BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

11-25-2014, 02:01 AM   #155
Jai 302
Banned
Rep
Drives: F13 640i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
The 7 hasn't measured up to the S class in quite some time, this shouldn't come as a shock to anyone to be completely honest. They are also nowhere near in price point. 7 STARTS at $74K, whereas the S Class STARTS at $92K. BMW hasn't had a S Class competitor in a long time. Whole different league that S Class...

With that said, I too also am not fond of touchscreen. The OCD in me hates the fingerprints. Glad they are still retaining the touchpad.

Finally, BMW has always been to me, considered; "Sport with a dash of Luxury". MB has always been "Luxury with a dash of Sport" (mostly in AMG trim of course )

MB has made much more improvements in the "sport" section, while continuing to develop the spit and polish of their vehicles. It just depends on the consumer, what's more important to you?
You are aware that the US market =/= the rest of the world right? The "74k" BMW 740i has a 6cyl turbo and competes with an S400, not an S550. The direct competitor to an S550/500 is the 750i and the prices of those two are close. I'm pretty sure Mercedes is going to bring an S400 to the US soon, now that they've already launched the SL400 there.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 03:29 AM   #156
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
G11 miniature anyone?

So Scott, is that the G11 that we see heavily pixellated on the iDrive screen?

Last edited by advantage20; 11-25-2014 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 07:26 AM   #157
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

Scott, I think most people's complaints are simply because they really like BMW and want them to do a better job in certain areas.

Trust me, that's a good thing.

Also, it's not that the interior we see here (even if it is not fully ready) is so bad as much as we now know what the VFL interior looks like and that is what we want- that fresh and unique eye popping design.

Ask yourself this Scott- would you honestly prefer this interior over the VFL's?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 07:26 AM   #158
Zayken
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: IX1 30e / f40 118i

BMW has lost it . Please put a 1 series interior photo and compare . Everything looks the same . i mean anybody would think that this interior could belong to a well equipped 1 series . Mercedes and Audi are much more differantiated inside nowdays .
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 08:08 AM   #159
CurbBender'90
S
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 S65

Well this goes to MB S550 and beyond, BMW isn't special anymore just copy and share all the interiors. They will quickly become 3 third in this segment. They are way to money driven without adding much value to the cars STANDARD! But anyways the iPad in the dash, who the fuck thought of that period.
      11-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #160
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
I am a huge BMW fan and have never ever liked MB, BUT......I don't care if they cover this entire interior with wood and leather, I think it will fall short of the s-class interior. MB just did an amazing job on the s-class interior it's as if they were aiming for Rolls or Bentley rather than anything in its existing price point.
That's because Mercedes has room to do so since they don't have a direct Bentley/Rolls Royce competitor. I understand that BMW doesn't want the 7-Series to creep close to Rolls Royce offerings, but just from the spy shots which we don't know if it's final or not, they could do a lot more than mimic the same dash layout found the 1er and 3er.

If BMW didn't do what they did with the 6er interior, I wouldn't mind too much because I would think, well this is BMW being BMW, simplistic and functional dash. If the G11 doesn't drastically change, I just don't understand how they could put out a 6er interior and go back to the traditional BMW dash at this price point.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #161
E60MKF
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 MY2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
That's because Mercedes has room to do so since they don't have a direct Bentley/Rolls Royce competitor. I understand that BMW doesn't want the 7-Series to creep close to Rolls Royce offerings, but just from the spy shots which we don't know if it's final or not, they could do a lot more than mimic the same dash layout found the 1er and 3er.

