BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

02-01-2018, 05:02 AM   #1
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Rear Comfort Seats?

Are electric adjustable rear seats standard on the G11 or is that what comes with rear comfort seats? What other differences to rear comfort seats offer over whatever the standard seats are? I have this option, but just want to confirm it gives me the electric adjustment. UK based by the way
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 03:55 PM   #2
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
My understanding, and someone correct me if I am wrong, is that indeed, in 2016 and in 2017 you could and can still buy a 730d without comfort rear seats (which means the seats are fixed in position and are not electric).

There is precious little to be found as to what 'comfort' seats means in the rear of the current G series 7. My take on it is that the seats are one solid fixed construction across the back and are not electric as 'standard'. Comfort means electric independent rear seat adjustment and that each seat can be separately moved up, down, forward, back and rear tilt as well as shoulder area moved forward with lumbar support. I have seen the comfort seats also called 'multi-contoured' seats which would also be correct as the upper seat area can be adjusted forwards or backwards in relation to the lower back area.

All G series (7's) have heated rear seats.

Ventilation and massage are options.

(all above is only for UK market and only for base models, the 740, 750 or 760 may have these as standard, however, for the 725 and 730 models comfort seats and therefore electric seat adjustment in the rear is an option that needs to be a part of a package or trim.)

If you order 'exclusive' or M Sport, you'll get comfort rear seats. Order a base 725d or 730d without those or without a package including rear comfort seats and you won't.

Again, there is precious little in terms of images showing the difference but I believe the images attached to this post do show the difference...and subtlety as well (for example it appears you can order the tablet control for the rear and still not have electric/comfort seats and that also appears to include the wood trim on the centre armrest as well)...

My own 730d with comfort rear seats (optionally ordered) is shown for comparison, I have neither exclusive nor M Sport trim.

You can see the seat stitching is different and that the seat belt is not 'guided' at the top with the sewn in loop in 'standard' seats (as it wouldn't be needed because the seats won't move). You can also note that the door does not have the electric seat memory buttons (always silver on the new 7, just below the door handle). You can also see that the seat side area where the armrest does go up into is one solid piece without any lines separating the seat from the middle (seat) area, and this is different in the comfort seats where the seat back line is visible in comparison. Finally, you can see that the standard headrests do not get the softer, removable additional cushion that the comfort seats get.

So, hope this helps, you'll have both comfort and electric seats as they are the same thing AFAIK. The comfort bit is likely that indeed they do offer more comfort over standard seats.

I should add for correctness that the images of the 'standard' seats are borrowed from the web google search and copyright of their respective owners.

I should also add that the standard spec sheet from BMW themselves conflicts itself as it does list electric rear seats as standard but does not list comfort seats unless you get 'exclusive' or 'M Sport' trim...but they are one and the same AFAIK and I think this is a typo (electric seats in rear is not standard).
Attached Images

Last edited by Pelo Cat; 02-01-2018 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: adding multi-contoured info and other smaller details.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 04:18 PM   #3
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Thanks very much. That’s extremely helpful and basically confirms what I thought. Main issue was whether comfort and electric are the same which it seems they are. Excellent write up.

Incidentally, is your drivers seat in your normal driving position as it makes the rear legroom look smaller than I expected? Maybe I should have gone LWB!?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 04:27 PM   #4
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks, glad to be of help. ^

My drivers seat is indeed as far back as it goes and up quite high so this does make the rear leg room suffer and look very narrow indeed. It is still quite good and I can sit comfortably behind my drivers seat position without touching but it is indeed tighter than the older F01 series or earlier E65 by comparison.

I'm 6'1" (185 cm) so fairly tall. The comfort seats in the photo in the rear are also not in 'standard' position...They were up and forward quite a bit at the time and for the life of me I couldn't get the seat controls to work at all in the rear...I even started to wonder if the electric seat controls were fitted but not functional in mine...until I finally read the ... manual!

An important point for you parents (or parents to be!) is that you can lock out the rear seat controls from the drivers side door using the 'master window lock' button. This locks out any rear seat adjustment or window adjustment.

Took me ages to realise that was what was stopping me!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 05:52 PM   #5
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Thanks, glad to be of help. ^

My drivers seat is indeed as far back as it goes and up quite high so this does make the rear leg room suffer and look very narrow indeed. It is still quite good and I can sit comfortably behind my drivers seat position without touching but it is indeed tighter than the older F01 series or earlier E65 by comparison.

I'm 6'1" (185 cm) so fairly tall. The comfort seats in the photo in the rear are also not in 'standard' position...They were up and forward quite a bit at the time and for the life of me I couldn't get the seat controls to work at all in the rear...I even started to wonder if the electric seat controls were fitted but not functional in mine...until I finally read the ... manual!

