BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-19-2014, 02:40 PM   #45
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Work for them? Meh, I'd prefer to own them and have them work for me.
I'm sure we would all love to be in that position.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 04:02 PM   #46
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

LOL

I hate the arrogance of big company employees. Seriously at the end of the day, they're still slaves to the company owner.
      12-19-2014, 04:04 PM   #47
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwando View Post
If you enjoy where you work now then no you didn't really lose anything, just gained some eye-opening interview experience.
True that, i was hoping for a change. The same thing here is getting boring.
      12-19-2014, 04:05 PM   #48
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
True that, i was hoping for a change. The same thing here is getting boring.
That's about any job.

The only work I've done that was truly gratifying was CNC programming because you made something incredible from a piece of nothing. However, that's not a money mans job. A money mans job is sitting at a computer doing repetitious work making 100k+.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 05:15 PM   #49
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
I'm sure we would all love to be in that position.
You can own all 3 for about $700. You wont own much, but hey a wins a win right?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 05:39 PM   #50
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Just remember your job is just your JOB. You are still you whether you code iPhones or sweep up behind the last elephant in the parade
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 06:04 PM   #51
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
As being and EE I have done my fair share of programming, and I've been asked how I did something, and explain how I wrote code to do something, the kinds of challenges I ran into and how it ended up working. That alone mean more than asking someone to punch out some code.

As a person who has works at some of the top tech companies and being on more interviews than I like to remember as well as hiring a large number of engineers in my career I would argue asking someone to write some code does not mean a thing.

But if all they are expecting you to write code and nothing else then it may not be worth investing time doing a true behavioral interviews.
I believe you. The focus during the "technical" portion of the interview is probably different for straight up software engineering jobs vs anything an EE would be qualified for (which is broader but can also include software engineering).

Quote:
That's about any job.

The only work I've done that was truly gratifying was CNC programming because you made something incredible from a piece of nothing. However, that's not a money mans job. A money mans job is sitting at a computer doing repetitious work making 100k+.
Hell I've had a spine surgeon tell me that he's gotten painfully bored over the years given how repetitive his job is. He performs the same sort of surgery 90% of the time. I agree that's true with any job. I'm tempted to say "police officer" as a counter example but run-of-the-mill police work is probably extremely boring on a day to day basis as well. Police shows tend to show only the glamorous and suspenseful 1% of police encounters.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 02:01 AM   #52
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

You can't even afford a mortgage in Silicon Valley with $140k. I'd tell them to go pound sand.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 04:55 AM   #53
musc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
We all want to make more $, but if your current job is stressless then enjoy it. Sometimes being stress free is just as good as making more money. I walked away from a nice salary in May because of stress and BS. I haven't worked since because of a non-compete. You could always look for avenues to move up the rungs at your current job. If you have Apple and Google contacting YOU, then you obviously are doing something right and have the skill set to move forward. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2014, 08:49 AM   #54
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by musc
We all want to make more $, but if your current job is stressless then enjoy it. Sometimes being stress free is just as good as making more money. I walked away from a nice salary in May because of stress and BS. I haven't worked since because of a non-compete. You could always look for avenues to move up the rungs at your current job. If you have Apple and Google contacting YOU, then you obviously are doing something right and have the skill set to move forward. Good luck!
This is true. Most people do not realize stress everyday can kill you sooner ( I've had many friends and family that suffered irreversible health issues in exchange to getting more $ working on a high-stress job)
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 06:30 PM   #55
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by musc View Post
Thanks, greatly appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoods13 View Post
This is true. Most people do not realize stress everyday can kill you sooner ( I've had many friends and family that suffered irreversible health issues in exchange to getting more $ working on a high-stress job)
I just that discussion with my mom. Stress is not worth any amount of money.
      12-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #56
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
That's about any job.

