BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

05-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Some Glitches.....

Just an update from 2500 miles on the new 7

1. Check engine light came on yesterday///
as always, this is a emissions related thing - or a loose gas cap. I will fill the tank and hopefully it will simply go out. I checked the car messages and it said "all systems ok"

2. iPod freaked out. Today, my ipod froze and did not work. the songs in the idrive screen were scrolling from one song to the next - with no sound. The instrument panel portion operated by the steering wheel rolling dial - did not show the songs on the playlist. Tonight, I rebooted my ipod, wiped it clean, loaded the original software and re synced. hooked it up to my 750 and it works fine. I think when I was playing with the split screen options, something freaked out my ipod and screwed it up.

3. the last source does not always play after you park the car. for example, if you were playing Sirius radio and turned off the car, then restart, it will play the audio from the rear DVD player. I have elmo back there for my 2 yr old and I know that elmo voice all too well.

Hopefully, BMW reads this board and puts a software fix in the next software update....

4. whining noise from the tranny. sometimes it seems that there is a gear drive noise from the drivetrain. the car isnt affected, but the noise is noticable at times.

that's all for tonight! still love the car....
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 11:47 PM   #2
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

SpotM5, as usual, thanks for the update and keep them coming
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 11:58 PM   #3
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
SpotM5, as usual, thanks for the update and keep them coming
thanks XDrive...

any updates on your car? on the ship I hope?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 12:20 AM   #4
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotM5 View Post
thanks XDrive...

any updates on your car? on the ship I hope?
Yep it is (Hint: see my signature )

Unfortunately, my dealer couldn't tell me what boat it's on though

So I did a bit of searching to see what boats left shortly after the car was loaded onto the boat (at least my dealer was able to tell me what day the car was loaded onto a boat).
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 01:55 AM   #5
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

So I did a bit of searching to see what boats left shortly after the car was loaded onto the boat (at least my dealer was able to tell me what day the car was loaded onto a boat).
terrific! I bet you can't wait. Like most of us enthusiasts, I was checking the status very often. I think I knew more than the dealership at times....
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 06:27 AM   #6
riazah
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 750 i and 2007 650 cic

spot m5...sorry to hear about your issues...

2 things on my side so far with a about 1000 miles,lane departure warning malfunction has come on once but went away after i switched off the engine and restarted...music in ipod does not seem to be recognized by idrive if I havent used it for a couple of days..have to reconnect to usb each time ....very annoying..also if you have night vision on you have to look at the lcd display which can be a bit annoying..i guess if there is a warning you will see it on the hud but havent been able to test this
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 09:47 AM   #7
advocado
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 750Li/ 2011 335i conv

Garage List
Quote:

BMW couldn't tell me anything, either. Their website still says "...awaiting transport" (3 1/2 weeks after drop off). So, I called the E.H. Harms people in the U.S. Gave them my name and they were able to tell me my car was shipped on the Glorious Express which departed Bremhaven on May 15th and is due in California on June 7th. Using the ship tracking sites, I have been able to track the ship. I have also confirmed it's scheduled to transit the Panama Canal on May 29th and Port Hueneme shows it on it's schedule for June 7th. Kinda fun...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #8
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
terrific! I bet you can't wait. Like most of us enthusiasts, I was checking the status very often. I think I knew more than the dealership at times....
It's been a ridiculously long wait for me (placed my original order on May 29th 2008!!!).

I know that I DO know more than my dealership about this car. Every time I talk to them about the car THEY learn something new about it!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 05:21 PM   #9
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocado View Post
BMW couldn't tell me anything, either. Their website still says "...awaiting transport" (3 1/2 weeks after drop off). So, I called the E.H. Harms people in the U.S. Gave them my name and they were able to tell me my car was shipped on the Glorious Express which departed Bremhaven on May 15th and is due in California on June 7th. Using the ship tracking sites, I have been able to track the ship. I have also confirmed it's scheduled to transit the Panama Canal on May 29th and Port Hueneme shows it on it's schedule for June 7th. Kinda fun...
Well, I originally thought that my car is going to end up on a W&W boat, but after checking their tracking system (about every 6 hours or more often for two weeks, hehehe), and after I found out from my dealership that my car was already on a boat, I had to go and figure out what other car carriers left the Bremerhaven docks within that time frame and are headed this way.

I'm pretty sure I know what boat the car is on and I also used some of the interesting online tools to track the boats location. It's kinda fun seeing how many boats are where and how fast they are going and in what direction on google maps

If I am correct, the car should arrive at the dock in Halifax on 26th of May (this may have been rescheduled to May 27th as the boat stayed in Rotterdam for a good day). It was fun watching the boat getting pulled into the Rotterdam harbor by a tug boat

And then another 20 days from Halifax to my dealer ...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 12:42 AM   #10
Fastbuck
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F01 740d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
It's been a ridiculously long wait for me (placed my original order on May 29th 2008!!!).
I may have missed this in an earlier thread, but why the long delay? Did you amend your order and effectively lose your build slot?

Fastbuck
2012 F01 740d M Sport Alpine White Oyster/ Oyster
2013 E84 X1 1.8d M Sport Alpine White Black/ Black
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #11
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbuck View Post
I may have missed this in an earlier thread, but why the long delay? Did you amend your order and effectively lose your build slot?
No, I originally placed an order for a X6 xDrive50i fully loaded in May of 2008. My dealership told me that the car would be available in June, then they told me it was going to be July, August, September... You get the picture.

