BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

06-01-2011, 07:13 AM   #1
epr73
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ActiveHybrid7

750 hybrid changes?

So I went to my dealer and they have a 750i hybrid on their lot and I took all the information down. Last night, I was on bmwusa and saw that the base price of the hybrid is significantly cheaper than the one on the lot (97k-102,300k). Im wondering why the new ones are this much cheaper? It seems like the 2011-2012 lease rates vary by 4% (51 for 2011 and 55 for 2012) so it seems cheaper for me to lease a 2012 but apparently the dealer told me 2012 7 hybrid doesnt exist? I am beyond confused with the games bmw are trying to play so can someone explain to me what their intentions are for the future of the 7 hybrid?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

I wrote about this a month or so ago in this forum. I was seriously considering the ActiveHybrid 7 for the combination of performance (455hp) and efficiency (24 MPG HWY). However, when I went to place my order, I noticed a significant drop in the price and options list. I confirmed the following with my dealer:

- The price dropped by several thousand dollars
- Price drop was a result of standard equipment being removed (Driver Assistance pkg and others)
- Only the Luxury Rear Seating and Cold Weather packages are now available (no Driver Assistance Package -- cameras, etc.)
- The car remains a 2011 model

So, I thought long and hard about it and turned my sights on the 740Li for the following reasons:

- I was able to order a 2012 740Li
- Much cheaper in the long run (although that wasn't really one of my original criteria, it's hard to ignore $26K in savings)
- After test driving, the N54 (at 315hp) really goes! The engine (and resulting performance) really impressed me.
- Slightly better MPG than the Hybrid (25 MPG vs. 24 MPG)
- Full run at the options list (everything including the driver's assistance and M-Sport packages). The $26K savings allowed me to tick all (and I mean all) of the options and packages checkboxes and still came out cheaper than the similarly equipped ActiveHybrid 7 <-- and, as I mentioned above, some of the options available for the 740 and 750 are not available for the ActiveHybrid 7 (camera package, integral active steering, etc.)
- 2012 740Li comes with the new full-color HUD (as seen in the new 6-Series). Dealer couldn't confirm whether that HUD was being used in the ActiveHybrid 7 since that car is still being manufactured as a 2011.
- No chunk taken out of the trunk to house batteries.

Picking her up at BMW Welt in September and can't wait!

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
epr73
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBry View Post
I wrote about this a month or so ago in this forum. I was seriously considering the ActiveHybrid 7 for the combination of performance (455hp) and efficiency (24 MPG HWY). However, when I went to place my order, I noticed a significant drop in the price and options list. I confirmed the following with my dealer:

- The price dropped by several thousand dollars
- Price drop was a result of standard equipment being removed (Driver Assistance pkg and others)
- Only the Luxury Rear Seating and Cold Weather packages are now available (no Driver Assistance Package -- cameras, etc.)
- The car remains a 2011 model

So, I thought long and hard about it and turned my sights on the 740Li for the following reasons:

- I was able to order a 2012 740Li
- Much cheaper in the long run (although that wasn't really one of my original criteria, it's hard to ignore $26K in savings)
- After test driving, the N54 (at 315hp) really goes! The engine (and resulting performance) really impressed me.
- Slightly better MPG than the Hybrid (25 MPG vs. 24 MPG)
- Full run at the options list (everything including the driver's assistance and M-Sport packages). The $26K savings allowed me to tick all (and I mean all) of the options and packages checkboxes and still came out cheaper than the similarly equipped ActiveHybrid 7 <-- and, as I mentioned above, some of the options available for the 740 and 750 are not available for the ActiveHybrid 7 (camera package, integral active steering, etc.)
- 2012 740Li comes with the new full-color HUD (as seen in the new 6-Series). Dealer couldn't confirm whether that HUD was being used in the ActiveHybrid 7 since that car is still being manufactured as a 2011.
- No chunk taken out of the trunk to house batteries.

