BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

06-28-2014, 02:35 AM   #1
etc123
Rep
Drives: 2014 750Li

Forward collision warning system: totally useless

I have my forward collision warning system (FCWS) set to "Early" which should give me the earliest warning possible. A few days ago I had to brake vigurously but FCWS gave me no warning. AFTER I braked the system showed a red car in my HUD and instrument console with no attempt to brake for me and avoid a potential accident. There's also no audible warning which is crucial if somebody is distracted away from looking up front. I mean, if I see the red car in the HUD I should be also able to see the car in front of me!

My expectation was for the FCWS to warn me audibly and visibly and automativally brake for me in case there was no action from the driver after the warnings had been issued. Are my expectations incorrect?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

The collision system kicks ass.

I was coming off the ramp looking to my left and the car stopped in front of me.

In any other car, I would have totaled my vehicle.

My 750 applied the brakes. My bumper did touch the other cars bumper but not a scratch!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

The system has 2 phases of warning depending on how close the potential collision is determined to be.

Phase 1 has no audible warning but only hte red car symbol.
Phase 2 has a audible warning

From BMW:
Quote:
The advance warning is represented by the red car symbol in the instrument cluster. In
the event of an advance warning, it lights up constantly. As there is no audible signal, this
visual warning signal is the only signal for the advance warning.

In the event of an acute warning, the car symbol in the instrument cluster begins to flash.
Since an immediate intervention by the driver is required, this visual signal is supplemented
by an audible tone.

The system is not always able to help if someone cuts in front of you.
The system will also not brake for objects that are already standing still when it firsts sees them, only for objects slowing down or moving slowly ahead of you.

These are Bosch systems, not BMW. The current 7 Series system is also quite a few years old now, with newer systems working better.
      08-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: The M's

My cars all have this, it does detect erroneous objects sometimes. I had no idea it could actually stop for you though.

2016 BMW X5 ///M
2016 BMW M4 ///M Convertible

aLatteHotte - www.aLatteHotte.com - The Future of Coffee
Appreciate 0