BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

11-24-2014, 02:28 PM   #111
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Compared to an S-Class, this is underwhelming. I hope the full reveal proves me wrong.
2017 F55 Mini Cooper S
2015 F22 BMW M235i
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #112
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croatian test driver View Post
Not really liking the center console. That's exactly the part I hate the most by the current 3 series (the fact that the console is not going all the way down to the bottom) and it looks like they are leaning against this design, at least a little bit, which would be pretty disappointing. Even though it looks better than the 3 series center console, of course. But I much more preferred the center console design of the 5, 6 and current 7 series.
Because of many features already incorporated into the iDrive many current BMW models use this design to position all controls direct to the driver with less clutter and the use of blank surfaces which in lower models would be an expanse of plastic and also allow larger storage areas with the transmission console.
      11-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #113
Art__Vandelay
Lieutenant Colonel
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Because of many features already incorporated into the iDrive many current BMW models use this design to position all controls direct to the driver with less clutter and the use of blank surfaces which in lower models would be an expanse of plastic and also allow larger storage areas with the transmission console.
I don't deny that there is a logic behind, but I just don't like the look of it.

For example, comparing the interior of the 3 series an the new C Class, i much more prefer the Mercedes center console (of course, except this stupid nav screen).

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #114
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
If we were to compare both the VFL and the 7er they are similar in some areas but both are designed to be completely independent from each other.

The rules of the segment have changed especially in regards to affordable and high end luxury. The 7er as is the S-Klasse is in the affordable luxury category that is why they are not so exclusive. The VFL was to show were the market is heading especially for the next phase of the luxury market.
It is a concept that demonstrated a vision for a more exclusive BMW to which some customers want.

Vision Future Luxury is currently on a global feedback tour where currently it is in South Korea where 300 VIP potential customers will get an inside look at the car.

The VFL does give a view to the appearance of the new 7er in terms of design elements such as L shaped headlights and chiseled features but both cars can be distinguished when parked aside.

The Carbon cell structure within the VFL shows the structure of the next RR Phantom. Its the impossible made possible by using CFRP in a standard production car and especially a car like the 7er. And even more satisfying that it all begins a revolution for BMW in which are competitors are commentating on that it is too expense to use for them to utilise.
will it look like the VFL? exterior and interior?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 02:51 PM   #115
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
I don't deny that there is a logic behind, but I just don't like the look of it.

For example, comparing the interior of the 3 series an the new C Class, i much more prefer the Mercedes center console (of course, except this stupid nav screen).

wait for the new 3 series before you compare it to the new c class...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #116
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:

C-Klasse does not have a centre transmission. It is located at the right side of the steering column. Therefore they can utilise that space.
      11-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #117
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungDro View Post
will it look like the VFL? exterior and interior?
No both VFL and 7er are designed to be completely independent from each other even though they usher in the next phase of BMW design language.

The high set thinner lights are something that will be seen on the next 6er.
Attached Images

11-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #118
Art__Vandelay
Lieutenant Colonel
Croatia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungDro View Post
wait for the new 3 series before you compare it to the new c class...
Well the 3 series is only 2 years older than the new C Class. It's not like I'm comparing the Audi A4 with the C Class (which is more than 6 years older).
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 03:13 PM   #119
Art__Vandelay
Lieutenant Colonel
Croatia
Rep

Quote:
C-Klasse does not have a centre transmission. It is located at the right side of the steering column. Therefore they can utilise that space.
Thanks for the information, does this mean that BMW will bring this design in all subsequent models?

As for instance, I love the interior of the current 6 series, probably the most beautiful BMW interior design.

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #120
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the information, does this mean that BMW will bring this design in all subsequent models?

As for instance, I love the interior of the current 6 series, probably the most beautiful BMW interior design.

The 6er in a way already has it if you look at the position of the console.
The 6er is a lower car than the 3er so the transmission tunnel is slightly higher.
But if we remove the media controls and place the HVAC controls higher then you see there would be a considerable space which means having to raise the centre console and make the transmission console occupy the space.
      11-24-2014, 03:53 PM   #121
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Good stuff!

I sure hope at some point automakers will start making interchangeable technology hardware. You can't run iOS8 on the original iPhone, so one would assume you can't run the latest iDrive software on an older iDrive system.

