BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

02-14-2018, 03:10 AM   #1
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
End of 750 V8 models from Sept. 2018 (Europe Only, other markets unaffected)

An interesting article on another 7 forum (7-Forum.com) talking about how the new Euro 6c standard, which comes into force in Sept. 2018, will mean that BMW will have to once again adapt their motors to meet the new standard. Apparently it requires real world test conditions and the use of lower rated petrol quality levels. Due to this, apparently BMW is going to stop delivering (only to the European market, other markets unaffected) the V8's used in the 750 (i/Li), M550i, X5 50i, X6 50i models from that date (1st Sept. 2018).

As this is for the European market only, where the numbers sold are lower anyway, it may have a smaller impact, however, anyone that absolutely wants a V8 model in the 7, 5, X5, or X6 may want to get one on order and delivered before the production/delivery stop of 1st Sept. 2018.

Is this the future for the v12 as well one has to ask? I sure hope not...

The original article (in German) is available here:

http://www.7-forum.com/news/BMW-V8-M...epas-8353.html
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 09:48 AM   #2
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
An interesting article on another 7 forum (7-Forum.com) talking about how the new Euro 6c standard, which comes into force in Sept. 2018, will mean that BMW will have to once again adapt their motors to meet the new standard. Apparently it requires real world test conditions and the use of lower rated petrol quality levels. Due to this, apparently BMW is going to stop delivering (only to the European market, other markets unaffected) the V8's used in the 750 (i/Li), M550i, X5 50i, X6 50i models from that date (1st Sept. 2018).

As this is for the European market only, where the numbers sold are lower anyway, it may have a smaller impact, however, anyone that absolutely wants a V8 model in the 7, 5, X5, or X6 may want to get one on order and delivered before the production/delivery stop of 1st Sept. 2018.

Is this the future for the v12 as well one has to ask? I sure hope not...

The original article (in German) is available here:

http://www.7-forum.com/news/BMW-V8-M...epas-8353.html
I guess if the V8 struggles, the V12 might likely be in the same boat. It's designed to run off 98 RON fuel. Can use 95 RON but they say it won't make maximum power and it's not ideal. Probably does have some impact on the emissions as well. I think more if your caught out and have to fill it it's fine but shouldn't use that all the time.

Maybe in 4 years time my M760Li will be a collectors item and worth lots of money? Last of the dinosaurs... Good job I did order when I did so I can have one V12 in my life before they rip them away from us.

Last edited by FastLaneJB; 02-14-2018 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 11:12 AM   #3
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
I guess if the V8 struggles, the V12 might likely be in the same boat. It's designed to run off 98 RON fuel. Can use 95 RON but they say it won't make maximum power and it's not ideal. Probably does have some impact on the emissions as well. I think more if your caught out and have to fill it it's fine but shouldn't use that all the time.

Maybe in 4 years time my M760Li will be a collectors item and worth lots of money? Last of the dinosaurs... Good job I did order when I did so I can have one V12 in my life before they rip them away from us.
Hard to say, the V8, while a stunning car in its own right, was still the middle model and so I can certainly see them keeping the V12 around but needing to find the balance of getting enough orders to justify it while ensuring it is not 'mainstream' so loses the customer base that wish to see it as 'exclusive' (which it is but not one of 100 for example).

Not sure that they would make it meet the new norm, unless all new vehicles must meet it, they would just state conformity to the previous standard, meaning some extra tax or other 'fines' in each country but still allowing it to be made, and enjoyed by those that value it. (raises hand! ME, ME, OVER HERE! )

Although, one never knows and indeed I do think you may just indeed have bought at the perfect time...4 years from now maybe not a classic yet but in 10...quite possibly! Especially in an individual colour!

I am torn about going to the dealer and asking to take the 760 out...I desperately would love to...but I know I would absolutely need one afterwards...and do whatever I needed to to get one after so not sure I want to do that until I win the lotto this Friday!

Surprised in a way that the news is still so quiet about the V8 being dropped to be honest, I guess it was already writing on the wall with the M3 going to smaller and turbo engines so this is a next logical conclusion....would be a shame to see the V12 go at some point down to an 8 or 10 cyl. If that did happen I may be nudged into finally embracing the obsession!

I'm certainly glad yours isn't coming for a good number of weeks...I need some 'cool down' time!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 11:33 AM   #4
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

I believe this is only temporary until they retool...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 12:12 PM   #5
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
I believe this is only temporary until they retool...
Hi dbs600, that could be, however, there is no commitment to re-introduce them from what I have read (which may be incorrect or missing some of the story...from the previous quoted 7 forum statement:

Quote:
Wann diese Modelle angepasst und auch in Europa wieder bestellt werden können, ist unbekannt. BMW teilte uns auf Anfrage mit "Zur Dauer der Angebotsunterbrechung machen wir keine Aussage".
My translation: At what point these models will be adapted and available to order again in Europe, is unknown. BMW answered our query on this with "regarding the length of the period of non-availability (of these models), we have no comment."

Which could simply mean we don't wish to state a time right now because it may change or we may encounter some snags that delay it, or it could mean that we have no plans to re-introduce them (as they were not economically viable anyway or some other reason...) and want to let it die a quiet death...(as one person once said: do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light) copyright of Dylan Thomas

Always good to debate and explore what statements really mean so welcome any other views as I'd hate to see the V8's leave us in Europe...even with no immediate plans to buy one...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 02:40 PM   #6
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hard to say, the V8, while a stunning car in its own right, was still the middle model and so I can certainly see them keeping the V12 around but needing to find the balance of getting enough orders to justify it while ensuring it is not 'mainstream' so loses the customer base that wish to see it as 'exclusive' (which it is but not one of 100 for example).
My feeling is they'll never do another V12 after this one. Still I guess as they use it for Rollers they likely will fix it.

