BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

02-14-2018, 04:36 PM   #1
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Tire Pressure 'Safety feature' limits speed

Has anyone else had the car limit their speed due to under inflated tires?

Last weekend I noticed in the colder weather the tire pressure monitor was indicating the tire pressure was low (down 0.2 and 0.3 bar so 1.9 and 2 instead of 2.2

I didn't get around to putting more air in until Monday but early on Monday while overtaking a white panel van on a dual carriageway that was happy to do just over 60 mph but sped up as I was overtaking them (maybe unintentionally) so that I ended up having to increase my speed until a warning came up on the control display stating that due to the low tire pressure I was limited to speeds below 130 km/hr (it displayed in metric although the car is set for imperial)...while this may be in my interest for safety until I had put more pressure in the tires, it did strike me as a bit dangerous had I needed to accelerate beyond that temporarily!

I did not try to 'kick down' to see if I could over-ride it, I simply reduced my speed and pulled back in (as the traffic was quite light) and stayed behind the (insert expletive here) white panel van driver...I must have made his day...

Anyway, my point is to say that if you are not aware of this, you are now and to ask if anyone else has experienced this on their G series 7? Can one override it if needed and I just didn't accelerate further? (who does when a warning comes up on the display!) A warning to certainly make sure you do keep the tires inflated to the proper levels or be aware that there may be limits if you do have a low pressure warning. (I am on run flats and although low did find it a bit nanny state to limit when down 0.3 bar...at 0.5 I could see it personally at best...but maybe I am over-reacting!

Thoughts? Experience of this? TIA...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 05:12 AM   #2
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Very interesting and agree with our busy roads could be dangerous. As much as they advertise that speed can kill, you can get in a situation on occasions where speed can save lives.

As an example driving at night only maybe a month ago came along a car doing 50mph in a 60mph, road looked clear so I just pulled out to overtake at a nice leisurely 60mph. However roughly when level pegging the car I was overtaking noticed a faint light. Turned out to be a car with just a single working side light on, no headlights in the dead of night and not all that far away either. The only thing that stopped me hitting that car was punching it in an M5 and nipping back in extremely quickly. I think if I didn't have a car with the kind of performance of the M5 I'd have not had a chance of avoiding him. Unbelievable risk people put driving a car with so many faulty lights at night but in that occasion, breaking the speed limit saved an accident.

Did the car warn you before overtaking that it was limiting you like when you turned it on or not long after? That would be more acceptable than letting you know just when you needed it.

Guess need to watch the tire pressures on my new one a bit more carefully then, pretty sure I've been down a bit more than your saying and not had a limit on the M5. So probably something they've added to newer cars.

You'd hope kick down would override it as the car understands then it's maybe an emergency you go faster.

Oh and I imagine Billy van driver was down the pub laughing with his mates how he out ran your 7 series in his van I think you do need a 760 after all
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 07:15 AM   #3
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
Very interesting and agree with our busy roads could be dangerous. As much as they advertise that speed can kill, you can get in a situation on occasions where speed can save lives.
Agree, not often but occasionally one does need to exceed to avoid danger as your example showed or many others. ^

Quote:
Did the car warn you before overtaking that it was limiting you like when you turned it on or not long after? That would be more acceptable than letting you know just when you needed it.

Guess need to watch the tire pressures on my new one a bit more carefully then, pretty sure I've been down a bit more than your saying and not had a limit on the M5. So probably something they've added to newer cars.
No, obviously, it did warm me the tire pressure was low on one or more wheels and offered to go to the tire pressure menu but did not state that a speed limitation was in place then. Only when I crept up to the roughly 81 mph point did it pop up on the display and tell me I couldn't exceed the speed of 130 kph as this would be 'unsafe'...As you say, hopefully it would allow kick down but didn't want to try it as I was really only overtaking a slow driver and on dual carriageway so no oncoming traffic to worry about.

Quote:
You'd hope kick down would override it as the car understands then it's maybe an emergency you go faster.
One can hope, I'll try not to have this pop up again as I'll do the tire pressure asap now that I know its limitations but yeah, quite sensitive really when only 0.2 or 0.3 bar below recommended and 'monitored' pressure. Curious if it was a low threshold that triggered it or simply a level below 'monitored' ? (for example: with only me and my rim/tire choice 2.2 is normal, but with full load and 4 pax it would be 2.2 and 2.6 IIRC, so would it trigger at 2.0 or at 2.4 in the rear tires? Or is it simply when it gets to a 'critical' level of 1.8 or some other value? Not sure, but one to be aware of ...

