BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-14-2016, 10:41 PM   #111
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Brown noser
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 10:42 PM   #112
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Maybe i'm mistaken, but it seems the issue changed from Kap's protest to national anthems having no place at sporting events. There are lots of sporting events in the US. While i do think professional athletes are over paid and over praised (just like entertainment celebrities) i feel like they should recognize that the country they live in is likely the only one on the planet in which they had the opportunity to become what they have become.
      09-14-2016, 10:42 PM   #113
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny's X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
Pro football players are so overpaid, it's ridiculous. Let's make it harder for people to become teachers and cops and then give them more training and pay them millions instead.
I've read through hundreds of comments from various websites involving this controversy. This comment has got to be the best!!!
Hehe, I should run for president! Oops, I'm not even American though
Appreciate 2
jgoens3787.50
C1Boston103.00
      09-14-2016, 11:07 PM   #114
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
No, becoming a financial success isn't more amazing than doing so through professional channels. The point is, those who don't have the aptitude to become a success through professional channels still are afforded an opportunity for financial success. That opportunity isn't available in most countries that aren't considered free.

Then why isn't your point also, those who don't have the aptitude to become a success through sporting channels still are afforded an opportunity for financial success through professional channels? You think in countries that aren't free, professionals have opportunities for financial success? Talk to a doctor or engineer in North Korea about that. I bet good basketball players do much better in north korea than professionals do.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 11:22 PM   #115
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I really cared a lot about professional sports, but then I graduated high school.

The incessant, downright ridiculous obsession this country has with watching grown men play a child's game will always make me sick. They idolize these buffoons to the point where they have no problem spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars to go worship their idols, for some stupid game which will be forgot in a week, all so these clowns can make millions only to be broke again 3-5 years out of the game.

What's even creepier to me is how bad it is for college sports now. I mean the adulation and hero worship at the pro level is revolting enough, but grown men going to college games and worshiping 17-21 year olds? Sick stuff people, go get a hobby.
Appreciate 2
bimmette6453.50
      09-14-2016, 11:26 PM   #116
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I really cared a lot about professional sports, but then I graduated high school.

The incessant, downright ridiculous obsession this country has with watching grown men play a child's game will always make me sick. They idolize these buffoons to the point where they have no problem spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars to go worship their idols, for some stupid game which will be forgot in a week, all so these clowns can make millions only to be broke again 3-5 years out of the game.

What's even creepier to me is how bad it is for college sports now. I mean the adulation and hero worship at the pro level is revolting enough, but grown men going to college games and worshiping 17-21 year olds? Sick stuff people, go get a hobby.
Non athlete.
Appreciate 1
VRG_135836.50
      09-14-2016, 11:31 PM   #117
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:

Slam dunk. If we cared half as much about hunger/poverty/disease as we care about football, we wouldn't have any problems at all.
Appreciate 2
bimmette6453.50
NickyC17484.50
      09-14-2016, 11:34 PM   #118
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m3mr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
No, becoming a financial success isn't more amazing than doing so through professional channels. The point is, those who don't have the aptitude to become a success through professional channels still are afforded an opportunity for financial success. That opportunity isn't available in most countries that aren't considered free.

Then why isn't your point also, those who don't have the aptitude to become a success through sporting channels still are afforded an opportunity for financial success through professional channels? You think in countries that aren't free, professionals have opportunities for financial success? Talk to a doctor or engineer in North Korea about that. I bet good basketball players do much better in north korea than professionals do.
Because my point is that of all the countries on the planet, the US is the best chance most athletes have to gain a platform in which to publicly protest the national anthem on a world level. Without the very country they are protesting, they most likely wouldn't have a voice to protest with.

Undeniable fact that the US offers the most opportunity for collegiate and professional sports careers.

Edit: Didn't even touch on the freedom allowed to protest the national anthem of the country that affords him that freedom. I bet if good basketball players North Korea protested the national anthem, they wouldn't exist anymore.

