BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

02-20-2018, 04:43 PM   #23
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
Quick question about Adaptive - is it a separate "mode" like sport or comfort or is it a setting that gets applied to whatever mode you're already in, i.e. adaptive comfort or adaptive sport etc?
Separate mode. It is supposed to monitor how you like to drive and when you 'change' styles as well as monitor the sat nav to see how the road ahead looks and then automatically adjusts to suit your personal style...it needs time to adjust to how you drive though so initially is not going to feel like anything...only after some time will it know that you like to drive sporty in twists, comfort on motorway, etc...

At least that is the theory. There is a separate button for it on the central console and it shows generic dials regardless of changes (so doesn't show sport red dials when it is in 'sport' for example...only says adaptive....(bottom right of tach)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 04:45 PM   #24
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
So car I think always defaults to Comfort so you'd need to switch to it.
Correct, always defaults to comfort...a bit irritating to be honest. that would be something to code for sure...(stay in whatever was last used when switching off and back on again).

This was also the case in F series 7's.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 04:48 PM   #25
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Yeah I knew it was a separate button but didn't know if it modified the selected mode given that it "straddles" all of the other buttons, but good to know it's a separate mode altogether.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 04:49 PM   #26
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Separate mode. It is supposed to monitor how you like to drive and when you 'change' styles as well as monitor the sat nav to see how the road ahead looks and then automatically adjusts to suit your personal style...it needs time to adjust to how you drive though so initially is not going to feel like anything...only after some time will it know that you like to drive sporty in twists, comfort on motorway, etc...
Have you given it a big enough chance to ever notice anything with it? Or does it hurt GP's delicate body to be in anything but comfort plus?

It never goes to the Comfort Plus levels I believe in Adaptive so it's more an automatic switch from Comfort to Sport along with some extra magic sauce.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 04:51 PM   #27
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
From my manual (which I believe would also apply to yours):

Adaptive adjusts the following dynamically according to the situation:

-engine characteristics
-steptronic transmission
-dynamic damper control
-air suspension
-active roll stabilisation
-display in the instrument cluster
-cruise control
-backrest width
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 04:52 PM   #28
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:

At least that is the theory. There is a separate button for it on the central console and it shows generic dials regardless of changes (so doesn't show sport red dials when it is in 'sport' for example...only says adaptive....(bottom right of tach)
right so just so I'm clear, when in adaptive, and you switch to sport or comfort, it gets rid of adaptive drive and just makes it comfortable or sporty etc, right? But when you press adaptive, that mode does all the adaptive business but also learns over time how you drive, and even after it's learned this, when you switch back to comfort, that removes any of the learned information, right?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 04:53 PM   #29
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Have you given it a big enough chance to ever notice anything with it? Or does it hurt GP's delicate body to be in anything but comfort plus?

It never goes to the Comfort Plus levels I believe in Adaptive so it's more an automatic switch from Comfort to Sport along with some extra magic sauce.
honest answer: no. I really should give it a fair chance so will abuse this delicate behind and take one for the team!

Gasp, what! No CP....OMG! I'll need to take my 'individual crocheted seat cushion me thinks!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 04:54 PM   #30
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
right so just so I'm clear, when in adaptive, and you switch to sport or comfort, it gets rid of adaptive drive and just makes it comfortable or sporty etc, right? But when you press adaptive, that mode does all the adaptive business but also learns over time how you drive, and even after it's learned this, when you switch back to comfort, that removes any of the learned information, right?
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 05:05 PM   #31
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Also, you can individually configure two other modes: sport and eco pro (on our 730's at least, not sure if FLJB's will be different).

So, if you configure sport / eco pro to be 'individual' this is saved to that key fob and driver profile and any time you switch to sport or eco pro thereafter this individual setting is applied (so no generic sport or eco pro)...unless you select 'reset to sport/eco pro standard' as an option.

So adaptive is separate and changes modes to adaptive, which learns and applies your style preferences automatically...but when you manually switch back to sport for example then it will remove the adaptive settings and change to sport default unless you have individually configured sport, then it switches to sport individual and you'd have to reset it to remove that.

Hope that is clear as mud? a lot of choices and flexibility but simple to apply and use.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 05:08 PM   #32
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well surely it doesn't forget what it's learned about your driving style? More it just switches that mode off is all so it just sticks to the mode you've picked.

