BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

01-31-2014, 12:57 PM   #1
SK7
Private
Rep
Drives: G11 730d

Tips for buying used 7 series (F01)

Hey guys! i'm now confused, what car should I buy, but I decided to go check BMW 740d, which is for sale. It's 2013 year (LCI), car has about 10k miles (15-16k km) and fully loaded, so any tips?

Last edited by SK7; 01-31-2014 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: The M's

My advice.... Don't buy a used 7 series....Unless you have a generous warranty

2016 BMW X5 ///M
2016 BMW M4 ///M Convertible

aLatteHotte - www.aLatteHotte.com - The Future of Coffee
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 08:42 AM   #3
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18’ Q7,16'981 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxcode View Post
My advice.... Don't buy a used 7 series....Unless you have a generous warranty
I was about to say the same but did not like posting something negative.It sickens me every time but it looks like its true.I feel bad when I read some of the nightmares some of the owners go through.Shame on these car companies which can't mKe a reliable product.PUPPY SHAME...there I said it
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #4
Fanta
C
Canada
Rep
Drives: 740iL, M3, Carrera

Agree. It is because there are too many rough end-users in the world.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thats right, some of us take good care of our cars and never really experience any big issues, but in a big techno-ladden barge, you never know what gremlins will present themselves. As stated above, you also don't know how the previous owner treated the product.

2016 BMW X5 ///M

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #6
SK7
Private
Rep

God, I'm back from test drive, and I am shocked - car has only 10k miles on it, but it looks, drives, smells and sounds horrible. The salesman is a$$hole - he smells and looks horrible, and he was very rude to me, from what I guess that car is stolen...
AND in car's advertisement he uploaded OTHER car photos - in real it looks almost the same, but thankfully we had sunny day - he wrote, that car's color is "Azure black" (It has blue shade) but I didn't saw that, and when my friend checked the VIN from the car and from advertisement - there was a big difference between those two...
and really i'm thinking of buying new one...
      02-01-2014, 02:18 PM   #7
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK7 View Post
God, I'm back from test drive, and I am shocked - car has only 10k miles on it, but it looks, drives, smells and sounds horrible. The salesman is a$$hole - he smells and looks horrible, and he was very rude to me, from what I guess that car is stolen...
AND in car's advertisement he uploaded OTHER car photos - in real it looks almost the same, but thankfully we had sunny day - he wrote, that car's color is "Azure black" (It has blue shade) but I didn't saw that, and when my friend checked the VIN from the car and from advertisement - there was a big difference between those two...
and really i'm thinking of buying new one...
Yikes! That sounds like a horrible experience! Im not sure about your country, but here in the U.S.A. BMW has some great incentives. Im sure they exist there too, go with new and look in the rearview mirror! You won't regret it. Remember the old saying Penny Wise, Pound Foolish... It's so true in life.

2016 BMW X5 ///M

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 02:38 PM   #8
SK7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yikes! That sounds like a horrible experience! Im not sure about your country, but here in the U.S.A. BMW has some great incentives. Im sure they exist there too, go with new and look in the rearview mirror! You won't regret it. Remember the old saying Penny Wise, Pound Foolish... It's so true in life.
Yeaaah I decided to go with new! But you Sir, are true expert in 7 series so which color should I choose? (Int. and ext.) I saw, that you have sattel brown int. And how does it look on sunny day (I mean isn't it too light)
Sorry for bad English skills...
      02-01-2014, 02:42 PM   #9
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeaaah I decided to go with new! But you Sir, are true expert in 7 series so which color should I choose? (Int. and ext.) I saw, that you have sattel brown int. And how does it look on sunny day (I mean isn't it too light)
Sorry for bad English skills...
Personally, I love the Saddle Interior, it's very lush. It's a carmel kind of brown. Not light, not dark. You have to see for yourself in person because it's very different in photos.

Of course I love the Carbon Black (I have three in that color). It's a very deep dark color with loads of deep sea blue when the sun hits it. The Brown/Dark Blue combination are just fantastic. I love the light Poplar wood too.

The Carbon Black car I have with the white leather looks fantastic too, especially with the dark graphite wood. The White leather though, is very delicate and would probably not be a good choice for a daily driver.

2016 BMW X5 ///M

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #10
SK7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Personally, I love the Saddle Interior, it's very lush. It's a carmel kind of brown. Not light, not dark. You have to see for yourself in person because it's very different in photos.

