BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

08-01-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Panamera - off topic

After reading recent "first drives" in the Panamera - it sounds like a great car! I know the back looks a bit strange - but it is growing on me. It certainly will be more exclusive than my new F01.

I look forward to seeing the US introduction at Quail Lodge in a couple weeks. I understand Porsche is bringing over 30 in for this event! Will try to take pics and report back on my drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
hayden
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 750Li

I was a skeptic... but it looks very nice on the inside and the rear is growing on me. Although they list the base as $89,800 for the lowest model... options on all Porsche’s have a way of really adding up. I suspect a nicely equipped car would be in the neighborhood of $120k.

It's hard to beat the value of an F01/F02 considering how much technology you are getting. (Especially with low lease MF that Porsche simply can't touch.)

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 12:20 AM   #3
Spiroman
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Alpina B7

I'd love to do a comparison of the rear headroom and legroom in the 750Li vs. the Panamera - I think I know who would win!

Best regards.

Spiroman
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep
Drives: 525 d

Isn't Panamera more of a 5 series GT competitor?!?!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiroman View Post
I'd love to do a comparison of the rear headroom and legroom in the 750Li vs. the Panamera - I think I know who would win!

Best regards.

Spiroman
I'm driving one on Sunday - will let you know my thoughts compared to our F01/F02's
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 04:00 AM   #6
HK_bimmer
China
Rep
Drives: 1999 BMW 735iL

I really like the front but the back is horrible. Interior is also nice.

I wonder how the 750/760 will stack up to the Panamera in terms of handling and luxury.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
hayden
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_bimmer View Post
I wonder how the 750/760 will stack up to the Panamera in terms of handling and luxury.
I think its fairly safe to say the Panamera will win the handling points. It's a Porsche after all.

Luxury is another story. That is an awful lots of button on the dash of the Panamera... and that's saying something coming from a guy who likes buttons.

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #8
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden View Post
I think its fairly safe to say the Panamera will win the handling points. It's a Porsche after all.

Luxury is another story. That is an awful lots of button on the dash of the Panamera... and that's saying something coming from a guy who likes buttons.
LOL!

I have to agree with you on the amount of buttons. That was also one of the criteria I had for choosing the 750 over the A8 and S550. The amount of buttons in those cars was just too much for my taste. Looking at the Panamera dashboard, it sort of reminds me of the A8... WAY too many buttons!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 12:16 AM   #9
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Panamera Drive-- Awesome Car

I had a chance to drive a 2010 Panamera 4S for about 30 minutes today. First, hats off to Porsche for this car. It raises the bar for performance sports sedans. The event was first class.

Like most people, I had to wait to see the car in person before I knew if I would liked the design - specifically the rear end. To be honest, the car looks fantastic strong and bold in person. It oozes the look and feel of a 911. The lines and bold shoulders on the car is very sporty and is unmistakable Porsche. The car sat lower than I had thought and has a long wheelbase like the F01. The rear design with it's hatchback is unique and fits the overall low slung profile of this car. In fact, on the drive, it is certainly a head turner. People were GAWKING at this car - it looks exotic and drives like an exotic. My wife was noticing all the people checking this car out from her view in the back seat. I was too busy pushing the PDK to it's limit

The interior does have alot of buttons! But if you look at the groupings closely - it is logical and symetrical. I didn't mind the buttons at all. If fact the 5 cluster dash is very cool - with an integrated nav map and scrollable information like the F01/F02. The fit and finish is to die for... The richness of the leathers and materials makes my F01 and M5 feel a bit.... *cough* a bit cheap. The view out of the C pillar, as expected, is poor. The back seat is really nice. I like the two seat GT feel. I am 6'1 and had no problems adjusting the front driver's seat- then sitting in the back comfortably. The headroom was very good. The interior packaging - with it's scooped seat backs and concave seats makes it very roomy. You can also buy up to 4 custom suitcases - painted the same color as the car.