An important point for you parents (or parents to be!) is that you can lock out the rear seat controls from the drivers side door using the 'master window lock' button. This locks out any rear seat adjustment or window adjustment.

Took me ages to realise that was what was stopping me!
The rear leg room is an interesting point. I had a short wheel base 730d for a few days back when the new 7 series first came out. My eldest then would have been 13 and space was fine.

Having said that I do feel with the seat in my normal driving position there's more space in the rear of my M5 than on the SWB 7 series. Maybe that's with the rear seats reclined of course on the 7 which actually seems to slide the base forwards somewhat to achieve that. I'm right on that, yeah? I think it can move the back a bit but then if you keep reclining it then has to move the base of the seat forwards.

I guess you might only be a bit cramped if your 6 foot+ with a 6 foot plus person behind you. I don't know that for sure as not tried it but suspect that might be a bit cramped by that point.

The LWB is a huge difference. You have to speak to the person in the back via an intercom so they can hear you

But seriously if the 760 was available in SWB I'd probably have gone for that. Parking it will be that little bit nicer as it will overhang spaces a bit less in the UK. Both are still huge cars however.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 06:41 PM   #6
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
The rear leg room is definitely tighter than on previous 7's (like for like G11 to F01 in my case). It is definitely noticeable.

My own subjective opinion is that they have compromised the rear leg room a bit to give the electronics and dash a bit more room and further back than in previous models. Certainly the car is no longer or shorter than my previous F01 730d (I can promise you I know this very, very well as I have to park in a very, very tight space!) however, I do believe it has grown about 1 inch in width over the previous F01, again as I have 2" either side to park this beast so I know this as the wing mirrors, when folded still almost touch so it is not any shorter or longer and the boot is the same so my thoughts are that the rear has shrunk a bit but I can't really see where it has taken space from except to think it is the bonnet and dash that have grown but I've not measured or checked.

We don't have kids, nor do I tend to have anyone at all in the car for most of my journeys so doesn't bother me in the least but I can understand it being a factor for those with families. Not sure I'd want the LWB model for parking reasons as FastLaneJB mentions...that extra 23 or so cm's will really make themselves felt in car parks / garages!

A point about the seats though, I am not familiar with the M5 seats (whether they have massage and are able to contort quite so much as the 7 comfort seats? My point is that at least on the 7 series, the difference in thickness of the comfort front seats to 'normal or 'sport' seats is marked, likely due to the space needed to get that extra wiring and mechanisms in to do the massage and this takes up space compared to the thinner / firmer seats from a subjective look at pictures at least...this may be a reason why the space also looks smaller than expected and compared to previous incarnations.

I'd take the 760 in any version...and I'll drool appropriately (outside the car) should I see yours but I'll happily park mine instead thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 02:10 AM   #7
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

I'm only a measly 5'10 so hopefully it will give that little bit of extra in the back, I also don't carry people on a regular basis, I'm just thinking about the kids and with the car seat that we are planning to buy, the base has a leg that protrudes quite far but hopefully there will be still plenty of space. It might be smaller than before but it's still a 7 series after all right?

The problem is that all my dealers locally have 760s in the showroom, never seem to have any of the SWB models on display
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 05:28 AM   #8
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
If you know the dimensions I can measure that out for you and let you know but yeah, I think you'll be fine with the car seat.

To reiterate, I'm 6'1" and have the drivers seat all the way back, if I then get out and sit in the back (with the rear seats in default position, there's a button that puts them back to standard position) I do not touch the back of the drivers seat with my legs sat naturally. There is only about an inch between them and the seat back but I do not touch and I can't imagine many are going to put two 6'1" people behind each other so you'll have more room than this.

I can measure the distance between the bottom seat cushion and the back fo the front seat (all the way back and no excessive rake to the upper drivers seat and let you know that distance as well.

Optically the seats do look thicker and more chunky than many seats due to the rather bulky rectangular look of the seat back in this 7 with comfort seats compared to many sports seats or other cars that have leg channels cut out of the back of the seat...

Hope that helps, any update on when you get yours 325_bucks?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 05:37 AM   #9
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Thanks very much for your help, if you could measure something it would be great.

The car seat base I want to get is 690mm from the bit that touches the back seat upright cushion to the end of the front leg. So I need 690 from the rear seat to the back of the front seat, plus more for bigger car seats themselves, but 690 is the minimum.

No updates on mine yet, it's scheduled for production w/c 12th Feb and still due in the dealers early to mid march but I now know that the configuration is locked so apart from that there are no more updates yet
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 06:02 AM   #10
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
No problem, I'm going out in the car around 2 this afternoon so will check it then and get back to you later this afternoon.

