BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

02-05-2018, 04:51 AM   #23
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

it is surprising just how much more space there is in the 5
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 05:12 AM   #24
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

325_bucks, indeed. Must be some packaging reason for it. I'd still probably have taken a SWB if I could however other than parking it should be OK. With the rear wheel steering when driving it other than you being aware it is big, it tricks you into feeling like the 5 series in size.

Assuming I do keep it for the full 4 years by the end my eldest is going to be 20, youngest will be 16. Both are boys so likely they'll have 6 foot plus friends to transport sometimes. The LWB will workout nicely at least in these regards.

Pelo_Cat, must have missed your picture of your 7 parked earlier. That's pretty tight!

You'd get a LWB in there, just have to park it diagonal once past the gate with rear wheel steering

Do you have the remote parking feature on your 7 series? If so are you using that to get it parked like that? It looks like your probably doing it as I don't think the car would go that close to the back on it's own.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 09:49 AM   #25
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Glad you could finally try a SWB out for yourself 325_bucks, and glad that it does indeed seem to fit with some faff...definitely worth having the SWB when parking, not only for the turn radius but also for the length, the LWB is something like 5.30m long and that means you HAVE to take up two spaces (front and back) where available like a 3.2T Sprinter van...which is not always going to be possible. The SWB 7 peaks out front and rear a bit when in a normal space but is still within the realm of possible. A LWB is lovely for space and luxury (with the extra sunroof and features) but it would be a nightmare to park (FastLaneJB will just have to rev his engine to scare a few smaller breeds away when he wants to park!)

As to parkking in mine...not a chance a LWB would fit...the front gates you can see just close with about 5 cm room to lift the ground level lever over and a LWB wouldn't let me close the gates!

My wife needs to park in the space you see as vacant in the pic (although with a mini it doesn't take up much *******. The posts that the garden gates are hinged on are quite chunky and are what I have to watch when reversing in...they only allow 5 cm (2") either side with the wing mirrors folded in....I plan to reposition them this coming Summer but for now, it is a very good sobriety test!

Hope both of your cars start progressing in order status soon, will be good to get first impressions and pics of the new rides.

325_bucks, yes, the rear seats do recline quite far don't they and they are great for comfort, if limited somewhat in leg room.

Safe travels.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 10:36 AM   #26
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

On a separate note, do your mirrors fold when locking immediately or only after holding the button down? I had to code my 6 to get them to fold immediately so it would be nice to not have to do that if possible.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 10:43 AM   #27
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Yes, they fold in automatically when you touch the door handles as you walk away (when the rest of the car locks)...so you don't have to press and hold a remote or get it coded...which is nice.

I haven't tried it with the display key or a normal remote to be honest, I just use the display key so can't say for the two normal fobs.

The F01 I used to have would only fold the wing mirrors if you pressed and held the key fob, (or used the button before leaving the car)...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 10:45 AM   #28
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

That's great, I assume using any of the key fobs would be the same then, fold immediately. It was a pain to have to do that for 3 seconds, getting it coded fixed that but nice not to have to do that, and it's the way it should be IMO.

When I was playing in the dealer the other day, I also noticed that the stalks are now mechanical instead of one touch, and means you can set it to auto wipers and leave it on rather than having to switch it on every time, that's a good thing for me, was something I couldn't code in my current car.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 11:43 AM   #29
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Ah that's good to know on the door mirrors. I was always holding down the comfort access button on my M5 to get the mirrors to folder after 3 seconds. I had a Mercedes C63S previously and you could set the mirrors to fold or not when you locked it in their Command system.

Guessing this might be an option in the iDrive now?

Pelo_Cat, there's no ladies to try and impress here. It's not 5.3m on the LWB, it's 5,238mm

The SWB is 5,098mm so it's still a really long car even in that form. My M5 can stick out of parking spaces in some places and that's 4,910mm.