Of course I love the Carbon Black (I have three in that color). It's a very deep dark color with loads of deep sea blue when the sun hits it. The Brown/Dark Blue combination are just fantastic. I love the light Poplar wood too.

The Carbon Black car I have with the white leather looks fantastic too, especially with the dark graphite wood. The White leather though, is very delicate and would probably not be a good choice for a daily driver.
Thanks, have you seen Azure black too? I'm interested in very dark blue or something like that. Btw. I saw the Saddle brown int.and I loved it but unfortunenly it was rainy day...
      02-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #11
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, have you seen Azure black too? I'm interested in very dark blue or something like that. Btw. I saw the Saddle brown int.and I loved it but unfortunenly it was rainy day...
I had an X5M that was a weird shade of black. Not sure about Azure black or if thats a US option. I have Carbon Black and of all the colors I have owned, it is hands down, my favorite. Just a pain to keep it clean. It's almost dirty as soon as you wash it.

2016 BMW X5 ///M

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 03:16 PM   #12
SK7
Private
Rep

Quote:
I had an X5M that was a weird shade of black. Not sure about Azure black or if thats a US option. I have Carbon Black and of all the colors I have owned, it is hands down, my favorite. Just a pain to keep it clean. It's almost dirty as soon as you wash it.
Okay, so my car will be Carbon black w/ Saddle brown. Now about the options - as I see you have those digital gauges, so how are they in night and in sunny day?
      02-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #13
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Okay, so my car will be Carbon black w/ Saddle brown. Now about the options - as I see you have those digital gauges, so how are they in night and in sunny day?
Nice decision to get a new one.I was about to pick up a new one off the lot and I am glad osx convinced me to configure and order a new one.Its worth it.The digital gauges are fine even in sunlight.They are visible even with polarized glasses unlike the HUD.

Carbon black is a nice color.It was second on my list after white.I was worried that's I wouldn't be able to keep it clean and the swirl marks.

If you would like some pics of the interior( not many) ,you could check out my post

http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932004

If you have saddle brown available in your country as a standard option,take a look at it.It should look the best with a white exterior.

Last edited by luvthestck; 02-01-2014 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #14
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthestck View Post
Nice decision to get a new one.I was about to pick up a new one off the lot and I am glad osx convinced me to configure and order a new one.Its worth it.The digital gauges are fine even in sunlight.They are visible even with polarized glasses unlike the HUD.

Carbon black is a nice color.It was second on my list after white.I was worried that's I wouldn't be able to keep it clean and the swirl marks.

If you would like some pics of the interior( not many) ,you could check out my post

http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932004

If you have saddle brown available in your country as a standard option,take a look at it.It should look the best with a white exterior.
^ Yes, what he said ^
IF you choose the dark blue, make sure you have a good detailer. I have a guy that is wonderful, comes every week to my home to clean whichever car is dirty and does a famous job. Never any swirl marks. I leave it to the Pros.

The digital display is just plain awesome. It's very colorful in the day time, nice white/grey/red/orange combinations and in the evening, it's typical BMW amber colored and easy to read. I love scrolling through the playlist on the digital display, it just puts out so much more information over the outgoing unit.

I never use the head-up display, It honestly gives me a headache. I love the leather dash though and I think that was part of the executive package.

You should certainly order your car the way you want it, doesn't take long to get and you get exactly what you want. You are also guaranteed that nobody ever took it for a spin. I've always had White cars before and I LOVE white cars, they show all the detail of the design. With the 7 though, it's sort of a slabby mash of sheet metal with minute details and curves, it's elegant and sophisticated. I chose the dark blue because it has so many personalities, it can be black at night or in the shade (which is always classy on a 7) and then in the sun, it looks famous! That carbon black is just unbelievable, but be prepared to wash often - the color is unforgiving to dirt/dust/shit.

I never personally found the B&O audio a good value, the standard Harmon/Kardon is really nice. Others love the B&O, so test it out and see if thats something you would want. I couldn't justify the steep price tag for what I heard through it.

2016 BMW X5 ///M

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 09:17 AM   #15
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Cinnamon brown is yet another beautiful color for the interior.If it's a no cost option grab it.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 05:19 AM   #16
bizzleb109
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i convertible

lol I bought a used 740li fully loaded 2 years ago with a 136k on the clock, full bmw service history always serviced between 10k to 12k miles at bmw park lane from start no problems at all.
Appreciate 0