BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

09-23-2009, 12:21 AM   #1
carholic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Perspective View Map not changing day and night views

It was doing it fine last night, showing a beautiful night sky. Tonight, it was showing the daytime sky. I went into settings and made sure it was not on day, not on night, but on automatic. I was able to get to night view when I do split screen and put the map on the right side, but the left side map or a non-split screen map still showed daytime sky.

Any advise?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by carholic View Post
It was doing it fine last night, showing a beautiful night sky. Tonight, it was showing the daytime sky. I went into settings and made sure it was not on day, not on night, but on automatic. I was able to get to night view when I do split screen and put the map on the right side, but the left side map or a non-split screen map still showed daytime sky.

Any advise?

Thanks.
There is a small light sensor on the right hand side of the screen. Make sure that no light shines onto it (e.g. don't use the interior light or map reading light as this may shine onto the sensor).

It may also be a software glitch! So far I haven't had a problem with the day/night switchover. I do like the fact that it does that though, it looks pretty cool
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
carholic
Private First Class
Rep

I love the day and night changes on the perspective map.

No light was shining on it. I even tried to put my finger over it to test it. No effect. However, when I use split screen and have the map on the right side, it shows night time while the map on the left side shows daytime. Having no split screen gets the map to show daytime too.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
hayden
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 750Li

Quote:
I love the day and night changes on the perspective map.

No light was shining on it. I even tried to put my finger over it to test it. No effect. However, when I use split screen and have the map on the right side, it shows night time while the map on the left side shows daytime. Having no split screen gets the map to show daytime too.
A user on bimmerfest was complaining of this same thing. Maybe ask the dealer to load the latest software version?

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #5
Fastbuck
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F01 740d M Sport

Garage List
I must have the same issue as I've never seen it on night view.

Fastbuck
2012 F01 740d M Sport Alpine White Oyster/ Oyster
2013 E84 X1 1.8d M Sport Alpine White Black/ Black
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbuck View Post
I must have the same issue as I've never seen it on night view.
Go into the settings menu when in the map view and change it (force it) into night mode and see what it looks like. I like the fact that it isn't as bright as the day map which helps when driving in the dark

Maybe yours is set to day mode only instead of automatic mode?!?
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 01:25 AM   #7
Fastbuck
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
Go into the settings menu when in the map view and change it (force it) into night mode and see what it looks like. I like the fact that it isn't as bright as the day map which helps when driving in the dark

Maybe yours is set to day mode only instead of automatic mode?!?
I set mine to Automatic the day I picked up the car. I really don't see any difference in the view either at day or night. I keep the map view on full screen 3D perspective pretty much most of the time.

I checked the manual last night too, it doesn't really go into the feature in any depth whatsoever.

Fastbuck
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 02:14 AM   #8
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I set mine to Automatic the day I picked up the car. I really don't see any difference in the view either at day or night. I keep the map view on full screen 3D perspective pretty much most of the time.

I checked the manual last night too, it doesn't really go into the feature in any depth whatsoever.
Hmm strange. Mine changes colors and gets noticeably darker when it switches into night mode. You can definitely tell the difference! Have you had a map update done on yours yet?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #9
carholic
Private First Class
Rep

Maybe its a software issue. I have the setting in Automatic. I can set split screen and have maps displayed on both screens in perspective view. At night time, the left map will show a daytime sky and the right map will show a night time sky. If I turn off split screen, then the map shows daytime sky. I even tried to change the setting to Night, and the left side map or non-splitscreen map still shows daytime sky.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Maybe its a software issue. I have the setting in Automatic. I can set split screen and have maps displayed on both screens in perspective view. At night time, the left map will show a daytime sky and the right map will show a night time sky. If I turn off split screen, then the map shows daytime sky. I even tried to change the setting to Night, and the left side map or non-splitscreen map still shows daytime sky.
Sounds like a software glitch. What version do you have loaded?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 01:15 PM   #11
Fastbuck
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Have you had a map update done on yours yet?
No, it hasn't been near the dealer since I picked it up in March.