I guess the plan for parking is to park far away so I don't annoy people and either stick out somewhat as you say be over the lines for a bay that's behind the car. Hopefully be enough room for a Smart to fit in

As for the turning circle you mention, I'd hazard a guess I'll be able to turn in a tighter circle with the rear wheel steering or at least it'll be similar. I think it makes quite a difference. So yeah not so worried about the turning circle, just the parking space sizes.

Still having said that not sure I'll risk it around some of the drive thru's either, got to look after the alloys!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 02:25 AM   #30
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
That's great, I assume using any of the key fobs would be the same then, fold immediately. It was a pain to have to do that for 3 seconds, getting it coded fixed that but nice not to have to do that, and it's the way it should be IMO.

When I was playing in the dealer the other day, I also noticed that the stalks are now mechanical instead of one touch, and means you can set it to auto wipers and leave it on rather than having to switch it on every time, that's a good thing for me, was something I couldn't code in my current car.
Agree about the folding mirrors, will give the other key fobs a go when I'm back home again and let you know, certainly many of the settings (if not all) that the driver has set are recorded to that driver profile and then attached to the key fob that has unlocked the door...be aware of a quirk with that (I think I read on the delivery thread from TheBry? on here...the display key and one of the regular key fobs are driver 1 and the 2nd regular key fob is driver 2 so mix them up at your settings peril IIRC. I'll try the rain sensor stalk setting and see if it remembers that is active or not (the button on the end of the stalk to activate the rain sensor)...if you were only talking about the speed of the intermittent wipers, when they are activated, yes, that is a thumb wheel mechanical setting and was also on the F series 7's as well.

Maybe worth knowing of another nice but small feature of the G series: the hold button can be activated permanently and does not need to be put on each time you get in the car. Even when you put the parking brake on the hold button remains on and is separate. (it used to deactivate when you put the parking brake on, on the F series). So, you don't need to activate it each time in the car and the profile and key fobs remember this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
Ah that's good to know on the door mirrors. I was always holding down the comfort access button on my M5 to get the mirrors to folder after 3 seconds. I had a Mercedes C63S previously and you could set the mirrors to fold or not when you locked it in their Command system.

Guessing this might be an option in the iDrive now?

Pelo_Cat, there's no ladies to try and impress here. It's not 5.3m on the LWB, it's 5,238mm

The SWB is 5,098mm so it's still a really long car even in that form. My M5 can stick out of parking spaces in some places and that's 4,910mm.

I guess the plan for parking is to park far away so I don't annoy people and either stick out somewhat as you say be over the lines for a bay that's behind the car. Hopefully be enough room for a Smart to fit in

As for the turning circle you mention, I'd hazard a guess I'll be able to turn in a tighter circle with the rear wheel steering or at least it'll be similar. I think it makes quite a difference. So yeah not so worried about the turning circle, just the parking space sizes.

Still having said that not sure I'll risk it around some of the drive thru's either, got to look after the alloys!
I don't remember seeing the wing mirrors on any setting in iDrive but it could be, there are so many choices I must admit I don't remember. It is indeed fantastic to finally have this basic feature and I use it every time. (who would leave their wing mirrors out if they had a choice?)

Love the comment about 'impressing the ladies' Thanks! (needed that laugh after a rather long day travelling yesterday, up at 4 AM and finally at hotel at 9 PM...so the laugh was great!

14 cm doesn't seem like much difference, I have to admit, so interesting to know...I could even move the garden shed just enough to fit one in maybe... Agree that your 4 wheel steering will be tighter radius than I have, but those 14 cm are on top of the 30 cm we already 'poke' out of the 4.8 m parking spaces! so you'll be 44 cm sticking out...I find about 20 cm one can get away with out the front where other cars pass, so am guessing you'll need to be overlapping the back space by 24 cm as well...or thereabouts. Or end spaces...but 44 cm hang over out front alone is going to be an issue for cars passing in front in a car park if you are near corners, etc...so some judicious parking ninja skills and contemplation is going to be needed. (lovely to have the rear seat space if someone is in there though!)