Quote:
Oh and I imagine Billy van driver was down the pub laughing with his mates how he out ran your 7 series in his van I think you do need a 760 after all
Indeed! Luckily at 48 I no longer see 'red' when such 'insert expletive' do such things or cut one up...I just say to myself 'go on you tw...' and let them go hassle someone else knowing what luxury and comfort I'm in...so don't feel the need to race or be aggressive any longer!

You young pups may still feel the need for speed!

And by the way, when I win on Friday, I'd still stick to a 7, just an individual 7 and indeed a 760Li...so may need to test drive it before then so I won't feel pressured!

Love the look of McLaren, Ferrari, etc...but old enough to want practical and not too flash a car anymore to enjoy life so not centre of attention and can just about blend in...anonymity is great!

Should you win on Friday, I'll still meet up with you and appreciate your McLaren but would envy you more in the 760 truth be told!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 03:21 AM   #4
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Had a bit of a morning today, first, tire pressure monitor came up again for one tire only, wondering if someone let some air out of one tire as really low, near flat! Speed restriction warning came up again, definitely says speed limited to 130/80 kmph/mph until sorted, sorry no pic as a bit pressed for time. Managed to find a working pump at 5 this morning in the pouring rain...all good, since then stays inflated, may have been some idiot in the long stay Bath car park...anyway, then driving down to South coast, my ACC warning comes on! All collision detection and cruise disabled! It wasn’t raining that hard so was worried it might be ingress on radar unit from rock hitting or some other horror story...had to actually drive the damn car! upon stopping, go to check and impossibly, a small 5cm square (roughly) chunk of closed cell foam (used for packing items) had blown up onto the ACC sensor and stayed there with varying speeds, rain, etc...for about half my journey (ca. 60 miles)...now all sorted but I get the feeling someone is telling me I should have stayed in bed today!

Hope everyone else is having a better week start than this! Safe travels.
      03-12-2018, 07:49 AM   #5
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Ultimately though this is all good in that the car did exactly what you'd want it to do in all those situations. Bit of a pain but it's keeping you safe which is the important bit.

Back when I had a company car I got a flat (Nail in the tire when parked up so not an accident). Took it to get sorted and they fixed it. All good for 2 days then the following morning flat as a pancake on my drive. Re-inflated it and took it to get looked at and they couldn't find anything up with it. My company wouldn't change the tire unless they found an issue with it so had to stick with it.

Roughly 4 days later again parked on my drive, flat as a pancake. Same story, took it to get checked out and they couldn't find an issue so wouldn't change it. Told my boss I didn't feel happy driving a car where the tyre randomly went fully flat so got a nice Freelander 2 hire car (Better than my company car).

About 2 months later the fleet manager phoned me up asking why I'd got a hire car for so long as it was costing them a lot of money. I said I was waiting for them to authorise paying £30 for a new tyre for my car. Despite that they still wouldn't change it without someone saying there was an issue. Eventually they arranged to go to the dealer and they actually took the tyre off the wheel this time. Issue was the obvious, they'd damaged the tyre on the inside putting it on. Seems it would stay inflated almost all the time but park with the wheel at a certain rotation and it would just deflate.

Finally got my new tyre and had to give up my loaner. Must have cost them a few £k of hiring charges, wasting my time so I couldn't be used on work, etc all because policy wouldn't allow them to buy a tyre without a garage saying it's needed.

I don't miss having company cars and the issues with that. Plus the amount you get taxed is ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 05:01 PM   #6
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Very true, everything did what it was supposed to and is all sorted again quickly...

Yeah, company car rules and conditions can be a pain at times!

Sounds like it was a nightmare with the random issue on the tire! Good ol days eh!
      03-13-2018, 01:34 PM   #7
x5mannn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 4.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Very true, everything did what it was supposed to and is all sorted again quickly...

Yeah, company car rules and conditions can be a pain at times!

Sounds like it was a nightmare with the random issue on the tire! Good ol days eh!
Does that on my F30, actually it also blocks choosing Sport and Sport plus mode
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2018, 01:54 PM   #8
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Oh wow, okay thanks, that’s very good to know as well!

I’m usually in comfort plus (hence my ‘princess’ handle) or adaptive...will have to read up on whether adaptive will ‘do’ sport in such situations or not...)

Will try it if it comes on again.

Thanks again, good to know conditions for this. ^

Have you decided on a 7 x5mannn? (Which one if so?)

