BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-13-2015, 08:42 PM   #45
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0cool View Post
I am not an environmentalist at all, so environmental factors are not among my considerations. Really the decision comes down to driving experience and cost numbers. I probably want to test the Tesla again just to make sure it wasn't a one time psychological thing. I ll wait a little bit before doing that. We ll still have a regular car for long trips, and my daily commute is less than 50 miles, so Tesla range will be good with no issues. Both mine and my wife's company garages have multiple EV chargers so I think for at least a couple years (until EVs become more common if at all), we ll have close to 0 fuel expense on the Tesla.

Basically after the first test drive, the biggest change in perception is that I realized that the gearing system in gasoline cars is inherently inefficient and inferior to that of the EV. No amount of engineering can gap that difference. The instant acceleration in a Tesla at almost all daily driving speeds is simply not possible with any gasoline car due to the need for a multi-gear transmission (the only thing that comes close may be PDK, and only if the engine is powerful enough, and you need to have it in an aggressive mode, like sport or sport+; of course, the issue with sport or sport+ mode for me is... rev is too high). This is the reason why I feel that this may be the future of the automobile.

Of course the biggest weakness of the EV is range and charging speed, which may never be resolvable... The 2nd weakness, particularly with Tesla Model S, is the weight. Which is why it can never be a sports car, or be used on track. However in everyday driving speeds, it handles and drives really well.
Practicaly there is no 0 fuel expense, somebody pays for that power that you consume and soon will not be free anymore. As soon as a certain number of vehicles will reach the streets, charges will show up. Even in your workplace, if I will own the company and my energy bill goes up, I will charge you.
Now, since you did your homework (somehow), do you really know what it means to sit on a battery all this period of time?
Did you ever take in consideration other things like EMF, EMR?
There are things that are not disclosed to the public, or they are hidden under the expression "the level do not exceed the guidelines". Be very careful with the guidelines that they feed you. And I am not talking from the amateur point of view.
Just as a thought...

But is your car, your money, your decision.
Not to mention, obviously you are not an environmentalist because only the uneducated one will pretend that is a green vehicle. To build that electric car we polute the environment as we will build several gas vehicles. To recycle that vehicle and that battery takes responsability and dedication, or so far humans are not able to recycle the coca-cola bottles that end up in our oceans forming huge piles of dirt and trap for animals.

Yes, the petrol cars are a shame for humanity, they weight more and consume more to transport waaay less weight (so is the electric though since that electric power is not a free and non polutant energy), but they will still be a choice from many points of view, especialy for an individual that loves freedom from power plugs, interferences, electric and M fields and of course a much much bigger level of control over the vehicle....
Not to mention driving skills and driving fun like drifting and so on will become a rarity. More like the saying "we live in an era with smartphones but dumb people".

As a note at the end, I am not a guy who hates electric cars, nor a guy that will bash you down for looking at one. It is vey good to be open, interested, willing to evolve. While I do appreciate electric cars for their enormous torque and instant speed, I am also aware of the minuses that are coming with them.
I am not a pessimist neither, I am just a well informed optimistic individual.

However, if you like the car, go for it. I am pretty sure that you will have a blast and enjoy it.
I was playing with the ideea for it, however, even financialy does not make sense for me to pay that much for an electric vehicle that needs to really run for a while to bring money back or at least cover the costs.
Secondly, people will be afraid of these vehicles, resale value will be an interesting thing to watch in the future. Plus, you never know, how many times the owner was an individual that never had time, plug the car one hour here, another hour there, or shortened the charging time by half by choosing a higher voltage charging station. Also, never know how the vehicle was used and how much time it spend on a very cold environment, etc. Too many variables, the presumtion of an abused vehicle will always be in buyers mind....
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 09:57 PM   #46
squartus
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
Its heavy, not very good looking has short driving range expensive and in the end of the day produces a bigger carbon footprint than a normal car due to where the power thats being pulled off the grid comes from.

Elec cars are dead end tech, also looks like tesla has been lying pants off to stockholders and company is not doing very well at all. So you may end up with a car thats not even made anymore in a few years.

I have only seen 1 guy driving a tesla and to be honest i busted out laughing at him, just couldnt help it. Many cars to choose from if you dont like hearing ummm any exhaust or engine noise as odd as that is for somone wanting a sports car. But buy anything over a elec car.

