BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Closed Thread

10-11-2016, 07:25 PM   #1
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
BMW CEO: Electrification of the BMW portfolio is a marathon, not a sprint

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW CEO: Electrification of the BMW portfolio is a marathon, not a sprint
COMMENTS

Speaking with Bloomberg News in Santa Monica CA at an event celebrating BMW's centenary, BMW CEO Harold Krueger made several interesting comments about the future of BMW and BMW i.

Mr Krueger identified 3 major drivers or hurdles that help advance adoption of electric vehicles, (1) range, (2) electric infrastructure and (3) pricing. The implication of pointing to these features is that he probably believes the place BMW should be focusing on in the future is in regards to those 3 factors.

He also mentions that Phase 1 for BMW was the creation of BMW i and that now we are entering Phase 2 where the standard BMW portfolio will become electrified as we have seen with the eDrive models joining the X5, 3 series and now 5 series lineups.

Don't forget, even BMW M is now open to electrification, so presumably the entire lineup from top to bottom will see electrification at some point.

Mr Krueger makes the point to say this game is not a sprint but a marathon, so the process of electric adoption will certainly take a long time

Source: Bloomberg News

10-11-2016, 07:39 PM   #2
thebatman
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M

Bmw moving towards hybrids and then slowly full electric in next 10 years.
And also....first!!!
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #3
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Electric turbos FTW!!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 08:34 PM   #4
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
If you bought saayyy a new 1995 e36 M3, kept it 20 years, and tomorrow decided to trade it in for a new M3, it would be relatively the same car. By that I mean piston front-engine, RWD, stick shift sedan.

If you kept that F80 for just half the time and traded it in, the M3 you replace it with could very well be none of those things I described. Quite an amazing time we live in.
      10-12-2016, 12:02 AM   #5
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Don't tell that to Elon Musk
      10-12-2016, 05:52 AM   #6
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor///M
Electric turbos FTW!!
This!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 06:19 AM   #7
e90-328i
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i RWD!

Will we debate on which P/W or P/H is better? OEM Or aftermarket?
(Performance whine - the noise that electric motors produce as they are rotating
performance hum - the buzzing/humming sound of a strong electrical field)
Lol
      10-12-2016, 07:18 AM   #8
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Range and infrastructure are serious problems. Actual range is much less than quoted range and most hotels don't have charging facilities which means you have to arrive with enough charge left to get to the next charging facility. Anything other than driving around town and routine commuting is a pain.
      10-12-2016, 08:33 AM   #9
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver
Range and infrastructure are serious problems. Actual range is much less than quoted range and most hotels don't have charging facilities which means you have to arrive with enough charge left to get to the next charging facility. Anything other than driving around town and routine commuting is a pain.
Agreed. The #1 reason by far people buy tesla is range. Everything else is secondary.
      10-12-2016, 09:40 AM   #10
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c63er View Post
Agreed. The #1 reason by far people buy tesla is range. Everything else is secondary.

A friend with a Model S had to stop at a supercharger in Columbus, halfway from Houston to an Austin suburb where he would be at a hotel without a plug. He needed enough charge left to get to San Marcos for another supercharger. It's 180 miles from Houston to the Austin destination.

Rated range is achieved at 60 mph without the air running. About half of the route has 75 mph speed limits with traffic moving at 79 mph. It was sunny with temperatures in the high 90's. A few months later his wife hit a curb and damaged the front suspension. It almost 2 months to get parts.

Meanwhile, Germany is pushing for all zero emission cars by 2030. Progress in improving energy density of current battery technology has been slow. Tesla said it was an enormous task to go from 90 kWh to 100 in the latest souped up version of the D.

What is the owner of a 10 year old electric car supposed to do when the battery is spent?
      10-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #11
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:

A friend with a Model S had to stop at a supercharger in Columbus, halfway from Houston to an Austin suburb where he would be at a hotel without a plug. He needed enough charge left to get to San Marcos for another supercharger. It's 180 miles from Houston to the Austin destination.

Rated range is achieved at 60 mph without the air running. About half of the route has 75 mph speed limits with traffic moving at 79 mph. It was sunny with temperatures in the high 90's. A few months later his wife hit a curb and damaged the front suspension. It almost 2 months to get parts.

Meanwhile, Germany is pushing for all zero emission cars by 2030. Progress in improving energy density of current battery technology has been slow. Tesla said it was an enormous task to go from 90 kWh to 100 in the latest souped up version of the D.

What is the owner of a 10 year old electric car supposed to do when the battery is spent?
I should clarify. They chose tesla over OTHER electric cars because of range. Tesla is the king of electric cars because of range.

Trying to compare electric range to gasoline range is still a losing battle in 2016.
      10-12-2016, 11:37 AM   #12
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Go full electric or stay gas, hybrids carrying around two separate power systems is silly.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 11:40 AM   #13
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Quote:

Depends on what battery tech you speak of.

A Prius has a 10 year life on battery packs where the i3 has a 20 year life span on batteries.

Also note that the 20 year span on the i3 batteries means the charge has finally hit minimum of 75%.

