BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

02-17-2018, 03:30 PM   #177
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Good to see some anticipation building and the twice daily updates going on...

As another teaser to egg you on a bit...

Love the small details, like the carbon core badges between doors on the B pillar:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 03:31 PM   #178
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Good to see some anticipation building and the twice daily updates going on...

As another teaser to egg you on a bit...

Love the small details, like the carbon core badges between doors on the B pillar:
Hah I think that’s the bit I hate the most about the car! Looks a little tacky to me considering how much carbon is actually in the car!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 03:36 PM   #179
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Heh, fair enough! To be fair there is a bit of carbon fibre in the car, not the whole passenger cell like marketing would have us believe but if you watch the production video of the 7 series on youtube...it does show a bit of it being applied in the floor areas of the passenger cell and on the roof so at least not just a single strip.

One doesn't see the badges unless you open the door anyway...Wonder if FLJB is going to get those debadged as well?

I'll have to think of something else then to whet your appetite! (a few weeks left to go to do so at least! )

Have a great weekend, do let us know of any updates!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #180
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
This video if you haven't seen it yet...particularly timely for you two...oh, wait...maybe just for you 325_bucks

7 series production line
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 04:46 AM   #181
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

I think there's a reasonable amount of carbon fibre in the roof section which helps lower the centre of gravity. Not that I guess you notice fine honed handling driving around in Comfort Plus mode.

Yeah it's not all carbon as too expensive. However enough that they lowered the weight by something like 200 - 300kg from the last 7 series. So still a very good effort. They don't use the carbon fibre at all on the new 5 series as it's too expensive plus hard to manufacture on those volumes. So that's one of the pluses the 7 gets over the 5.

Nah I'll leave those badges. I don't mind the internal or hidden ones. It's just the ones that gives the game away when moving. Hopefully people will just mistake me for a EB2 colour 320d M Sport you see lots of. At least when I'm not in Sports mode and it's growling like an apex predator
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 05:40 AM   #182
tyzer
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 730d M-Sport Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
Ive been checking once a day, doesn't take 2 mins to hat to get an update. Since it moved to assembly I've been checking twice a day as I know how quickly it moves
I think it would be great if BMW genius kept a score (like facebook likes) on how often an owner made an enquiry about production and shipping etc. They could call it the anticipation level!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 06:02 AM   #183
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
I think there's a reasonable amount of carbon fibre in the roof section which helps lower the centre of gravity. Not that I guess you notice fine honed handling driving around in Comfort Plus mode.
Heh,

I do think it feels and handles far better and lighter than the previous F01 I had to be honest, not that this Gansta Princess does throw it around much, as it would be unseemly and ruin my hard won public image.

Good points about the carbon in the new 5, hadn't thought of those but makes sense. Agree that yours will be such a lovely 'sleeper' car, until you peg it and they hear and don't believe what they see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyzer View Post
I think it would be great if BMW genius kept a score (like facebook likes) on how often an owner made an enquiry about production and shipping etc. They could call it the anticipation level!
Love it!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 04:59 PM   #184
LZR
Meat Popsicle
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M760i 2016 X5M

Garage List
2018 M760i  [9.00]
2016 X5M  [10.00]
Quote:
Won't debadging it at the dealer affect your paint though? Not sure what adhesive they use to put them on but surely it would be on firmly enough to affect the underlying coat so when the remove it it may be a spot that is more vulnerable? Just wondering, absolutely no idea how the badges and such are fixed to the cars...luckily mine was debadged when I bought it so all good.
I have been having the same thought on how well they adhere as I was contemplating giving it a run. Have done it on other cheaper cars with a heat gun but even seeing if the dealer would do it for me if there would be any left impressions or a spot visible when it is wet.

Quote:
I'd have to get rid of the V12's on the side as I just don't like those. I'm not a fan of the little M's on the front wings either you get on an M Sport. It was the rear of the car that was playing with me. On the M760Li the badged are in Cerium Grey which looks that little bit cooler.
Cound not agree more definintly want to get rid of the V12 bades as they are so portly placed and a bit tacky. Don't mind the M bades or the M760i if it meant even the slighest risk to the paint but would not mind debadging it completly as well.

Quote:
As beautiful as the M760Li badge is, I'd remove it personally, as you say, you know what it is and that is all that counts. You'll get a lot less hassle if you do (both for stealing or for boy racer moments). Besides, the keen eyed will definitely note the exhaust pipes are different and only available on the 760...
I have always loved the sleeper. And the surprise it generates when it wakes up out of nowhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 08:26 PM   #185
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZR View Post
I have been having the same thought on how well they adhere as I was contemplating giving it a run. Have done it on other cheaper cars with a heat gun but even seeing if the dealer would do it for me if there would be any left impressions or a spot visible when it is wet.
Well the dealer's agreed to do it for me and said they can do it without issues. Also that they do it all the time so I imagine they are pretty good at it. Fingers crossed as I cannot really change the order without losing my spot as it's an individual order.

