BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

06-10-2023, 11:38 AM   #1
Blillpers
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 530I -08

Buying advice, F01 vs F10

Hello,
First post here so bear with me.

I currently drive a 2008 E60 530i, 272 hp N53, and have overall been very happy with the car during the past 2 years I've owned it. I've had very few issues, the MPG is impressive and I've done all servicing and minor repairs myself. I've driven Volvos since I got my license, but got into BMWs after watching M539 Restorations on Youtube and I don't regret it. Still own a few classic Volvos I drive in the summer.

Anyways, I'm looking to upgrade after over 2 years with my E60. I'm currently looking at either the F10 or F01, but to be honest I'm very tempted by the 7 series. I'm afraid I'll regret it if I settle for a newer 5 series. I recently got a new job and have a bit longer commute, so I'm primarily looking for comfort and decent MPG. Therefore I'm primarily looking for a diesel, but perhaps the newer turbo petrol 6s are decent on the highway too? I'm perfectly in the clear that a 7 series will be more expensive to maintain, but I feel like it could be worth it. I've looked up the insurance and it's pretty acceptable considering I'm getting older. The road tax isn't too bad either.

- It's a bit easier to find a good F10, but the prices are similar and I would like to hear a bit how it compares to the F01 in terms of comfort, cabin noise and reliability?

- What are the sound systems like on the F01/F10? My E60 has the base spec audio system and it's terrible. My old Volvo 960 has much better sound. Anything I should avoid?

- Should I go for a LCI of either model? Any major advantages compared to pre-LCI?

- How are these slightly newer cars from a DIY perspective? I've found the E60 to be pretty easy to work on. I'm not a professional in any way, but I do enjoy working on cars and believe I'm on a pretty good amateur level.

I'm located in Sweden, Europe btw. Any advice is welcome!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 02:25 PM   #2
HVMihnea
Rep
Drives: F01 730d, G11 730d

Hello!
I've owned an F01 730d for 11 years (I still have it!). Meanwhile, I got the newer G11 730d, and I still prefer driving the old one. It's that good.

Otherwise, since we both live in Europe, I found it funny how you bait yourself with stuff like "newer turbo petrols are decent". No, they are not lol. Reliable, yes, but the economy is not that great. It's not far off the V8s in my experience.

Both F01 and F10 are comfortable, and you will be impressed by that coming from an E60. I had a 523i, and it was most certainly not comfortable.

Mine does not have the air suspension in the rear, so just regular springs all around, and it's really comfortable but also surprisingly engaging to drive. The drive modes really change the charater of the car (if still functional, of course). I don't remember much about cabin noise in the F10, but the F01 is insulated well enough, but it's not incredible. My 2013 Touareg is quieter inside. For reliability, I would first of all urge you to go to Germany and buy a German edition. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME! The German editions are the best ones you can get, and do not let anyone tell you otherwise. I am not going to start complaining here, but mine was bullet proof before hitting 300k km and 13 years of age (09MY). After that, well, let's just say it would have been a good choice to buy another F01 to just keep for parts. But nothing specific to the 7, just the usual stuff. I would not expect to see any difference with a 5 series with the same engine.

The sound system is FANTASTIC. I have the standard sound system, and I find it just as good as the H&K system on my G11. It's great, it's truly a great sound system even as standard. I recommend it strongly. The F10 is also good enough, but not even close.

The LCI, as far as I know, comes standard with air suspension in the rear (please research further, I am not certain). Do what you want with this information, but that's a can of worms I'm not opening. My experiences with BMW air suspension are not positive. Speaking as someone who did off road races in a Touareg with air suspension, with jumps included.
I do not think the LCI is worth it, but I don't expect you to find many pre LCI examples in good shape. At least it gets the 8 speed, which is a big improvement.

I can not speak for DIY, as my skills would put the streets in grave danger.

I would always go for a Diesel. A 730 is plenty fast enough. Just don't buy fuel from truckers and your DPF and injectors will be good. Premium fuel every other fill-up.

TL;DR get a 7 and love it as much as I do.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 11:32 PM   #3
7'er-addict
Sporty Shorty
Rep
Drives: BMW E38 740i, BMW F01 750i.

As above..

In terms of servicing costs the F10 and F01 share much of their parts. Aside from the obvious, body panels, headlights, much of the parts costs are the same. For example control arms and brakes, they're the same between both cars.
04' LR-D2 12' LR-RRSC 16' LR-RRSC
Appreciate 0