BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

03-19-2010, 11:56 PM   #1
MARKI3018
Registered
Rep
Drives: 750i

Thumbs down Day time runing lights

Please help I'm from canada and I just purchased 750i from USA . I have to convert it to day time running lights .Anybody can tell me if i have to replace the complete instrument cluster or I can reprogram something or change any module. I just want to know before I will take it to my mechanic Best to all you guys
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Well, unless you go by mph rather than km/h, you will have to replace the instrument cluster as the numbers shown around the instrument cluster are in mph in US models. If you have HUD, you can switch the HUD display from mph into km/h (at least that's the case in Canadian models, I'm not sure if the US models let you do that too).

In regards to the daytime running lights, I believe that can easily be fixed with some programming (you will need to bring the car to a BMW dealership to get that done).

Also, they may ask you to get some of the exhaust system replaced as the Canadian emissions standards are different from the US standards!

Just out of curiosity, did you looked into all of the differences and what is involved in getting a US car modified/changed to make it comply with the Canadian highway safety traffic act and emissions standards BEFORE you decided to buy a car south of the border?!?
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

I hope you did your research before you did what you did. (Unfortunately, seems like you didn't). I was thinking of bringing a 135i into Canada this way a few months ago, and my dad almost pulled the trigger on a US X5 a while back. But after looking into all the work required, we backed off both times.

One thing that has changed since then is that Canadian buying a US car no longer need to make sure the bumper spec is okay.

Another note before you read any further: All of this info is at least 6 months old. Newer information may have been released that does not require all the modifications, or the F01 may be an exception to some rules.

But, you still need to replace the instrument cluster, and it is a must. In order to insure the car in Canada, and get the plate, you have to have BMW Canada issue a recall letter, stating that no recalls are active on this car, and a letter of compliance, stating that the car is compliant with Canadian standards. Each of these letters costs $500.

I hadn't heard of the exhaust system xDrive mentioned, so you'll definitely want to look into that.

In order to get the compliance letter, you need the following done:

- DRL (daytime running lights): All recent BMWs have this, but if you have the option of somehow turning it off on your 750, then a BMW dealership needs to change the software so that you cannot turn it off.
- Instrument cluster: I realize US cars all have MPH and KM/H on the cluster, but Canadian BMWs have KM/H only. BMW Canada and Transport Canada require that you have either only km/h, or that km/h is the large one, and MPH the small one. On a X5, I was quoted "roughly $2,000" to change the instrument cluster. It may be more for the F01 with its fancy cluster.

Hope that helps, and keep us posted on what happens.
Appreciate 0