Safe travels
      03-13-2018, 03:46 PM   #9
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I’m usually in comfort plus (hence my ‘princess’ handle) or adaptive...will have to read up on whether adaptive will ‘do’ sport in such situations or not...)
How are you getting on with Adaptive as I remember you said you'd not used it much?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 04:33 PM   #10
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Meh, I am trying to use it all the time and hope that it will then be more noticeable for my driving style but my impression is that it is still almost always in comfort or comfort plus mode...I don't feel the side bolsters tightening up, I don't seem to note the throttle response improving or more rev happy...so today during my blast cross country I ended up switching to sport a few times and enjoyed that...will still give it a bit more of a chance but may ask the dealership if they can 'reset' it so I can see if it picks up the two sides of my driving style better (sport or comfort plus baby!)

Will let you know.
      03-13-2018, 04:49 PM   #11
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Well I'm planning to give it a good go while running it in at least to see if I can tell with it. The reviews generally all have very good feedback on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 04:54 PM   #12
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well I'm planning to give it a good go while running it in at least to see if I can tell with it. The reviews generally all have very good feedback on it.
To be fair, I'm probably just a laid back sedate kind of princess driver...so it says 'pillow' mode and doesn't bother changing anything!

Maybe I do need to set the side bolsters to kill more often?
      03-13-2018, 05:01 PM   #13
x5mannn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 4.8

Quote:
Oh wow, okay thanks, that’s very good to know as well!

Will try it if it comes on again.

Thanks again, good to know conditions for this. ^

Have you decided on a 7 x5mannn? (Which one if so?)

Safe travels
I am leaning to a CPO 750 xdrive , not ready yet have still 6 months my lease
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 06:40 PM   #14
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mannn View Post
I am leaning to a CPO 750 xdrive , not ready yet have still 6 months my lease
Nice! Do let us know when the time comes please, would be great to hear what you change to (even if not a 7, we'll just burn an effigy of you if you do) and why as it's always good to hear others opinions on what 'drove' them to a specific car/model...

We hope to welcome you to the 7 brotherhood in time then!

Safe travels.
      03-17-2018, 09:07 AM   #15
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
So it appears I have a slow leak on my passenger side rear tire, hence why earlier this week the pressure was low on that tire (thought it was someone messing with that tire in a car park, turns out not).

Today message came up again, down to 1.7 pressure so filled it up asap, and now need to think about what I am going to do...

A) just replace the one tire and put off other choices until later (such as buying a new set of rims with summer tires and then this autumn put a new set of winter tires on these rims and use them straight away, reducing aging of the rubber. Cost likely around £250 for the tire, then the new set of rims with tires 2.5 to 4k I guess in about a month...with winter tire costs deferred until Autumn so 1k at that time but then sorted.
B) put winter tires on the whole set now, saving the cost of the one tire and having a set ready for next winter, even though they will be stored and 'age' for 6 months before use again as it won't be long now before one can't use winter tires any more and would need to switch tires (a month maybe max?). Means I have saved the cost of a tire but have to buy 4 winter tires now and then in very short time, need to buy the summer tires and rims. (1k for tires now, 2.5 to 4k in a month)...
C) other option I am not thinking of? (not much of a fan of trying to fix/seal the leak but maybe others have experience and find it not too bad? (can one even on a run flat)...

No visible damage to the tire or rim so guessing it is something on the tire tread somewhere with a nail, etc...hoping it is not some damage to the rim I don't see that would add to the money or cost issues.

That sound about right? Any other thoughts/Options?

Wanting to get a bigger set of rims for the summer, current rims are good for the winter and are 18s, same size tire all round. Summer looking to go 20 inch rims with offset sizes likely needed.
      03-17-2018, 02:50 PM   #16
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I'd go with option D.

Buy a M760Li which comes with a new set of wheels and write off your 730d.

But more seriously it's cold right now again this weekend but winters are probably a bit late to bother. You can fit run flats sometimes and a slow leak is likely fixable. If it's a reasonable amount of tread left I'd maybe just go that route.

Give you time to do the other options when your ready and had time to consider your options better.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 08:11 AM   #17
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'd go with option D.

Buy a M760Li which comes with a new set of wheels and write off your 730d.

But more seriously it's cold right now again this weekend but winters are probably a bit late to bother. You can fit run flats sometimes and a slow leak is likely fixable. If it's a reasonable amount of tread left I'd maybe just go that route.

Give you time to do the other options when your ready and had time to consider your options better.
I like option D! No fuss way to go...