Hopefully the turning radius will help with the drive throughs and such tight corners in car parks...the surround view does help when in such spaces (I turn it on manually when I enter the car parks) as it helps to check you aren't going to hit and to ensure you don't curb the rims. There is a nice view that lets you ensure you don't curb on the pax side when parking on normal streets btw....as well as a car wash view to help align the wheels so they don't get curbed there as well. (car washes may be sacrilegious to you lot? I can't be bothered to do it by hand personally so this is a nice feature for me).

Greetings from Northern Sweden! (not with the car though!)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 02:35 AM   #31
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Car wash

On that subject, FastLaneJB are you planning on doing any protection on the car? I've instructed my dealer not to go near it with any washing or pre delivery prep work, and it's booked in for a new car detail and ceramic coating soon after collection. They even asked me if I wanted the white film left on but I thought that would be going too far!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 04:54 AM   #32
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Agree about the folding mirrors, will give the other key fobs a go when I'm back home again and let you know, certainly many of the settings (if not all) that the driver has set are recorded to that driver profile and then attached to the key fob that has unlocked the door...be aware of a quirk with that (I think I read on the delivery thread from TheBry? on here...the display key and one of the regular key fobs are driver 1 and the 2nd regular key fob is driver 2 so mix them up at your settings peril IIRC. I'll try the rain sensor stalk setting and see if it remembers that is active or not (the button on the end of the stalk to activate the rain sensor)...if you were only talking about the speed of the intermittent wipers, when they are activated, yes, that is a thumb wheel mechanical setting and was also on the F series 7's as well.
This has changed in the cars since you brought you one. They now have stalks that stay in place so the indicators for instance move down and stay down until you cancel them. Kind of like indicators do on most other makes of cars. This for me is awesome as despite having BMW's for so damn long I still occasionally go to cancel a 3 blip move signal to find it's just cancelled automatically... which results in me indicating to go the other way.

This surely has to be the reason BMW owners get it in the neck more than most for not using their indicators but finally they've fixed it.

I cannot remember fully but I think like 325_buck says the automatic rain wipers is moving the stalk down a notch which it'll stay when the car is off. The button on the end to enable that isn't the case anymore.

Quote:
Maybe worth knowing of another nice but small feature of the G series: the hold button can be activated permanently and does not need to be put on each time you get in the car. Even when you put the parking brake on the hold button remains on and is separate. (it used to deactivate when you put the parking brake on, on the F series). So, you don't need to activate it each time in the car and the profile and key fobs remember this.
Yeah looking forward to giving that a proper whirl as while most 5 series have it the M5 doesn't. Don't believe it works with the DCT gearbox. Do you use it all the time?

Quote:
Love the comment about 'impressing the ladies' Thanks! (needed that laugh after a rather long day travelling yesterday, up at 4 AM and finally at hotel at 9 PM...so the laugh was great!
Happy to amuse

Quote:
14 cm doesn't seem like much difference, I have to admit, so interesting to know...I could even move the garden shed just enough to fit one in maybe... Agree that your 4 wheel steering will be tighter radius than I have, but those 14 cm are on top of the 30 cm we already 'poke' out of the 4.8 m parking spaces! so you'll be 44 cm sticking out...I find about 20 cm one can get away with out the front where other cars pass, so am guessing you'll need to be overlapping the back space by 24 cm as well...or thereabouts. Or end spaces...but 44 cm hang over out front alone is going to be an issue for cars passing in front in a car park if you are near corners, etc...so some judicious parking ninja skills and contemplation is going to be needed. (lovely to have the rear seat space if someone is in there though!)

Hopefully the turning radius will help with the drive throughs and such tight corners in car parks...the surround view does help when in such spaces (I turn it on manually when I enter the car parks) as it helps to check you aren't going to hit and to ensure you don't curb the rims. There is a nice view that lets you ensure you don't curb on the pax side when parking on normal streets btw....as well as a car wash view to help align the wheels so they don't get curbed there as well. (car washes may be sacrilegious to you lot? I can't be bothered to do it by hand personally so this is a nice feature for me).

