BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

04-21-2015, 11:47 AM   #1
g_petko
Private
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90

Garage List
2007 E90  [0.00]
What keeps you motivated?

There can be a million reasons why someone is motivated to train. Some peoples motivations are broad or clinically precise. Whether it is to have a physique similar to that of a role model (personally The Rock has what I call an ideal physique), completing a certain event, wanting to catch the eye of everyone at the beach or to be fit enough to keep up with your kids.

For myself, my motivation comes from competing. I achieve the best results with my diet and training when I am training for something in particular (I.e football and kickboxing have been my past sports). This is also an issue because when I don't have a sport to train for - Everything goes out the window, which pisses me off. This is my scenario recently, but having decided that I will get back into playing rugby next season, this gives me something to work towards.

The body is an amazing machine and it's surprising what a lil' motivation does to help us get to our goals
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 11:54 AM   #2
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I've been lifting weights/working out around two hours per day for the last 20 years.

Becoming fat/out of shape horrifies me, it terrifies me honestly. It's to the point now where I can no longer eat fast food, ice cream, drink soda, etc. It's a sickness perhaps.

The worst part? Even after all the compliments from people, including total strangers who just see me on the street, I have never been happy a single day with how I look. Not once, not ever.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2015, 12:01 PM   #3
g_petko
Private
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90  [0.00]
I agree there - my worst fear is to be overweight. From both a physical and health point of view.

Whilst I am aware that people in this section of the forum are people with all kinds of body shapes, we all have a common goal of being better then we were yesterday which is awesome for us. However, it sickens me when I see grossly overweight / obese people scoffing down processed foods and then claiming 'it's genetics' whilst receiving disability pensions because they can no longer work.

No, get your fat ass off the motorized scooter, get that crap off your plate and be active. It is a gift to be able to have a functioning body so don't sit there and eat yourself to death.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2015, 12:04 PM   #4
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Exactly, matter can neither be created nor destroyed. You simply cannot maintain 300lbs of weight by eating healthy twice a day. You are constantly shoving your face with anything put in front of you to maintain that weight.

When I was at my heaviest/bulkiest (around 275lbs), I ate seven-eight meals per day to maintain the weight. When I reached the age of 35, I decided that keeping all that bulk was not healthy as I aged. I cut the meals down to 4-5 per day, and within three months, I had lost 45lbs and I've been at 230lbs ever since (38 y/o now). I changed nothing in my workout routine, I simply cut the number of calories going in down.

I just roll my eyes when people who are overweight say they don't eat much or eat healthy. They are full of shit.

Like you, I see having a healthy body as a gift. After each workout, I get down on one knee and thank God for giving me another healthy, injury free day.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2015, 12:21 PM   #5
g_petko
Private
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90  [0.00]
It's not easy to admit that you aren't comfortable in your own skin. I have a similar feeling - Whilst many people would consider me to be 'in shape', I am not comfortable with the shape I'm in now. So much so that I wouldn't take my top off in public.

While I know it's a ridiculous thing because I have nothing to be ashamed of, I remember the shape I was in 3-4 months ago and that's why I feel the way I do.

I know I can be better then I am now which is giving me a hard time.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 12:24 PM   #6
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

When my pants get too small. That's what motivates me. That little bit of pudge that makes me have to buy 36" waisted jeans instead of 34". I hate the thought of being fat. but there are so many amazing foods out there ( not packaged bs) but culinary creations, both savory and sweet. And unfortunately i love beer. So i yo-yo between periods of dedicated weightlifting and cardio, and eating healthy, to not doing shit. Meh life is short. But buying a 36 just kicks me in the balls. Im 6' ~205 SMH....
You'll never regret pursuing what you really want....ever. You will, however, regret NOT doing things you wanted to do.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #7
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

The diagnosis of juvenile (type 1, or insulin-dependent) diabetes at age 14 was a blessing in disguise. I learned a lot about nutrition and it's effects on a body, and also the effects of exercise.

I now exercise because I can (my mom has a lot of trouble with even walking due to her age and arthritis) and so I can eat more than I should.

Also, I simply am shirt-adverse when the sun is out. IF my Dunlop's disease is flaring up (my belly dun lop over my pants) then I am a bit more self-conscious about taking the shirt off.

