BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

04-25-2024, 11:56 PM   #1
Psych0kNoT
Registered
Rep
Drives: Toyota Rav4

740i v 760i v M70 Options

First time posting here;

Looking to get my first BMW for my business, and I was sold on the refreshed 7 series as soon as I first saw it. Ideally, I'd like to have it fully optioned (24 or 25MY, depending on when I order it), minus maybe the theater system. I've been lurking on these forums for a bit and it seems that owners with the screen say for the most part its a gimmick/better in theory than practice. I don't really care enough for performance to go for the M70, but it seems (from my research) that some options are exclusive to it (like the two tone and illuminated blacked out grille). Aside from performance, can I spec out a 740 or 760 exactly as I could an M70, or are there options that are available exclusively to the M70. I think for my needs, the the 740 would be enough, and I might just want to go with the 760 for the V8, but I wanted to check with you guys who know much much more than I do about these things. And if anyone with the theater screen has any input on what I'd mentioned please feel free to drop it below. Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 01:23 AM   #2
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych0kNoT View Post
First time posting here;

Looking to get my first BMW for my business, and I was sold on the refreshed 7 series as soon as I first saw it. Ideally, I'd like to have it fully optioned (24 or 25MY, depending on when I order it), minus maybe the theater system. I've been lurking on these forums for a bit and it seems that owners with the screen say for the most part its a gimmick/better in theory than practice. I don't really care enough for performance to go for the M70, but it seems (from my research) that some options are exclusive to it (like the two tone and illuminated blacked out grille). Aside from performance, can I spec out a 740 or 760 exactly as I could an M70, or are there options that are available exclusively to the M70. I think for my needs, the the 740 would be enough, and I might just want to go with the 760 for the V8, but I wanted to check with you guys who know much much more than I do about these things. And if anyone with the theater screen has any input on what I'd mentioned please feel free to drop it below. Much appreciated!
Hello and welcome to the BMW Fam - Bam!
B = est
M = achine
in the
W = orld

Ok - so I'm going to make things easy for you and so please follow my thought process:

1. Gasoline (740i vs 760i) or Electric (M70)
- Unless you have a place to reliably charge the vehicle (i.e., your garage or driveway to your private residence or an assigned spot with access to a charger), I would skip electric and go gasoline - why? I live in an apartment/condo and so I don't have a place to reliably charge the car and I don't have the time/energy/patience to deal with charging the car - it takes MAX 5 - 10 minutes to put gas in my car and be on my way
NOTE: A lot of people fail to realize that BMW offers a Plug in Hybrid version of the 7 called the 750e - "e" means the car can run on gasoline (solo), electric (solo) or both - major perk is NO RANGE ANXIETY

2. The i7 - M70 is ridiculously overpriced in my opinion
- The price between the i7 - M70 and the i7 - xDrive60 is ~$40,000 and the M70 is 1.0s faster than the xDrive60, with 0-60 being 3.5s and 4.5s respectively
- No shade or judgement for either model, but I would go with an xDrive60 and call it a day

Name:  Screenshot 2024-04-25 230725.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  114.7 KB

3. Equipment/options/packages for ALL the MY24 7's
- Besides some standard equipment being shuffled between the 7's, all of them can be equipped (more or less) with the same options/features
(e.g., The Panoramic Sky Lounge LED roof is STANDARD on the 760i, i7 - xDrive60, and i7 - M70, but is OPTIONAL on the 740i, 750e, and i7 - eDrive50)
(e.g., "Extended Merino Leather" is STANDARD on ALL models (excl. 740i's - its optional for the 740i's) )

- The other difference I see between the models is the "Rear Executive Lounge Seating" Package is only offered on the i7 - xDrive60, i7 - M70, and 760i and is not available on the other 7 models. The "Rear Executive Lounge Seating" Package is basically the TV + Recline right rear seat and footrest
- The TV (by itself) can be had on ALL models
- Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System is available on ALL models