Well it turned out that BMW Canada decided to only offer/introduce the 50i version (the 35i was available I think since February of 2008) as a 2009 model and the official release time would be end of October beginning of November. So my original car was supposed to be build at the end of November and with the Factory shutdown at the end of December and everything else happening at that time, I was looking at and of December, first part of January 2009 for a delivery date. Back in October/November, I heard that the new iDrive was supposed to be made available in the X6 beginning with the March production run. Well if you know the old and the new iDrive system, you know that those two systems are like night and day. The new system blows the old one out of the water. So I asked them to hold my order for the March production run (another 2 month at this point didn't make much of a difference anymore!).

Then at the end of January I got an invitation to see the unveiling of the new 7 series car. I fell in love with the NEW 750 on the spot. So a few days later I went back to my dealership and told them to cancel my X6 order and change it to the 750... and the rest you should probably know (that is if you read all my other posts here in the F01/F02 thread)

So now my new car is somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic on it's way to Halifax...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #12
Fastbuck
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F01 740d M Sport

Garage List
Thanks for the detail xDrive50i. Given your run of luck the boat is likely to stike an iceberg!

Fastbuck
2012 F01 740d M Sport Alpine White Oyster/ Oyster
2013 E84 X1 1.8d M Sport Alpine White Black/ Black
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 10:21 PM   #13
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbuck View Post
Thanks for the detail xDrive50i. Given your run of luck the boat is likely to stike an iceberg!
Thanks, that's all I need!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 12:27 AM   #14
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

as always, this is a emissions related thing - or a loose gas cap. I will fill the tank and hopefully it will simply go out. I checked the car messages and it said "all systems ok"

2. iPod freaked out. Today, my ipod froze and did not work. the songs in the idrive screen were scrolling from one song to the next - with no sound. The instrument panel portion operated by the steering wheel rolling dial - did not show the songs on the playlist. Tonight, I rebooted my ipod, wiped it clean, loaded the original software and re synced. hooked it up to my 750 and it works fine. I think when I was playing with the split screen options, something freaked out my ipod and screwed it up.

3. the last source does not always play after you park the car. for example, if you were playing Sirius radio and turned off the car, then restart, it will play the audio from the rear DVD player. I have elmo back there for my 2 yr old and I know that elmo voice all too well.

Hopefully, BMW reads this board and puts a software fix in the next software update....

4. whining noise from the tranny. sometimes it seems that there is a gear drive noise from the drivetrain. the car isnt affected, but the noise is noticable at times.

update - check engine light still on and the systems still say OK....

I guess I will need to bring it to my dealer. Maybe they have a software update that will fix the entertainment glitches. Will keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 12:29 AM   #15
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, that's all I need!
Your car will be here very soon - I bet you're getting excited!! I can recall back in early March - I was tracking everything like you as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 02:55 AM   #16
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Your car will be here very soon - I bet you're getting excited!! I can recall back in early March - I was tracking everything like you as well.
I figure within the next 10 to 20 days I should get my new car ....

If I would have access to the rail's tracking system (you need to have an authorized account), I would use it to track my cars location right now

Once it get's to the local rail yard, I can track it when the car gets loaded onto the truck that will transport it to my dealership
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 12:35 PM   #17
BMWNA
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

I am with BMW of North America, LLC. Check your inbox for our offer of assistance.
      06-24-2009, 10:20 PM   #18
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW NA Customer Relations View Post
I am with BMW of North America, LLC. Check your inbox for our offer of assistance.
BMW NA - thanks for the email a couple weeks ago when I was on vacation. The car seems to be running fine now with the software reprogram! I believe the whining noise is a normal powertrain noise and did not discuss this w the dealer... yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 11:24 PM   #19
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
BMW NA - thanks for the email a couple weeks ago when I was on vacation. The car seems to be running fine now with the software reprogram! I believe the whining noise is a normal powertrain noise and did not discuss this w the dealer... yet.
Check engine light came on again a couple weeks ago. Been in the dealer for two days now. The fault is the same - fuel tank cap leak... they are testing if there is a leak - but 99% sure it is not. They saw this before in the X6 and it was a battery... Go figure. In any case, the dealer needs to go through all the steps with BMW and it is taking forever........... Nobody else have this issue?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 11:28 PM   #20
bmr760
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C, F90 M5C, G05 X5 40i

Quote:
Check engine light came on again a couple weeks ago. Been in the dealer for two days now. The fault is the same - fuel tank cap leak... they are testing if there is a leak - but 99% sure it is not. They saw this before in the X6 and it was a battery... Go figure. In any case, the dealer needs to go through all the steps with BMW and it is taking forever........... Nobody else have this issue?

Nope.
Sorry for your issues, hope u get it resolved soon

Just be glad it isnt the fuel pump lol

I fear mine is going out soon, im getting the dreaded long cranks again

Last edited by bmr760; 08-20-2009 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 08:24 AM   #21
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
No issues here. Car rides nicely and is very quiet.

After my last 800km+ (500 miles+) trip, the fuel economy has significantly improved.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #22
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

All fixed for now.... The problem was a diagnosis pump for the fuel system. Hopefully this does the trick! My service advisor and technician are terrific.
Appreciate 0