BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

10-15-2016, 10:22 AM   #23
M3Fury
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 DCT ZCP MPE!

Amazing Thread.

As a USA midwest flatlander these videos having my hands sweating. I don't know how you guys drive like that even when there's a guardrail......
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10512.00
      10-15-2016, 10:35 AM   #24
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark666 View Post
The driving crew was formed from a BMW M4, a BMW M2, several BMW 135i's, a BMW M135i, a BMW Z1, a BMW Z4 and a Jaguar F-Type S.
+ a couple of 1M cars (5, if I don't forget one) ...and the 118i mascotte.
Grey Dove124.50
      10-15-2016, 10:53 AM   #25
markymark666
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M135i F21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
+ a couple of 1M cars (5, if I don't forget one) ...and the 118i mascotte.
Oh how could I just forget. Added the missing cars...

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 12:10 PM   #26
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Fury View Post
Amazing Thread.

As a USA midwest flatlander these videos having my hands sweating. I don't know how you guys drive like that even when there's a guardrail......
For me going up is not a problem, it's on the decent that fear starts to creep into the back of your mind when you start to look over the edge of the road.

The scariest pass our group has driven was Gavia Pass, near Stelvio - a few years back. Gavia had guard rails at the lower sections but once you got half way up in the clouds and fog, there was NOTHING keeping you from going over!! No guard rails! Plus... the road was only wide enough for one car(there WAS two way traffic)! There were some pull over spots... but once again there was nothing to keep you from going over the edge! Man when I think back to Gavia Pass I still break out into cold sweats.

And then there is that very narrow tunnel in Stelvio. This guy in the red Golf really should have just backed up instead he crashed his car into the tunnel's wall.
Appreciate 2
M3Fury122.50
Grey Dove124.50
      10-15-2016, 12:34 PM   #27
M3Fury
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 DCT ZCP MPE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:
Amazing Thread.

For me going up is not a problem, it's on the decent that fear starts to creep into the back of your mind when you start to look over the edge of the road.

The scariest pass our group has driven was Gavia Pass, near Stelvio - a few years back. Gavia had guard rails at the lower sections but once you got half way up in the clouds and fog, there was NOTHING keeping you from going over!! No guard rails! Plus... the road was only wide enough for one car(there WAS two way traffic)! There were some pull over spots... but once again there was nothing to keep you from going over the edge! Man when I think back to Gavia Pass I still break out into cold sweats.

And then there is that very narrow tunnel in Stelvio. This guy in the red Golf really should have just backed up instead he crashed his car into the tunnel's wall.
Yeah that's insane...brings me back to 6 yr old swimming lessons, standing on the diving board, fearing for my life.

That tunnel...
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10512.00
jpnh1423.50
      10-15-2016, 03:05 PM   #28
Daanisho
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 118d M-Sport. Superspr

Awesome! Will definitely keep a look out And if anything else pops up in the coming months i am 100% down for it! Dackelone
      10-15-2016, 03:45 PM   #29
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Amazing Thread.
True that, when you're "in the zone", you're very focused on the road and looking after keeping everything under control. But when you sit in the passenger seat, you got a different angle of what's going on: speed and turns feel more intense + a better look to/on those steep mountain drop-offs can be kinda unsettling sometimes. Same goes when you see video material afterwards: (even) more confrontational to notice what was next to the mountain pass you've driven: the void.
Dackelone10512.00
      10-15-2016, 10:29 PM   #30
Luv2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 m240i, 2023 G87 M2

Man, that looks like an AWESOME time !! Thanks for sharing.
Wish I had some mountain passes to drive on, where I live. That would be an awesome commute...lol.
The GG is definitely on my bucket list. I'm thinking a European Delivery first, then take it there.
      10-15-2016, 11:05 PM   #31
Bx Tpr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 23 CSL

I'm wondering if I can ship my car to Europe for a month long driving trip now lol. Great job guys.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 09:45 AM   #32
markymark666
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M135i F21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
True that, when you're "in the zone", you're very focused on the road and looking after keeping everything under control. But when you sit in the passenger seat, you got a different angle of what's going on: speed and turns feel more intense + a better look to/on those steep mountain drop-offs can be kinda unsettling sometimes. Same goes when you see video material afterwards: (even) more confrontational to notice what was next to the mountain pass you've driven: the void.

Yeah absolutely that feeling when you go on a spirited drive on those dangerous alpine roads. You're always torn between a sort of playstation feeling when you merge with your machine and the necessary respect you need to have for the road.

It makes me proud that our group always did fine in that balancing act. Thanks for that!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 10:45 AM   #33
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark666 View Post
It makes me proud that our group always did fine in that balancing act. Thanks for that!
Touch wood, but over all the years zero accidents during all trips (Summer tours, pre-tours and scouting trips). That says a lot about the participants and the state of their cars.

Preparation, discipline, mutual respect and safety awareness are key. Drivers with different driving experiences and skills. No prizes to win - no ranking.

What matters most is having a good time (on-road & off-road), enjoying cameraderie and our cars on awesome roads in an amazing scenery. An exciting brief escapade from busy daily life. We all come in good health and want everyone to return back home in good health with no person or object harmed (including the wallet) + with a backpack of fond memories. That's the spirit of these trips.

Consider these trips also as following some kind of master class: driving the daunting, sometimes pretty treacherous, mountain passes improves our driving skills and tells us more about the cars' behavior and capabilities, and, in the end makes us a better, more experienced driver. Getting useful know how for safe driving on 'normal' roads back home. But you gotta respect your own limits, other road users + the master: the mountains.

Name:  PassoGiau_Curves_Summer2016.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  321.4 KB
      10-16-2016, 11:43 PM   #34
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Wow, what an awesome cruise!