BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

12-01-2015, 06:31 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Run Flat to Conventional Tire Difficulty at Dealer

Anyone ever have difficulty with your dealer when going from run flats to conventional tires?

Service advisor states not able to install conventional tires because car came with run flats. Parts department, however, states able to obtain and sell any tire that fits.

I'm trying to get wheel and tire insurance to replace bubbled run flats with conventional tires, but if I can’t get same now, I'll go through Tire Rack when wheel and tire insurance ends in a month.

Guess I'm wondering if there's any specific rule (BMW's own or otherwise) against dealers installing conventional tires on cars that came with run flats?

Thanks!

Last edited by dbs600; 12-01-2015 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 02:58 AM   #2
Somerset Jim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 LCI DCT & F01 730d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600
Anyone ever have difficulty with your dealer when going from run flats to conventional tires?

Service advisor states not able to install conventional tires because car came with run flats. Parts department, however, states able to obtain and sell any tire that fits.

I'm trying to get wheel and tire insurance to replace bubbled run flats with conventional tires, but if I can’t get same now, I'll go through Tire Rack when wheel and tire insurance ends in a month.

Guess I'm wondering if there's any specific rule (BMW's own or otherwise) against dealers installing conventional tires on cars that came with run flats?

Thanks!
I don't know of any rule but I would imagine that they would shy away from fitting 'non standard' tyres.

I actively seek to change the tyres to non run flats given that the comfort is much better and the handling is not much worse.

The decision to move was made when I had a tyre delaminate on the motorway at 65mph and because there were lots of loose parts to the wheel if I drove any further then it would destroy or damage the surrounding areas of the car! I couldn't drive any further on the tyre for obvious reasons which brought me to look at non run flats.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #3
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerset Jim View Post
I don't know of any rule but I would imagine that they would shy away from fitting 'non standard' tyres.

I actively seek to change the tyres to non run flats given that the comfort is much better and the handling is not much worse.

The decision to move was made when I had a tyre delaminate on the motorway at 65mph and because there were lots of loose parts to the wheel if I drove any further then it would destroy or damage the surrounding areas of the car! I couldn't drive any further on the tyre for obvious reasons which brought me to look at non run flats.
True; thank you for your reply.

Run flats are so bad, I hope they allow the switch.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 02:54 PM   #4
pass427
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F01 and F85

I also never had an issue with getting my non run flats mounted and balance at the dealer
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 03:11 PM   #5
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Are you guys bringing non-run flats to the dealer yourself or does the dealer order same for you?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 11:25 PM   #6
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

After TREMENDOUS back and forth, got approval.

Insurance agreed to substitute Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 conventional tires for my Goodyear Excellence run flats, and dealer FINALLY agreed to order and install same.

Can't wait to experience the handling, comfort and winter performance (with xDrive) I should've had for the past 5 years.

Picking car up tomorrow. Will report back.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 09:19 PM   #7
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

DAY AND NIGHT DIFFERENCE! FAR quieter, FAR smoother; immediately noticeable.

Known road imperfections and minor manholes now unnoticeable. Car absorbs all the way a full-sized luxury sedan should. I've driven in Comfort since new, which almost seems too soft now.

That said, not sure if it's the tires or because I returned a loaded 435i M Sport loaner [that I drove in Sport], but steering now seems a bit less precise. Not numb, not spongy, but less precise. Not wandering, but not sure how else to describe. Could this be because the tires aren't broken in yet? Can anyone confirm if this improves in a couple hundred miles?

In sum, happy for now!

Two more points:

Run flats are almost double the weight of conventional tires(!); upon new tire drop off, recouped one undamaged run flat, and the weight was surprising!

AND, saw a 435i Individual in the showroom and thought the leather weave on the doors was awesome; very Bottega Veneta!

Last edited by dbs600; 12-10-2015 at 01:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 12:55 AM   #8
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Also the new tires stick out past the wheels a bit more instead of wrapping them like a rubber band.

Should help protect against some cosmetic wheel damage.

After driving more, feel like my car is saying thanks after what was abuse by the run flats.

Last edited by dbs600; 12-07-2015 at 05:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 01:41 AM   #9
Somerset Jim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 LCI DCT & F01 730d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600
DAY AND NIGHT DIFFERENCE! FAR quieter, FAR smoother; immediately noticeable.

Known road imperfections and minor manholes now unnoticeable. Also hit a minor pothole, which the car absorbed the way a full-sized luxury sedan should. I've driven in Comfort since new, which almost seems too soft now.

That said, not sure if it's the tires or because I returned a loaded 435i M Sport loaner [that I drove in Sport], but steering now seems a bit less precise. Not numb, not spongy, but less precise. Not wandering, but not sure how else to describe. Could this be because the tires aren't broken in yet? Can anyone confirm if this improves in a couple hundred miles?

In sum, happy for now!

Two more points:

Run flats are almost double the weight of conventional tires(!); upon new tire drop off, recouped one undamaged run flat, and the weight was surprising!

AND, saw a 435i Individual in the showroom and thought the leather weave on the doors was awesome; very Bottega Veneta!
Good stuff.

I have changed the tyres on my last 3 bmw's to non run flats and I will do so when the tyres on my (new to me 730d) have finished their serviceable life. All that you have described is how I've felt when changing them. The car seems to have a little more sideways movement when cornering, almost as if the tyre wall has a bit of play in it because of the reduced rigidity.

It makes complete sense on a 7 series to do this but on a 3/4 series unless you have low profile tyres I've found that the fun of driving this type of car is taken away a bit due to the rolling described above.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 09:16 AM   #10
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerset Jim View Post
Good stuff.

I have changed the tyres on my last 3 bmw's to non run flats and I will do so when the tyres on my (new to me 730d) have finished their serviceable life. All that you have described is how I've felt when changing them. The car seems to have a little more sideways movement when cornering, almost as if the tyre wall has a bit of play in it because of the reduced rigidity.

It makes complete sense on a 7 series to do this but on a 3/4 series unless you have low profile tyres I've found that the fun of driving this type of car is taken away a bit due to the rolling described above.
Hmm; maybe what you describe is it.

Have to take her out again today to see.

Also going to adjust air pressures in the coming week.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 07:41 AM   #11
BaggerBoi5ty
Registered
Rep
Drives: Black 2010 750I MSport

Fellas i really thank you guys for this informative post. Im will be new to bmw world shortly. Since i have friends that had issues with runflats now i know it is an option im more inclined to purchasing a set of conventional tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 07:18 AM   #12
cukoodukoo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 GTS

What do you guys do with the runflats that came with the car? Save it? Just curious. I am seriously thinking of giving this a try but don't have space to store any more tires in my garage.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 09:53 AM   #13
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Three of my run flats had bubbles, so those were trashed. So, I put the fourth in a large black garbage bag and it's in my garage. The difference in [unsprung] weight between conventional and run flats is astonishing!
Appreciate 0