BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-27-2016, 02:26 PM   #23
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I am speaking of the entire EU as a whole not just GB... I am not sure how anyone could think that the assimilation of 30 different countries with different languages, banking systems, transportation systems, roads, cultures and economic status would be a good idea? At its core, perhaps an OK idea... in reality, an awful idea that has caused both massive emigration, immigration problems, currency issues, cost of living issues... unequal access to markets and favoritism of the wealthier nations. The moment a country accepts the Euro, everything gets more expensive, earnings for most individuals do not go up... simply because one cannot compare the economic prowess of a nation like Germany to say perhaps Poland that cannot as easily accept all of these demanded / required changes. I think the UK and its people got tired of this...

two words why it was a good idea: free trade.

The only major issue is the lack of control of governmental budgets and debt loads. That was the issue EU never resolved upon forming the union and still obviously have problems with.

All other "issues" you brought up are the effects of the budgetary issues.
      06-27-2016, 02:27 PM   #24
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
two words why it was a good idea:

free trade.
We know how well that works between USA and Canada
Appreciate 2
      06-27-2016, 02:35 PM   #25
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Oh God... methinks this needs to go over to politics. I only clicked because I thought Brad and Angelina were getting a divorce.

(Wait, I may have already used that one.... dammit.)
      06-27-2016, 02:35 PM   #26
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
pretty well?

There are winners and losers in both countries. What'd you expect, winners all around? Can you please elaborate on why NAFTA hasn't been good?
      06-27-2016, 02:48 PM   #27
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Canada is an export country, and our main trading partner is the USA. So how does it not help us?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 03:03 PM   #28
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Canada is an export country, and our main trading partner is the USA. So how does it not help us?
From a consumer point of view we pay quite a bit more for the same products in Canada even on products manufactured in the US.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 03:10 PM   #29
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
From a consumer point of view we pay quite a bit more for the same products in Canada even on products manufactured in the US.
That has nothing to do with NAFTA.

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 06-27-2016 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 03:25 PM   #30
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
pretty well?

There are winners and losers in both countries. What'd you expect, winners all around? Can you please elaborate on why NAFTA hasn't been good?
False. America is full of winners, Canada full of losers.

Appreciate 17
      06-27-2016, 03:27 PM   #31
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Thats cause your dollar is worth less than ours.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 03:27 PM   #32
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
False. America is full of winners, Canada full of losers.

Haha... love that picture... someone needs to give it a white trump wig now. So great.
      06-27-2016, 03:41 PM   #33
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
You're going to have to elaborate...are you talking about this on a purchasing power perspective? (as a % of income or standardize against some common in both countries?)
Or straight conversion perspective? (Product A after currency conversion)

Also what consumer perspective are you taking about? I am assuming as a Canadian consumer, you're purchasing Canadian and US goods that you're making this statement? And you're saying what is more expensive? Everything? or just US goods?

What about government taxes? Are you netting taxes or pre-tax? Taxes play a huge part of consumer costs. I am going to have to say mostly likely the effects you're seeing is an aspect of Canadian taxes.

Can you provide one example...b/c your claim is too general to verify.
      06-27-2016, 03:42 PM   #34
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Exit camp: A thinly veiled anti-immigration campaign filled with misinformation.

The entire set of misinformation is just ironic:

The regions that voted to leave are going to the be most hurt by an exit, as they are heavy manufacturing and exports focused industries.
They were also the regions that get the most in subsidies from, you guessed it, the EU. They voted to cut off their noses.

I think it is going to be an interesting few weeks for the markets, and a very interesting few months for Britain. It would not surprise me if in the end they never actually leave the EU.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2016, 03:45 PM   #35
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
My thoughts?
Attached Images

06-27-2016, 03:50 PM   #36
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Don't know long term implications but I will say that UK banks are going to SUFFER. Check out HSBC and Barclays
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 03:51 PM   #37
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
They were also the regions that get the most in subsidies from, you guessed it, the EU. They voted to cut off their noses.

I think it is going to be an interesting few weeks for the markets, and a very interesting few months for Britain. It would not surprise me if in the end they never actually leave the EU.
oh yes, I forgot about that. The regions that tended to get EU development money and investments tended to vote exit.

There's a way UK can turn it around....and the EU leaders themselves are divided into two camps too.

Germany wants to give UK ample time to backtrack and for the UK political process to work itself out on what degree of exit, if anything at all, they will partake.

France wants UK to invoke the exit immediately and negotiate terms that disincentives future exits.
      06-27-2016, 03:52 PM   #38
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHouseWon View Post
Don't know long term implications but I will say that UK banks are going to SUFFER. Check out HSBC and Barclays
a direct result of laws that regulate where and how an international can do business in another country. UK banking industry is probably one of the largest service sectors in the economy, and its footprint dominates European banking.
      06-27-2016, 05:23 PM   #39
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace
Quote:
I am speaking of the entire EU as a whole not just GB... I am not sure how anyone could think that the assimilation of 30 different countries with different languages, banking systems, transportation systems, roads, cultures and economic status would be a good idea? At its core, perhaps an OK idea... in reality, an awful idea that has caused both massive emigration, immigration problems, currency issues, cost of living issues... unequal access to markets and favoritism of the wealthier nations. The moment a country accepts the Euro, everything gets more expensive, earnings for most individuals do not go up... simply because one cannot compare the economic prowess of a nation like Germany to say perhaps Poland that cannot as easily accept all of these demanded / required changes. I think the UK and its people got tired of this...

two words why it was a good idea: free trade.

