BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-22-2015, 04:43 AM   #23
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Congrats!! Love the color and the car. I will be doing the same in the next 2-3 years. What options did your M235i have? I was trying to trade mine in and got low-balled by dealer. lol. My original MSRP was something like $48.5K.
I had most options on the M235i, missing was the heated steering wheel, high beam assist, and parallel parking feature. The sticker price was $51K and change. To be honest, I was hoping for $43K for the trade, but there was room on the Cayman so I was able to get $1250 off the asking price.

When I was asking around the local Porsche dealerships in No. VA they all were willing to give a discount off the sticker. The range was $3K - $4.5K on a new ordered vehicle. Nearly pulled the trigger on a '16 Cayman GTS listed for $89K with all my option choices. Walking out with '14 Cayman S with all my choices except Navigation for just over $68K was good choice. Like I said earlier, I usually sell my car within 2 years or less so this will hurt less when I go to trade this one in .
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 06:31 AM   #24
M2-BM35i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2Comp

So when are we going to get some 'comparative' analysis on the differences between the Cay S and M235i ?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 09:13 AM   #25
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
I had most options on the M235i, missing was the heated steering wheel, high beam assist, and parallel parking feature. The sticker price was $51K and change. To be honest, I was hoping for $43K for the trade, but there was room on the Cayman so I was able to get $1250 off the asking price.

When I was asking around the local Porsche dealerships in No. VA they all were willing to give a discount off the sticker. The range was $3K - $4.5K on a new ordered vehicle. Nearly pulled the trigger on a '16 Cayman GTS listed for $89K with all my option choices. Walking out with '14 Cayman S with all my choices except Navigation for just over $68K was good choice. Like I said earlier, I usually sell my car within 2 years or less so this will hurt less when I go to trade this one in .
Why not just lease?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 02:54 PM   #26
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Congrats! Made the switch to a P-Car last year and haven't looked back
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 08:45 PM   #27
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
I'm going to leave the "Cayman S" badge. It looks much better blacked out, and I have never kept a car more than 2 years so leaving as stock for the next buyer or trade in is better on then off.

Took my car nut friend out tonight for a joy ride around the neighborhood and he had a giant smile on his face the whole time. He sold his 2012 Maserati Quattroporte last year and said this car is way more fun! Went through a couple under-passes in low gear with wide open throttle for sound joy. What a great night in the new car.
I have seen people do the 'S' in red to match the brakes also.

Racing yellow is a great color for 981.

You know what they say, once you have gone Porsche, you will not go back. Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 04:05 AM   #28
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Why not just lease?
I compared leasing a new GTS ($89K with options) to buying the '14 S ($68K same options). Though the GTS has some nice standard features and engine upgrade I really only needed just a few options added to my desired car. The lease would have been $1275 with 5,000 miles a year for 3 years (no where as good as BMW leasing). The S is $1060 a month for 72 months. The '14 S looks brand new and drives like it with only 9100 miles at delivery so I went with the cheaper price dream car.

To get the car under book value as quick as possible I will be making $1K payments twice a month. This will have the car paid for by June 2018, or under $50K after 1 year in case something better catches my eye for 2017 model year. Being able to make a large payment each month was easier for me than dropping $30K down on the initial buy; especially since I was able to get a really low interest rate loan.

Last edited by Delnari; 04-24-2015 at 04:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 04:13 AM   #29
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep

Just had the car detailed with a 1 year sealant and tire dye. A couple very, very small paint chips repaired as well. Now it looks like a showroom car. I'm enjoying just looking and sitting in the car as much as driving it

Pulling the steering wheel off on Sunday and shipping to a re-covering shop in Dallas, TX to be done in Alcantara and Racing Yellow stitching. After having my M235i with Alcantara steering wheel I can't drive without it.

Appreciate 2
      04-24-2015, 04:58 PM   #30
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
I compared leasing a new GTS ($89K with options) to buying the '14 S ($68K same options). Though the GTS has some nice standard features and engine upgrade I really only needed just a few options added to my desired car. The lease would have been $1275 with 5,000 miles a year for 3 years (no where as good as BMW leasing). The S is $1060 a month for 72 months. The '14 S looks brand new and drives like it with only 9100 miles at delivery so I went with the cheaper price dream car.

To get the car under book value as quick as possible I will be making $1K payments twice a month. This will have the car paid for by June 2018, or under $50K after 1 year in case something better catches my eye for 2017 model year. Being able to make a large payment each month was easier for me than dropping $30K down on the initial buy; especially since I was able to get a really low interest rate loan.
+1 on the comparison with leasing / financing the cheaper price dream car.