Picking her up at BMW Welt in September and can't wait!
thanks for the response, I wonder why they are taking off so many options from the hybrid? It makes the earlier 2011 models look much more appealing. Maybe a launch edition type thing? I was debating for the 740Li as well, but this dealer has a very very tempting lease quote for a 750i hybrid which is actually cheaper than the 740Li lease quote Also cheaper quoted than a panamera or audi a8 so I am leaning heavily toward picking this up.

It all really depends on how much they offer for my 745Li though, as in this weird car market, an 04 745Li is cheaper than an 04 525i???

So there is no possibility of me ordering the camera package, and heads up display on the 2012? Ill go talk to my dealer today and hopefully I can get some answers and I got the e66 detailed so if all goes well, may be picking this 11 up considering anything newer seem to be duds...?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
epr73
Enlisted Member
Rep

well, took the dive for it today. got it for 15k off msrp and 11 for the trade in which I guess I cant complain. im happy, ill post pics later. though this start stop feature is getting on my nerves... dont think I can turn it off either... anyone know if theres away to disable it?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep

Cool! Would love to see pics. Also, I think the start / stop feature is disabled when you have the transmission in sport mode (rock the shifter to the left).

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
epr73
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Cool! Would love to see pics. Also, I think the start / stop feature is disabled when you have the transmission in sport mode (rock the shifter to the left).

Oh very cool, thanks for the tip. I was getting pissed off when I was halfway in the middle of an intersection and had to wait for the engine to kick back on and gunned it to beat the oncoming car instead of casually driving through...

old love, she will be missed

at the dealership, plus the only front pic I took

and shes home!

such a well crafted and engineered automobile, bmw really outdid themselves. Im glad I took this over the panamera and a8.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 01:40 AM   #7
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep

Funny... Those are the same two options I considered (Panamera and A8). Never considered the S-Class -- styling is just not me. The 7 won hands down. I prefer the interior, materials and options.

I'm envious you're able to enjoy your F02 7 series months before I'll take delivery of mine. Enjoy!

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 06:02 AM   #8
epr73
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Funny... Those are the same two options I considered (Panamera and A8). Never considered the S-Class -- styling is just not me. The 7 won hands down. I prefer the interior, materials and options.

I'm envious you're able to enjoy your F02 7 series months before I'll take delivery of mine. Enjoy!
S class hasnt changed much since 06 and its it has the stigma of attracting an older age group. I honestly considered waiting for another month for the new cls63 amgs to start being delivered to dealerships. I absolutely love the new look of the cls. I would most definitely take the 2012 cls amg over the f10 m5.

The A8 is a technological masterpiece. Wifi built into the car with that cool swing out screen and the mmi touch interface is superb in finding music, phone book, navigation. Plus the shiatsu like massaging seats are the most intense and intricate ive seen/felt in a car and would be relaxing on long trips. The seats alone nearly sold me on the A8. The car is a little too bling for my tastes though, I find those led strips and headlights to be a bit flashy... plus audis warranty program is awful and if those 2k headlights went out, Id have a really bad day vs bmw who replaced both headlight housings, ballasts and bulbs on my e66 for condensation for free...

The panamera has a beautiful interior and I love that transmission, but I found it the ugliest of the bunch even though the one I was looking at had the 911 turbo 2 wheels which made it look infinitely better than the base version. But in my head, my only rational for wanting the car was for the badge.

In the end, the 7 won me over. best performance, best looking, better tech than the porsche but slightly off from the audi. It looks majestic but doesnt try to, it just knows it is. Though I am considering removing those c-pillar activehybrid badges or get them redone in the sapphire metallic black so it blends in.
I really dislike the way new hybrids have to promote their hybridness in such a smug way. Like how the escalade/tahoe puts hybrid in giant letter along the bottom of the doors. its not an attractive feature for me and that was probably my biggest gripe about the car. That and the fact that I lose the cubby drawers from the e66, which im not sure why they got rid of them, so much less room to dump clutter.

Im sure you will love your 7 when you get it, itll be worth the wait. Considering you got it fully loaded, you'll get to enjoy the full amenities of what the 7 has to offer which will be an abyss of luxury. I wish my car came with the full color hud display, but eh.. cant have my cake and eat it too.
Appreciate 0