BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-29-2016, 12:31 PM   #45
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

but doesn't like $45/hr of that go to union dues???
Appreciate 2
      06-29-2016, 12:48 PM   #46
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

There's still hope....it's looking like the Senate is either unsure or they feel they are being one-upped so they may not approve it tomorrow....

It is rather odd, for a state to go from 49th in the nation in state gas taxes, up to 7th.

What gets lost is nobody wants to do anything better, so the answer is to increase taxes.

Folks in Europe think our taxes are cheap. Maybe they are relatively speaking. But when was the last time they drove on a road for < 10 miles, and paid $16 or more in tolls?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 12:49 PM   #47
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
wait wait wait....$60/hour?! That comes out to $120k a year. And you're telling me that's not enough money to pay someone to patch a hole on a 90 degree day? 80% of the staff at my job doesn't even get paid over $100k, in CA...and $60/hour is too little?

If I get fired from my job, I think I know what I want to do...
Oh you got me, the guy with the shovel is probably $80....
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 12:52 PM   #48
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Oh you got me, the guy with the shovel is probably $80....
Which guy with the shovel? Guy with shovel on his phone? Guy sitting next to shovel? Guy laying down saying "fuck it" and taking a nap with the shovel?
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2016, 12:55 PM   #49
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Which guy with the shovel? Guy with shovel on his phone? Guy sitting next to shovel? Guy laying down saying "fuck it" and taking a nap with the shovel?
It's the union guy who represents the guy supervising the guy next to the shovel that the other guy is napping with saying, "fuck it".
      06-29-2016, 12:59 PM   #50
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
It's the union guy who represents the guy supervising the guy next to the shovel that the other guy is napping with saying, "fuck it".
...and just to clarify, all those supervisor guys make $80/hour?
The guy with the shovel filling the hole makes $60/hour...
      06-29-2016, 03:32 PM   #51
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
here in NJ. That pretty much ****!

What is driving this increase, I jump over to NJ to fill up lots of time since it is $0.20 less than PA. I always been told that NJ is less since they pump for you and the insurance costs are way less than PA which allows self serving and idiot who causes accidents at gas pumps.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 06:32 PM   #52
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
What is driving this increase, I jump over to NJ to fill up lots of time since it is $0.20 less than PA. I always been told that NJ is less since they pump for you and the insurance costs are way less than PA which allows self serving and idiot who causes accidents at gas pumps.

I'm always amazed at what people will believe.

Gas tax in PA - 50.4 cents per gallon
NJ - until now - 14.5

Then add 23 cents per gallon = 37.5 cents per gallon (for the group unable to add).
      06-29-2016, 06:46 PM   #53
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
No offense, but I always laugh at people who do this. Unless it's on the way, saving $.20/gal is at most like $3 and some change. Not to mention time and gas lost to travel to "save" the 20 cents just to wind up not paying like what, $2 bucks in taxes? So about $10 bucks a month? If someone's going to pinch pennies like that, I'd say cut down 4 cups of coffee in a month or bring lunch to work ONE day.

Commuting between NY/NJ makes sense because all the hudson river crossings have gas stations on the jersey side. Or crossing NJ borders on the way
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 06:57 PM   #54
Soccerplr
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi sedan msport

NJ always finds a way to raise taxes somewhere, specially our well connected governor fat Phuk. we literally pay the highest in property tax, toll roads and I think even our income tax is one of the highest like wtf. We pay all this money to get it up the rear.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 07:09 PM   #55
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerplr View Post
NJ always finds a way to raise taxes somewhere, specially our well connected governor fat Phuk. we literally pay the highest in property tax, toll roads and I think even our income tax is one of the highest like wtf. We pay all this money to get it up the rear.
All that money, and the holland tunnel is still a piece of shit 2 lane tube. The merges on both sides is a complete assfuckery. The only improvement done in the last two decades is the LED lighting! That must've been an expensive project where each diode is $1 million, because you know, it has to be good enough to stand up to the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 06:42 AM   #56
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
All that money, and the holland tunnel is still a piece of shit 2 lane tube. The merges on both sides is a complete assfuckery. The only improvement done in the last two decades is the LED lighting! That must've been an expensive project where each diode is $1 million, because you know, it has to be good enough to stand up to the exhaust.
At least you get 4G inside!

