BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

02-15-2018, 08:07 PM   #1
vivalaReagan
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

New Guy Checking In

Picked up a 750i xDrive a few months ago, and thought I'd introduce myself. Longtime BMW owner who left the fold a few years ago but the current 750 brought me back.

I was about to pull the trigger on an S560 but decided to drive a 750, since this was a $100k+ decision and I wanted to make it fully informed. After driving the two cars back-to-back, I was surprisingly sold on the BMW. The driving dynamics, the technology, and the more youthful lines and materials were decisive factors in favor of the BMW. The refreshed Mercedes was impressive but a bit staid for my taste.

The 750 is pretty loaded and includes the following:

750i xDrive
Glacier Silver Metallic
Black Nappa
Autobahn Package
Driver Assistance Plus
Driver Assistance Plus II
Executive Package
Luxury Rear Seating Package
Rear Executive Lounge Seating
Ambient Air Package
Panoramic Sky Lounge LED Roof
Remote Control Parking
Apple Car Play
Bowers & Wilkins Sound System

When I purchased the 750, I really didn't like the wheels and negotiated an upgrade to a set of 21" that really change the look of the car. I also added 35% tint all around, which I think really compliments the Glacier Silver. Let me know what you think about the updated look.

Really enjoying this car, as it's my new daily driver and I'm in it at least a couple of hours per day. Glad I selected it over the Merc and returned to the BMW fold.

Gratuitous pics below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 01:44 AM   #2
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Congrats,
A pleasure to see black upholstery with Glacier Silver Color
Happy Driving
      02-16-2018, 05:11 AM   #3
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Lovely car, configuration and colour vivalaReagan

Personally while I love the power of a black exterior for looks, I'm also a fan of lighter colour exteriors, they don't look as dirty as quickly, they don't heat up as quickly in warmer temperatures and some colours look just as elegant (your silver being one).

The black interior goes very well with that colour and I'd have chosen the same in your place. Agree completely with your assessment of the S v 7 comparison. I also tried out the S class and although the deals were far better financially here in the UK to go Merc, it felt 'dead' when driving it and indeed did have an 'older' person feel to it to me. While loaded S's can match the 7, base level ones are no match in my view (or when you put some options on it, comparing prices across.)

A weekend away trying both left me completely convinced the 7 was the better car to own and drive. I still love the way the S looks on the outside (not all models but some newer ones) but the drive killed it for me.

Those wheels look great, thinking of getting a larger set of rims for Summer use and been debating between 20 and 22" until now but maybe a good compromise would be 21" like you have here. Do you have the MSport version (not sure whether you get the same packages there as here in the UK)? Not sure what the Autobahn package is...

Anyway, my question is how do you find the 21" wheels? Do you normally drive in Sport mode or Comfort and do you find it 'harsh' with that combo (mode and larger wheels?) Some love the harsh or firm feeling, I'm more of a comfort fan so tending towards 20" to help slightly while getting nicer, larger rims still...

The 18"s I'm currently on are brilliant for ride quality and one barely notices any bumps in the car which is brilliant but the looks suffer...

Welcome back to BMW and to this forum, great to have you join us, do post more of your car and experiences!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 06:15 AM   #4
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Very nice car and interesting that you liked it over the Mercedes.

The offers on the standard model S class are quite good in the UK but the AMG models you'd need to match the M760Li aren't good at all. So I didn't bother trying out a Mercedes and in fairness I've had issues with their build quality in the past plus how they treat their customers. So wasn't a car I was interested in.

I get in some reviews people say it's more comfortable, a higher level of luxury, etc however I'm coming from an M5. I already find that plenty comfortable enough with the 7 being a big jump up still. I don't feel like I need any more comfort and the reviews suggest the S class doesn't handle as well which would ruin it for me.

Strangely despite the size I think the M760Li handles really well. No doubt right on the edge / at a track the M5 would destroy it but on public roads it handles pretty close in sport mode. The active anti roll bars do a hell of a job keeping the car from leaning too much without impacting the ride comfort.

