BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

02-15-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
gorun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: W166 ML63 PP

Active seats?

I am getting the comfort seats for sure, I am just not sure whether to tick the active seat option. Never tried them either. How do forum members that have them find them? Do you ever use them? Tried the S class versions of this in a friends merc and I am not 100%. Please advice...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #2
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

I use the active seat feature on long trips, keeps you from getting fatigued. The bottom part of the seat has a couple of 'air-bags' that the system inflates with air in different intervals and I think in a different (random?!?) order.

You have to get used to it. It does feel strange the first few times you use it, but once you used this feature a few times, it actually is quite nice, especially on long trips!

I usually use it on my 4 to 5 hour trips...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Forgot to ask, where are you from?

Reason I am asking, in the US and in Canada, at least in the 2009 and 2010 models, the active seat is (was) only available in the driver seat. Not sure if they changed that for the 2011 model year (I sure hope so!).

Honestly, I don't understand why they would only offer this in the driver seat and not in the passenger seat. This is available in both seats in Europe but apparently not in North America!

When I bought my car, I even had them check into making this a custom order to have it in the passenger seat, but BMW Canada at that time said that it is NOT available (even as a custom order)!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
mdernst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post

Reason I am asking, in the US and in Canada, at least in the 2009 and 2010 models, the active seat is (was) only available in the driver seat. Not sure if they changed that for the 2011 model year (I sure hope so!).

Honestly, I don't understand why they would only offer this in the driver seat and not in the passenger seat. This is available in both seats in Europe but apparently not in North America!

When I bought my car, I even had them check into making this a custom order to have it in the passenger seat, but BMW Canada at that time said that it is NOT available (even as a custom order)!
I always assumed that it was not in the passenger seat due to the air bag sensor - the sensor that detects if someone is sitting in the passenger seat or not.

But, I guess not since my USA 2010 750Li has active seating for both driver and passenger.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 12:55 AM   #5
gorun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: W166 ML63 PP

Quote:

In Europe you get it on both front seats. It did feel odd in the S class when the seat was moving underneath me. I am gonna try and sample it in a BMW...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorun View Post
In Europe you get it on both front seats. It did feel odd in the S class when the seat was moving underneath me. I am gonna try and sample it in a BMW...
It will of course feel different when the seat 'moves'. The only real way you can test it and see if you like it is if you take a multi-hour test drive without getting out of the seat and then turn on the massage feature.

It's the same with massage chairs, some people like them others don't!

I can tell you that I like the feature, but I find it really annoying if I turn it on while on a short trip (e.g. to work, etc)!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 10:10 PM   #7
alex_750li
Rep
Drives: BMW 750Li

+1 for active seats...

I have them in the front and rear and ALL my passengers love them. In the front you basically get a butt massage, and in the rear a back massage. Apart from the obvious benefit of relieving the stress of sitting in a fixed position for a long time, I find that the active seats also improve ventilation when you're running the seat cooler.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 03:17 AM   #8
Jblackbelt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xDrive50i

my 2010 has the active seat on the passenger side as well
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #9
baf3472
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 iX 12 M5 09 750li 00 M5

Quote:

In the US, the passenger active seat was available starting in 2010. Only 2009 model owners like me got shafted and got it only on the drivers side.
Appreciate 0