4.4L LC stroker/ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft/ARH Headers.. etc
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 01:26 PM   #47
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I drove my friend's P85D last weekend. It's effing ridiculous off the line and overtaking. Probably what a space shuttle feels like lol, so much torque
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #48
neliconcept
Fashion Photographer
Rep
Drives: 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by squartus View Post
Its heavy, not very good looking has short driving range expensive and in the end of the day produces a bigger carbon footprint than a normal car due to where the power thats being pulled off the grid comes from.

Elec cars are dead end tech, also looks like tesla has been lying pants off to stockholders and company is not doing very well at all. So you may end up with a car thats not even made anymore in a few years.

I have only seen 1 guy driving a tesla and to be honest i busted out laughing at him, just couldnt help it. Many cars to choose from if you dont like hearing ummm any exhaust or engine noise as odd as that is for somone wanting a sports car. But buy anything over a elec car.
I do see a bit of them around NJ/NY but yeah I do agree they aren't all that good looking.

The only way these cars take off is if the major manufactuers make them look appealing and affordable.. That's it! And the infrastructure will have to adapt.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 03:04 PM   #49
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Model S Teslas are Malibu Mustangs. I see dozens of them. Last week as I drove past my daughter's school there were 3 in a row.

On the other hand, setting aside the meetup that postdady and I had, I've only seen one other i8 on the road (also excluding the fleet of 6 Georgia-plated i8s that used to pass by my house every day in the Spring). That i8 was identical to mine in color and wheels and passed me in the other direction at my daughter's school on Mulholland Highway.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)

Last edited by MalibuBimmer; 03-14-2015 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 04:08 PM   #50
REV1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Please surrender your M card!

Please surrender your M card immediately and report to the Prius forum asap! Just messing with you

Seriously though I have been hearing some bad things about Teslas lately
Like to get anything fixed it takes weeks and They aren't as bullet proof as everyone thought also.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2015, 07:18 PM   #51
slayer72
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i X Drive

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I test drove an S model P85 when I was shopping, the dealer was shocked to learn there was no governor on the test vehicle because I was triple digits in no time. Very nice interior and technology is top notch, but I could buy 2 M235i's for the price and have money left over, even with the lack of Middle East gas bills.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 05:25 AM   #52
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul View Post
I drove my friend's P85D last weekend. It's effing ridiculous off the line and overtaking. Probably what a space shuttle feels like lol, so much torque
Except for all the noise and vibration.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 06:37 PM   #53
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

the Tesla was fun when my buddy let me try it. The instant torque was something else.

I'm a car enthusiast, but I too want a silent car at times. The Lexus LS might work for you too, OP.

I'm looking forward to the Tesla Model 3 when it comes out in 3 years. In that time I expect all or most 6MT to be gone. One of the last things that keeps me coming back to BMW is the option of a 6MT. When every one is automatic, I'm going electric. there is way less loyalty with out the manual.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2015, 05:40 AM   #54
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by focal View Post
the Tesla was fun when my buddy let me try it. The instant torque was something else.

I'm a car enthusiast, but I too want a silent car at times. The Lexus LS might work for you too, OP.

I'm looking forward to the Tesla Model 3 when it comes out in 3 years. In that time I expect all or most 6MT to be gone. One of the last things that keeps me coming back to BMW is the option of a 6MT. When every one is automatic, I'm going electric. there is way less loyalty with out the manual.
Couldn't agree more. If you are going to lose the third pedal, then instant torque is a good compromise.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 08:48 PM   #55
dmode
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Loved the OPs enthusiasm. I am on my last BMW. I have the X3 and hate it. It has yesterday's tech and features that you may a massive premium for. The iDrive is a joke. Waiting for my lease to end so that I can buy the Model S
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 08:33 AM   #56
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
Loved the OPs enthusiasm. I am on my last BMW. I have the X3 and hate it. It has yesterday's tech and features that you may a massive premium for. The iDrive is a joke. Waiting for my lease to end so that I can buy the Model S
Really? I had an X3 M-Sport loaner when my car was in for scheduled maintenance. I loved it. I found the tech to be just fine...same stuff that's in my car. I didn't see anything dated about it.

Audi and BMW have some of the best tech in their cars IMO. I've played with the Tesla interface, didn't see anything about it that'd make me prefer the tech in that to Audi or BMW.

I'm just speaking general interface and UI, the other things it can do related to self driving and what not are obviously very slick and convenient. I believe the i8 and i3 have many of the same additional tech features (exception being the latest self driving software update Tesla pushed).
Appreciate 0