I would suggest looking at the pricing guides for MY24 or playing with BMW's Build Your Own

4 My Thoughts and experience with the TV (my uncle has a M70 with the Theatre screen)
- If your tall, I would suggest test driving the car with the TV down and see if your comfortable - the TV will NOT come down if the front seats are positioned too far back. I would suggest having the TV come down and then adjusting your seat
- The TV primarily relies on the Personal eSIM 5G being activated to stream movies and stuff. If your cell phone plan (AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon) is a BUSINESS plan, then your Personal eSIM cannot be activated, rendering the TV more or less useless
- You can use an HDMI cord to screen mirror your mobile device on to the TV, but (iPhone user here) when I tried watching my favorite movie "Artificial Intelligence -A.I." (2001) that was downloaded on my phone via Apple TV, all I got was a black screen with audio and the video playing on my phone
NOTE: This seems to be an Apple --> HDMI issue, because I experience the same thing when using one of the TV's in my home
- Interestingly enough, you can FaceTime (or video chat) with someone using a laptop that is connected to the TV (Yes the TV has a webcam)
- The TV blocks out a good chunk of the Panoramic Sky Lounge LED Roof
- When the TV is down, you lose the ability to see out your rear view interior mirror and no the mirror is NOT electronic and there are no alternatives
(i.e., some cars can have their rear view mirror turn into a live camera in the rear.... but not BMW.... like did they not drive the car with the TV down??)

5. Closing thoughts + what I would get on my 7
- To be honest, there are only THREE things that I want in my 7, with TWO of them conveniently bundled in the Executive Package
1. Automatic Doors -- MY FAVORITE FEATURE!!!!!! Fun Fact: You can tell BMW via voice command to open/close all doors!!!!!!!
2. Crystal Headlights -- I think this looks DROP DEAD GORGEOUS on a 7 wearing Carbon Black Metallic
3. Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System - The upgraded Bowers gives you sound profiles and a "4D experience" and extended surround sound speakers in the headrest

Color: Carbon Black Metallic

And that's it.... my 7 would be pretty basic lmao!

Below is a few screenshots of what my 7 would look like if I were to order one and you'll notice the options/packages are more or less the same, regardless of model!

As mentioned above, my favorite feature is them AUTOMATIC DOORS and if I can get a butt-naked 7 with just that one option? I'd be happy

Name:  Screenshot 2024-04-25 221642 - 760i.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  105.8 KB

Name:  Screenshot 2024-04-25 221525 - M70.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  105.7 KB

Name:  Screenshot 2024-04-25 221609.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  100.1 KB

That said, I like the 7 overall, but I would get a gasoline 7 (likely a 760i) and call it a day.
NOTE: BMW locks their V8 engines (The 60i models) until the car has ~ 300 miles on it and this is to protect the engine. As a result, FULL power and torque will NOT be available until after the break-in period - please keep this in mind if you test drive a 760i

That said, below I will also leave a link to two of my favorite car reviewers who review the 7, with one of them demonstrating the TV

1. Doug Demuro
LINK:

2. Steve Hammes
LINK:

That said, please let me (us) know if you have any other questions and I hope all this information will benefit you! haha

Cameron
Appreciate 2
      04-26-2024, 10:24 AM   #3
Laguna Beach
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i7 M60 Sport Pro

Make sure the autobahn package is available down the entire line of choices. It wasn’t before and was only available on the M70. Non negotiable option in my eyes. Super bummed mine didn’t have it for supply chain issues. Keeps car level in turns and handles much better apparently. Active Roll bar stabilization.