Greetings from Northern Sweden! (not with the car though!)
Your right, some places the parking is just going to be a nightmare and I'll hopefully just park well out of the way so not causing problems for others. Probably will be overhanging on a space behind where the spaces aren't big enough.

Cars are just getting bigger, quite a few cars end up overhanging bays these days. Hopefully it means people won't get too annoyed about it

Quote:
Car wash

On that subject, FastLaneJB are you planning on doing any protection on the car? I've instructed my dealer not to go near it with any washing or pre delivery prep work, and it's booked in for a new car detail and ceramic coating soon after collection. They even asked me if I wanted the white film left on but I thought that would be going too far!
Agree, car wash is a no-no!

So good question and I've not decided on protection. I have in previous years paid for the dealer to do it but I don't think they did an amazing job last time. I've a guy a couple of houses down that does detailing and got him to nano coat my M5 but not before it got a few stone chips on it Though I know those don't stop it but it might help a bit but also can help with people being careless near your car in a carpark.

Likely if he can fit it in I might pick it up and see if he can coat it pretty much straight away.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 04:58 AM   #33
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
This has changed in the cars since you brought you one. They now have stalks that stay in place so the indicators for instance move down and stay down until you cancel them. Kind of like indicators do on most other makes of cars. This for me is awesome as despite having BMW's for so damn long I still occasionally go to cancel a 3 blip move signal to find it's just cancelled automatically... which results in me indicating to go the other way.

This surely has to be the reason BMW owners get it in the neck more than most for not using their indicators but finally they've fixed it.

I cannot remember fully but I think like 325_buck says the automatic rain wipers is moving the stalk down a notch which it'll stay when the car is off. The button on the end to enable that isn't the case anymore.
Yes that's right, I also had never ending issues with the 3 flash, would always end up trying to cancel and then go the other way, then try to cancel that and go back the other way, never ending loop! So there is no more end button on the wiper stalk, just one notch up for automatic, so it can stay on, and then further notches for slow, fast etc
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 06:26 AM   #34
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Pelo_cat, light bulb moment. I've worked out the parking issue. I just need to travel around with some white paint in the boot. Then when I'm over sticking the bay I can paint a larger box around the car to show I'm clearly inside

Quote:
Yes that's right, I also had never ending issues with the 3 flash, would always end up trying to cancel and then go the other way, then try to cancel that and go back the other way, never ending loop! So there is no more end button on the wiper stalk, just one notch up for automatic, so it can stay on, and then further notches for slow, fast etc
Yeah that's as I thought it was just wasn't 100%. Same as most other cars on the planet.

The indicators are I'd have to say the most annoying thing about BMW ownership so far. Almost everything else is perfect but I've always hated the way they did this.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 06:39 AM   #35
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Car wash
and

Quote:
Agree, car wash is a no-no!
Heh, understood, I do appreciate that many wouldn't use them. I'll admit it and start a rehabilitation program! Hi, my name is Pelo Cat, and I have a problem, I use a car wash!

Quote:
Yeah looking forward to giving that a proper whirl as while most 5 series have it the M5 doesn't. Don't believe it works with the DCT gearbox. Do you use it all the time?
Yes. I find it brilliant for holding the car when one is at lights or stop and go traffic so you don't have to move your foot from a rest position at all and you don't have to reset it every time you use the parking brake. It is something that I very much like and use and why I wouldn't consider anything under a 5 series as they don't have it. Wasn't aware the M5 didn't have it but makes sense.

Quote:
Your right, some places the parking is just going to be a nightmare and I'll hopefully just park well out of the way so not causing problems for others. Probably will be overhanging on a space behind where the spaces aren't big enough.

Cars are just getting bigger, quite a few cars end up overhanging bays these days. Hopefully it means people won't get too annoyed about it
Very true, many are now bigger and with the move to SUV's this is indeed increasing so hopefully more people aware of it and more considerate / forgiving.