Good that its only 6-7 weeks away, you guys are better than me in terms of dealing with the anticipation though! Won't be long now.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 07:28 AM   #11
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Thanks very much mate, appreciate it.

In real life my anticipation is much greater than it appears online! I have to stop myself chatting to BMW to get status updates every day even when I know there are probably no changes!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 11:22 AM   #12
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Seems BMW must have pushed each of the dealers to take some M760's as my dealer has two in stock as well though they do have a 740d SWB as well.

Yeah I don't get why a car of that length is quite so small on space in the rear. It is a little strange.

For reference taken a few pics of my M5 so you can see the space there plus the seat thickness. I'm not sure the 7 series seats are all that thicker at all. They are sports seats but still very well padded and comfortable. I'm 6"1 so the seat is in my driving position.

Very curious as to what is the reason for the bigger 7 being that bit tighter in the rear on the SWB. The SWB is longer than the M5 still.

Quote:
Certainly the car is no longer or shorter than my previous F01 730d (I can promise you I know this very, very well as I have to park in a very, very tight space!) however, I do believe it has grown about 1 inch in width over the previous F01, again as I have 2" either side to park this beast so I know this as the wing mirrors, when folded still almost touch so it is not any shorter or longer and the boot is the same so my thoughts are that the rear has shrunk a bit but I can't really see where it has taken space from except to think it is the bonnet and dash that have grown but I've not measured or checked.
My god your a parking ninja to have to do that all the time. I think your qualified for a LWB model :P

I'm hoping the remote parking will let me drive the car into my garage however the entrance is thinner than the inside of the garage. I found the manual bit around this and the tolerances the system wants on either side aren't given exactly as they use roughly but the roughly is too much. Wouldn't be the end of the world, I'd just have to park it on the drive inside like I do now. I just fancied having it in the garage if I didn't have the hassle of getting it in and trying to get out of the doors each time. It's a double length garage but not double width

Quote:
Good that its only 6-7 weeks away, you guys are better than me in terms of dealing with the anticipation though! Won't be long now.
I still don't know when I'm getting mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
Thanks very much mate, appreciate it.

In real life my anticipation is much greater than it appears online! I have to stop myself chatting to BMW to get status updates every day even when I know there are probably no changes!
I chased on Monday, am I allowed to do it again now? I think they've probably used all their V12 engines in all the stock they have sat around in UK dealers and run out or something like that.
Attached Images

Last edited by FastLaneJB; 02-02-2018 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 12:54 PM   #13
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks very much for your help, if you could measure something it would be great.

The car seat base I want to get is 690mm from the bit that touches the back seat upright cushion to the end of the front leg. So I need 690 from the rear seat to the back of the front seat, plus more for bigger car seats themselves, but 690 is the minimum.
Okay, I've put my drivers seat where I think most people would drive if they were my height and then measured the distance...it is only 68 cm without compressing any foam and I am not sure how far you would press in given the isofix system is not visible so hoping you'd have at least another 1 cm to give you the 69 you need but that would still be tight and touching. You may have the seat a bit more forward to drive and would need to if you were hoping to put the child seat behind your driver seat. Ideally I'd say you'd want to put it on the other side where the passenger seat is and likely not as far back as you might have yours so have more room but it does mean your wife wouldn't be able to look diagonally across to the baby while you were underway...I don't have kids so can't say how it should be done (if there is a logic to the madness!)

In any case, it will be tight if the length is actually 69 cm long. That is quite long and longer than you would need to sit even at 6'1" (Pictures at bottom of post):

Hope this helps in any case to figure out a strategy! I'm sure you can fit it in somehow but you may need to try things out. Let me know if I measured that wrong or you need another measurement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
Yeah I don't get why a car of that length is quite so small on space in the rear. It is a little strange.
Yeah, I agree. It is okay but not what you'd expect. If anyone is sitting in the back regularly as an adult, they want to have the G12 LWB.

Quote:
For reference taken a few pics of my M5 so you can see the space there plus the seat thickness. I'm not sure the 7 series seats are all that thicker at all. They are sports seats but still very well padded and comfortable. I'm 6"1 so the seat is in my driving position.

Very curious as to what is the reason for the bigger 7 being that bit tighter in the rear on the SWB. The SWB is longer than the M5 still.
Thanks, that is useful as a reference, not sure it is longer to be honest, maybe camera angles and such...have you measured the distance by change to see how long it is with your seat (drivers) where you would drive it? Would be curious to compare to this above measurement...

