BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-28-2014, 03:07 PM   #1
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Post Tesla sales forecast cut by 40%

Via CNN Money:

Tesla sales forecast cut by 40%

Adam Jonas, auto analyst with Morgan Stanley -- and long a bull on Tesla -- published a note Wednesday forecasting that Tesla will only be able to sell just under 300,000 cars by 2020. That's far short of the 500,000 cars that Tesla is predicting it will sell by that date.
      12-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Crap cars, only worth buying if you can get something for owning one, like in Norway, they aren't well suited for this country but they sell well because you don't pay for road tax, tolls, ferry's, tunnels, and no sales tax. Makes it a pretty powerful incentive to buy one despite it large shortcomings.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

What shortcomings are you talking about? Who doesn't want to own a 100% electric car that goes nearly 300 miles on a single charge.

They are expensive but they perform better than some cars in that price range and better than some that cost more.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 04:29 PM   #4
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
Crap cars, only worth buying if you can get something for owning one, like in Norway, they aren't well suited for this country but they sell well because you don't pay for road tax, tolls, ferry's, tunnels, and no sales tax. Makes it a pretty powerful incentive to buy one despite it large shortcomings.
Anyone calling the Tesla a "crap" car hasn't driven one yet. There's no point in trying to convince those by telling them. It only starts making sense once you actually drive one. Then believe you me you'll become one of Tesla's biggest advocates. I went from being a big hater/ disbeliever to very vocal fan after driving one.

www.teslamotors.com/events
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #5
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375
Who doesn't want to own a 100% electric car that goes nearly 300 miles on a single charge?
Even if I could charge an electric car; I wouldn't buy one without it being priced substantially below its conventional competition.
      12-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #6
MikeyV
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
Anyone calling the Tesla a "crap" car hasn't driven one yet. There's no point in trying to convince those by telling them. It only starts making sense once you actually drive one. Then believe you me you'll become one of Tesla's biggest advocates. I went from being a big hater/ disbeliever to very vocal fan after driving one.

www.teslamotors.com/events
I have drive several, none impressed me, nasty cheap interior, poor panel fit, quality not anywhere near the asking price, so the acceleration is rapid, but the cornering is so so and as a vehicle to use in winter it's somewhat lacking, and you can't tow a trailer. I do not believe electric vehicles are the future of motoring, they will have their place but they will not take over.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 05:43 PM   #7
MikeyV
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
What shortcomings are you talking about? Who doesn't want to own a 100% electric car that goes nearly 300 miles on a single charge.
300 miles in ideal conditions, lightly loaded and keeping to a pretty slow pace, I very much doubt you could get anywhere near that on a motorway driving at motorway speeds.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #8
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Even if I could charge an electric car; I wouldn't buy one without it being priced substantially below its conventional competition.
And what is the competition that is equal to what Tesla has done? The Leaf? Tell me what other 100% electric car is on the market right now that can get at least 200 miles on a single charge, not even the nearly 300 that the Tesla can.

Tesla is suppose to make a $30k car that has the same 300 mile range and if they do, that'll be a major game changer. The other manufacturers want Tesla out of business and are working with the oil companies to make sure this happens. Why do you think there is so many restrictions on Tesla right now? No dealerships, limited amount of sales per month, etc.

They are jealous that Tesla has made a 100% electric car with the range and sophistication it has compared to their "hybrids" and electric cars. If I had the money, I would buy one since there is a charging station not that far away from my home.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 05:56 PM   #9
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
I have drive several, none impressed me, nasty cheap interior, poor panel fit, quality not anywhere near the asking price, so the acceleration is rapid, but the cornering is so so and as a vehicle to use in winter it's somewhat lacking, and you can't tow a trailer. I do not believe electric vehicles are the future of motoring, they will have their place but they will not take over.
Do you like the i8? What cars do you like out of curiosity? I'm really shocked that you feel so negatively about the Tesla after experiencing it. Your view isn't in line with the consensus. I full heartedly agree with Motortrend that it deserved to win car of the year. Forget that it's an electric car it's just a great car in any respect.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 06:50 PM   #10
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Tesla = Crap

/End.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 08:24 PM   #11
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV
Quote:
300 miles in ideal conditions, lightly loaded and keeping to a pretty slow pace, I very much doubt you could get anywhere near that on a motorway driving at motorway speeds.
My gasoline powered car goes into reserve with 50 miles of range remaining, and I can fuel up in just a few minutes at millions of locations. Imagine the reserve I need to allow with the charging situation of an electric car! Real-world range is even smaller.
      12-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #12
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
And what is the competition that is equal to what Tesla has done? The Leaf? Tell me what other 100% electric car is on the market right now that can get at least 200 miles on a single charge, not even the nearly 300 that the Tesla can.