I have no kids but have the tv for the fun factor alone with new passengers seeing it but other than that it’s an expense that probably can be passed on. It’s still freaking cool though. Auto doors are a must especially when they get a software upgrade to open upon walk up automatically. B&W also an important upgrade. Sounds sublime. Nice upgrade from a RAV4 btw. You’re gonna be blown away!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 06:39 AM   #4
Ice4life
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 740xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam330i View Post
Hello and welcome to the BMW Fam - Bam!
B = est
M = achine
in the
W = orld

Ok - so I'm going to make things easy for you and so please follow my thought process:

1. Gasoline (740i vs 760i) or Electric (M70)
- Unless you have a place to reliably charge the vehicle (i.e., your garage or driveway to your private residence or an assigned spot with access to a charger), I would skip electric and go gasoline - why? I live in an apartment/condo and so I don't have a place to reliably charge the car and I don't have the time/energy/patience to deal with charging the car - it takes MAX 5 - 10 minutes to put gas in my car and be on my way
NOTE: A lot of people fail to realize that BMW offers a Plug in Hybrid version of the 7 called the 750e - "e" means the car can run on gasoline (solo), electric (solo) or both - major perk is NO RANGE ANXIETY

2. The i7 - M70 is ridiculously overpriced in my opinion
- The price between the i7 - M70 and the i7 - xDrive60 is ~$40,000 and the M70 is 1.0s faster than the xDrive60, with 0-60 being 3.5s and 4.5s respectively
- No shade or judgement for either model, but I would go with an xDrive60 and call it a day

Attachment 3443346

3. Equipment/options/packages for ALL the MY24 7's
- Besides some standard equipment being shuffled between the 7's, all of them can be equipped (more or less) with the same options/features
(e.g., The Panoramic Sky Lounge LED roof is STANDARD on the 760i, i7 - xDrive60, and i7 - M70, but is OPTIONAL on the 740i, 750e, and i7 - eDrive50)
(e.g., "Extended Merino Leather" is STANDARD on ALL models (excl. 740i's - its optional for the 740i's) )

- The other difference I see between the models is the "Rear Executive Lounge Seating" Package is only offered on the i7 - xDrive60, i7 - M70, and 760i and is not available on the other 7 models. The "Rear Executive Lounge Seating" Package is basically the TV + Recline right rear seat and footrest
- The TV (by itself) can be had on ALL models
- Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System is available on ALL models

I would suggest looking at the pricing guides for MY24 or playing with BMW's Build Your Own

4 My Thoughts and experience with the TV (my uncle has a M70 with the Theatre screen)
- If your tall, I would suggest test driving the car with the TV down and see if your comfortable - the TV will NOT come down if the front seats are positioned too far back. I would suggest having the TV come down and then adjusting your seat
- The TV primarily relies on the Personal eSIM 5G being activated to stream movies and stuff. If your cell phone plan (AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon) is a BUSINESS plan, then your Personal eSIM cannot be activated, rendering the TV more or less useless
- You can use an HDMI cord to screen mirror your mobile device on to the TV, but (iPhone user here) when I tried watching my favorite movie "Artificial Intelligence -A.I." (2001) that was downloaded on my phone via Apple TV, all I got was a black screen with audio and the video playing on my phone
NOTE: This seems to be an Apple --> HDMI issue, because I experience the same thing when using one of the TV's in my home
- Interestingly enough, you can FaceTime (or video chat) with someone using a laptop that is connected to the TV (Yes the TV has a webcam)
- The TV blocks out a good chunk of the Panoramic Sky Lounge LED Roof
- When the TV is down, you lose the ability to see out your rear view interior mirror and no the mirror is NOT electronic and there are no alternatives
(i.e., some cars can have their rear view mirror turn into a live camera in the rear.... but not BMW.... like did they not drive the car with the TV down??)

5. Closing thoughts + what I would get on my 7
- To be honest, there are only THREE things that I want in my 7, with TWO of them conveniently bundled in the Executive Package
1. Automatic Doors -- MY FAVORITE FEATURE!!!!!! Fun Fact: You can tell BMW via voice command to open/close all doors!!!!!!!
2. Crystal Headlights -- I think this looks DROP DEAD GORGEOUS on a 7 wearing Carbon Black Metallic
3. Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System - The upgraded Bowers gives you sound profiles and a "4D experience" and extended surround sound speakers in the headrest

Color: Carbon Black Metallic

And that's it.... my 7 would be pretty basic lmao!