Quote:
My god your a parking ninja to have to do that all the time. I think your qualified for a LWB model :P
I am I'll admit after needing to be! Most friends have taken videos of it, it is that tight and admittedly stupid! I think you'll be fine in a garage (even a UK one) as there is still about 10 cm each side I think and the car will be okay with that...just not less than 10 cm or so...to amuse you more, here is my car shoe horned into the space...(yes, I could move the garden shed if I had a reasonable wife...but hey marriage is a compromise so it stays and I become a better parking god...

Quote:
I'm hoping the remote parking will let me drive the car into my garage however the entrance is thinner than the inside of the garage. I found the manual bit around this and the tolerances the system wants on either side aren't given exactly as they use roughly but the roughly is too much. Wouldn't be the end of the world, I'd just have to park it on the drive inside like I do now. I just fancied having it in the garage if I didn't have the hassle of getting it in and trying to get out of the doors each time. It's a double length garage but not double width
I'm sure you will, I've seen others do it fine in UK garages so you should be fine.

Quote:
I still don't know when I'm getting mine.
Hoping you hear something soon! It will be worth the wait I'm more than certain...not sure we'll be able to handle the smug smile you'll have once you do have it!

Safe travels. ^
Attached Images

Last edited by Pelo Cat; 02-02-2018 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 02:13 PM   #14
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Thanks again very much for taking the time to do this. It’s a bit concerning but the seat will be behind the passenger seat as then the baby is closer to the kerbside rather than road side most of the time, and being rear facing, you can’t look round and see them anyway.

I find it strange that my friend with the same car seat who has an old mondeo estate can fit this seat in and still have about 10cm gap to the front seat. I’m surprised a 7 series can seemingly be so “small”
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 03:49 PM   #15
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I can understand the concern, good to hear that the seat is facing backwards and can go passenger side, mind me asking if the dimension you gave is from the tip of the isofix end to the other end or is it genuinely the length that is touching seat cushion? I ask as the isofix points are quite deep in the seat and you have to zip down the small silver zippers you can see in the picture and then insert the isofix points in about 5 cm at least I believe...so this together with the fact that you may find the curvature of the seats and the way the child seat sits it may still clear the back fine..the points you see are a minimum...smallest point to point and also with the driver seat set for a 6' person...as always YMMV once you have it and try it out...but it is smaller than previous 7's and I guess they have finally decided to make the SWB for front seat pax with very occasional adults and LWB for everyone else...(only my subjective feeling though!)

Have a good weekend.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 03:53 PM   #16
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #17
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Here’s the picture from the site. The isofix bars extend out and into the car seat
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 03:55 PM   #18
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

As the back is sloping, the actual bottom dimension may be less than 690mm
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 04:12 PM   #19
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
As the back is sloping, the actual bottom dimension may be less than 690mm
Ah, thanks, yes, indeed, the seat does rake sharply as you go up so that will help and BMW manual does state that one should recline the seat further to help insert child seats and then bring it back up to meet the child seat after installation...so I think you will gain at least 5 cm's that way in any case but also more so that this 68 cm won't be the issue.

also, note that the ISOFIX points are higher up in the seat as well also you will be higher than the 'seat base' when it is inserted and supported on the floor by the lower legs of the child seat...you'll be fine.

I'll see if I can measure a few more points to show what I mean tomorrow (between the poor weather!)

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 04:15 PM   #20
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Thanks you’ve been extremely helpful.

I’ve just been out to measure my 6 and although th seats are too buckety to fit the car seat in, it seems the rear leg room is about the same, if not slightly more than the 7! With the drivers seat full back there is 62cm and in my driving position it’s about 69. But it looks like it will fit in the 7 and still leave good space for front passengers
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 04:07 AM   #21
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Pelo Cat I went to my local dealer who happened to have a 730d SWB in stock. I had a good play and measure. As you've all said im surprised by the level of rear legroom, it's certainly not huge for a car this size. The good news is that even with the passenger seat almost all the way back, it should fit the car seat in, I think!

I had a good play with all the toys, the rear electric seats have so much more adjustment that I was expecting, they are fantastic! If it wasn't for the legroom it would be awesome back there. I can certainly see the appeal of the LWB model.

Still very happy with the choice overall though, sitting in the front is a great place to be.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 04:44 AM   #22
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

So just for reference I've just measured the distance on the M5 with the seats in the position I showed (For me at 6 foot 1) and it's 74cm. Definitely that bit more room in the rear than the SWB 7 series.

Still glad the car seat will fit and you got to try one. I wonder if it's maybe the rear seats need to be a bit further forwards because of their ability to recline, etc? They are wonderful though as you say 325_bucks.

In most cars you want to be sat in the front passenger seat if your not driving as it's normally much more comfortable than the rear. In the 7 I think everyone pretty much gets the same comfort front and back.
Appreciate 0