I wonder how much of a learning there really is though. If you think the GPS knows your approaching a tight corner so that might switch to a more sporty suspension to reduce body roll. It then might drop you a gear so you can accelerate out quickly if it notices you've been driving that way out of corners. It might do this in a way that you hardly notice it's even changed before it switches back.

Honestly I'm guessing a bit but I'll enjoy giving it a shot. In reality the way BMW talks about it, it's the best mode to be in almost all the time. Unless your 100% sure you only want Comfort / Comfort Plus or Sport.

Or god forbid Eco Pro. You have to commit that offence willingly I mean I always have a play and see what the maximum mpg I can get at some point. Normally in break in period when I cannot hammer it so give it a whirl the other way. However it always feels like someone has nicked half my horses...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 05:17 PM   #33
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well surely it doesn't forget what it's learned about your driving style? More it just switches that mode off is all so it just sticks to the mode you've picked.

I wonder how much of a learning there really is though. If you think the GPS knows your approaching a tight corner so that might switch to a more sporty suspension to reduce body roll. It then might drop you a gear so you can accelerate out quickly if it notices you've been driving that way out of corners. It might do this in a way that you hardly notice it's even changed before it switches back.

Honestly I'm guessing a bit but I'll enjoy giving it a shot. In reality the way BMW talks about it, it's the best mode to be in almost all the time. Unless your 100% sure you only want Comfort / Comfort Plus or Sport.

Or god forbid Eco Pro. You have to commit that offence willingly I mean I always have a play and see what the maximum mpg I can get at some point. Normally in break in period when I cannot hammer it so give it a whirl the other way. However it always feels like someone has nicked half my horses...
Yes, sorry should have been more precise! You’re correct it changes modes but doesn’t forget what it’s learned it just doesn’t apply yhat until you switch back to adsptive again.

Not tried eco pro as it limits a lot: a/c, stereo and other settings iirc! Not sure you even get it at all in 760?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 05:24 PM   #34
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes, sorry should have been more precise! You’re correct it changes modes but doesn’t forget what it’s learned it just doesn’t apply yhat until you switch back to adsptive again.

Not tried eco pro as it limits a lot: a/c, stereo and other settings iirc! Not sure you even get it at all in 760?
Yeah it's still there on the 760. Didn't know it limited the stereo? You mean it'll even stop me making my ears bleed?

At also switches on a coasting mode I believe so the car loses engine breaking above certain speeds however if you time it right you can save fuel using it. As said I've played with it in break in periods in previous BMW's just to see what the maximum mpg I could pull off.

I think I generally averaged around 44 - 45mpg in my 335d, could generally get 47mpg on a long run and my best in Eco Pro was like 53mpg.

I imagine on a 760 it'll only make a 0 point something difference. It's going to drink a lot of fuel regardless. Hehe
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 05:37 PM   #35
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Just checked and it doesn’t affect stereo thankfully! It affects:

-coasting behaviour as you mentioned
-reduces A/C power if needed
-reduces seat heating power if needed
-reduces low beam headlights if in adaptive setting!

So at least limited to these reductions!

Re: fuel use: have you told your fraud dept that yes, you will be fuelling up several times per day and no that the three petrol deductions in s day are not fraud!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 05:51 PM   #36
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just checked and it doesn’t affect stereo thankfully! It affects:

-coasting behaviour as you mentioned
-reduces A/C power if needed
-reduces seat heating power if needed
-reduces low beam headlights if in adaptive setting!

So at least limited to these reductions!

Re: fuel use: have you told your fraud dept that yes, you will be fuelling up several times per day and no that the three petrol deductions in s day are not fraud!
Seems a bit risky lowering the power of the headlights! Not sure I like that. Wonder if you can at least turn that option off as I think you could disable the lower seat heating power if I remember rightly on a previous BMW... The M5 doesn't have an Eco Pro mode so cannot check.

Ah no company car and it's just a fixed 45p a mile so they don't care what they drive to be honest. They pay that and it's your problem after that.

I do wonder though if I ever decide to move jobs that if I find one that wants to pay a car allowance it'll be a bit of an issue. It's normally a lump sum per year and then a rubbish per mile payment. One that won't come close to covering the fuel costs so it would only work if I did a low enough mileage not to eat through the car allowance. However most jobs with a car allowance are high mileage ones...