Tesla is suppose to make a $30k car that has the same 300 mile range and if they do, that'll be a major game changer.
Did you miss the word "conventional," or not understand the term "conventional competition?"
It is also odd to see you quote the alleged $30k Tesla when the linked article mentions the vehicle projected to be priced more like $60k.
      12-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #13
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC
Via CNN Money:

Tesla sales forecast cut by 40%

Adam Jonas, auto analyst with Morgan Stanley -- and long a bull on Tesla -- published a note Wednesday forecasting that Tesla will only be able to sell just under 300,000 cars by 2020. That's far short of the 500,000 cars that Tesla is predicting it will sell by that date.
These are the folks that were predicting real estate boom and bull markets in '08!?

Son, use your brain if you can.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 09:25 PM   #14
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

This news is incredibly bullish. When Tesla winds up selling 301k cars, they will claim that they beat estimates and the algos will go wild, pushing the stock up 25% instantly. It's the "new normal" trick, just keep revising your expectations downward so that anything is considered a "beat". Then, when the algos go wild and buy up the company's stock with fake central bank "printed" money, Musk can then buy back his company's stock. Thus, paying himself and the other 0.1%rs in his company massive bonuses while not reinvesting the capital in the company and screwing over his workers, forcing them to work at stagnant/falling wages while inflation rages around them. Success Mr. Bernake/Yellen!!

It all works until it doesn't. Bring on the crash please.

Last edited by NickyC; 12-28-2014 at 09:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 09:40 AM   #15
MikeyV
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
Do you like the i8? What cars do you like out of curiosity? I'm really shocked that you feel so negatively about the Tesla after experiencing it. Your view isn't in line with the consensus. I full heartedly agree with Motortrend that it deserved to win car of the year. Forget that it's an electric car it's just a great car in any respect.
I don't like the i8, it's one of the ugliest cars on the road, right up there with the Aztec, I do like the i3, there are a lot of them where I live.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 09:43 AM   #16
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Crap cars
That's funny, you drive an A1.

Quote:
I do like the i3
You have now lost all credibility as far as cars are concerned.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #17
MikeyV
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Why do you think there is so many restrictions on Tesla right now? No dealerships, limited amount of sales per month, etc.
What restrictions, its Tesla themselves who want to bust the dealership sales model, as for the limited sales that's down to price more then anything else. It's not a cheap car, it has many drawbacks, it can't 100% replace a conventional vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 09:52 AM   #18
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What restrictions, its Tesla themselves who want to bust the dealership sales model, as for the limited sales that's down to price more then anything else. It's not a cheap car, it has many drawbacks, it can't 100% replace a conventional vehicle.
Since when did anyone say they can 100% replace a conventional ICE vehicle?

I see a ton of these around here and they're for high income individuals who can afford a Tesla as well as another car for longer road trips. Much of this cut in demand could be due to changes in assumptions with regards to oil prices. No one ever expected gas to drop as low as it has due to the Saudi's flooding the market.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 09:56 AM   #19
MikeyV
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
That's funny, you drive an A1.

You have now lost all credibility as far as cars are concerned.
And I love my A1, best supermini on the market.

As an electric car for purely commuting from home to work the i3 is all most people need.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 10:06 AM   #20
MikeyV
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Since when did anyone say they can 100% replace a conventional ICE vehicle?

I see a ton of these around here and they're for high income individuals who can afford a Tesla as well as another car for longer road trips. Much of this cut in demand could be due to changes in assumptions with regards to oil prices. No one ever expected gas to drop as low as it has due to the Saudi's flooding the market.
Because where I live a Tesla is a family car which at least 50% of households could easily afford to purchase and run. In Norway people are replacing there family saloons and wagons with them, I know a number of people who have bought them, most have sold them on pretty quick as they just don't work well when you have to live with them day in day out.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 10:11 AM   #21
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Because where I live a Tesla is a family car which at least 50% of households could easily afford to purchase and run. In Norway people are replacing there family saloons and wagons with them, I know a number of people who have bought them, most have sold them on pretty quick as they just don't work well when you have to live with them day in day out.
That's true, but just because it isn't successful in Norway (even though most people there easily have the means to buy one) doesn't mean it's a dud or anything.

Tesla is far more concerned with US and China....much bigger markets.

I'd personally never own one but could understand why others would.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #22
MikeyV
Captain
Rep

Strangely enough Norway is Tesla's largest export market. Despite what I have said above (I live in a rural area) in a city like Oslo it works within it's limitations, especially since you can use buslanes with them.
Appreciate 0