BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

02-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
Gassy
Soporificist
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5- Rhodonite/Aragon

Help needed to get USB flash drive to work

After reading comments on another board about how a 64 GB USB 2.0 flash drive was useable as a music source in the USB port in the center console, I bought one, copied a bunch of MP3s to it, and now my car's computer cannot read it. The same process will work with a 4 GB drive. Has anyone had success with this size flash drive, and if so, what suggestions might you have to make it work?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 12:15 AM   #2
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

I am using a 64GB USB stick since the day I got my 750 (June 2009)!

You need to make sure the file system on the USB memory stick is compatible with your car!

If memory serves me right, you need to format the USB memory stick with a FAT32 file system. If the stick is currently formatted in NTFS, it will most likely not work in your car but your computer would have no problems reading it!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 05:37 AM   #3
Gassy
Soporificist
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5- Rhodonite/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
I am using a 64GB USB stick since the day I got my 750 (June 2009)!

You need to make sure the file system on the USB memory stick is compatible with your car!

If memory serves me right, you need to format the USB memory stick with a FAT32 file system. If the stick is currently formatted in NTFS, it will most likely not work in your car but your computer would have no problems reading it!
Thanks for your help. When I go to format this flash drive th eonly options available are exFAT (default) and NTFS. I chose the former and perhaps that's my problem. Do you know of a way to force it to format with FAT32?
Appreciate 0