I'd have to stow a BMW i3 in the trunk of the G12 to cover the last miles and claw back the average per mile cost
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 12:32 AM   #37
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Seems a bit risky lowering the power of the headlights! Not sure I like that. Wonder if you can at least turn that option off as I think you could disable the lower seat heating power if I remember rightly on a previous BMW... The M5 doesn't have an Eco Pro mode so cannot check.
I believe as long as you do not have the lights switch in the adaptive position, you won't have the low beam reduction in eco pro mode as it can only adjust that when the lights are in the adaptive setting. Not sure if it squawks at you if it isn't in adaptive as you wouldn't be saving as much then but at least you can override it.

The description only states:

"The brightness of the low beam headlights is reduced, depending on the speed and distance from the vehicle in front."

I'm guessing but it sounds like the low beams are dimmed a bit if there is a car in front and you wouldn't need them as much anyway but if no car in front then they are 'normal' but only a subjective interpretation, YMMV.

A bit daft in any case really so agree with you. You'd generally want to have them in adaptive mode for the benefits they give in high beam (voodoo splitting and dynamic beam forming otherwise)...have a hard time with eco pro concept in a 7 to be honest.

Not sure you can override the heating and not sure if it affects the armrests and steering wheel on the enhanced package (I don't have that) so can't say. I find that daft as well as in an i3 they tend to market that the seat heaters take up less energy than having the climate control on so if you can handle it turn on the seat heaters only to help enhance the range and leave the climate controls off...so why reduce the seat heaters in other models unless the power is much lower on an i3 for seat heaters in the first place?

Assuming you and 325_bucks know that 'start/stop' is disabled by default if you are in sport mode in the 7? (he mentioned coding it). It cuts out in comfort or comfort plus (and likely even more in eco pro)...but not in sport or sport plus.

Safe travels, looking forward to getting back home tonight and being able to drive mine again after a few days away for work being driven around in a bloody Hyundai! (and a beater at that!)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 04:55 AM   #38
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The description only states:

"The brightness of the low beam headlights is reduced, depending on the speed and distance from the vehicle in front."

I'm guessing but it sounds like the low beams are dimmed a bit if there is a car in front and you wouldn't need them as much anyway but if no car in front then they are 'normal' but only a subjective interpretation, YMMV.
OK I guess that makes sense, if your following a car then you don't need as much light and can still be safe.

Quote:
Not sure you can override the heating and not sure if it affects the armrests and steering wheel on the enhanced package (I don't have that) so can't say. I find that daft as well as in an i3 they tend to market that the seat heaters take up less energy than having the climate control on so if you can handle it turn on the seat heaters only to help enhance the range and leave the climate controls off...so why reduce the seat heaters in other models unless the power is much lower on an i3 for seat heaters in the first place?
Yes in fairness they reduce the AC power as well. Has to be a pretty hot day in the UK before you'd notice that too much I imagine as doesn't often get that hot. You'd probably cook yourself alive in Eco Pro in Texas though. Hehe

From what I remember you can notice the change in the seat heaters. Not sure on the power draw thing though. On an electric car they have to have an electric heater to be able to pump warm air into the cabin. An ICE car can use the heat the engine is already generating so might be the reverse in the sense the seat heaters are more costly to operate.

Just a guess though, I've no evidence really on that.

Quote:
Assuming you and 325_bucks know that 'start/stop' is disabled by default if you are in sport mode in the 7? (he mentioned coding it). It cuts out in comfort or comfort plus (and likely even more in eco pro)...but not in sport or sport plus.

Safe travels, looking forward to getting back home tonight and being able to drive mine again after a few days away for work being driven around in a bloody Hyundai! (and a beater at that!)
Yeah you don't want engine start / stop in Sport when you want maximum attack

Driven around? Look at you. You do need a LWB so Parker can drive you around in the UK as well
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 07:13 AM   #39
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
From what I remember you can notice the change in the seat heaters. Not sure on the power draw thing though. On an electric car they have to have an electric heater to be able to pump warm air into the cabin. An ICE car can use the heat the engine is already generating so might be the reverse in the sense the seat heaters are more costly to operate.

Just a guess though, I've no evidence really on that.
That makes sense.

Quote:
Driven around? Look at you. You do need a LWB so Parker can drive you around in the UK as well
Heh, what can I say! They obviously know who I am! I’ve had a neighbour offer to drive me around as my chauffeur so could get used to that!

Greetings from Copenhagen!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 12:13 PM   #40
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Heh, what can I say! They obviously know who I am! I’ve had a neighbour offer to drive me around as my chauffeur so could get used to that!
You sure they don't just want a go with your 7 series?
Appreciate 0