Whats the advantage of making those larger payments twice a month to get the car under book value as quick as possible?
I have done the same thing bought my X3 for 42k in Aug 14' out the door negotiated originally from 45k, had to pay 3k in sales tax when i registered the car =\ got a loan for 35k and only owe 29k now.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 11:04 AM   #31
M2-BM35i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2-BM35i View Post
So when are we going to get some 'comparative' analysis on the differences between the Cay S and M235i ?
Bump...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 03:00 PM   #32
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Not want to steal this thread, but if you`ll allow me I can say something about differences between an 1M and an Cayman GTS.

BMW 6IL TT, 340 HP, 450-500NM overboost, 6MT, Hydraulicall Power Steering, steel brakes vs Porsche flat 6 NA, 340 HP, 380Nm, 7PDK, Electrical Power Steering, PCCB

How it compares;

Engine;
-torque of the 1M is out of this world, overboost is addictive, relatively quiet and smooth as 6IL are famous for.
-GTS is very rev happy, it`s a screamer, best engine/exhaust sound, head turner, relatively noisy and more raw, it has more presence.

Transmission;
-PDK is fast, I mean really fast, different modes possible, SPORT + will kick your ass just fine, although it creeps at stand still (always have to apply brakes)
- 6MT is smooth as butter

Steering;
- I would say initial steering input on the 1M is slightly faster/quicker, more nose heavy obviously, it does feel more weighted/heavier. Very high speed stable as I had JRZ-RS1 dampers and Eibach lowering springs installed, no rolling and no nose diving on hard braking what so ever.
- The Porker steering shines when driving fast, with quick inputs it will settle the car better, the car is lighter so high corner speeds are easy accessible. The car is a little softer on the whole, and has more role in it while fast cornering.

Brakes;
-Steel brakes 1M are fine for daily driving, but have a little "swamp" feeling to them
-PCCB is just unbelievable, it has a thight pedal feel, I thought the 1M brakes where just fine (which they are) until I drove the Cayman, you`ll tell en feel the difference instantaneously.

Exterior
- 1M low profile car, only enthusiasts will recognize it.
- GTS is a 1st class head turner, cop magnet and womanizers car. Even people who don`t give a damn about cars are looking, well that tells the story.

Interior;
Really good on both cars, alcantara all over the place. The main difference for me; you sit on top of the Bimmer and in the Porker, seats are too high on the 1M, the Porker is low, as meant to be for a sports car.

Well this sums it up all right, any questions? Feel free to ask.

Which one is better? I can`t tell, that is why I have both of them

Last edited by Romo; 04-28-2015 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-28-2015, 04:50 PM   #33
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep

The M235i was best driving car I had to that point. It is mechanically sound and best I ever experienced including some Honda's a decade back. With the modifications, sport muffler, M Performance interior, and piggyback boxes, it was a fun car to drive.

Only issue with the M235i, for me, it looks like a typical BMW car. The newer BMW's are looking nearly the same without a lot of major body differences. To most, that is a very good thing and helps BMW sell cars. I wanted something that stood out from the normal crowd and just screams "sports car".

The Cayman gives me that "just want to look at it and drive it" feeling every time I see it. It feels perfect when you slide down into the seat and fire up that flat 6 engine which roars with wonderful overrun sounds on throttle lift. The steering is heavy weighted and just perfect handling at any speed. PDK is a wonderful dual-clutch transmission that shifts even faster than the ZF in the M235i. You have to get the rpms above 4800 to experience the true excitement the engine has to offer and deliver extreme loads of fun power.

One of the reasons I have always lust after the Cayman since 2006 was the mid-engine design, fast back rear, and low weight. I like the 911's, but something about the Cayman with those side intakes just says Sports Car. One drive and I was sold. Affording it was a tough pill given the BMW was the most expensive car I had ever owned prior and spending nearly $70K on a used (albeit slightly) car had me second, third, and fourth guessing. What did allow me to go for it was the wife's blessing. She knew how much I loved this car since I saw it in 2006 and said get your dream car.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 05:24 PM   #34
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128

Quote:
The M235i was best driving car I had to that point. It is mechanically sound and best I ever experienced including some Honda's a decade back. With the modifications, sport muffler, M Performance interior, and piggyback boxes, it was a fun car to drive.

Only issue with the M235i, for me, it looks like a typical BMW car. The newer BMW's are looking nearly the same without a lot of major body differences. To most, that is a very good thing and helps BMW sell cars. I wanted something that stood out from the normal crowd and just screams "sports car".

The Cayman gives me that "just want to look at it and drive it" feeling every time I see it. It feels perfect when you slide down into the seat and fire up that flat 6 engine which roars with wonderful overrun sounds on throttle lift. The steering is heavy weighted and just perfect handling at any speed. PDK is a wonderful dual-clutch transmission that shifts even faster than the ZF in the M235i. You have to get the rpms above 4800 to experience the true excitement the engine has to offer and deliver extreme loads of fun power.

