BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-31-2018, 07:22 AM   #1
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Tesla Model S tops list of most expensive cars to insure

This is interesting, and something that never occurred to me. From the National Post.

Nicholas Maronese by NICHOLAS MARONESE | 22 HOURS AGO

Tesla is expanding a new car insurance program it’s offering in some markets into what it calls a “customer-centric insurance company,” reports Electrek, just as insurance rates for the automaker’s vehicles are becoming the most expensive in the industry.

The electric carmaker’s partnerships with underwriters to provide in-house insurance options will offer relief for owners of its Model S sedans, which data from the U.S. Insurance Institute for Highway recently showed cost more than any other new car to insure, at an average of US$1,789 annually.

The company’s solution has in part been to work with insurance companies on custom InsureMyTesla plans for owners in Australia and Hong Kong. Electrek reports Tesla is now moving to bring something similar to North America, going so far as to hire former Liberty Mutual exec Alex Tsetsenekos to run the program.

In the meantime, CEO Elon Musk encouraged owners who feel they’re paying too much to insure their Tesla to switch providers.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 08:15 AM   #2
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

The well publicized misnamed "Enhanced Autopilot" nonsense is likely the biggest culprit of the higher rates.

If I were to purchase a Tesla product, I would absolutely not equip it with that option. Unfortunately, convincing an insurance company to offer a discount based on the lack of Autopilot would probably be a difficult task at best.
Appreciate 1
RABAUKE4658.00
      05-31-2018, 08:20 AM   #3
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
The well publicized misnamed "Enhanced Autopilot" nonsense is likely the biggest culprit of the higher rates.

If I were to purchase a Tesla product, I would absolutely not equip it with that option. Unfortunately, convincing an insurance company to offer a discount based on the lack of Autopilot would probably be a difficult task at best.
I have zero confidence in any of this self driving technology. I'd never own one nor would I be a passenger in one and I'm seriously concerned about them being on the road around me.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 09:04 AM   #4
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I'd gladly swap a texting, eating idiot for a Tesla any time.
Appreciate 2
RABAUKE4658.00
      05-31-2018, 10:07 AM   #5
El Conquistador
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240 Vert - 6M as god intended

I have heard the aluminum body is a bear to repair. Even small fender benders become big dollar issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 10:10 AM   #6
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
I have heard the aluminum body is a bear to repair. Even small fender benders become big dollar issues.
Been true for the Audi A8 and Acura/Honda NSX for years.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 10:15 AM   #7
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Having driven a model S with Autopilot... all I can say is that the tech has a long way to go...
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 10:26 AM   #8
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Probably because all of the sensors and cameras, in addition to aluminum body, motorized everything.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 10:38 AM   #9
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
What else was on the list?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 10:50 AM   #10
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
Probably because all of the sensors and cameras, in addition to aluminum body, motorized everything.
Perhaps, but no, that's not really what I meant.

The fact is that there have been multiple incidents where Tesla's products have been involved in accidents - some of them serious enough to result in fatalities - due to misuse of the so-called Autopilot feature. So, an insurance provider is naturally going to recognize that there is significant risk associated with being liable for a vehicle that is equipped with this technology. And it is therefore utterly understandable that they will charge commensurate premiums for coverage of these vehicles.

The tech is named in an irresponsible way, advertised in an irresponsible way, and consumers tend to easily fall under the spell of marketing messages which leads to the use of products in ways in which they weren't intended. It's a mess and, as we've already seen in some cases, a disaster too. Not only that, but it is a disservice to the AV technology field where real progress is actually being made toward real self-driving cars. That technology is not-nearly fully baked yet, and pretending that it is is sketchy at best.
Appreciate 1