I imagine half of BMW's problem in shifting the 7 series is most of the reviews put the Merc just a bit ahead on the assumption your not driving the car. I suspect also quite a few people get the Merc without even trying a 7.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 06:29 AM   #5
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
I imagine half of BMW's problem in shifting the 7 series is most of the reviews put the Merc just a bit ahead on the assumption your not driving the car. I suspect also quite a few people get the Merc without even trying a 7.
Something I very nearly did. I was all set on an S class due to the levels of comfort, it was my wife who suggested at least trying a 7, and then I totally swung the other way. Yes, the S is certainly more comfortable in terms of outright plushness and softness, but it doesn't have the something that the 7 does. But I can see how you would sit in an S and just buy it without trying anything else, which is a mistake now knowing what the 7 is like.

The interior of the S is cool, futuristic, but actually don't like the very straight lines of the dash, and the infotainment system is no where near as good as iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 10:31 AM   #6
vivalaReagan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Those wheels look great, thinking of getting a larger set of rims for Summer use and been debating between 20 and 22" until now but maybe a good compromise would be 21" like you have here. Do you have the MSport version (not sure whether you get the same packages there as here in the UK)? Not sure what the Autobahn package is...

Anyway, my question is how do you find the 21" wheels? Do you normally drive in Sport mode or Comfort and do you find it 'harsh' with that combo (mode and larger wheels?) Some love the harsh or firm feeling, I'm more of a comfort fan so tending towards 20" to help slightly while getting nicer, larger rims still...
The 21" wheels offer a harsher ride than the stock 19's, but I don't find it to be a poor trade-off. The lower profile tires are the primary culprit, and I definitely "feel" potholes and expansion joints more often, even in comfort mode.

I don't have the M-Sport package (a good look with some nice features but it wasn't my preference), but I did get the Autobahn Package. Per your question, I think this package offers four-wheel active steering, larger brakes, and electrically actuated active anti-roll bars. Don't quote me on this, but I've heard it also includes Adaptive Drive, which uses a camera to sense upcoming road imperfections and directs the suspension to react accordingly. It is similar to the technology employed in Mercedes' Magic Body Control. My car has the Adaptive Drive feature but I'm unsure if it was part of the Autobahn Package.

Hope that helps and thanks for the reply!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #7
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalaReagan View Post
The 21" wheels offer a harsher ride than the stock 19's, but I don't find it to be a poor trade-off. The lower profile tires are the primary culprit, and I definitely "feel" potholes and expansion joints more often, even in comfort mode.

I don't have the M-Sport package (a good look with some nice features but it wasn't my preference), but I did get the Autobahn Package. Per your question, I think this package offers four-wheel active steering, larger brakes, and electrically actuated active anti-roll bars. Don't quote me on this, but I've heard it also includes Adaptive Drive, which uses a camera to sense upcoming road imperfections and directs the suspension to react accordingly. It is similar to the technology employed in Mercedes' Magic Body Control. My car has the Adaptive Drive feature but I'm unsure if it was part of the Autobahn Package.

Thanks, good to know about the wheels, I will have to think about whether to go for 20s or 21s then, 21 look better to be sure but do like my comfort (consider me the princess that notices the pea under the 7 series!)...I also didn't choose the MSport pkg. so a better comparison for me as well.

The camera based suspension adjustment is called executive drive pro over here (I don't have that personally, don't actually use adaptive much to be honest, I tend to use comfort for most urban driving and as soon as I am cruising I put it in comfort plus, unless I'm driving fast then sport to have the suspension lower and better wind handling at speed.

The other features sound great, don't believe I have those but i'd like them to be sure! FastLaneJB is about to get his 7 and has ordered the active steering so may have some questions for you on that.

A lovely ride you have, love the combo of the colours, wheels and wood trim. A proper understated 'sleeper' car!

Thanks for the quick replies, great to have you in the 7 neighbourhood, look forward to hearing more from you and your experiences with the 7 as time goes on. ^

Safe travels.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 11:29 AM   #8
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, good to know about the wheels, I will have to think about whether to go for 20s or 21s then, 21 look better to be sure but do like my comfort (consider me the princess that notices the pea under the 7 series!)...I also didn't choose the MSport pkg. so a better comparison for me as well.

The camera based suspension adjustment is called executive drive pro over here (I don't have that personally, don't actually use adaptive much to be honest, I tend to use comfort for most urban driving and as soon as I am cruising I put it in comfort plus, unless I'm driving fast then sport to have the suspension lower and better wind handling at speed.

