BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-23-2016, 09:45 AM   #23
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 991GT3 View Post
I have no idea what show all of you were watching but the Grand Tour I saw was stale and humorless. The whole thing was wooden.
And testing the three hypercars is a year behind the times.
I hope its better next episode. They need Chris Harris.
Yes !
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 11:29 AM   #24
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Quote:
I have no idea what show all of you were watching but the Grand Tour I saw was stale and humorless. The whole thing was wooden.
And testing the three hypercars is a year behind the times.
I hope its better next episode. They need Chris Harris.
Maybe you're not a Top Gear fan, then. The hyper car test has been over a year in be making. It is a huge deal. They have been wanting to test all three cars together for ages and hadn't been able to. It is perfect that on their first episode they finally got to do this.

And unless Porsche/Ferrari/Mclaren have a secret super car I don't know about, I'm not sure how this was "so last year "
      11-23-2016, 11:56 AM   #25
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyasaxa View Post
Maybe you're not a Top Gear fan, then. The hyper car test has been over a year in be making. It is a huge deal. They have been wanting to test all three cars together for ages and hadn't been able to. It is perfect that on their first episode they finally got to do this.

And unless Porsche/Ferrari/Mclaren have a secret super car I don't know about, I'm not sure how this was "so last year "
991GT3 is likely a YouTube/blog/webisode enthusiast (i.e. I want my hypercar comparo NOW, dammit!) with a different sense of humor than the tens of millions who enjoy Clarkson & Co. Nothing wrong with either.

Not everybody 'gets' this in the same way that not everybody gets, say, Monty Python -- also humor largely based on stereotype, but far more dry and culturally deep.

As for Chris Harris ... great practical reviewer, but not a good fit. What Tanner Foust is to Ken Burns, Chris Harris is to Kathryn Bigelow (with maybe a dash of Alex Gibney).
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 12:15 PM   #26
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
991GT3 is likely a YouTube/blog/webisode enthusiast (i.e. I want my hypercar comparo NOW, dammit!) with a different sense of humor than the tens of millions who enjoy Clarkson & Co. Nothing wrong with either.

Not everybody 'gets' this in the same way that not everybody gets, say, Monty Python -- also humor largely based on stereotype, but far more dry and culturally deep.

As for Chris Harris ... great practical reviewer, but not a good fit. What Tanner Foust is to Ken Burns, Chris Harris is to Kathryn Bigelow (with maybe a dash of Alex Gibney).
Exactly, i have a few friends that just don't like the three blokes humor. They watch the show for the cars and take the show in...in a different manor. They treat the show a lot more seriously. This isn't a car review show, it is a comedy. I introduced this show to my family, they couldn't care less about cars and didn't miss an episode of the old Top Gear. I could watch Clarkson, May, Hammond commentate paint drying, I just find them hilarious. People have different senses of humor. For the life of me, I still don't get how a show like "Two and a Half Men" got the ratings it did. But apparently 15+mill found that show funny.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      11-23-2016, 01:17 PM   #27
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

It's weird in that when I watched TopGear or GrandTour or Chris Harris or Mat Farah or MotorTrend or Harry's Garage I'm sitting there waiting for a crescendo but it never happens and a day later I can't even visualize or remember anything worthwhile.
But Jay Leno's Garage usually makes me smile and I learn stuff that just kind of sticks in my head.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 02:27 PM   #28
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post

There's nothing to "get". I understand their humor perfectly well. Their shtick
was tired and too long(eg dead celebrities and fighting Americans).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyasaxa View Post

Huh?
I liked them when they did Top Gear. This seems really forced.

And the hypercar test has been done repeatedly over the last year. It really isn't a big deal anymore.

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 02:41 PM   #29
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
There's nothing to "get". I understand their humor perfectly well. Their shtick
was tired and too long(eg dead celebrities and fighting Americans).
For you, I agree, and good on yer. I found it refreshing, like plopping down in a comfy well-work leather club chair following a long hiatus, that I'd missed.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2016, 03:54 PM   #30
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Clarkson and crew make a show that happens to have cars in it - it's not a show about cars. They can make a show about anything (and they have) and it's fun to watch. That's why they appeal to a larger audience.

But for serious reviews, I like Chris Harris, Evo magazine, even the Fifth Gear crew.
      11-23-2016, 04:10 PM   #31
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

Lol, been watching top gear for years and the grand tour ep1 was stale, lame, forced and weak. Here's hoping they find their groove again.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2016, 01:30 PM   #32
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
It was "ok". It didn't stink and it wasn't great. That's probably damning with faint praise. I would have been much happier if they rid the show of all the fat and trappings that got glommed on it. I'm hoping a lot of that was just for show #1 where they felt they had to address the end of Top Gear by killing celebrities and such. The best moments on Top Gear were always those with just the three of them dealing with cars in the world issues. Those could have been super cars or used junkers, but stick them in cars they love or hate and let them get on with trying to get somewhere. They could have/should have done that with the three hypercars, but they were pretty well pushed around by Ferrari which made the whole bit pretty weak and disappointing. Let's hope show #2 is better.
      11-25-2016, 06:24 PM   #33
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Episode 2 was a bit overplayed. If this trend continues it'll be a pretty short-lived overhyped series.
      11-25-2016, 08:29 PM   #34
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Yes, it's beginning to look like some hugely over-inflated egos went about thinking they can just do whatever they want and everyone will applaud. How many times has that happened in the history of show-biz?
      11-26-2016, 01:20 AM   #35
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

Dat Aston Martin Vulcan tho..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 03:13 AM   #36
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Haven't watched it yet but expected reviews to be 10/10. GT is essentially a continuation of old Top Gear. How could it ever have a chance of being any less than spectacular?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 07:27 AM   #37
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Just noticed that GT is the reverse of TG. I enjoyed the first episode but the second didn't quite jive well. I hate the stereotypical white trash nascar driver bits and wished they brought in someone that could contribute to the experience more like Randy Pobst ORRRRR...just not talk at all like the Stig (pure genius). Oh well, still better than the current TG. BBC really dropped the ball on this one and CH is the only dude worth watching. Joey Tribbiani ain't that funny anymore when he tries to act smart.

I just hope that GT can replicate what they did for the specials on TG.
Appreciate 1
hoyasaxa686.50