BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

11-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
750lxi
Rep
Drives: 750Li

BMW wheel and tire insurance denied my claim

i have the bmw wheel and tire insurance policy and never had a problem before (they’ve replaced wheels and tires in the past without problem), but they are denying my claim for rims, stating i need to file an arbitration to ‘appeal’ their determination.

an inspection was done by an adjuster at my tire shop, where the shop even took off each of the rims and put them on a balancing machine to show the adjuster there is ‘hoop / ‘wobble’ to each and the adjustor noted same.

after a few days passed, the shop did not hear back from the insurance company, so they called the company which stated that claim had been denied. i then called the company, which said that managers reviewed the claim and they came to the determination there are no physical tell-tale signs the tires were bent due to road impact. i asked what those signs would be and they just said the claim was denied and i can appeal the decision by filing an arbitration!? i said the tires were tested on a machine and they are obviously bent, they said the machine results don’t matter as some rims sometimes can’t balance anyway!?

any advice is appreciated...

Last edited by 750lxi; 11-01-2013 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
750IXIndividualGuy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 750I Xdrive Individual

Garage List
Here are some of my thoughts. First, you want to create a paper trail, and get them to respond in writing, as phone calls always result in "he said, she said" and or "you misunderstood what I said" I would contact them via certified letter, and ask them in your letter EXACTLY why your claim was denied. Get the specifics of how they determine how a wheel is/isn't damage by road contact. Upon the Adjusters visual inspection/examination, what was his official determination, and why? You need to specifically ask how a wheels they insure are found to be damaged by road impact, and what are the visual signs/indications that must be present or NOT present.

You want to do this BEFORE you file an appeal, so that hopefully they will back themselves into a corner by either saying something incorrectly, or providing you with information/ammunition about their decision that inconsistent, or was completely arbitrary on behalf of the adjuster etc. They may or many not respond, or only respond with the fact you need to file an appeal. It still looks better for you as a customer merely trying to understand why, and that they were not acting in a very diligent way to honor your legitimate claim.

The comment that their rep. said about some balancing of wheels is odd. If a wheel is not able to be balanced, then THAT wheel is bent and/or out-of-round, and this would mean either it was defective originally, or had to happen by an impact.

Also, you might have better luck having your tire/wheel insurance honored if you are at a BMW dealership (not saying it SHOULD work like that, but the dealership can pressure them to honor it to keep their customer happy).

Good Luck!
08 Z4 M Coupe Interlagos Blue Met / Ext Blk Nappa
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
750lxi
Rep

that is great advice, and on your second post! are you an attorney? i will put what you said to use and report back. terrible its come to this, but hope to have good news, and hope arbitration is not a major expense, should it come to that. have a nice weekend!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18’ Q7,16'981 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750lxi View Post
i then called the company, which said that managers reviewed the claim and they came to the determination there are no physical tell-tale signs the tires were bent due to road impact. i asked what those signs would be and they just said the claim was denied and i can appeal the decision by filing an arbitration!? i said the tires were tested on a machine and they are obviously bent, they said the machine results don’t matter as some rims sometimes can’t balance anyway!?
You have got some patience to come back and post this after surviving that.
BTW what wheels are these..the 303M?

750IXIndividualGuy ...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
750lxi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthestck View Post
BTW what wheels are these..the 303M?
yes
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 12:55 AM   #6
750IXIndividualGuy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 750I Xdrive Individual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750lxi View Post
that is great advice, and on your second post! are you an attorney? i will put what you said to use and report back. terrible its come to this, but hope to have good news, and hope arbitration is not a major expense, should it come to that. have a nice weekend!
I hope it does help you. Arbitration is rarely an expensive procedure, as it's main purpose is to provide an option to help prevent/avoid costly litigation.

Remember, like any Insurance type company, their objective is to pay-out as little as they can, YOUR objective is to be just enough of a pain without making it a pissing contest, to get the-powers-at-be to decide in your favor prior to arbitration. Just keep asking to Speak to someone higher up the food chain.

Like I eluded to previously, if I were you, I would take my BMW with my BMW Wheel & Tire Protection Agreement, to a BMW service center, and have them evaluate (reevaluate) your wheels, if they find them to be damaged, then have them file a new claim. Chances are it will be processed and replacements made without an issue, since the Service center knows how to file the claim to make sure it gets approved and they get paid for providing you with new wheels/tires.

Anyway, just some ideas to think about.
08 Z4 M Coupe Interlagos Blue Met / Ext Blk Nappa
Appreciate 0