BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

09-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
erichighley
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1, i3 BEV

Garage List
Cross-shopping 550xi and 750xi

(copy and paste from 5post)

I am currently looking to get out of my 2010 335 in favor of something bigger. My local import dealer that I always buy from has two separate BMWs that really caught my eye: a 2011 550xi (black on black) with 25,000mi and a 2011 750xi (black on oyster) with 28,000mi, both are priced identically at $47,000. I have been searching around for a good comparison between the two, and will drive them back-to-back tomorrow.

I intend to cross-post this on the 5 forum as well (as I am sure each will be in favor of their respective autos), but what is the general consensus on 550 vs 750? The 750 is obviously larger, but I don't NEED the extra space (girlfriend and dog fit just fine in the e92). Notwithstanding, the presence of the 750 is delightfully imposing.

Any anecdotes from cross-shopping 550s and 750s?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Wow; wonder why they're identically priced!?

Is the 5 CPO, while the 7 is not?

Does the 5 look brand-new, while the 7 does not?

Go with the 5 if both of the above are true.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: The M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichighley View Post
(copy and paste from 5post)

I am currently looking to get out of my 2010 335 in favor of something bigger. My local import dealer that I always buy from has two separate BMWs that really caught my eye: a 2011 550xi (black on black) with 25,000mi and a 2011 750xi (black on oyster) with 28,000mi, both are priced identically at $47,000. I have been searching around for a good comparison between the two, and will drive them back-to-back tomorrow.

I intend to cross-post this on the 5 forum as well (as I am sure each will be in favor of their respective autos), but what is the general consensus on 550 vs 750? The 750 is obviously larger, but I don't NEED the extra space (girlfriend and dog fit just fine in the e92). Notwithstanding, the presence of the 750 is delightfully imposing.

Any anecdotes from cross-shopping 550s and 750s?
From your quote, you said:

"I am currently looking to get out of my 2010 335 in favor of something bigger."

Then you said:
"The 750 is obviously larger, but I don't NEED the extra space (girlfriend and dog fit just fine in the e92)."

So my question is, did you want something bigger or not?
If you want bigger, then go with 7.
Both are great cars - but I would go with the best warrantied unit.
NOTE: Black / Oyster is stunning!

2016 BMW X5 ///M
2016 BMW M4 ///M Convertible

aLatteHotte - www.aLatteHotte.com - The Future of Coffee
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
erichighley
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Wow; wonder why they're identically priced!?

Is the 5 CPO, while the 7 is not?

Does the 5 look brand-new, while the 7 does not?

Go with the 5 if both of the above are true.
Neither are CPO, which isn't a major deal as my average time in a car is around 14 months (bought the 335 back in December of last year...I get bored easily). I believe the 7 has been in a couple accidents. One with minor damage to the rear, and one to the front right. I believe that is the reason for the pricing. While I havent driven them, if it feels solid I wouldn't turn it down just because of that. Like I said, I always buy cars from this same guy so whenever I go to upgrade I always get a fair trade on my old one and no sales tax. Thanks for your advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxcode View Post
From your quote, you said:

"I am currently looking to get out of my 2010 335 in favor of something bigger."

Then you said:
"The 750 is obviously larger, but I don't NEED the extra space (girlfriend and dog fit just fine in the e92)."

So my question is, did you want something bigger or not?
If you want bigger, then go with 7.
Both are great cars - but I would go with the best warrantied unit.
NOTE: Black / Oyster is stunning!
I'm still relatively young (20's), but the e92 is troublesome on the few occasions when I want more that two people in the car. Thus me not NEEDING the extra space, I don't have a family or baby to cart around. I do want something bigger, the question is how big. I think I will need to drive them both to really answer that. As for the warranty, won't likely come into play as I am in and out of cars usually within a year. My e92 has only managed to hold my interest for 10 months.

And yes, the combo on the 7 is the biggest problem, if you can call it that. I have always wanted an oyster interior, probably one of the biggest selling points over the black/black 550. I prefer more unique colors in my cars (currently in a LeMans/Saddle e92).

Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

Last edited by erichighley; 09-30-2013 at 06:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: The M's

Oooooooooh Le Mans and Saddle! That's hot.

My advice is to make the natural progression to a 5 - especially if you are in your 20's -- just find one with more unique color combo. There are SO many CPO 5's out there. I just sold my 5 for my 3rd 7, I got $48k for it with 11k miles on it. It was white with Oyster. Pretty car.

The 7 might be to big too fast... It's a huge difference between the e92 and the 5 series. Night and Day difference between an e92 and a 7 series. Think of the 7 as a comfort cruiser, it's not particularly speedy or sporty, just a fine ride. If you want some sport and sport looks, 5 is your car, I would just pick the right color options. You're not stuck buying only one car at that price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichighley View Post
Neither are CPO, which isn't a major deal as my average time in a car is around 14 months (bought the 335 back in December of last year...I get bored easily). I believe the 7 has been in a couple accidents. One with minor damage to the rear, and one to the front right. I believe that is the reason for the pricing. While I havent driven them, if it feels solid I wouldn't turn it down just because of that. Like I said, I always buy cars from this same guy so whenever I go to upgrade I always get a fair trade on my old one and no sales tax. Thanks for your advice!

I'm still relatively young (20's), but the e92 is troublesome on the few occasions when I want more that two people in the car. Thus me not NEEDING the extra space, I don't have a family or baby to cart around. I do want something bigger, the question is how big. I think I will need to drive them both to really answer that. As for the warranty, won't likely come into play as I am in and out of cars usually within a year. My e92 has only managed to hold my interest for 10 months.

And yes, the combo on the 7 is the biggest problem, if you can call it that. I have always wanted an oyster interior, probably one of the biggest selling points over the black/black 550. I prefer more unique colors in my cars (currently in a LeMans/Saddle e92).

Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

2016 BMW X5 ///M
2016 BMW M4 ///M Convertible

aLatteHotte - www.aLatteHotte.com - The Future of Coffee
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
erichighley
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by osxcode View Post
Oooooooooh Le Mans and Saddle! That's hot.

My advice is to make the natural progression to a 5 - especially if you are in your 20's -- just find one with more unique color combo. There are SO many CPO 5's out there. I just sold my 5 for my 3rd 7, I got $48k for it with 11k miles on it. It was white with Oyster. Pretty car.

The 7 might be to big too fast... It's a huge difference between the e92 and the 5 series. Night and Day difference between an e92 and a 7 series. Think of the 7 as a comfort cruiser, it's not particularly speedy or sporty, just a fine ride. If you want some sport and sport looks, 5 is your car, I would just pick the right color options. You're not stuck buying only one car at that price range.
Very, very sound advice. Logical too. The 7 is very enticing in my head (especially for the price), but I would likely be happier in the 5 and would have a better time making the natural progression through BMWs line up. Will know more this afternoon after a test drive or two.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0