BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

05-21-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Some Questions

Hello all:

I visited my dealer again (for the millionth time) today and would like to pose a few questions:

1. What does everyone think about the audio system sound quality? I am surprised to see that there is no separate subwoofer adjustment.

2. To ease entry and exit, does the steering wheel articulate up and in upon shutting off the engine? I’m six feet tall and noticed a little difficulty with getting behind the wheel today (right foot caught up by the pedals and right knee hitting the bottom of the steering wheel; all of a sudden I feel that the car is a little skimpy on front legroom)

3. Can the side view mirrors be programmed to fold in upon shutting down and/or locking the car?

4. Is there a central door lock/unlock switch on the interior of the car?

5. Has anyone noticed that the seat adjustments do not always work w/r/t the front portion of the seat bottom: if you want to tilt the front portion up or down, the adjustment adjusts the back portion of the seat bottom up or down and the only way to achieve adjustment of the front portion of the seat bottom is to hold the adjustment up/down at the front portion of the adjustment switch and down/up at the back portion of the adjustment switch.

6. When controlling the passenger seat from the front seat controls, do the memory function buttons work as well?

Sorry to be so cynical here; just some observations. I’m still on track w/ my purchase.

Thanks!

Last edited by dbs600; 05-22-2010 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 11:30 PM   #2
thijs-v-d-H
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 E30

1. Hifi professional is fine with me. It has good quality and you can play music loud without the sound getting bad.

2. The steering will indeed move up and down to ease entry and exit. This only happens when you first open the car, in a showroom someone might adjust the wheel and it will than remain in that position.

3. Yes, you will have to hit the close button twice on your key.

4. Yes, inbetween the central airvents.

5. Havenīt noticed this issue, are you talking about the comfortseats? these are IMO the best seat available in the industry.

6. Yes, just select gentlemen function and hold 1 or 2.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 12:49 AM   #3
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Thanks Thijs!

3. Awesome.

5. To better illustrate, take a look at the attached photo. If you push up or down by the blue arrows, the rear of the seat bottom moves up or down. If you push up or down by the red arrows, the front of the seat bottom does not always move up or down, and the only way to be sure for the seat to move accordingly, you have to push up or down by the red arrows and push in the opposite direction by the blue arrows simultaneously. I've noticed this on multiple 7's throughout my search.

Another question:

7. Does anyone in the US have a rear fog lamp equipped 7? I've noticed that the button is missing on many 7's I've seen, but do see it in the brochure.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 12:21 AM   #4
Jblackbelt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xDrive50i

are you sure about the mirrors being programmed to fold by pressing lock twice on the key? i went to try it and it did not work.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #5
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

I don't recall having seen a programming feature for automatically folding in the rear view mirrors. Believe me I looked... Although I haven't tried the double pressing the close button on the remote. I'll give it a try when I get back into my car later...

I have the latest software in my car (got the car reprogrammed about a week ago), so if there is such a feature, it should be in my car. I'll let you know.

dbs600: are you sure you didn't already reach the highest or lowest possible adjustment point for the front of the seat when you try to adjust it? It may still go higher or lower in conjunction with the back of the seat adjustment but may have already reached its limit if you try to adjust it on it's own!?!

I have never had any issues with the seat adjustment capabilities in my car. I also have the bolsters on the back of the seat set to 'grip' me when I start the engine.

7. Rear fog lights are a requirement in Europe but not in north America, so any US spec BMW will not have a rear fog light switch in the dashboard!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

xDrive:

Do let us know what you find w/r/t the power folding side view mirrors (thanks)!

As far as the seats, yes, I'm sure the seat was not already at its max high / low. I've seen this issue on a number of 7's, not 1 or 2, but more like 4 or 5. Thing is you should not have to 'twist' the switch.

W/r/t rear fogs, earlier today I was told that it's not even possible to special request them in the US. Makes no sense! They are legal in the US, as many Mercedes-Benz and Land Rover models have same!

Btw, how do you set the bolsters to 'grab' you upon engine start? Can this be done yourself or do you have to have the dealer program same?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 05:26 PM   #7
Fastbuck
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F01 740d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblackbelt View Post
are you sure about the mirrors being programmed to fold by pressing lock twice on the key? i went to try it and it did not work.
I hadn't seen it in the owner's manual either, but it works! Press the locking button as normal then press it again but this time hold it down for a few seconds, the mirrors then fold!