If BMW didn't do what they did with the 6er interior, I wouldn't mind too much because I would think, well this is BMW being BMW, simplistic and functional dash. If the G11 doesn't drastically change, I just don't understand how they could put out a 6er interior and go back to the traditional BMW dash at this price point.
The Rolls Royce argument is completely flawed.. The 7 series starts at c£57k whereas the the Rolls starts at well over £150k. Most 7 series buyer would not be able to afford a Rolls..
BMW F30 MY2014 2014-2015
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 10:35 AM   #162
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

I can only assume the big red button is for the ejection seat, now a standard feature of the new BMW DisconnectedDrive safety platform.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 11:15 AM   #163
iamdabest1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3 dct

They gona have to go through hell and back to beat the S class , always king of its class followed by 7 series , a8, xj8 and ls460
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #164
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
The 7 hasn't measured up to the S class in quite some time, this shouldn't come as a shock to anyone to be completely honest. They are also nowhere near in price point. 7 STARTS at $74K, whereas the S Class STARTS at $92K. BMW hasn't had a S Class competitor in a long time. Whole different league that S Class...

With that said, I too also am not fond of touchscreen. The OCD in me hates the fingerprints. Glad they are still retaining the touchpad.

Finally, BMW has always been to me, considered; "Sport with a dash of Luxury". MB has always been "Luxury with a dash of Sport" (mostly in AMG trim of course )

MB has made much more improvements in the "sport" section, while continuing to develop the spit and polish of their vehicles. It just depends on the consumer, what's more important to you?
7 series has always been a S class competitor. even the audi A8 is..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 11:28 AM   #165
YungDro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Boy7 View Post
Well this goes to MB S550 and beyond, BMW isn't special anymore just copy and share all the interiors. They will quickly become 3 third in this segment. They are way to money driven without adding much value to the cars STANDARD! But anyways the iPad in the dash, who the fuck thought of that period.
The 6 series has the best interior ever within a car. i even prefer it over the new s class interior..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 11:53 AM   #166
X3paul
Banned
Rep
Drives: E9 CSi, Z4M coup, E65 730d, E4

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungDro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Boy7 View Post
The 6 series has the best interior ever within a car. i even prefer it over the new s class interior..
you havent seen the new merc gt amg coup or s class coup. It has quality the 6er but not on par with porsche, audi (just look at the plastics bmw uses on the auto seat buttons and the ones competitors use) and is blown away in drama and quality by merc s coup and gt. it is a bit dull imo. beat int bmw makes is the 5gt
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 11:58 AM   #167
YungDro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
you should try the new Mercedes C class interior-it fits like a glove; absolutely inviting; the 3/4 series looks like something from Soviet era in comparison.
and to think how sadly BMW finished; instead of making two versions of 3sedan (regular and the improved 4 Gran Coupe) they should concentrate on making one and that good; not to comment how badly was 3series GT executed (big potential-failed banana product).
ive sat in both the C class and 4 series. i prefer the 4 i like the way the seats hug you and everything is facing towards the driver.

the c class felt like a cheap s class crappy plastic materials. the centre cover nearly snapped as i opened it.. the c class interior may look similar to the S but quality wise no feels no where near as luxurious.. too cheap.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #168
YungDro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul View Post
you havent seen the new merc gt amg coup or s class coup. It has quality the 6er but not on par with porsche, audi (just look at the plastics bmw uses on the auto seat buttons and the ones competitors use) and is blown away in drama and quality by merc s coup and gt. it is a bit dull imo. beat int bmw makes is the 5gt
not sat in the amg gt yet.. but have in the s63 coupe thats nice. but my favourite is the 6 series its just perfect for me
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 12:03 PM   #169
Manbnda
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 AW

I agree, MB S Class seems to be in a different league than this.
All the new technology BMW show off, like laser lights, OLED tail lights (or something like that posted here about 4 months ago), and now this augmented reality thing, is technology that is far from being implemented, even in their flagship cars. Sort of irrelevant to me...

I mean, even Audi is proposing a new interface with the new TT. BTW, Good for Audi that they invested good on this car, instead of crying about the SUVs stealing sales from sports cars like BMW did. Now the TT will eat the cake completely against the Z4 and SLK. And I predict it will even steal some sales from the 2 series and 4 series, being a very chic coupe offering.

Is BMW (not iBMW) trying to be the "retro" offer in the market?

Last edited by Manbnda; 11-25-2014 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 12:07 PM   #170
YungDro
Major
Rep

Looks like this concept?????

