BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

05-31-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Strange Radio / Profile Problem

Every now and then (once every other week or so) something strange happens when I start my car where the radio is on and tuned to a station not programmed as a preset and which I would never listen to, as it's in another language. I assume it has something to do with user profiles, which I never set up, but its strange in that none of my other settings change and all of my presets are correct. Does anyone know what might be causing this? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

The problem is more frequent now, albeit still random. I’ve narrowed it down to the following: If listening to FM radio when shutting down the car, there are times when starting it up that the radio is tuned to the lowest possible FM frequency (87.7 I believe). Now doubtful it has anything to do with user profiles or comfort access, as I never set up either, always use the same key and the presets are always the same / retained. Anyone experience similar?

Last edited by dbs600; 12-29-2012 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 02:54 AM   #3
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

It's your battery. It's not charged enough anymore to power all the electronic gadgets during the time your cars engine is not running.

Happened to me so many bloody times. I'm on the 3rd battery and it's starting to happen again.

Worst part is that when the battery is down to it's last leg, the car will NOT allow you to turn anything on that it considers not necessary for the basic operation of the car. For example, last winter, it was like -15degC outside, I get into the car, internal light didn't come on (it was dark outside), I thought that was a bit strange, start up the engine, the steering wheel stayed in the upper most position, again strange, the seat didn't 'grab me' as it usually did, the navigation system was all screwed up, the radio station was on 87.7, the seat heater wouldn't turn on, the steering wheel heater wouldn't turn on, the blower for the heating system wouldn't turn on, etc... you get the picture. Brought it to the dealership and they confirmed the battery was almost dead. They disconnected the battery from the car and tested it over night. Conclusion, battery wouldn't take a charge. So they replaced it. A few month later, the same thing, so they replaced the replacement battery. Now a couple month later and all of this crap is starting up again....

REALLY REALLY BLOODY ANNOYING!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #4
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Is this related to regenerative braking? Not cool, nevertheless!

Car has less than 20k miles on it; battery should last through 40!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Is this related to regenerative braking? Not cool, nevertheless!

Car has less than 20k miles on it; battery should last through 40!
No, it's not related to regenerative braking. Car has just under 26k miles (41k km) and as I said, I'm already on the 3rd battery and it's doing this again. NOT COOL at all. And another bad part about this is that the kids can't even watch anything on the entertainment system because the car will not turn that on either, so I have to listen to them whine about it too. Not to mention you pay a ton of money for this car to have all these amenities and can't even use them (e.g. heated seats when it's freezing outside,...).
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

It doesn't have to do with the fact the car does not have an alternator to continually charge the battery? Poor design, whatever's causing this...
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
Fastbuck
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F01 740d M Sport

Garage List
I had this on one of the first E70s to be produced. You don't happen to leave the vehicle unlocked in your garage do you?

Fastbuck
2012 F01 740d M Sport Alpine White Oyster/ Oyster
2013 E84 X1 1.8d M Sport Alpine White Black/ Black
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

No, I don't. Thanks for the input, however.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600
Every now and then (once every other week or so) something strange happens when I start my car where the radio is on and tuned to a station not programmed as a preset and which I would never listen to, as it's in another language. I assume it has something to do with user profiles, which I never set up, but its strange in that none of my other settings change and all of my presets are correct. Does anyone know what might be causing this? Thanks!
Well, I really use my car. I have rear cabled for mobile office. There are times when I idle for four hours while I work in the rear seat.

The trick, that I found, is to just leave the car on idle whenever you are using it. The battery holds up fine after two years.

The rear entertainment will power on immediately without having to start the engine. This is a nice feature for impatient kiddos. Nevertheless, if you are using anything in the car, keep the motor running. So long as its in a place that won't asphyxiate you.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #10
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

The radio problem presents itself when I start the car; I rarely listen to it with the car off...
Appreciate 0