The other features sound great, don't believe I have those but i'd like them to be sure! FastLaneJB is about to get his 7 and has ordered the active steering so may have some questions for you on that.
I cannot comment on 20's vs 18's that you have now as I think both of the 7's I've driven have 20's. The 760 has 19inch brakes so needs 20's to fit them in.

From my point of view it is extremely comfortable, a big jump over the 5 series. Certainly at a level I'm more than happy with but don't know if that's much of a drop from your 18's GP

I think the Executive Drive Pro is what gives you the active anti-roll bars. So that helps to keep the comfort up while cutting the body roll. I'm not sure to be honest what Adaptive does when you don't have that as I assume you've still got that button? I imagine it might still use the camera + map data to make adjustments to the stiffness of the suspension but is just unable to control the body roll as much.

Both cars I've driven also had that so impossible to really be able to judge that either. You've a couple of reasons to try a 760 because then you can judge a car on 20's plus see what you think of the Executive Drive Pro. You'd best see what that's like by putting the car into sport and taking a corner reasonably quick where you'd expect quite a bit of roll in your car. See how it compares.

Not sure I've any questions at the mo but might think of some
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 11:44 AM   #9
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I cannot comment on 20's vs 18's that you have now as I think both of the 7's I've driven have 20's. The 760 has 19inch brakes so needs 20's to fit them in.

From my point of view it is extremely comfortable, a big jump over the 5 series. Certainly at a level I'm more than happy with but don't know if that's much of a drop from your 18's GP

I think the Executive Drive Pro is what gives you the active anti-roll bars. So that helps to keep the comfort up while cutting the body roll. I'm not sure to be honest what Adaptive does when you don't have that as I assume you've still got that button? I imagine it might still use the camera + map data to make adjustments to the stiffness of the suspension but is just unable to control the body roll as much.

Both cars I've driven also had that so impossible to really be able to judge that either. You've a couple of reasons to try a 760 because then you can judge a car on 20's plus see what you think of the Executive Drive Pro. You'd best see what that's like by putting the car into sport and taking a corner reasonably quick where you'd expect quite a bit of roll in your car. See how it compares.

Not sure I've any questions at the mo but might think of some
I really should get the mods to change my handle to Gansta Princess...

Thanks, likely the 20s will be the way to go, I might even be able to get the same tires all round instead of having to go different front and backs but would need to check that whereas bigger definitely means offset sizes.

Adaptive does apparently change the suspension depending on your driving habits and the road (from the sat nav) and maybe I haven't given it a fair chance to 'learn my behaviour' as it apparently is supposed to do but I just find it stays in comfort (equivalent) as it is not apparent that any changes are going to happen...I tend to be GP cruise mode (comfort plus, tunes on and 'aint nothing going to bother me' relaxed) or out of my way you tw@t (sport, spitting blood and side bolsters set to kill)

So, Gansta Princess does actually work well as a handle! two contrasting sides!

decisions decisions! What is a GP to do...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 12:01 PM   #10
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I really should get the mods to change my handle to Gansta Princess...
You get my vote on that one

Quote:
Thanks, likely the 20s will be the way to go, I might even be able to get the same tires all round instead of having to go different front and backs but would need to check that whereas bigger definitely means offset sizes.
760 is different sizes front and back but I imagine you don't have to have that. Your a bit less likely to be breaking traction

Quote:
Adaptive does apparently change the suspension depending on your driving habits and the road (from the sat nav) and maybe I haven't given it a fair chance to 'learn my behaviour' as it apparently is supposed to do but I just find it stays in comfort (equivalent) as it is not apparent that any changes are going to happen...I tend to be GP cruise mode (comfort plus, tunes on and 'aint nothing going to bother me' relaxed) or out of my way you tw@t (sport, spitting blood and side bolsters set to kill)
Love it. Side bolsters set to kill.

I didn't really play with Adaptive at all when I was testing the car. However as I need to run it in I think it'll be a good time to do quite a few miles in Adaptive and see how it goes.

Quote:
decisions decisions! What is a GP to do...
Rims plus tyres aren't cheap. You've got to try it out first

How long are you planning to keep your 7 series? Just saying you've had it a couple of years so if your planning to change it say in a year or so it probably isn't worth it. Stick it out and get a new car with the wheel size you want instead?