Fastbuck
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #12
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
No, it hasn't been near the dealer since I picked it up in March.
BMW has released a bunch of software upgrades since then, maybe you should get in touch with your dealers service department...

Software upgrades not just for the maps but also the rest of the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 02:42 PM   #13
Fastbuck
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
BMW has released a bunch of software upgrades since then, maybe you should get in touch with your dealers service department...

Software upgrades not just for the maps but also the rest of the car.
Will do. Any idea what things they address? Over here I'll neeed to come with problems to resolve as they won't just perform the SW upgrades on request.

Fastbuck
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #14
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Will do. Any idea what things they address? Over here I'll neeed to come with problems to resolve as they won't just perform the SW upgrades on request.
Not entirely sure what they addressed with the different software upgrades/updates.

So far I had two software upgrades since I picked up the car at the beginning of June and getting another one done today.

The last one I got (maybe 3 weeks ago) was primarily for map updates, but they updated the entire car with new software (had to leave the car overnight for them to finish it). The dealership is only about a 10 min drive from my place so it's no big deal for me to leave the car with them. They always provide me with a loaner.

I don't have any issues with my car but since I had the car in the shop to get the trunk chrome strip replaced with the one that has the 'BMW individual' inscription on it, they asked me if I would mind if they performed a software update on the car?

Just got a call from them. They told me that they are going to do the software upgrade over night (apparently this takes a few hours). Since they gave me a loaner, it's not a big deal, so I'll go and pick up the car tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 03:58 PM   #15
Fastbuck
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Thanks xDrive. If you get any further info. when you pick the car up, I'd appreciate an update.

Fastbuck
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 04:08 PM   #16
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks xDrive. If you get any further info. when you pick the car up, I'd appreciate an update.
I'll see what I can find out and post it.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 09:00 AM   #17
dxbf02
Rep
Drives: '09 750Li

I have the same problem....pretty frustrating...

Did a software updfate fix this?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 12:02 AM   #18
carholic
Private First Class
Rep

Really? I guess I am glad its a common problem so maybe BMW will work on a solution soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 12:26 AM   #19
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Really? I guess I am glad its a common problem so maybe BMW will work on a solution soon.
I never had any issues with the NAV system changing between day and night mode. It works every time as it should. Mind you I had (I think) 3 software updates done so far since I got my car. There was nothing wrong with the car as far as I could tell, but every time I went to the dealer to talk to them, they offered to update the software for me... So I can't complain, they keep my car up to date

Maybe it has something to do with the map software version you have loaded or maybe it's a combination of settings.

I keep my map in full screen view (no split screen) with the 'map direction of travel' view most of the time. Sometimes I switch it into perspective mode, but for the times when it changes into night mode, I always had it in the map direction of travel mode.

It could be related to the options you have enabled or disabled... What view and/or features do you have enabled/disabled on your NAV system?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 12:30 AM   #20
carholic
Private First Class
Rep

I have it on full screen perspective mode. It will not change to night view even if I go into the settings and choose "Night" or "Automatic". I can only get night view if I split screen and put the map on the right side.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 05:30 AM   #21
dxbf02
Rep

Quote:
I have it on full screen perspective mode. It will not change to night view even if I go into the settings and choose "Night" or "Automatic". I can only get night view if I split screen and put the map on the right side.
+1. What version are you running?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 05:42 PM   #22
dxbf02
Rep

I FINALLY figured it out. Got the software update done last night, and it still had the same problem.

So played with it all day today, and I had the "Traffic Info Map" option enabled. I unchecked it, and voila, it works like a charm. THANK GOODNESS! It was bugging me like crazy, but now the pain is over

Btw, the software update added some new stuff to on the HUD, etc. Funny thing, I have an "effecient dynamics" logo and a battery meter next to my fuel consumption gauge. I'm pretty sure they got that wrong somehow. Will just leave it as is for now. I need to enjoy the car. 21" wheels are on too..will take pics tomorrow.
Appreciate 0