True, It's just that i've been working on the same project for nearly 6 six years and we haven't released it yet.
      12-21-2014, 06:34 PM   #57
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Just remember your job is just your JOB. You are still you whether you code iPhones or sweep up behind the last elephant in the parade
      12-23-2014, 06:12 AM   #58
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
There are few things in the business world that are more poorly executed on a consistent basis than the recruiting process. It's even worse in some tech fields, where a non-technical HR person who doesnt even understand anything about the role is trying to screen people based on looking for matches of acronyms that they have no clue about.
Agreed, but from the sound of this thread it is worse than the US than in AU, yet we get poached to go to the US!
I've spoken to most of the T1/T2 in AU over a beer, if you want in you tend to bypass the HR interviews and just go through the screening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
I just that discussion with my mom. Stress is not worth any amount of money.
Stress is a response to stimuli, handle your shit!

OP- Sounds like they were fishing before culling, kinda the reverse of the pre-LinkedIn world where people applied and got culled.

If you get the chance, I recommend working a startup- I work startups/transformations/incubations as I get more satisfaction and personal growth out of it whilst also having fun with technology.

Six years on one project is crazy, does it feel like an operational role?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 06:50 PM   #59
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Interesting thread and great experience to have, boss. I believe every interview without an offer is a learning experience of some kind. Agree with @musc just being contacted by these big 3 ... You're definitely doing something right. Keep at it.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 10:21 PM   #60
OptionlessM
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

A good friend of mine recently joined Apple as an engineer for the iPhone. The pay is pretty high, and the performance based bonuses are insane. However, they expect you to be able to answer email 24/7 within 30 minutes and he has to spend months at a time in China. They work you pretty hard and have a high turnover rate.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 03:44 PM   #61
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ryan_ View Post
Agreed, but from the sound of this thread it is worse than the US than in AU, yet we get poached to go to the US!
I've spoken to most of the T1/T2 in AU over a beer, if you want in you tend to bypass the HR interviews and just go through the screening.

Stress is a response to stimuli, handle your shit!

OP- Sounds like they were fishing before culling, kinda the reverse of the pre-LinkedIn world where people applied and got culled.

If you get the chance, I recommend working a startup- I work startups/transformations/incubations as I get more satisfaction and personal growth out of it whilst also having fun with technology.

Six years on one project is crazy, does it feel like an operational role?
Yea, i'm ready to move on. The project is a Medical device that supports life from Pre-matures to full grown Adults, so the level of complexity is very high.

I've learned a lot from the field but it's time to part ways and find a new venture.
      12-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #62
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
Interesting thread and great experience to have, boss. I believe every interview without an offer is a learning experience of some kind. Agree with @musc just being contacted by these big 3 ... You're definitely doing something right. Keep at it.
Thanks. Deff learned a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptionlessM View Post
A good friend of mine recently joined Apple as an engineer for the iPhone. The pay is pretty high, and the performance based bonuses are insane. However, they expect you to be able to answer email 24/7 within 30 minutes and he has to spend months at a time in China. They work you pretty hard and have a high turnover rate.
Yes that's true. I don't mind working hard now that i'm somewhat young. But i wouldn't want to be working this crazy after a certain age.
      12-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #63
Wilsel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Currently seeking

Don't sweat it man. Have you ever worked at a large company? It's horrible. I would much rather work for a company that's small, and still values each individual employee.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #64
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsel View Post
Don't sweat it man. Have you ever worked at a large company? It's horrible. I would much rather work for a company that's small, and still values each individual employee.
I worked for Sikorsky and it was ugly. I wanted to get out of there so fast.
Some of the employees walk around like Zombies, there are no windows to look outside. No internet, you can only visit the company's website. No cell phone usage. You must have your ID displayed at all time unless security will tackle you down.

But i learned a lot there.
      12-28-2014, 10:16 PM   #65
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

This has been an interesting read for the evening. I am in the process of refining my resume to embark on a different adventure. 2.5 cool years as an EE working on and designing products, and now I want to take my experiences to another company. Somewhere south to enjoy my 1er all year long.

Cool story OP and great responses. Not surprised others have had similar interviews as I have.
      12-29-2014, 12:52 PM   #66
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
This has been an interesting read for the evening. I am in the process of refining my resume to embark on a different adventure. 2.5 cool years as an EE working on and designing products, and now I want to take my experiences to another company. Somewhere south to enjoy my 1er all year long.

Cool story OP and great responses. Not surprised others have had similar interviews as I have.
I'm tired tired of North east too.