Last edited by Mr Tonka; 09-15-2016 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 05:28 AM   #119
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Same point can be made about the athletes deciding now is the time to make a political statement during the national anthem / before a sporting event. Why not last year, or the year before, or two years ago, and so on.
because cops weren't afraid of black men last year, or the year before.
So no issues between black men and cops before 12 mos. ago? Or is it just no bandwagon to jump on until recently?
      09-15-2016, 06:10 AM   #120
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Again, who cares? Let him do what he wants.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      09-15-2016, 06:11 AM   #121
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
Pro football players are so overpaid, it's ridiculous. Let's make it harder for people to become teachers and cops and then give them more training and pay them millions instead.
Relative to the amount of money theybring in and the sacrifices they have to make to do so? No.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 06:49 AM   #122
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msizzle View Post
I can't stand how everyone says "freedom of speech" or "second ammendment" Those laws are to protect us from the government prosecuting you for opposing them NOT walk around and do and say what you want. I'll give you all an example, go to work tomorrow, walk up to our boss and say " I think your wife is a fat disgusting cunt and I wanna piss on your kids" You would be obviously fired before you finish the sentence, but wait you have freedom of speech don't you??? What if I wanna go in time square and burn a flag tomorrow?? Paint a swastika on my cheeks??A white player choosing to warm up with a white hood over his head??? We still have a decorum as a society and as far as I'm concerned the anthem falls in that.
freedom=responsibility=consequence.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 07:54 AM   #123
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msizzle View Post
I can't stand how everyone says "freedom of speech" or "second ammendment" Those laws are to protect us from the government prosecuting you for opposing them NOT walk around and do and say what you want. I'll give you all an example, go to work tomorrow, walk up to our boss and say " I think your wife is a fat disgusting cunt and I wanna piss on your kids" You would be obviously fired before you finish the sentence, but wait you have freedom of speech don't you??? What if I wanna go in time square and burn a flag tomorrow?? Paint a swastika on my cheeks??A white player choosing to warm up with a white hood over his head??? We still have a decorum as a society and as far as I'm concerned the anthem falls in that.
For all of the examples above the "freedom of speech" says the government won't arrest or prosecute you for it, nothing says your employer can't fire you by there own rules. Many positions in society are held to much higher standards than what the government requires.

Similar to not being allowed to have visible tatoos, men having earings, etc., some employers won't allow it.

I fully support his right as a U.S. citizen to not stand up during the anthem but I can still hate his actions, and if I was his employer or a prospective employer I would consider all of his actions when it came time to look at him for continued employment in my organization or for him to join my organization. Actions can still have consequences whether or not the government allows those actions.
      09-15-2016, 08:14 AM   #124
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So no issues between black men and cops before 12 mos. ago? Or is it just no bandwagon to jump on until recently?
Of course there were issue's, but like i said cops were not afraid.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 08:16 AM   #125
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Relative to the amount of money theybring in and the sacrifices they have to make to do so? No.
It's kinda sad but you're right.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 09:06 AM   #126
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
Of course there were issue's, but like i said cops were not afraid.
So cops had no issues with blacks until about a year ago when they all of a sudden were afraid and started shooting them?

Your argument is moronic. Race relations didnt just all of a sudden take a step back. In fact, over the last 10 years, Police involved shootings of African Americans has, drum roll please, stayed the same across the US or even decreased in some areas. The reason you are seeing all this outrage now, and not 10 years ago is the rise of social media, and the latest craze of how many clicks can i get. Add to it a President who hasnt done anything to help the divide and now the less intelligent think its an epidemic.

Quote:

Was beat up in HS by athletes.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 09:26 AM   #127
9krpmrx8
Clean is the new cool, keep it that way.
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine White 335i Sedan

I have played and been a Football fan my entire life and I don't worship anyone. I enjoy the game and it is a hobby to watch Football and play FF.
Appreciate 2
VRG_135836.50
Mr Tonka6058.00
      09-15-2016, 09:33 AM   #128
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
So cops had no issues with blacks until about a year ago when they all of a sudden were afraid and started shooting them?

Your argument is moronic. Race relations didnt just all of a sudden take a step back. In fact, over the last 10 years, Police involved shootings of African Americans has, drum roll please, stayed the same across the US or even decreased in some areas. The reason you are seeing all this outrage now, and not 10 years ago is the rise of social media, and the latest craze of how many clicks can i get. Add to it a President who hasnt done anything to help the divide and now the less intelligent think its an epidemic.
moronic lol haha. I'm talking about cops getting killed smartguy. not cops killing us, they been killing us forever.
      09-15-2016, 09:58 AM   #129
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
moronic lol haha. I'm talking about cops getting killed smartguy. not cops killing us, they been killing us forever.
That is also down over the last 10 years. Moronic argument still

do some fucking research instead of spewing the BS you hear from other BSers
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 09:59 AM   #130
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
So you're saying the NFL players are protesting during the national anthem because cops are now afraid of black guys and the cops are getting killed?
      09-15-2016, 10:01 AM   #131
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
So you're saying the NFL players are protesting during the national anthem because cops are now afraid of black guys and the cops are getting killed?
he doesnt know what he is saying now.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 10:01 AM   #132
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
no sir what we are talking about is totally off topic.