Quote:

and

Quote:
Ah, interesting regarding the intermittent wipers, that would be good, the button is a bit hit and miss indeed. Good to see continuous improvements on this area as well.

Regarding 3 blinks on turn signal indicators, I know what you mean, however, there was always (F series and G 2016) the ability in iDrive to change the behaviour from 3 blinks to single so you could enhance the behaviour a bit...but agree the stalk movement is quite good to change this, however, given the ACC I find it less of an issue as you generally move out and back in much earlier and later than when you would do this manually. At least using the 2 bar or 3 bar (roughly 2 seconds or 3 seconds spacing) and collision avoidance indicators in the wing mirrors (blind spot). Good to know that has changed as well, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 06:41 AM   #36
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Pelo_cat, light bulb moment. I've worked out the parking issue. I just need to travel around with some white paint in the boot. Then when I'm over sticking the bay I can paint a larger box around the car to show I'm clearly inside
Did you see that video of a guy in China that did just that, not only for parking spaces but also for lane markings (changing a turn lane to a turn and straight through lane as it suited him!) Crazy what people think they can get away with!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 07:03 AM   #37
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Did you see that video of a guy in China that did just that, not only for parking spaces but also for lane markings (changing a turn lane to a turn and straight through lane as it suited him!) Crazy what people think they can get away with!
No but I've just looked it up and watched it. The man did a cracking job of making it nice and straight all by hand. The end job looked like it was officially done.

I was thinking more of poorly painted and not all that straight like a 3 - 6 year old could do to add to the comedy value

I guess we think we have it bad for traffic in the UK but probably nothing like China. I'd still love for some nice north American roads where there's so much land vs the population size.

When I was in the US once there was a forest fire and they closed the interstate really late at night, got forced down this small road. The kind of road you see in horror movies with nothing around as far as the eye could see. There were quite a few snakes on the road that you could see and we didn't see another car for a good hour or so.

When we did and they had a pickup with rifles in the back they slowed down to talk to us (Probably because we was in a rental car and the road had turned to gravel and about to turn to sand...). I was about 75% sure they were likely to be cannibals out for an evening snack.

Being the gentleman I am though I was happy to go with ladies (wife) first to give me a chance to make a run for it It was the world's slowest rental car though so luckily they weren't cannibals and I lived to tell the story
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 08:36 AM   #38
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes. I find it brilliant for holding the car when one is at lights or stop and go traffic so you don't have to move your foot from a rest position at all and you don't have to reset it every time you use the parking brake. It is something that I very much like and use and why I wouldn't consider anything under a 5 series as they don't have it. Wasn't aware the M5 didn't have it but makes sense.
The new F90 M5 does have this feature because it's moved from a DCT to a ZF 8 speed gear box. So if you ever feel like a new M5 in your future it's got you covered

They've also added some of the other missing features on the new M5 that you couldn't get on the F10 version...

Active Cruise Control is now also available with the radar sensor. The steering wheel on the F10 has the M buttons where the active cruise buttons would be. They've move the M buttons so now they can offer it plus changed the grill to fit the radar on.

Full massage seats in the front even though they are sports seats. Previous only only moves your bum around

Sure there's other stuff but effectively they've fixed all the missing features that other 5 series could get for the most part. Though some still exist like no 4 wheel steering on the M5 but can specify that on other 5 series. Still it's a smaller car so doesn't need it as much.

Quote:
Very true, many are now bigger and with the move to SUV's this is indeed increasing so hopefully more people aware of it and more considerate / forgiving.
I saw a LWB van today which was pretty much taking up a whole lane of the car park. I'd have parked near to him as people would already be forced to the other side and I doubt I'd stick out quite that much so he'd anger them more. Just got to identify the right places to park.

Quote:
Ah, interesting regarding the intermittent wipers, that would be good, the button is a bit hit and miss indeed. Good to see continuous improvements on this area as well.