Quote:
Cound not agree more definintly want to get rid of the V12 bades as they are so portly placed and a bit tacky. Don't mind the M bades or the M760i if it meant even the slighest risk to the paint but would not mind debadging it completly as well.

I have always loved the sleeper. And the surprise it generates when it wakes up out of nowhere.
Yeah got to love a nice sleeper. Despite our crap roads and tons of traffic there's still a lot of reasonably quick cars out and about. I love it when they get in the wrong lane thinking they are going to cut you up, that's the best time to give them a shock
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 03:44 AM   #186
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
and

Quote:
Well the dealer's agreed to do it for me and said they can do it without issues. Also that they do it all the time so I imagine they are pretty good at it. Fingers crossed as I cannot really change the order without losing my spot as it's an individual order.
I'm sure the dealers can do it without issue and have plenty of experience, so no issues there, not sure I'd do it myself just in case and if the dealer did it and any issues did arise then you'd be better placed to get it sorted.

Long live the monster sleepers...Mine is also a sleeper (debadged) but is harmless!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 03:46 AM   #187
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Mine will be too but is also harmless, although it’s not exactly slow compared to a lot of cars on the uk roads. It’s nothing compared to a 760 of course but it should do for our uk roads. I will miss the 640 but I may get the 730 tuned a little
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 05:14 AM   #188
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Mine will be too but is also harmless, although it’s not exactly slow compared to a lot of cars on the uk roads. It’s nothing compared to a 760 of course but it should do for our uk roads. I will miss the 640 but I may get the 730 tuned a little
Very true but with many hot hatches having 300 bhp or more we’re middle of the field these days but can surprise many still when they don’t expect the large boat next to them to launch quite so quickly!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 05:20 AM   #189
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Order status update this morning: 8200 - Released to Carrier!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 12:27 AM   #190
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Order status update this morning: 8200 - Released to Carrier!!!
Brilliant news 325_bucks! ^

I can just see you driving by the dealer each day now to check if the car has arrived around back...

Won't be long now...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 09:16 AM   #191
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Order update: 9000 - Departed Plant
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 09:33 AM   #192
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
oooh, getting very close now then!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #193
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

still early second week march they reckon
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 01:32 PM   #194
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Shame they don't allow you to drive over and pick the car up. I can imagine you'd have been tempted

Though in fairness I'm guessing this close to March you want an 18 plate car so 2nd week of March is still pretty good.

I'll have to find out what code mine is, I haven't been asking the code.

The last guy I spoke to I had like an hour or so conversation with him. He was telling me all sorts of stuff and about the BMW he'd like to get himself. Nice chap
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 01:34 PM   #195
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Shame they don't allow you to drive over and pick the car up. I can imagine you'd have been tempted

Though in fairness I'm guessing this close to March you want an 18 plate car so 2nd week of March is still pretty good.

I'll have to find out what code mine is, I haven't been asking the code.

The last guy I spoke to I had like an hour or so conversation with him. He was telling me all sorts of stuff and about the BMW he'd like to get himself. Nice chap
I find that they all put up this fake “oh my god you’re car is going to be so amazing it’s the best thing in the whole wide world you must be so excited” which is fine the first time but it’s like that every single time!

They won’t give you the codes anymore, but the status they give you will match exactly to the list of status codes out there on the internet so easy to work out.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 01:43 PM   #196
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I find that they all put up this fake “oh my god you’re car is going to be so amazing it’s the best thing in the whole wide world you must be so excited” which is fine the first time but it’s like that every single time!

They won’t give you the codes anymore, but the status they give you will match exactly to the list of status codes out there on the internet so easy to work out.
I took a screenshot of the last one. He said...

"Congratulations on your brand new BMW M760Li xDrive V12! Great choice on Ash Grain Chestnut wood inlay!"

They seem to type so slow, I'd be happy for them to just say M760 or something but they always use the full name as well. It's like an extra minute I have to wait while they type it out. Hehe

Strangely he had to ask me what colour the car was going to be. So I guess like the dealers they just see Individual Paint. I hope somewhere in some system they know what colour its supposed to be! I don't want lucky dip.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 01:45 PM   #197
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Yeah that’s basically what I have, there are just preset congratulation responses it seems merged with the car you’ve ordered
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 02:00 PM   #198
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah that’s basically what I have, there are just preset congratulation responses it seems merged with the car you’ve ordered
I did think of all the configuration items on my car picking the Ash wood inlay as the item he was most excited about to be a bit weird.

Speaking of the inlay though it was the one part of the car I wasn't all that sure on. I felt some of the darker ones would just blend in too much with the dash. It looks OK in the pictures but I've not seen it in person, hopefully it's not too wood like. I'm not even quite 40 yet, I don't want a car that looks like it belongs to a 70 year old inside
Appreciate 0