BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

08-02-2023, 11:12 PM   #1
caesar
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 750i xDrive

Help - Terrifying Experience Locking Car: Thought I was being jacked

I have a 2015 750i xDrive. I just had a terrifying experience. I got in my car at a parking lot, started the engine, and to my astonishment, someone opened the driver side door and got in the car. I thought I was being jacked.

Everything is ok, it turns out he was confused, probably drunk or high. I'll report issue to police.

Question: The driver side door was locked. How is it possible this person was able to open the door from the outside, while I'm in the inside with the engine running. This worries me because once I am in the car, my guard is way down. I imagine I am lucky to be alive. This person could've probably attacked or killed me.

Once I am in the car, yes the key fob is with me, how the hell do I prevent someone from opening the driver side door? I have tested this myself now, the door opens, while key fob is in proximity.

Please help!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 08:55 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Question...how do you have your door/lock setting? Do ALL doors unlock when you use your fob or comfort access? Or do you have selective central locking checked off in iDrive...this is where only the driver's door unlocks with first remote fob button press or touch of driver's door CA ridges on the door handle?

If you have the latter option selected (driver's door only unlocks with 1st press of remote fob or CA door ridges)...are you saying that your passenger doors can be opened (when they are locked) and the fob is inside the car?

Make sure you have DRIVER'S DOOR ONLY selected...especially if you drive most time alone...this will keep all the passengers doors locked unless you press the remote fob or CA door handle ridges a second time:

Also...if you have TAILGATE + DOORS selected...anytime you open the trunk/tailgate...all the doors will unlock, too. And if you were only putting something in the trunk, and not getting into the car...the doors will remain UNLOCKED if you walk away and don't re-lock the vehicle. This is why I have TAILGATE ONLY selected...it will only unlock the trunk/tailgate when I use that button or manually open the trunk/tailgate. I can shut the trunk/tailgate and walk away without having to RE-LOCK the vehicle.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-03-2023 at 09:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 07:22 PM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Any update? I checked my f06 today and I didn’t have the same experience you did.

As mentioned (and seen) in my post above…I have my central locking system set to only unlock the driver’s door with the 1st press of the fob or CA (comfort access) ridges on the door handle. So when I unlock the car to get in, only the driver’s door is unlocked…everything else is still locked (passenger doors & trunk).

I left the remote on the center console next to the gearshift lever….got out and walked around to the passenger side…and neither passenger door could be opened and they were still locked since only my driver’s door unlocks without a 2nd press of the remote button or CA door ridges. And the remote fob was still sitting on the center console…and I also tried to manually open the trunk as I walked back around to the driver’s door…and it was still locked, too.

Based on my test today…I wonder if you have iDrive set to UNLOCK all of your doors…so when you got in and started the engine…all of your doors were unlocked which allowed that stranger to pull your exterior door handle to gain entrance.

Report back if this is the case…if not, then perhaps something is wrong with your central locking system.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 12:23 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

One & done? Ghost post?

I checked my f15 X5’s operation and it works just like my f06 650ix GC as described in my post above.

Check your settings in iDrive and your central locking operation to determine if you can replicate the scenario you originally presented.

Report back and let us know if it was operator error or if you have a real issue with your central locking system.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-05-2023 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 10:34 AM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Since we haven't heard back...I guess we can chalk this up to operator error.

But glad you came away from the incident unscathed.

Appreciate 0