Fastbuck
2012 F01 740d M Sport Alpine White Oyster/ Oyster
2013 E84 X1 1.8d M Sport Alpine White Black/ Black
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 11:24 PM   #8
thijs-v-d-H
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblackbelt View Post
Yes, on your remote control. Hit it twice and hold it during the second time. It will close al windows, moonroof and fold the mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 11:30 PM   #9
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Mercedes-Benz and Land Rover offer vehicles in the US equipped with rear fog lamps; I don't see why BMW doesn't! Is there any way to retrofit the F01/02?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

The remote will let you close all the windows and fold the mirrors in when you hold the lock button longer for the second time.

I have tried the seat adjustment buttons in my car and they work perfectly, even the 750 in the showroom. I just came from the dealership as I had them top off the oil in the car and took the opportunity to test the seat adjustments on another car.

The seat bolster position is stored with the memory buttons and in your remote. When you are in the car and adjust the bolsters to 'grab' you as tight as you like it, use the memory buttons (e.g. M1) to save the seat settings, mirror and steering wheel positions. When you turn the engine off, the steering wheel will move to it's highest position and the bolsters will open to the widest angle for easy exit and entry next time you get into the car. You need to use the same remote to start the car again for it to know and setup the car the same way you programmed it earlier. Once you press the start button, the steering wheel will move into the previously programmed lower position and the bolsters will also move back into programmed position.

Just because another manufacturer is offering the rear fog lamps doesn't mean that they are legal in your country/state!

For example, back when some cars had those little whippers on the headlamps, which apparently are illegal in Canada, Volvo and Mercedes Benz imported some models with those whippers. They paid a fee and sold them in the Canadian market. So just because those two manufacturers were offering them, still doesn't make them legal!

Besides what do you really need the rear fog lights for? You got that much fog in your area all the time that you NEED them that badly?!?
The first time I saw the extra button on the dashboard and looked into the function of it, I thought the same thing, why aren't they offering this in Canada? That was until I found out that they are not legal...
If it's not legal, the manufacturer is not able to import that particular feature (e.g. The tinted individual windows, rear fog lights, etc.). Now you could always retrofit it later, but is it really worth the work and money?
Besides, I have found that in really bad weather (e.g. heavy fog, heavy snow fall, etc.) people behind you tend to follow the red lights ahead of them thinking that that's where the road is. Now if you find that it's too bad and you want to pull off the road onto the shoulder, the car following you might just plow right into you. Unless everybody has the rear fog lights and understands the function of it, I wouldn't turn them on...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 11:40 PM   #11
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Thank you for the detailed feedback, but I would prefer that the car not be crippled in any way. I would also have added assurance in heavy fog/rain/snow. Has anyone retrofitted rear fog lamps?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #12
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Thank you for the detailed feedback, but I would prefer that the car not be crippled in any way. I would also have added assurance in heavy fog/rain/snow. Has anyone retrofitted rear fog lamps?
I don't think it's a matter of the car being 'crippled' but rather if it's legal in your state/country!

I can't speak for others, but I don't really 'miss' not having additional rear fog lights on the car
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Not illegal in the US according to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automot...Rear_fog_lamps

Scroll to the area that discuss rear fog lamps.

Note how BMW is omitted from the list!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #14
Gassy
Soporificist
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5- Rhodonite/Aragon

I had a Volvo S80 many years ago that had rear fog lamps, so it's clearly not illegal in the US.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #15
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gassy View Post
I had a Volvo S80 many years ago that had rear fog lamps, so it's clearly not illegal in the US.
I'm not saying that it is illegal to have rear fog lights. I just know that some options do not conform to some local government regulations and hence BMW does not offer them. Why BMW decided to not offer the rear fog lights in North America is something that only BMW can answer.

So you had rear fog lights on your Volvo, did you ever use them???
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #16
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

I have rear fog lamps on both my 1994 S500 and 2000 Range Rover and have used same many times over, weather requiring; also, Mercedes and Land Rover continue to sell vehicles w/ same in the US. It's not a make it or break it thing w/ me, but to the extent that there is a clear area to where the button would be, I feel short changed to not have the capability.

Last edited by dbs600; 06-04-2010 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 02:38 PM   #17
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I totally understand your point of view and believe me I thought the exact same thing when I originally looked at the car and saw pictures of the dashboard with the rear fog light switch and noticed that it's not available on North American models. But it wasn't something I would consider a deal breaker.

I would think that there are far more important or interesting options that BMW offers on the 7 series but are not available for the US market (e.g. rear iDrive controller, 9.2" rear screens vs. 8" screens, in-car internet access, etc...)!
Appreciate 0