I guess what I'm getting at is for people into technology, buying a CPO or used BMW really feels like a major compromise as compared to new due to the evolving technologies that stem from both software as well as the hardware it takes to run such technology. If the hardware were more easily upgradable it wouldn't be such a compromise. Expensive, sure, but find a way to wrap it up into the financing and I bet a lot of consumers would just say to "do it."

As much as a smart-phone can do in a tiny package, it shouldn't be completely unreasonable to think this should be possible at some point.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 04:44 PM   #122
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Good stuff!

Though, looking at those pictures ^... I think the BMW interior looks a little less desirable
      11-24-2014, 04:46 PM   #123
Faust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Vauxhall Calibra, M3 (E46)

Seriously BMW must be having a laugh. This interior design is similar to freaking 1-Series sedan.

For all the expected upscale fit, finish, production materials and trims, the design is as plain as that of the new 1er sedan! It just look cheap and boring.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #124
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

What legitimate reason is there for a friggin touch screen this late in the game. . . I really like the eye drive system I don't have to move my right hand far from the shifter! LAME.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 05:17 PM   #125
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

I'm sure this car won't disappoint

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #126
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post
What legitimate reason is there for a friggin touch screen this late in the game. . . I really like the eye drive system I don't have to move my right hand far from the shifter! LAME.
Its what customers want now.
      11-24-2014, 05:31 PM   #127
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

There is new technology coming with the 7er which will provide a genuine first for the segment. Its a competition after all and everyone has to bring something new and continue to innovate to attract the customer. If you are primarily concerned about one competitor and you do your best and throw a mega-huge budget to imitate rather than innovate then you change nothing. This segment is to offer luxury and innovation at the highest peak to existing and new customers everything cannot be the same.

As in BMWs case they own the high end luxury brand Rolls-Royce in which both brands can not cross-pollinate, there can and will be a bridge but they will still have additional room to co-exist.

Essentially this is about the user interface. Internet connectivity is all good and well but the deciding factor will now depend on how you deliver this information to the driver and the co-driver. ConnectedDrive is something already available in our vehicles today. This is the next development using familiar and more popular touch screen technology.

Here the driver enters a city he doesn’t know. The car is in contact with the environment picking up information about restaurants, bars and entertainment that sink into the car and are delivered to the co-pilot who gets this information on the personal display.
The co-pilot can then ask for more information on events etc buy tickets on-line it so all about convenience from your car. The co-pilot then swipes this information to the driver interface, the navigation then directs the car to the destination.

The user interface will be a much more integral part of the car’s interior and the challenge was to express this technology in a more conventional seamless way.
Here the driver has two screens in front of him or her that have a three-dimensional effect so that we can display information in the order of importance – the closer it gets it becomes more relevant to the driving information. Then the head up display projects information in a distance.

The head-up display uses augmented reality so that you look into the windscreen you see the city, but you see an arrow pointing into the street that you want to go into.

As illustrated by the 2011 Vision ConnectedDrive Concept.
Attached Images

11-24-2014, 05:34 PM   #128
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
If there is any plastic in the interior, BMW messed up. The S-Class has all leather, wood, aluminum and little if any plastic. BMW keeps leaving the shifter area in cheap plastic and I don't know why especially in this price range.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #129
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

G11 miniature anyone?

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #130
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
If there is any plastic in the interior, BMW messed up. The S-Class has all leather, wood, aluminum and little if any plastic. BMW keeps leaving the shifter area in cheap plastic and I don't know why especially in this price range.
It will be covered with wood and leather like the X5 and X6.
      11-24-2014, 06:02 PM   #131
BMW-ALPINA
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50, F11 M550d, E70 X5

Garage List
Wow. So far it looks terrible. F01 7 Series looks amazing. This seems (so far) like shit.

Who the hell wants touch screen which means spots and dirt, rather than a comfortable operation of the wheel in the center console?

This is very disappointing, and it appears that the S-Class has already won this battle.

We get at least hope that it gets LED turn signal available, as Kia and other cheap cars have. Oh, wait.. it will be available for facelift in 2020.

Crap!
      11-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #132
L27
Private
Tunisia
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post
who knows.. maybe the driver will be able to control everything from the i drive system, or using the touchscreen
Appreciate 0