The only major issue is the lack of control of governmental budgets and debt loads. That was the issue EU never resolved upon forming the union and still obviously have problems with.

All other "issues" you brought up are the effects of the budgetary issues.
This "free trade" that you speak of... please elaborate on how it was not free before the union, and while doing so make sure you mention how it benefited everyone involved... not just the wealthy nations...

and while we r at it... please help explain why the base cost of a car is different in nearly every euro zone country... VAT and local taxes excluded?
      06-27-2016, 05:30 PM   #40
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
This "free trade" that you speak of... please elaborate on how it was not free before the union, and while doing so make sure you mention how it benefited everyone involved... not just the wealthy nations...
Who ever said free trade benefitted everyone? When there are barriers to trade such as tariffs, currency rate fluctuations, restrictions of workers' movements, different regulatory and legal regimes, that's NOT free trade.

I don't have any stuff on EU's union, but here are some reading materials how on net NAFTA was better for America and everyone. This is just effects of a similar close economic integration before free trade pacts, and US/Mexico/Canada doesn't have integration of monetary policy and workforce travel. There are benefits of just removed trade tariffs.

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/a...utweigh-costs/
http://www.economist.com/news/leader...-deeper-better

I'm sorry, if your or your family's jobs were effected my it moving to Mexico or Canada, sorry, that's just how free trade works. Perhaps learn to code?

American core competencies isn't making widgets on the cheap. It's providing higher value services

Last edited by Flying Ace; 06-27-2016 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 05:33 PM   #41
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace
Quote:
who ever said free trade benefitted everyone?
Then we can agree that this does not stand w the basis for creating an economic union... it benefits some and doesnt benefit others... especially when u try to equalize markets that are not remotely close... this is bound to disgruntle some parties... why UK beats me, because I doubt this decision had much to do with economics and more with immigration, but the Union as a whole has massive faults...
      06-27-2016, 05:47 PM   #42
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Then we can agree that this does not stand w the basis for creating an economic union... it benefits some and doesnt benefit others... especially when u try to equalize markets that are not remotely close... this is bound to disgruntle some parties... why UK beats me, because I doubt this decision had much to do with economics and more with immigration, but the Union as a whole has massive faults...
I disagree...I am saying free trade on net benefits everyone. A integrated economic union only further enhances free trade, with common legal and travel policies, other laws governing business rules and common currency. What doesn't work for the EU is the damn monetary policy and budgets of each country is still uncontrolled by the ECB.

On the jobs losses, people will be left behind, and its up to government policies to retrain and reeducate the displaced workforce.
      06-27-2016, 05:58 PM   #43
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Who ever said free trade benefitted everyone? When there are barriers to trade such as tariffs, currency rate fluctuations, restrictions of workers' movements, different regulatory and legal regimes, that's NOT free trade.

I don't have any stuff on EU's union, but here are some reading materials how on net NAFTA was better for America and everyone. This is just effects of a similar close economic integration before free trade pacts, and US/Mexico/Canada doesn't have integration of monetary policy and workforce travel. There are benefits of just removed trade tariffs.

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/a...utweigh-costs/
http://www.economist.com/news/leader...-deeper-better

I'm sorry, if your or your family's jobs were effected my it moving to Mexico or Canada, sorry, that's just how free trade works. Perhaps learn to code?

American core competencies isn't making widgets on the cheap. It's providing higher value services
I've got so much to say that my keyboard literally doesn't have enough characters...

The part that you fail to understand is that anything and I mean anything can be outsourced, there may be minor legal and medical exceptions but as a whole, nearly everything can be outsourced for pennies on the dollar. You mention coding, which is arguably one of the easiest things to outsource that both China and India will gladly do for you fractions that we will... or perhaps the AI bots that are starting to code for themselves and a prediction for an over abundance of SW engineers will soon hit... or the fact that many corporate / economic leader says that College Education will soon have little value... It is up to the individual nations to incentivize their population to stay, do business with the country, increase their own manufacturing and be as independent as possible... this is what truly allows a nation to grow... the further we go up the former direction, the deeper trouble we get in... a European Union has basically allowed any individual in any member nation to go work in any nation no questions asked.... now what do you suppose this will do the poorer off nations?... sry, it's not an economic union... its an agreement that works to the favor of the wealthy
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2016, 06:02 PM   #44
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

JPMorgan Conference Call on ramifications of Brexit: 888-562-5418, Password 95126
Appreciate 2