One thing I have always remarked....the Holland is 9 lanes into 2, the Lincoln is 12 into 3, it never stops, and there is never a question of who goes next, 100% alternate merging.

Go down to Philly, and look at the merging on 476 or 76, it's ridiculous. You see complete stoppage and cars at a >= 45 degree angle trying to cut in at the beginning of the onramps.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 06:51 AM   #57
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

First of all, it isn't 20 cents, it's 40 on regular, and more on premium.

I love the arguments against saving money. There is truth to the idiom that people who have more overall save more and spend less, and those who don't have much, spend.

At a bbq last Sun. I totally forgot that one of our in-laws are filthy rich, they don't act it and are unassuming, drive a RAV4.

$10/mo.? 40 cents/gal times 16 gal = ~$6.40 per tank. If a person works in NJ and lives in PA, and uses their car on weekends, it could easily be 6 tanks per month. Would you be willing to get off your a** to take $30-$40/mo. off your cable bill?

I remember there was some dude recently who was so arrogant (some may argue ******) that he said he uses a debit card to buy gas at Costco, couldn't be bothered with saving 4% by using a Costco branded credit card (how about the g** part where you get out and enter your PIN while the attendant surfs your shoulder [in NJ]). Why that's *******, it's like by lifting your little pinkie, you can save 4% off the purchase, but you are so rich you don't need to.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2016, 07:38 AM   #58
SDH
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
In other news, the US still has the cheapest gas prices in the world.
Not quite, somewhere near 30th cheapest in the world

http://www.globalpetrolprices.com/gasoline_prices/
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 08:18 AM   #59
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerplr View Post
Only in NJ do you have to pay to get raped in the ass.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 08:18 AM   #60
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
First of all, it isn't 20 cents, it's 40 on regular, and more on premium.

I love the arguments against saving money. There is truth to the idiom that people who have more overall save more and spend less, and those who don't have much, spend.

At a bbq last Sun. I totally forgot that one of our in-laws are filthy rich, they don't act it and are unassuming, drive a RAV4.

$10/mo.? 40 cents/gal times 16 gal = ~$6.40 per tank. If a person works in NJ and lives in PA, and uses their car on weekends, it could easily be 6 tanks per month. Would you be willing to get off your a** to take $30-$40/mo. off your cable bill?

I remember there was some dude recently who was so arrogant (some may argue ******) that he said he uses a debit card to buy gas at Costco, couldn't be bothered with saving 4% by using a Costco branded credit card (how about the g** part where you get out and enter your PIN while the attendant surfs your shoulder [in NJ]). Why that's *******, it's like by lifting your little pinkie, you can save 4% off the purchase, but you are so rich you don't need to.

I agree if it is on your way or somewhat close it makes sense to buy gas where it is cheapest but as it gets further out of the way the less sense it makes.

I lived in TN and people would driver over to GA to buy gas because it was only about 5-10 miles. Even if your time is worth nothing, most cars, driving 10 miles over and 10 miles back is getting close to using a gallon of gas and killing almost all of the savings.

With the NJ gas tax increase the prices should become very similar and not worth any extra driving. In some ways this will help PA, both for increased taxes (as more people don't fill up in NJ) and the people selling gas there.
      06-30-2016, 08:35 AM   #61
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I agree if it is on your way or somewhat close it makes sense to buy gas where it is cheapest but as it gets further out of the way the less sense it makes.

I lived in TN and people would driver over to GA to buy gas because it was only about 5-10 miles. Even if your time is worth nothing, most cars, driving 10 miles over and 10 miles back is getting close to using a gallon of gas and killing almost all of the savings.

With the NJ gas tax increase the prices should become very similar and not worth any extra driving. In some ways this will help PA, both for increased taxes (as more people don't fill up in NJ) and the people selling gas there.
I'm more hopeful it's not going to pass the Senate now....should be confirmed at 15:00 EST. And it isn't that they don't want a 23 cent tax, they do. They just agree that the reduce the sales tax to 6% 1/1/18 is bogus. Actually, they don't want to reduce the sales tax at all. Whatever the case may be, the tax bill not being passed is in everyone's best interest who may live near NJ but not in NJ, or work in NJ...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 09:30 AM   #62
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
No offense, but I always laugh at people who do this. Unless it's on the way, saving $.20/gal is at most like $3 and some change. Not to mention time and gas lost to travel to "save" the 20 cents just to wind up not paying like what, $2 bucks in taxes? So about $10 bucks a month? If someone's going to pinch pennies like that, I'd say cut down 4 cups of coffee in a month or bring lunch to work ONE day.

