BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

12-11-2015, 09:08 AM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Damage From Turning Steering Wheel Too Fast??

Anyone ever accidentally turn your steering wheel too fast and hear a bad clunk or bang?

Happened once or twice before, but not as bad as what I heard last night when I turned to go around a car that stopped short in traffic.

Rest of the night I was double guessing myself on whether the car now has tendency to pull to the right or that the steering wheel is now somehow off center.

It's as if the power steering works past a point at which it should moderate, causing the wheels or the system to knock into something?

Anyone know what's happening when this happens? What's being hit? Can damage result?

Thank you.

Last edited by dbs600; 12-11-2015 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 05:01 PM   #2
frieseke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 750li

I know what you are talking about. In fact my car does the same thing. I've never worried about it but I can tell you a story about it. I was at the dealership getting an oil change on my car and I was visiting with the mechanic doing the job since it was an easy job and he was talking about someone that came in complaining that the car went clunk when you turned the steering wheel fast. I guess they had a pile of difficulty with it trying to replicate the problem and they never could. Long story short it was when the wheel goes to full lock it does clunk a bit and its totally normal but the customer was freaking out about it and they got the easiest 3 hour call out to get that fixed ever.

We then talked about how sometimes the one side of the car stays lit when they would walk away from it. Turns out that is also a feature where you hit the signal light on the way out of the car and it would turn on the leds on the side you hit so that the car isn't dark on the side of the road in case you run out of fuel. They had to find that gremlin in the code too!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 09:03 PM   #3
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

XDrive model?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 04:11 PM   #4
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Thanks, Gentlemen.

Yes, it's xDrive.

Wish I would've gone with RWD; fewer parts to fail and fewer drivetrain complaints from what I understand.

Otherwise, thanks for the confirmation I'm not imagining this, frieseke.

:|
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #5
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600
Thanks, Gentlemen.

Yes, it's xDrive.

Wish I would've gone with RWD; fewer parts to fail and fewer drivetrain complaints from what I understand.

Otherwise, thanks for the confirmation I'm not imagining this, frieseke.

:|
No you're not imagining anything nor is it a problem if it's only occasional under these circumstances. On AWD vehicles, with the steering wheel near or at full lock, and little to no forward momentum, the front axle of the inside wheel will bind momentarily until the front diff unlocks. It's simply a matter of physics interrupting engineering momentarily.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 12:09 AM   #6
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten View Post
No you're not imagining anything nor is it a problem if it's only occasional under these circumstances. On AWD vehicles, with the steering wheel near or at full lock, and little to no forward momentum, the front axle of the inside wheel will bind momentarily until the front diff unlocks. It's simply a matter of physics interrupting engineering momentarily.
Thanks!

So no damage is done?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 02:04 PM   #7
frieseke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 750li

No damage done. The car is acting normally.

Best of travels!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 02:06 PM   #8
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Great!
Appreciate 0