Below is a few screenshots of what my 7 would look like if I were to order one and you'll notice the options/packages are more or less the same, regardless of model!

As mentioned above, my favorite feature is them AUTOMATIC DOORS and if I can get a butt-naked 7 with just that one option? I'd be happy

Attachment 3443345

Attachment 3443343

Attachment 3443344

That said, I like the 7 overall, but I would get a gasoline 7 (likely a 760i) and call it a day.
NOTE: BMW locks their V8 engines (The 60i models) until the car has ~ 300 miles on it and this is to protect the engine. As a result, FULL power and torque will NOT be available until after the break-in period - please keep this in mind if you test drive a 760i

That said, below I will also leave a link to two of my favorite car reviewers who review the 7, with one of them demonstrating the TV

1. Doug Demuro
LINK:

2. Steve Hammes
LINK:

That said, please let me (us) know if you have any other questions and I hope all this information will benefit you! haha

Cameron
Loved reading this. Great writeup. A few things though, they are switching over to 2025 production now so using the 2024 configurator could be a bit misleading. Also they did offer the power doors as a stand alone very early in 2023 but of course now they're part of executive. And they are not without their problems. Interior buttons fail, the sensors don't work properly and they're pretty heavy to manually close-like a power tailgate on an suv when you manually close it with resistance. Not ideal when it's raining and they're getting soaked. Still a cool feature though (mine is without these)
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004004.00
      04-28-2024, 11:02 AM   #5
Laguna Beach
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ice, is that just yours doing that? I haven’t heard many issues with the doors other than user error, especially with YouTube reviewers that don’t know to get out of the way but I have zero issues with mine and I use them every single time. You are right about the heavy feel manually though. You feel like you’re fighting the motor when you close or push with your hands. Much like closing a motorized tailgate but not as bad. Still, zero issues for me…so far.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 07:25 PM   #6
TheCookieMonster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Garage List
2024 X5 50e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna Beach View Post
Ice, is that just yours doing that? I haven’t heard many issues with the doors other than user error, especially with YouTube reviewers that don’t know to get out of the way but I have zero issues with mine and I use them every single time. You are right about the heavy feel manually though. You feel like you’re fighting the motor when you close or push with your hands. Much like closing a motorized tailgate but not as bad. Still, zero issues for me…so far.
I ordered the auto doors thinking it would swing freely like a regular door if I chose not to use the auto function. Bummer. Should've done more research.

EDIT - Interesting, I just saw a youtube vid where the girl is seemingly opening and closing the door with ease. Can anyone with the automatic door option share their experience? I'm confused. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/JhgtcBQXSJI

Last edited by TheCookieMonster; 04-28-2024 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 01:33 AM   #7
Laguna Beach
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Fighting may have been too harsh. There’s a bit of motor resistance when opening and closing manually. Nothing to make you not Oder them. They’re awesome and a real wow factor to new passengers. I feel very spoiled when I drive my wife’s car and can’t believe I have to reach out far and pull in the door. How pedestrian!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 04:37 AM   #8
rollingtaser
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i7 M70, SL63

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCookieMonster View Post
I ordered the auto doors thinking it would swing freely like a regular door if I chose not to use the auto function. Bummer. Should've done more research.

EDIT - Interesting, I just saw a youtube vid where the girl is seemingly opening and closing the door with ease. Can anyone with the automatic door option share their experience? I'm confused. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/JhgtcBQXSJI
there is added resistance. to close the door, just "throw" it a bit hard and the serve will take over.

if the servo is moving and you interrupt, then there is more resistance.

i have the feature and i wouldn't want to miss it. especially the stop resistance when open no to hit something. i open/close them by hand rarely, driver door never, back sometimes.
Appreciate 1