I'm 48 and still (sorta) play soccer on the weekends.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2015, 12:32 PM   #8
g_petko
Private
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90  [0.00]
Only if more people truly realized what exercise can do for insulin sensitivity / resistance. It's truly a miracle worker (exercise).
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #9
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

While I fully agree with you guys in regards with the shape, exercise and that everybody should put some little effort in maintaining a good and healthy body, I disagree with you lack of self confidence.
I am a very conscientious person as well and while I like things clean and organized I started to realize that some things are how they are.
Let's take a car for example: regardless how much care you take, wash it, polish it, etc., that car will look very good in comparison with so many other cars but it will never be perfect except if you don't drive it. Using it, it will still get little scratches from some sand, dust, rock chips, etc.
I hate that but I am working with my mind to accept the reality.

Once you do whatever you can, be happy with your results. While you are grateful for a another day of work and improving, why can not you extend that gratitude towards yourself? If you are puting efforts towards a specific goal, give yourself a set of mental applause and be happy with who you are. You are doing something and that makes you already better. Don't stop there, do womething every day to evolve, but be happy that you are doing it. It is so important for your moral, your mental health...

I used to be always unhappy with many things. One day, I have met one individual that had just one half arm with a little finger that he used for everything including his iphone. It amazed me how he could operate and try to be "normal". What amazed me was his happiness, his love for life and joy. After meeting this guy I realized how lucky I am and that we are who we are, and we are responsible of our own being, our own happiness. Wake up happy, do the best of what you do, improve yourself and provide help to others, making the world a better place.

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 09:03 PM   #10
SugarSkulls
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Banging 8-10s is quite frankly so much easier when you're in shape.

/thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 09:31 PM   #11
djDori_C
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

It's more then just motivation or workout cycle. It's has to be a lifestyle. If you want to be fit, then you will be. No excuses.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 08:06 PM   #12
skua
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i '08 M-Sport

Training for the past 5 and a half years and I can honestly say that I find that my motivation has come from maintaining a positive lifestyle which incorporates very clean and lean eating, looking up to an inspirational fitness figure and wanting to be the best version of myself

Oh and also watching rich piana videos on YouTube LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 08:25 PM   #13
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

I was probably 13 the first time I walked into a gym and it was instant love. I didn't really start lifting till I was about 20 (36 now), what motivates me is the mirror and the incredible pumps I get. I feel like Michael Angelo every time I enter the gym. I damn near feel sad when the workout is over.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 10:06 AM   #14
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

my motivation is the hot girls at the gym all wear spandex.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2015, 10:44 AM   #15
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

success
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 08:33 PM   #16
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skua View Post
Training for the past 5 and a half years and I can honestly say that I find that my motivation has come from maintaining a positive lifestyle which incorporates very clean and lean eating, looking up to an inspirational fitness figure and wanting to be the best version of myself

rich piana is my favorite natural bodybuilder
      12-05-2015, 08:37 PM   #17
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
my motivation is the hot girls at the gym all wear spandex.
+1, also feels good moving big weight
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 03:33 AM   #18
skua
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i '08 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbb85
Quote:
Originally Posted by skua View Post

rich piana is my favorite natural bodybuilder
Rich piano is my favorite musical instrument
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 04:13 AM   #19
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

Numbers keep me motivated since they provide visible progress.

My total is at 1070lbs and I gotta get to 1100!

Once I get to 1100, I'll aim for 1200. Hopefully hit 1150 by end of 2016.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #20
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreez88 View Post
Numbers keep me motivated since they provide visible progress.

My total is at 1070lbs and I gotta get to 1100!

Once I get to 1100, I'll aim for 1200. Hopefully hit 1150 by end of 2016.
Yeah got to 1150 myself 6 months ago or so and have went backwards since. Train lot lighter now and so more bodybuilding high rep workouts.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 03:40 PM   #21
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Yeah got to 1150 myself 6 months ago or so and have went backwards since. Train lot lighter now and so more bodybuilding high rep workouts.
That's fantastic! What's your BW?

I'm roughly at 176lbs.

I myself gotta take it slow and steady, anyone chasing 1rms on regular basis tends to get hurt. I typically stick to 3-5 rep range in my workouts and go to 1-2 rep range when I feel really good.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #22
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

I have competed at 198. I'm 44 years old also. I have gotten away from any heavy training and am doing a lot of 8-15 rep range. Feels good but can't lift heavy for shit now.
Appreciate 0