One of the reasons I have always lust after the Cayman since 2006 was the mid-engine design, fast back rear, and low weight. I like the 911's, but something about the Cayman with those side intakes just says Sports Car. One drive and I was sold. Affording it was a tough pill given the BMW was the most expensive car I had ever owned prior and spending nearly $70K on a used (albeit slightly) car had me second, third, and fourth guessing. What did allow me to go for it was the wife's blessing. She knew how much I loved this car since I saw it in 2006 and said get your dream car.
Good for you man! The Cayman has ALWAYS been my dream car, I even thought I would get one as a daily driver. But then again, things change, now I have a four month old boy and I'm looking forward to him going on long trips w me in my 1er. That Cayman, I'm sure there will be one for me out there in the future!

Enjoy it man, P-cars are awesome they all say (Rennlist member here! )
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 10:42 AM   #35
M2-BM35i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Hey Delnari - hows the cayman s?

I found that you feel the speed quite a bit more in the Porsche than the BMW, which in itself is quite nice

I went in Caym GTS recently and I'm not sure its really better than the S in truth...

I would defin get the S if I wasn't at such high altitude!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 01:05 PM   #36
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Car is gorgeous.

Only thing I would change would be the wheels, but not to 20s. I think the ride would be much better with 19s, plus tires are far cheaper. Go with some nice forged 19s and wrap them in Michelin PSS for spring/summer, then rock the stock 19s with Michelin all seasons for fall and winter.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 01:51 PM   #37
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Car is gorgeous.

Only thing I would change would be the wheels, but not to 20s. I think the ride would be much better with 19s, plus tires are far cheaper. Go with some nice forged 19s and wrap them in Michelin PSS for spring/summer, then rock the stock 19s with Michelin all seasons for fall and winter.
Michelin Spring/Summer
Conti DWS fall/winter

Plus the new DWS06 were just released, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (NEW) didn't beat the DWS (Old) in Winter capabilities, now the DWS06 should outperform the A/S 3 in every category.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 08:53 AM   #38
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep

Had the steering wheel wrapped in Alcantara (like the M Performance Steering Wheel). Now it feels good in my hands every drive. Just over $400 with shipping. Changed out the carpet mats for Porsche all-weather mats inside and in the frunk and rear hatch cargo area.

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 10:03 AM   #39
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Had the steering wheel wrapped in Alcantara (like the M Performance Steering Wheel). Now it feels good in my hands every drive. Just over $400 with shipping. Changed out the carpet mats for Porsche all-weather mats inside and in the frunk and rear hatch cargo area.

$50 cheaper than from factory, not bad....looks great
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 09:39 AM   #40
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
nice ride. i notice a lot of bmw lovers making the switch.

where did you get it wrapped? looks good.
      05-28-2015, 10:02 AM   #41
Timujin
Major
Rep
Drives: GMC Sierra

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Great car. I see you got YELLOW. I did 7 laps at LVMS in a Cayman GTS and loved the car.
      05-28-2015, 10:02 AM   #42
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsche View Post
$50 cheaper than from factory, not bad....looks great
getting deviated stitching is WAY more money through Porsche so he got a good price.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 10:03 PM   #43
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep

The company I used was Dallas Custom Steering Wheel. If I knew about them before I purchased the BMW M Performance steering wheel I would have went with them instead.

The car is doing just great! Did catch a little driveway transition a couple weeks ago and scraped a small piece of the protective wrap from underneath near the front spoiler. Just put some touch-up paint to cover it so no big deal and can only be seen from under the front of the car anyway.

Driving the car mostly on the weekend and a few times into the office downtown. The overrun sound is terrific when the sport exhaust is turned on. When the windows are down and in first gear it sounds like gun fire , but in a good way. Very close to the same overrun sound as the new Jaguar F Type makes. The more HP GTS version suppose to be even louder which might be a bit over the top.

The PDK transmission is by far the best automatic in both manual and auto mode of any car I have driven to date. The shifts are really fast and seamless without any drama or harshness. Combine the overrun sound and the throttle blip on downshifts makes the sweetest sound you ever wanted from a sport car. Really want to give it a really good go at it, but living in Virginia I need to pick my time and place to do so. Maybe I'll run it up to northern Maryland tomorrow where they don't have mandatory reckless driving for excessive speed. Did have a VA police officer talk to me at a red light last week on my way to work, "You need to watch your speed!" he said. Took a look up and down the side of the car and smiled, "But I understand". He drove off smiling and I wave as he did. I love this frickin car!!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 02:33 AM   #44
socal619
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Congrats on the new pimp ride!
Appreciate 0