Regarding 3 blinks on turn signal indicators, I know what you mean, however, there was always (F series and G 2016) the ability in iDrive to change the behaviour from 3 blinks to single so you could enhance the behaviour a bit...but agree the stalk movement is quite good to change this, however, given the ACC I find it less of an issue as you generally move out and back in much earlier and later than when you would do this manually. At least using the 2 bar or 3 bar (roughly 2 seconds or 3 seconds spacing) and collision avoidance indicators in the wing mirrors (blind spot). Good to know that has changed as well, thanks.
Yeah you can change it to a single blink on the M5 as well but I kind of like 3 blinks. Someone might miss a single blink if changing lanes on a motorway for instance.

So not had ACC for a little while. I remember when it shows its detected a car in front of you if that car is going slower if you indicate and change lanes reasonably quickly it won't impact the speed your going. You don't have to rush but just do it reasonably quickly otherwise it'll start to slow you down. Once you get used to it then it's pretty easy traffic permitting to keep flowing at the speed you've set it.

325_buck, you'll definitely be happy you've specified this. If you've never used something like this before you'll be hesitant for a bit but once you get used to it you'll never want to go without. Well unless it's for a car with a lot of horsepower that doesn't have it as an option which was why I gave it up for a bit
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 08:44 AM   #39
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

said in the other thread but my car has started production now!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 09:09 AM   #40
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No but I've just looked it up and watched it. The man did a cracking job of making it nice and straight all by hand. The end job looked like it was officially done.

I was thinking more of poorly painted and not all that straight like a 3 - 6 year old could do to add to the comedy value
Yeah, too funny, like your idea though as well!

Quote:
I guess we think we have it bad for traffic in the UK but probably nothing like China. I'd still love for some nice north American roads where there's so much land vs the population size.

When I was in the US once there was a forest fire and they closed the interstate really late at night, got forced down this small road. The kind of road you see in horror movies with nothing around as far as the eye could see. There were quite a few snakes on the road that you could see and we didn't see another car for a good hour or so.

When we did and they had a pickup with rifles in the back they slowed down to talk to us (Probably because we was in a rental car and the road had turned to gravel and about to turn to sand...). I was about 75% sure they were likely to be cannibals out for an evening snack.

Being the gentleman I am though I was happy to go with ladies (wife) first to give me a chance to make a run for it It was the world's slowest rental car though so luckily they weren't cannibals and I lived to tell the story
Brilliant! Agree about North American roads, the biggest issue is getting bored and falling asleep rather than the density (in most places, there are notable exceptions it must be said!)

China/Turkey/Egypt are all places I wouldn't drive and didn't much enjoy being a passenger to be honest!

Quote:
The new F90 M5 features <snip>
^ Thanks, good to know (sincerely), (on a humorous note) may come in handy once I get my own version of mid-life crisis! (I'm past the age at 48 but it may still manifest itself!)

Quote:
I saw a LWB van today which was pretty much taking up a whole lane of the car park. I'd have parked near to him as people would already be forced to the other side and I doubt I'd stick out quite that much so he'd anger them more. Just got to identify the right places to park.
Heh, fair enough!

Quote:
Yeah you can change it to a single blink on the M5 as well but I kind of like 3 blinks. Someone might miss a single blink if changing lanes on a motorway for instance.

So not had ACC for a little while. I remember when it shows its detected a car in front of you if that car is going slower if you indicate and change lanes reasonably quickly it won't impact the speed your going. You don't have to rush but just do it reasonably quickly otherwise it'll start to slow you down. Once you get used to it then it's pretty easy traffic permitting to keep flowing at the speed you've set it.

325_buck, you'll definitely be happy you've specified this. If you've never used something like this before you'll be hesitant for a bit but once you get used to it you'll never want to go without. Well unless it's for a car with a lot of horsepower that doesn't have it as an option which was why I gave it up for a bit
Yeah, me too, 3 blinks works well for me, especially if I am relaxed and use the 2/3 bar spacing on ACC and traffic isn't too heavy. For heavy traffic, I find you need 1 bar spacing and almost have to turn off the damn blind spot/lane warning activation as it is very sensitive and starts blinking a storm in the wing mirror when you do indicate to merge into outside lane to overtake the lorry or other 'road users' doing 62 in middle lane...(I'll call them politely here even if I use another name most times) so you have to ignore it and the steering wheel corrections/vibrations.