Thanks for the comments, I'll ask about repairing the slow leak and see what is causing it and what can be done...would be good as still around 5 mm on it so shame to bin it and buy a new one.

Will start a thread about new rims for the body colour.

Any movement on yours FastLaneJB ?
      03-18-2018, 08:47 AM   #18
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Will start a thread about new rims for the body colour.

Any movement on yours FastLaneJB ?
I think a Gangster Princess needs gold rims, maybe with spinners

Last I chased it on Friday morning and still the same status code, released to carrier I think. Fingers crossed it can arrive first part of week of the 26th and can get it in a day or two. However I suspect it'll take a couple of days for the dealer to prep it, etc. So I'm liking the first week of April before I can pick it up.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 02:58 AM   #19
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think a Gangster Princess needs gold rims, maybe with spinners

Last I chased it on Friday morning and still the same status code, released to carrier I think. Fingers crossed it can arrive first part of week of the 26th and can get it in a day or two. However I suspect it'll take a couple of days for the dealer to prep it, etc. So I'm liking the first week of April before I can pick it up.
Yeah Baby, yeah! I'll dazzle them with my spinners and gold rims and then cut them in half with my frickin lasers!

Well one good thing with the delay is that you won't have to deal with all the salt that has been on the roads...I had washed mine mid week last week and Monday afternoon it looked like I had prayed to the seagull god from the amount of white on the car....ugh.

I'm not sure what is going on with my tires anymore...I've been checking the tire pressures every time I get in the car the last few days and the suspect wheel seems fine...not dropped at all over the last few days...so either it is someone that has let some air out OR maybe something like what you had back in the day with it requiring a specific wheel / tire position to be able to lose the air...will have to watch it some more and try to get to the bottom (ha, see what I did there!) of this pressure issue.
      03-23-2018, 06:15 PM   #20
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
So, in the ongoing saga, I've been checking the pressure every day lately and the tire is still fine and not dropping so excluding a specific spot on the rim/tire that causes this loss of pressure...I think it is the TPM itself...as the warning is coming up each time I start the car now and the pressures are all fine (and within 0.1 of each other)...so will have to stop by a BMW garage and see if they can sort that out (not sure if that will be under the service coverage or not?)

In any case, don't want to be limited to 80 just in case and the warning message is getting annoying.

Will report back!
      03-23-2018, 06:32 PM   #21
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So, in the ongoing saga, I've been checking the pressure every day lately and the tire is still fine and not dropping so excluding a specific spot on the rim/tire that causes this loss of pressure...I think it is the TPM itself...as the warning is coming up each time I start the car now and the pressures are all fine (and within 0.1 of each other)...so will have to stop by a BMW garage and see if they can sort that out (not sure if that will be under the service coverage or not?)

In any case, don't want to be limited to 80 just in case and the warning message is getting annoying.

Will report back!
How old is the car? More likely a warranty issue than a service pack issue.

Not an expert on TPM as never hugely looked into it but believe it's a wireless sensor inside each of the tyres. I cannot imagine they are all that expensive even if the car wasn't in warranty / covered.

Limited to 80mph is something you need to get sorted out though, don't want you slowing us British down

I had a more annoying problem on my 335d at one point. One of the parking sensors thought I was always about to hit something so would give the constant beep. You didn't have to be parking for it to do it because if you get close enough to something even when not parking they switch on. So it would just beep all the time while driving it. I had to turn the audio off for the parking sensors until BMW replaced it for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 06:39 PM   #22
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
How old is the car? More likely a warranty issue than a service pack issue.

Not an expert on TPM as never hugely looked into it but believe it's a wireless sensor inside each of the tyres. I cannot imagine they are all that expensive even if the car wasn't in warranty / covered.

Limited to 80mph is something you need to get sorted out though, don't want you slowing us British down

I had a more annoying problem on my 335d at one point. One of the parking sensors thought I was always about to hit something so would give the constant beep. You didn't have to be parking for it to do it because if you get close enough to something even when not parking they switch on. So it would just beep all the time while driving it. I had to turn the audio off for the parking sensors until BMW replaced it for me.
June 16 first reg, so within warranty. Not too expensive I believe to replace from a quick look, something like a tenner or a bit more so not the world, except if they add labour to remove the tire and all the palaver associated.

Very true...

ugh, that would do my head in (the parking sensor constant beep) not had anything like that thankfully...have had the opposite (they were frozen so didn't beep at all)...so ended backing into a parked car with a company car back in 2004...learned my lesson to not just trust parking sensors I can assure you!

Will update once I talk to the garage.