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 12:15 PM   #171
X3paul
Banned
Rep
Drives: E9 CSi, Z4M coup, E65 730d, E4

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungDro
Looks like this concept?????

[IMG]http://www.blouinartinfo.com/sites/d...sb/655x490.jpg[/IMG]
If only. Have you seen what that concept turned into?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #172
puma1552
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 Mustang GT Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
There is new technology coming with the 7er which will provide a genuine first for the segment. Its a competition after all and everyone has to bring something new and continue to innovate to attract the customer. If you are primarily concerned about one competitor and you do your best and throw a mega-huge budget to imitate rather than innovate then you change nothing. This segment is to offer luxury and innovation at the highest peak to existing and new customers everything cannot be the same.
By giving it the same interior as a 1er or 3er?

As for the augmented reality, what a messy cluster of an idea. Why do I want to buy movie tickets through my car? All this technology crap is prone to result in more accidents, not less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
As in BMWs case they own the high end luxury brand Rolls-Royce in which both brands can not cross-pollinate, there can and will be a bridge but they will still have additional room to co-exist.
This car is not impressive. It could come up so far from where it is without touching Rolls-Royce. Sadly, the new C-class interior at half the price looks twice as nice as this. That's just the reality - I don't see a $74k or even a $100k car here, I see a glorified 320.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #173
YungDro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul View Post
If only. Have you seen what that concept turned into?
yeah that was the active tourer concept but maybe they are taking ideas from it cause it looks similiar from the spyshots hmmm BMWs customers want something like the future luxury concept they should just do it like that concept
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #174
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E60MKF View Post
The Rolls Royce argument is completely flawed.. The 7 series starts at c£57k whereas the the Rolls starts at well over £150k. Most 7 series buyer would not be able to afford a Rolls..
I'm not directly comparing the 7-Series to a Rolls Royce. My thoughts are that BMW is using a design that they think it appropriate for this price range. Everybody expects the 7-Series to have what the S-Class has but if BMW did do that, that price would increase significantly. The 760Li already costs $141,200, imagine if you had to spec that with all the stuff you could get in a S-Class, you're probably looking at $200,000+ which brings you into the realm of a Rolls Royce Ghost. BMW probably doesn't favour that scenario.

The S-Class on the other hand, since they don't have a competitor to the Bentley and Rolls Royce, they have the room from a price standpoint to do whatever they want from $95k all the way to $200,000 without intruding on another model.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 01:58 PM   #175
E60MKF
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 MY2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
I'm not directly comparing the 7-Series to a Rolls Royce. My thoughts are that BMW is using a design that they think it appropriate for this price range. Everybody expects the 7-Series to have what the S-Class has but if BMW did do that, that price would increase significantly. The 760Li already costs $141,200, imagine if you had to spec that with all the stuff you could get in a S-Class, you're probably looking at $200,000+ which brings you into the realm of a Rolls Royce Ghost. BMW probably doesn't favour that scenario.

The S-Class on the other hand, since they don't have a competitor to the Bentley and Rolls Royce, they have the room from a price standpoint to do whatever they want from $95k all the way to $200,000 without intruding on another model.
In the UK the 7 series starts at £57k and the Merc S-Class starts at £60k, the price difference between the two is marginal yet the quality of the cabins (even this concept) is worlds apart!
BMW F30 MY2014 2014-2015
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 02:18 PM   #176
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E60MKF View Post
In the UK the 7 series starts at £57k and the Merc S-Class starts at £60k, the price difference between the two is marginal yet the quality of the cabins (even this concept) is worlds apart!
If we're talking base cars here (S550 in the US, S500 in the UK?), I'm going to disagree with you slightly. While the S-Class is nicer based on how it's designed - it just looks more luxurious to BMW's modern & simplistic layout, the base models of both cars are nothing to really write home about.

The S-Class starts to stand out when you option a different wood trims, contrast stitching and quilted leather seats where even BMW Individual can't currently match it on the F01 but that's just my opinion.
Appreciate 0