Commuting between NY/NJ makes sense because all the hudson river crossings have gas stations on the jersey side. Or crossing NJ borders on the way
I go into NJ enough to make it worth filling up on the return path, and the delta on premium if closer to $0.50. so it does add up over time. The only issue is you can not fill up at the border station their price is about the same as PA, so you have to go into NJ a ways to get the cost advantage. SO jumping to the border is not worth it unless your already there.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 09:33 AM   #63
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro
Quote:

I go into NJ enough to make it worth filling up on the return path, and the delta on premium if closer to $0.50. so it does add up over time. The only issue is you can not fill up at the border station their price is about the same as PA, so you have to go into NJ a ways to get the cost advantage. SO jumping to the border is not worth it unless your already there.
Yeah exactly thats what Im trying to say. Im taking about those who express their satisfaction of going out of their way to find the cheapest gas station and filling up there
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 09:45 AM   #64
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah exactly thats what Im trying to say. Im taking about those who express their satisfaction of going out of their way to find the cheapest gas station and filling up there
How about this one....I have never gone to a Costco except at the extreme like 30 min. before closing where there was no line for gas. In NJ being full serve, the lines are super long. In NorCal and SoCal, even self serve had lines, also Toronto.

My policy is I only do costco if I'm empty. But when I think about it, even if it's 8 cents cheaper and you can get 22 gal like in my wife's car, round it to 20, is it worth $1.60 for your time? In a way, probably not. Yet the lines for Costco gas are long...

I believe, that human nature being what it is, they take satisfaction in not paying the full price. At Disney, anything you can get off of $170/day for a ticket, makes a person feel better (wife gets them free so that's certainly a feel good). Even on business, I hate having my employer pay $500 more just because I had to come back Sat. instead of Friday, and this is coach. We don't all act 100% rationally at all times, sometimes it's about the way a person feels. And imho the richer one is, the more one cares about money. Put it this way, I happen to know personally, how rich people (who have a lear 75) feel about repeatedly paying $900+ for new iPads and iPhones due to loss.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 09:50 AM   #65
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How about this one....I have never gone to a Costco except at the extreme like 30 min. before closing where there was no line for gas. In NJ being full serve, the lines are super long. In NorCal and SoCal, even self serve had lines, also Toronto.

My policy is I only do costco if I'm empty. But when I think about it, even if it's 8 cents cheaper and you can get 22 gal like in my wife's car, round it to 20, is it worth $1.60 for your time? In a way, probably not. Yet the lines for Costco gas are long...

I believe, that human nature being what it is, they take satisfaction in not paying the full price. At Disney, anything you can get off of $170/day for a ticket, makes a person feel better (wife gets them free so that's certainly a feel good). Even on business, I hate having my employer pay $500 more just because I had to come back Sat. instead of Friday, and this is coach. We don't all act 100% rationally at all times, sometimes it's about the way a person feels. And imho the richer one is, the more one cares about money. Put it this way, I happen to know personally, how rich people (who have a lear 75) feel about repeatedly paying $900+ for new iPads and iPhones due to loss.
The costco at near Clifton is a clusterfuck all the time, Whenever I'm up there grabbing a cup of Starbucks and leave through the back of the strip mall where Costco is, huge lines. I just use the shell right before the entrance to the mall on rt3, it's actually one of the few stations that does not rape you on the grade gap (some to the tune of 90cents) and it's also a shell!

Yeah, the military tickets for Disney World is $196 if you stay at Shades of Green, or it's $10 more at the gate. It's a 4 day pass with park hopper option. That's like 50% off
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 01:59 PM   #66
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

The tax isn't going into effect tomorrow after all, the Senate snubbed Chris Christie

http://nj1015.com/breaking-no-gas-ta...-senator-says/

It's not over because the Senate does want to increase the gas tax, just not the way bill A12 wants to do it. So it ain't over. But what a snub. Happy July 4th Governor!
Appreciate 0