Where they doing strong offers when you get your car? I know when it first came out it was around 2.9% APR with not much support. You might find say if you was on a 3 year PCP and 2 years in you could change the car. With the stronger deals now it would more than likely offset any negative equity you might have from trading in a tad early. Just a thought.

I'd discuss it with the dealer after you've had your 760 test drive
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 12:15 PM   #11
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Rims plus tyres aren't cheap. You've got to try it out first

How long are you planning to keep your 7 series? Just saying you've had it a couple of years so if your planning to change it say in a year or so it probably isn't worth it. Stick it out and get a new car with the wheel size you want instead?

Where they doing strong offers when you get your car? I know when it first came out it was around 2.9% APR with not much support. You might find say if you was on a 3 year PCP and 2 years in you could change the car. With the stronger deals now it would more than likely offset any negative equity you might have from trading in a tad early. Just a thought.

I'd discuss it with the dealer after you've had your 760 test drive
Sounds good to me!

No time like the present and I am a firm believer in Carpe Diem.

Only company car rule I have to follow is the car has to be changed at latest at 5 years old or 100k miles. (needs to be a four door and not a soft top convertible as well but not an issue in that regard).

Can change earlier if I wanted to, likely keep the car until it is 5 years old and then see so another 2-3 years still. I do want to go back to having separate sets of winter and summer tires though so rims to go with them and here in the UK the 18" alloys are fine as no snow chains needed...so another nicer summer set could be very useful. Expect it will be about 2.5k to 3.5k for the set of 4 depending on rim choice and size, which won't be a problem for the budget but do want to get the right ones. Love the Alpina straight spoke look or something similar with my GP colour combo...(in silver).

The OP's rims are nice too as some details to notice and some black at the hub with a lovely straight spoke look as well...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 02:43 PM   #12
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Interesting about the company car rules. I once had a company car and then they decided they didn't want to offer them so switched to an allowance. They'd not fully thought it through though as I had a fuel card back then which they were letting people keep. They also had no limitations on what car you could get at all.

Lots of people were pretty sensible of course. When my boss asked what I was going to get I said I was deciding between a small electric car or a Hummer. One would have meant getting anywhere would have taken days, the other would have cost a fortune to fill up. I was of course joking, in the end went with a 330d

Most jobs I think in my field don't have a car allowance now but some do. I don't think they'd work out well as you normally get some fixed yearly fee but then a poor mileage rate. I think around 20p a mile probably is as high as it goes for a petrol. I won't be doing a mile in 20p in a 760, I cannot do it in that in an M5. However 45p a mile I get now is perfect, probably be 43p a mile and 2p to add to the tyre fund. Hehe
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 07:06 AM   #13
cracker123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AstonMartin Virage, M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalaReagan View Post

Great car, options and wheels.

The autobahn package is the same as a the Executive Drive Pro package. You also get the active roll bars which help the car in the corners. The camera based suspension system is activated if you use the Adaptive Drive setting. In the cars without Autobhan the Adaptive drive will still function but not at the same level as the one with the autobahn package which has the camera based road surface detection. Let us know what you feel are the differences with the adaptive setting.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 08:50 PM   #14
vivalaReagan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracker123 View Post
Great car, options and wheels.

The autobahn package is the same as a the Executive Drive Pro package. You also get the active roll bars which help the car in the corners. The camera based suspension system is activated if you use the Adaptive Drive setting. In the cars without Autobhan the Adaptive drive will still function but not at the same level as the one with the autobahn package which has the camera based road surface detection. Let us know what you feel are the differences with the adaptive setting.
Thanks, Cracker!

In addition to input from the cameras, Adaptive Drive also takes navigation data into consideration, if nav is active. I have definitely 'felt' this in action in certain driving scenarios. For example, during my normal commute, a long bridge straightaway is followed by a long sweeping left bender. While tooling along at 80-ish MPH, the car seems to be in comfort mode, damping the expansion joints of the bridge. When the bridge ends and I don't slow down for the bender, I can sense the suspension 'hunkering down' and the steering 'tightening' for the curve. After the curve, the car seems to revert back to comfort mode. Very slick technology.

Regarding the camera inputs, I can't definitively state I have noticed this feature in operation. Not sure if an example would be the camera 'seeing' a pothole ahead and adjusting the suspension to absorb the impact. I will pay closer attention and try to detect this feature in action. I'll report back if I discover anything interesting.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 05:34 AM   #15
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah I look forward to giving Adaptive a good try while I'm running in. Then see how I like it overall.

