BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-23-2016, 02:04 PM   #45
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i

I just went through your exact situation.

I was working through a 3rd party for my employer until I finished school. Worked there two years and was finally given a full-time offer upon graduation. It was a lot lower than I was expecting.

At the same time, a recruiter reached out to me via LinkedIn. She brought me in for an interview and it went very well. I initially planned on taking whatever offer they gave me and using it as leverage against my current employer. This new company knew I enjoyed my current job, so I told them I would need at least "this much" per hour to leave without allowing my employer to give a counter-offer.

The offer came back at 15% under what I told them I would need to leave. It was still more than I was making at my current job though. I asked them if there was a reason they couldn't offer me the wage I had asked for (skills I didn't have, etc.) They said I had the skills, but they didn't want me to take the job purely because of the money. They wanted me to "want" to work with them, because there will always be someone else able to offer another dollar. We negotiated a little and they added a small sign-on bonus. The benefits were also better than what I was currently getting.

I took their offer back to my current employer and explained the situation. Keep in mind, these are both smaller companies (~100 employees). They were understanding and offered to match the offer, but it would take effect over the course of 6 months and I would have increased responsibility. Being young (23), I decided to take the new job offer because of the benefits and upward mobility.

I've now been working with this "new" employer for a year and the upward mobility isn't really there. I don't regret taking the position because I've learned a lot and the profit sharing bonus at the end of the year is really nice. However, they offer 2.5% raises every year. Doesn't matter who you are or how long you've been there. It's 2.5% across the board (not very encouraging, right?) But I am ready for something new that will pay what I initially was asking for. Now I have two very solid projects under my belt and tons of related experience. I even bought at house at 23 years old and own two BMWs (still owe a little bit on the 135i).

Just go with your gut. For some reason, it's usually right. If you're young, it wouldn't hurt to switch things up.

EDIT: I just realized this was really long-winded for what I had to say, but oh well.
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 02:28 PM   #46
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
I received an offer from a company that I interviewed with some months ago. It was a verbal offer and I wanted to wait until I have the official email before I start negotiating. I just received the letter and was wondering how to go about it.

It was the hiring manager that made the verbal offer and I got the email from HR. Do I negotiate with the hiring manager or do I go through HR?

Offer is lower than what I'm making now. It is a much further commute than my current job so I was thinking of making the jump only if I get at least a 15-20% increase. Thoughts?

PS- current job is contract but they are converting me to FT. Just waiting for the offer letter for it to be official. I was hoping that this other place would be higher so I could use it to match.
Being that we're both from the Bay Area you know that the job market here is on fire, and negotiating is what most companies expect because it's so competitive here right now.

In my past, HR has been who negotiates salary when you're first hired, and can be the hardest to negotiate with because you're just a #, not a person. However, I think you have some good leverage, good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 02:56 PM   #47
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspenceful View Post
I just went through your exact situation.

I was working through a 3rd party for my employer until I finished school. Worked there two years and was finally given a full-time offer upon graduation. It was a lot lower than I was expecting.

At the same time, a recruiter reached out to me via LinkedIn. She brought me in for an interview and it went very well. I initially planned on taking whatever offer they gave me and using it as leverage against my current employer. This new company knew I enjoyed my current job, so I told them I would need at least "this much" per hour to leave without allowing my employer to give a counter-offer.

The offer came back at 15% under what I told them I would need to leave. It was still more than I was making at my current job though. I asked them if there was a reason they couldn't offer me the wage I had asked for (skills I didn't have, etc.) They said I had the skills, but they didn't want me to take the job purely because of the money. They wanted me to "want" to work with them, because there will always be someone else able to offer another dollar. We negotiated a little and they added a small sign-on bonus. The benefits were also better than what I was currently getting.

I took their offer back to my current employer and explained the situation. Keep in mind, these are both smaller companies (~100 employees). They were understanding and offered to match the offer, but it would take effect over the course of 6 months and I would have increased responsibility. Being young (23), I decided to take the new job offer because of the benefits and upward mobility.

I've now been working with this "new" employer for a year and the upward mobility isn't really there. I don't regret taking the position because I've learned a lot and the profit sharing bonus at the end of the year is really nice. However, they offer 2.5% raises every year. Doesn't matter who you are or how long you've been there. It's 2.5% across the board (not very encouraging, right?) But I am ready for something new that will pay what I initially was asking for. Now I have two very solid projects under my belt and tons of related experience. I even bought at house at 23 years old and own two BMWs (still owe a little bit on the 135i).

Just go with your gut. For some reason, it's usually right. If you're young, it wouldn't hurt to switch things up.

EDIT: I just realized this was really long-winded for what I had to say, but oh well.
where's the tldr version?? ha
      05-23-2016, 03:01 PM   #48
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
where's the tldr version?? ha
TDLR; There will always be someone who can and will pay you more. Go with your gut, it's usually right. Work is much better when you enjoy it. If you're young, switch it up and leave on good terms. You only live once, don't feel like you have to stay loyal to anyone but yourself.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 03:19 PM   #49
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspenceful View Post
TDLR; There will always be someone who can and will pay you more. Go with your gut, it's usually right. Work is much better when you enjoy it. If you're young, switch it up and leave on good terms. You only live once, don't feel like you have to stay loyal to anyone but yourself.
all you had to say was #yolo

on a serious note, the gut can be wrong if you have preprogrammed misconceived loyalty bullshit.
      05-23-2016, 03:26 PM   #50
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
all you had to say was #yolo

on a serious note, the gut can be wrong if you have preprogrammed misconceived loyalty bullshit.
I just wanted to sneak that one in there
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 04:09 PM   #51
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M$4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Thank you for the sound advice! Funny thing is I gave them a copy of my weekly paycheck as they requested for it as part of the interview. So they know how much I make now yet made an offer that is lower than my current salary. I gave it to HR as they were collecting the requested documents so I don't know if the hiring manager is aware that the offer made is lower.
I dont know if this is what you usually do, I never had to prove how much I make or was making . Wondering why you did it? If you told them you are contracting and they know exactly how much you are currently making - here we go ! Thats why they offered you less! I'm currently contracting and my contract expires in month. So Im looking for new job. When I tell them how much I make I expect less for FT. But right now I dont get paid for company holidays - 12-14 days + no paid vacation another 2-3 weeks. So I'm getting 10% less already from what i will get if I'm FT with same salary. Plus medical is not cheap, no matching 401K etc... At the end its ~15-20% less . Do the math
Appreciate 0