So in 20 years you can still drive but your batteries will only hold 75% charge if that bothers you, theirs the option to upgrade the batteries for more mileage which will cost you for the i3 anywhere from 5 to 8k dollars with their battery upgrade program. Also batteries may be cheaper then as the tech becomes cheaper so who knows.

A well maintained battery can last a very long time, these are not your common lead acid batteries that start your car.

If the 5k to 8k scares you, it shouldn't, I have already spent that this year on maintenance in our X5 to keep it running in tip top shape.

Overall the i3 is so far the cheapest BMW I have ever had in terms of maintenance costs. Only thing you have to do is the brake fluid flush every other year.
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2016, 01:02 PM   #14
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

You do not buy Electric cars, you lease them.

In 10 years there will be many cheap battery options regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
...What is the owner of a 10 year old electric car supposed to do when the battery is spent?
Appreciate 2
Viffermike1753.00
///M TOWN16071.00
      10-12-2016, 02:21 PM   #15
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
You do not buy Electric cars, you lease them.

In 10 years there will be many cheap battery options regardless.
This. Think about where battery tech was in 2006. The second-gen Prius that blew the lid off the commercial viability of hybrids was only two years old. Honda was still making the first-gen two-seat Insight with the rear-wheel well covers (an SO of mine bought one; first thing she did was have me upgrade the stereo on it for her. Fun little car, though meggggaslloooooowwww). Smartphones were just becoming a thing, and battery life SUCKED. Many laptops still had heavy-ass detachable rechargeable packs and Bat Phone-sized charger warts. Many rechargeable consumer appliances we take for granted now simply weren't around.

And it all was expensive.

In 10 years, batteries will be cheaper, lighter, less bulky, more efficient, and -- and I feel this is the kicker -- far more easily replaced. The problem isn't going to be the engineering or the cost. The problem will become the environmental impact of making all of them.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16071.00
      10-12-2016, 08:18 PM   #16
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Depends on what battery tech you speak of.

A Prius has a 10 year life on battery packs where the i3 has a 20 year life span on batteries.

Also note that the 20 year span on the i3 batteries means the charge has finally hit minimum of 75%.

So in 20 years you can still drive but your batteries will only hold 75% charge if that bothers you, theirs the option to upgrade the batteries for more mileage which will cost you for the i3 anywhere from 5 to 8k dollars with their battery upgrade program. Also batteries may be cheaper then as the tech becomes cheaper so who knows.

A well maintained battery can last a very long time, these are not your common lead acid batteries that start your car.

If the 5k to 8k scares you, it shouldn't, I have already spent that this year on maintenance in our X5 to keep it running in tip top shape.

Overall the i3 is so far the cheapest BMW I have ever had in terms of maintenance costs. Only thing you have to do is the brake fluid flush every other year.
20 years is impressive and should solve the battery replacement problem.
      10-12-2016, 08:20 PM   #17
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post

In 10 years, batteries will be cheaper, lighter, less bulky, more efficient, and -- and I feel this is the kicker -- far more easily replaced. The problem isn't going to be the engineering or the cost. The problem will become the environmental impact of making all of them.
This is what policy makers believe, but over the last 5 years progress has been very slow.
      10-13-2016, 07:04 AM   #18
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
They put a new battery in the car for a fraction of the cost of the original battery and for once, ever, increase the value of their EV by doing so.

Also, your friend doesn't sound like the typical Tesla owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Go full electric or stay gas, hybrids carrying around two separate power systems is silly.
I thought the same for a few months until I realized people hate change so much that they will require hybrid before going full BEV. What does it matter? As long as they eventually get to full BEV, that is all that matters.

-----

I love my i3, never thought I would give up my 6MT RWD e46 ZHP, but I watched the i3 from concept to production, took a drive in one when they toured US dealerships, and then took one home for an extended test drive (weekend) several months later. I hesitated due to price but when BMW started inflating residuals to move them, I sold the ZHP and jumped at the chance. I jumped to early, many got even better deals than I did. Some are driving $55k MSRP cars for $350/month, nuts! I really want to drive an x1 PHEV, I don't understand why it hasn't been announced/released in the US yet. I might just stick with the i3 for now. Get one with the REx, code it to work like the euro cars and range anxiety completely goes away.

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      10-13-2016, 09:35 AM   #19
tonyzale
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016' M3, S1000R, R nineT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech
You need to drive one. Go by your local BMW dealer and try the 330e. Plug in hybrids are the future. All electric are not (in our lifetime).
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 02:38 PM   #20
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Not sure how old you are, but you can stop telling your stories...

Electric is the future...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyzale View Post
...Plug in hybrids are the future. All electric are not (in our lifetime).
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 12:28 PM   #21
tonyzale
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016' M3, S1000R, R nineT

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Not sure how old you are, but you can stop telling your stories...

Electric is the future...!

How would you describe it? Tell us your story...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 05:06 PM   #22
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

My story is you already did that Tony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyzale View Post
How would you describe it? Tell us your story...
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread