BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

11-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #177
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
So Scott, is that the G11 that we see heavily pixellated on the iDrive screen?

Yes it is.
      11-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #178
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Looks like it does indeed have the hockey stick shaped aluminum trim along the side skirts inspired from the VFL Concept

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 04:38 PM   #179
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
Looks like it does indeed have the hockey stick shaped aluminum trim along the side skirts inspired from the VFL Concept

Yes it incorporates the AirBreather.
Attached Images

11-25-2014, 05:11 PM   #180
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

BMW finally realized Lexus was whooping their asses in the telematics category. GOOD job guys. Ten years later.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 05:15 PM   #181
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

WOW, there is more negative reaction from you guys, than from me a BMW "hater". I actually like what I'm seeing. It is going to be interesting, how all turns out, also with the other competitors, like Panamera, XJ, A8 and underdog LS.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 05:37 PM   #182
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Yes it incorporates the AirBreather.
Scott26 why doesnt the rear lights for the G11 use the OLED rear lights that are seen on the future vision concept?

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 05:42 PM   #183
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

That Technology will be introduced later.
Although the 7er will be available as an option with BMW laser-Light technology.
      11-25-2014, 07:07 PM   #184
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl
IPad in the dash. Fail. Dont they listen to the magazine reviews?
Have you driven an F-model with these high def screens? I was initially skeptical (having owned a half dozen E9x) but my F15's interior was an absolute pleasure.

Honestly- I'd wait for the final product before declaring this thing DOA.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 07:45 PM   #185
F82FTW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17' M3 ZCP, 88' M5 Blk/Blk US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Fox
Having seen the new S class last week, and thoroughly enjoying the interior appointments and refined electronics... I can say with some disappointment that the new 7 series does not seem to be in the same class as the S class. Not very impressive so far.
Agree 100%.

The new S class is in a whole other world compared with the 7.

As a hardcore BMW nut, this is quite a bummer to admit.
F80 M3 ZCP - Current...E28 M5 1/30 Blk/Blk US Spec - Current...17' 911 - SOLD...E90 M3 - Sold...F82 M4 - SOLD...F02 750Li - SOLD...Austin MINI - SOLD...E82 135is - SOLD...E89 Z4 - SOLD...F10 535i - SOLD...E30 325is - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 09:23 PM   #186
Erich2142
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Ducati 848

I dont care what sort of technology the new 7 series will come with. The interior looks exactly like my girlfriend's 2 series BMW. This stupid screen that looks like an iPad is so ugly, I wont even buy a new BMW until they get rid of it.
      11-25-2014, 09:41 PM   #187
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoz View Post
I dont care what sort of technology the new 7 series will come with. The interior looks exactly like my girlfriend's 2 series BMW. This stupid screen that looks like an iPad is so ugly, I wont even buy a new BMW until they get rid of it.
Guess you won't be buying anything German for the foreseeable future then...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 10:59 PM   #188
The long haul
Hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: Maserati Ghibli, E92m, FTR

Garage List
Quote:
Although the 7er will be available as an option with BMW laser-Light technology.
Scott,
Why not introduce it from the launch? Other manufactures are already ahead of the curve, doesn't BMW want to stay relevant? Instead of waiting for LCI or whatever this needs to be a now thing. Benz is killing you guys for this EXACT reason. 2 years later to introduce trending technology is unacceptable. You guys are pushing dual core technology in a quad core world bro.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 12:37 AM   #189
///S65
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SSII DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The long haul
Quote:
Scott,
Why not introduce it from the launch? Other manufactures are already ahead of the curve, doesn't BMW want to stay relevant? Instead of waiting for LCI or whatever this needs to be a now thing. Benz is killing you guys for this EXACT reason. 2 years later to introduce trending technology is unacceptable. You guys are pushing dual core technology in a quad core world bro.
Has the OLED lights been used in other brands? It seems to me that Mercedes and Audi are stilling using "boring" LEDs while BMW has offered laser lights for the i8 and upcoming 7 series. Who's ahead of the curve?
      11-26-2014, 08:03 AM   #190
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

I heard that the Bowers & Wilkins System will now be offered on the G11 as an upgrade option instead of the Bang & Olufsen. Scott26, any insight as to why BMW switched vendors? Was it just a contract thing? I just hope they don't jack up the price on the future Bowers & Wilkins systems.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 08:13 AM   #191
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
There is no cost-cutting here , in early prototypes fit and finish do not matter especially when the focus is on chassis or drivetrain development.
They may use the actual design but they are rapid produced parts which means quality is not an issue but to see if everything fits together and works. Later development models will indicate production specifications.

All Prototypes are hand built on a dedicated off-site production line in Munich.
Personally despite its quality the S-Klasse interior is too cluttered and looks like a 1980s home cinema the way the screens are stacked together.

The new BMW interior philosophy as introduced on the X5 and BMWi cars is to apply surfaces to accommodate next generation connected drive passenger display and extra minimalism to give the impression of a modern lounge. But keep that driver focused essence of a BMW. It also reduces many functions so that the driver can concentrate on the road.
It also allows extra space and more light into the cabin.

You have not seen the full picture yet.
What most people don't realize is the difference in philosphies between the Mercedes S-Class and the BMW 7-Series. The S-Class is a car that you want to get driven around in. It oozes luxury, especially focused in the back seat. The 7-Series is the big luxury sedan that you want to drive yourself. The focus is in the drivers seat. With the greatly lightened chassis in the next 7-Series, it'll be much more a drivers focused car than the S-Class can ever be. BMW's in general have always been about the driving experience not the riding experience in the back seat.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 09:02 AM   #192
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///S65 View Post
Has the OLED lights been used in other brands? It seems to me that Mercedes and Audi are stilling using "boring" LEDs while BMW has offered laser lights for the i8 and upcoming 7 series. Who's ahead of the curve?
Well, other than M3/M4, 6er, 5er, X5/X6, none of them has laser but the "boring" LED, and the 2er doesn't even have that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I heard that the Bowers & Wilkins System will now be offered on the G11 as an upgrade option instead of the Bang & Olufsen. Scott26, any insight as to why BMW switched vendors? Was it just a contract thing? I just hope they don't jack up the price on the future Bowers & Wilkins systems.
B&W is what Jaguar and Maserati have. Not sure it is "better" than B&O.

Quote:
What most people don't realize is the difference in philosphies between the Mercedes S-Class and the BMW 7-Series. The S-Class is a car that you want to get driven around in. It oozes luxury, especially focused in the back seat. The 7-Series is the big luxury sedan that you want to drive yourself. The focus is in the drivers seat. With the greatly lightened chassis in the next 7-Series, it'll be much more a drivers focused car than the S-Class can ever be. BMW's in general have always been about the driving experience not the riding experience in the back seat.
And despite being a so called driver's car, BMW still refuses to build an M7, and prefers an X5 M. Go figure...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 09:22 AM   #193
YungDro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The long haul View Post
Scott,
No car manufacter has OLED lights. BMW was the first to use laser lights. Also benz is killing nothing all they are is just taxis vans and buses. BMW have always been a step ahead look at the X6.. even merc is making a copy cat version of it and viewing from spyshots and concepts it looks butt ugly.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 09:27 AM   #194
YungDro
Major
Rep

Quote:
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 09:29 AM   #195
YungDro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Well, other than M3/M4, 6er, 5er, X5/X6, none of them has laser but the "boring" LED, and the 2er doesn't even have that.

And despite being a so called driver's car, BMW still refuses to build an M7, and prefers an X5 M. Go figure...
No M7 cause of the Alpina B7.. but i still think it will come eventually. 760Li last gen was faster than the S63 AMG. the new 760 will probably be even faster..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 09:46 AM   #196
The long haul
Hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: Maserati Ghibli, E92m, FTR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///S65 View Post
The new Audi R8 has them....
Quote:
The BW system is awesome, my XJ has it and I find it superior to the B&O I tested in the potential M6 GC I pondered on.
Quote:
No car manufacter has OLED lights. BMW was the first to use laser lights. Also benz is killing nothing all they are is just taxis vans and buses. BMW have always been a step ahead look at the X6.. even merc is making a copy cat version of it and viewing from spyshots and concepts it looks butt ugly.
LMAO if you truly beleive that you have as little taste as you do an inkling of what makes a great car. The 7 series has sucked ass since the E38 period. MB has designed and executed a true luxury car with world class engines.
The 7 series isn't a luxury car anymore, it's a piss poor attempt at looking flashy.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 10:19 AM   #197
Manbnda
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 AW

Quote:

B&W is better than B&O, that's a fact every audiophile and sound engineer know. So that is a good thing
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #198
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:

In regards to that interview with BMW North America product planning on an M7 that has recently been posted. As you have read previously how M are in favour of such a car. But the G11 is not on sale until late next year and then we have to establish the car in order to judge reaction whether there is potential for such a car. Many at M think the M7 should come because of the advances regarding lightweight technology within the car as it is fitting to be expanded on at M.
Sales response will determine that.

BMW did not prefer the X5M and X6 M over an M7.
The customer demanded them and the segment demands them .