I suspect I'll mostly use that mode for day to day driving and switch to Sport when I know I want the best handling + the louder exhaust so people know I'm coming
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2018, 12:26 AM   #16
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah I look forward to giving Adaptive a good try while I'm running in. Then see how I like it overall.

I suspect I'll mostly use that mode for day to day driving and switch to Sport when I know I want the best handling + the louder exhaust so people know I'm coming
Ooh, starting to turn into a princess are we?

Watch out...you'll get used to comfort plus mode faster than you know

Safe travels!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 10:32 AM   #17
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Beautiful car, congrats. And great looking wheels
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 01:38 PM   #18
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ooh, starting to turn into a princess are we?

Watch out...you'll get used to comfort plus mode faster than you know

Safe travels!
You never know.

I changed the sofa in the living room recently and that's much more padded and comfortable than before. Think moving from a 5 series in Sport mode to a 7 in Comfort type of change.

I think it's the old person in me starting to arrive. Before you know it I'll be telling anyone that dares to speak to me about the good ole days
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 02:35 PM   #19
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You never know.

I changed the sofa in the living room recently and that's much more padded and comfortable than before. Think moving from a 5 series in Sport mode to a 7 in Comfort type of change.

I think it's the old person in me starting to arrive. Before you know it I'll be telling anyone that dares to speak to me about the good ole days
Heh, nah, I just hope the seats have charcoal filters fitted for the times when you do really give it the beans (see what I did there? ) and need something to cover up the smell!

Will be curious to hear if you do end up 'cruising' in comfort or whether you end up driving it 'sporty' and if that fits (if that makes sense, given you are in a very comfortable sofa seating and driving a missile!)

I'll stop taking the p@ss, a stunning car and I just hope you will still talk to us 'normal' folk!

Safe travels.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 04:32 PM   #20
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Heh, nah, I just hope the seats have charcoal filters fitted for the times when you do really give it the beans (see what I did there? ) and need something to cover up the smell!

Will be curious to hear if you do end up 'cruising' in comfort or whether you end up driving it 'sporty' and if that fits (if that makes sense, given you are in a very comfortable sofa seating and driving a missile!)

I'll stop taking the p@ss, a stunning car and I just hope you will still talk to us 'normal' folk!

Safe travels.
I can assure you I'll be in Comfort or Adaptive most of the time. Depending on how I get on with those modes. Sport makes the car quite a bit more loud and only will probably switch to that when I'm in the mood, on a nice twisty road for some fun or have someone I feel I need to embarrass nearby

Take the piss all you want, I'm British so it's expected. It's what it's all aboot

I'm just a normal bloke. Though it's getting harder to tell my boss that I need a payrise each year because I only have 1 super saloon. I might need a new angle
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #21
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
I can assure you I'll be in Comfort or Adaptive most of the time. Depending on how I get on with those modes. Sport makes the car quite a bit more loud and only will probably switch to that when I'm in the mood, on a nice twisty road for some fun or have someone I feel I need to embarrass nearby

Take the piss all you want, I'm British so it's expected. It's what it's all aboot

I'm just a normal bloke. Though it's getting harder to tell my boss that I need a payrise each year because I only have 1 super saloon. I might need a new angle
Quick question about Adaptive - is it a separate "mode" like sport or comfort or is it a setting that gets applied to whatever mode you're already in, i.e. adaptive comfort or adaptive sport etc?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 04:41 PM   #22
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
Quick question about Adaptive - is it a separate "mode" like sport or comfort or is it a setting that gets applied to whatever mode you're already in, i.e. adaptive comfort or adaptive sport etc?
It's a separate button. So car I think always defaults to Comfort so you'd need to switch to it.

See the Adaptive along the side of Sport / Comfort and Eco Pro. It's also a button.

I pushed it once or twice when I had a loaner but didn't use it long enough to notice a difference over comfort. I have a feeling you'd need to have the car for a while in comfort so you get to know what it's like. Then switch to Adaptive so you can get an idea how that might be different. For instance I think it'll mirror comfort but you might notice it if you hit a pot hole or if you start to drive a bit sporty. Or it picking a better gear for a steep hill you might be coming to, etc.

Just got to give it a whirl
Appreciate 0