Yes, the behaviour is as you say, once it detects the car in front (it will do so at around 4 seconds distance at motorway speeds, not sure about slower speeds if it changes the distance recognition, should be the same) it will wait until it approaches the distance you have set, which won't be four bars I can assure you...unless you are the god of patience! So, at 3 or 2 (Likely) bars distance it will start to slow you down gradually, however, if you indicate and before or at the time it just starts to slow down, it will maintain speed without issue and no 'stutter'...if you wait until it has slowed discernibly then it will take forever to realise and go faster again and slow up traffic coming up behind you noticeably...so some getting used to but once you get the hang of it, you can either let it work as expected (if you signal soon enough) or simply press the cancel/resume button on the steering wheel and then overtake and press resume when you are back in middle lane or where you want to be...

Agree that this (ACC) together with the lane steering are both very nice for most motorway driving conditions and brilliant for any slow stop and go...but both are not used by me in city driving as not responsive enough for the erratic behaviour of our fellow road users! (yet at least...everything changes)...the adaptive lights are also 'excuse the pun' brilliant...didn't think I would use those nearly as much as I do...far more than the high beam assistant on my old F series (non adaptive at that time on mine)...

Great news about the car 325_bucks...can't wait to hear and see your impressions (of your own specific car) when you have it!

I imagine FastLaneJB will go nuts waiting once you have yours as well...but I'm very happy for his to take a bit longer to keep the 'green monster <envy> at bay a bit longer!)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 09:12 AM   #41
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

I can't wait to use the selective beam, do adaptive lights offer anything other than the cornering lights?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #42
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I can't wait to use the selective beam, do adaptive lights offer anything other than the cornering lights?
Yes, quite a bit more...they adapt the distance they shine depending on the traffic and situation...they split and refocus depending on the traffic and they turn off one side (towards the traffic coming at you usually but depends on traffic) while leaving the other on high beam...so, truly adaptive. No changes in settings needed to have this other than the adaptive assistant button (in mine at least, where the high beam assist was in the past)...

it will even swing left and right independently depending on traffic so almost mesmerising!

Love them!

Need to go but will check back later!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 10:02 AM   #43
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
This video shows what they do really well. I almost always have this switched on at night on my M5.

Occasionally when you drive at night you'll notice some cars where one headlight seems stronger than the other. Not like old cars where the bulb has simply gone one side but like they do have high beam just on a single side. They don't dazzle you but that'll be a car with this feature switched on normally. Not too many cars still that do this or people specify the option but I love it as well like Pelo_cat.

Of course I'm looking forward to frickin lasers on my new one
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 03:36 PM   #44
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Of course I'm looking forward to frickin lasers on my new one
i’ll Start calling you Dr. Evil from now on!

Nice video that explains most of the features much better than I did of the Icon adaptive LED lights but leaves out a few so to add;

-variable light distribution: urban driving, low beam illumination is extended to the sides automatically at speeds below 30 or when braking below 25 mph. Motorway, width of the low beam pattern is increased (not to the immediate sides but further up at edges) at speeds above 68 mph for 30 seconds or more OR if speed > 87 mph at all (where legal ) and remains so until speed drops below 50 mph.

-some videos also show light distribution (not only splitting the beam) actively reduces in size or increases with oncoming traffic. So the right headlight will not only actively split and move to the right further to not bling the oncoming car but also dynamically shorten as the vehicle approaches and then then eventually switch off high beam altogether on that side when it reaches a minimum range to be reactivated once car is past and then dynamically ‘grows’ a bit as well.

Very cool features we’ll all have!

-frickin lasers: only i8 and 7 have them currently! You’ll need them in the 760 with the acceleration you’ll have!
Appreciate 0