The drive.... I would say this car is balance like an M5 with better agility and steering feel. The steering precision is soooo comfortable that you immediately feel at ease driving the car and the cocoon shape feels very "safe". The steering feel is heavier than the F01 - and is perfect in my opinion for a sedan this size. I wish their steering wheel was a fraction larger - but not as thick as an M wheel. It is still thicker than my F01 with the sport wheel. The car is accelerates in about 4.6 sec and is AWD. I loved the thick exhaust sound. In fact there was a button that electonically controlled the exhaust. Very cool. The torque wsThe car was very nimble and even though it did not have 4 wheel steering like my F01- you can point and shoot this car all over the road. Luckily, we had the Highway 1 route towards Big Sur. Great views in a great car.

In summary, I really enjoyed the Panamera. Some of you may never like the look of the side profile or rear end. But I survived 2 E65 Bangle Butt 7 series and I can tell you that the design is very sporty and elegant. My F01 feels and looks very mainstream and pedestrian to me now.

I think I may get one now...... More to come
Attached Images

Last edited by SpotM5; 08-10-2009 at 12:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 01:52 AM   #10
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Thanks for the update and the pictures Spot

Did they also have the turbo versions or where all those cars 4s models ?
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #11
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
Thanks for the update and the pictures Spot

Did they also have the turbo versions or where all those cars 4s models ?
Your welcome Xdrive. They had the S, 4S and the Turbo. The Turbos were not ready yesterday - as the event officially begins today. I am planning on driving the Turbo on Thursday!

If you have a chance - check them out. I understand dealers will begin to get their test cars in about 5-6 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #12
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden View Post
I was a skeptic... but it looks very nice on the inside and the rear is growing on me. Although they list the base as $89,800 for the lowest model... options on all Porsche’s have a way of really adding up. I suspect a nicely equipped car would be in the neighborhood of $120k.

It's hard to beat the value of an F01/F02 considering how much technology you are getting. (Especially with low lease MF that Porsche simply can't touch.)
I specced out a Panamera S yesterday and I crossed 140K with what I would have liked. I didnt even get through the whole configurator when I decided to stop. 50K over base price is insane.
19 Audi SQ5 (sold), 20 Audi S6 (sold),
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #13
hayden
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPower View Post
I specced out a Panamera S yesterday and I crossed 140K with what I would have liked. I didnt even get through the whole configurator when I decided to stop. 50K over base price is insane.
See what I mean! You have to have some serious self-restraint with that options list...

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #14
135Eye
Accountants have fun 2!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Silber

Spot, great review and thanks for the writeup!

I had a question. Performance aside, from a driving standpoint, what I love about the 7 series is that it is an effortless car which comes in handy after a long day of work. I just slip into it and go, pure comfort and ease. Whereas a car like the Maserati didn't give me the same kind of feeling, it was a beautiful car but not the best everyday kind of car. Im worried the porsche may be similar, what was your take on the everyday drivability and comfort/effortlessness of the car? Just from the friday 5'oclock driving point of view..

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #15
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Eye View Post
Spot, great review and thanks for the writeup!

I had a question. Performance aside, from a driving standpoint, what I love about the 7 series is that it is an effortless car which comes in handy after a long day of work. I just slip into it and go, pure comfort and ease. Whereas a car like the Maserati didn't give me the same kind of feeling, it was a beautiful car but not the best everyday kind of car. Im worried the porsche may be similar, what was your take on the everyday drivability and comfort/effortlessness of the car? Just from the friday 5'oclock driving point of view..

Thanks!
135Eye -

I actually drove the Panamera 4S again on Thursday. I feel that the car is as easy to drive as my F01. The second drive convinced me 100% that I am going to get one. The power, agility, sportiness, comfort and uniqueness sold me. I just sold my M5 today - so I am one step closer..... If you get a chance to drive one when they hit the dealerships in late October - let me know what you think!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 08:32 AM   #16
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Great review Spot. I am craving a stick and something different and unique till the new M6 comes out. This just might hit the spot