Quote:
Not sure that they would make it meet the new norm, unless all new vehicles must meet it, they would just state conformity to the previous standard, meaning some extra tax or other 'fines' in each country but still allowing it to be made, and enjoyed by those that value it. (raises hand! ME, ME, OVER HERE! )
Normally with European law they'd probably be forced to stop selling it, likely why they are removing it.

However the new M5 is a V8 and while not exactly the same engine, it's just a more tuned version of this one. You'd think that might be affected as well.

Quote:
Although, one never knows and indeed I do think you may just indeed have bought at the perfect time...4 years from now maybe not a classic yet but in 10...quite possibly! Especially in an individual colour!
I'll never keep it that long, 4 years tops I think which is how long I'm doing the PCP for.

Quote:
I am torn about going to the dealer and asking to take the 760 out...I desperately would love to...but I know I would absolutely need one afterwards...and do whatever I needed to to get one after so not sure I want to do that until I win the lotto this Friday!
Funny but I'm winning the lottery this Friday, I don't want to have to share. You need to wait until Wednesday

If you think to gangster movies where they get the loot but then bump the others off because they want a bigger share. Well I've already discussed with my wife how much lotto money I'd have to give her to be sure she doesn't bump me off for my cut and it's £20 million. I think this is one of those important things to get clear with any partner up front so you know if you've won enough to live or if you need to go on the run

Back to the 760, got to give it a go. I wasn't expecting you to buy one but just give it the good thrashing it deserves. However no harm in having the next car on dream, it's what motivates me to work my ass off at work. I basically work for horsepower and fuel

Quote:
Surprised in a way that the news is still so quiet about the V8 being dropped to be honest, I guess it was already writing on the wall with the M3 going to smaller and turbo engines so this is a next logical conclusion....would be a shame to see the V12 go at some point down to an 8 or 10 cyl. If that did happen I may be nudged into finally embracing the obsession!

I'm certainly glad yours isn't coming for a good number of weeks...I need some 'cool down' time!
It's just a matter of time with engines downsizing, then hybrids for everything and finally fully electric. I'm not too bothered, I'll have owned a V12 and will be able to tell my grandchildren how cool a noisy car was back in the good ole days
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 04:39 AM   #7
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
However the new M5 is a V8 and while not exactly the same engine, it's just a more tuned version of this one. You'd think that might be affected as well.
True, a good point, however, I imagine the sales numbers are significant enough to warrant doing changes to that model, however, it may bode well for other V8's then as well...time will tell! Let's hope so, although, that may become the new '760' engine base then...

Quote:
If you think to gangster movies where they get the loot but then bump the others off because they want a bigger share. Well I've already discussed with my wife how much lotto money I'd have to give her to be sure she doesn't bump me off for my cut and it's £20 million. I think this is one of those important things to get clear with any partner up front so you know if you've won enough to live or if you need to go on the run
I best get this sorted before Friday then!

Quote:
Back to the 760, got to give it a go. I wasn't expecting you to buy one but just give it the good thrashing it deserves. However no harm in having the next car on dream, it's what motivates me to work my ass off at work. I basically work for horsepower and fuel
I will indeed have to give one a go...would love to try it. I do love the 7 models...back in 2011 it was the reason I got my first 7 (if not now then when type mentality)...that led to me not wanting or being willing to compromise again and then getting the G11...if I try the 760...I may fall in love yet again and NEED it... (to (mis)quote a famous football expression....Is it a matter of life and death? It's much more important than that! (getting a 760Li as next car!)....

Quote:
It's just a matter of time with engines downsizing, then hybrids for everything and finally fully electric. I'm not too bothered, I'll have owned a V12 and will be able to tell my grandchildren how cool a noisy car was back in the good ole days
Sadly all too true.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 05:25 AM   #8
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I will indeed have to give one a go...would love to try it. I do love the 7 models...back in 2011 it was the reason I got my first 7 (if not now then when type mentality)...that led to me not wanting or being willing to compromise again and then getting the G11...if I try the 760...I may fall in love yet again and NEED it... (to (mis)quote a famous football expression....Is it a matter of life and death? It's much more important than that! (getting a 760Li as next car!)....
It's a tricky one as I started with my first BMW being a 3 series, had 2 of those as in a 330d and a 335d xDrive. Then the 5 series in the M5 which makes you think you could never go back to a 3 series because of the additional comfort and features available. Now up to a 7 series and I imagine it'll mean I'll never want to go back to a 5 series.

Might sound weird but if you have a fast car as a daily driver you do get used to it and then a bit numb to the speed. I'm not so bothered these days about fast cars so I guess I'm growing out of it a bit. The main reason for the 760 is if you take a 740d and spec it up to the gills like the 760 comes it's very close to the monthly payment of a 760. By that point it would simply be rude not to as I don't do huge amounts of miles and not that bothered by the fuel economy.

Still I'd be prepared to give up the luxury and slum it in a McLaren 720S if I could get my hands on one
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 01:37 AM   #9
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Emission Nazis on the turf