BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

10-10-2016, 06:25 PM   #1
tyzer
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 730d M-Sport Carbon Black

Apple Carplay

So after 3 days with my G11, I thought I would share my thoughts and experiences with Apple carplay.

I don't know if this option is now available for all previous sept build G11/G12 owners but mine was built in September. I could not order it in the dealership or see it on the web builder (this is now available) and no 6CP option was on my build sheet. I write this, as at the time of ordering my car, no one could tell me whether carplay(CP) was going to be available to me (Redbaron gave same direction, but there was nothing from BMW or the genius service)

So my car arrived and i found that by going through the iDrive BMWconnectedstore, I could see the CP option (phew). However I needed the purchase information etc to be registered, so I ordered via my pc and it installed itself over the air. I had several failed attempts to get it connected, it's quite fussy in terms of procedure. Basically you install it very similar to the bluetooth iPhone connection process, but add a CP device instead, and let the phone take the lead in terms of answering configuration "yes" "no" options.

I have had several BM's and none have them have delivered a satisfactory performance when linked to my iPhones. Features like SMS notification were very hit or miss, track pickup from last point of play was again flaky. With the CP option on my G11 I found that both of these aspects are a huge improvement, I will try and breakdown the features i have tried:

Music:
Restarts from where I turn off the car, or if I continue on headphones and stop, it then restarts from that point in the car. Audio quality is perfect, I have the HK option and i don't hear any distortion or interference. My playlists seem to be more accessible than through standard iPhone to BMW interface, with art work, track lists that just work.

SMS:
When I receive a text, i can tap the screen or use the iDrive to play the message with very good text to speech. I have used speech to text to reply which has worked 100%

Maps:
Probably my least favourite app, simply because the iDrive map is so so good. Apple is not full screen and just seems duller and less detailed

Phone:
Just seems to be an extension of my phone, easy to use, easy to find my recents, I like the contact pictures (small thing but looks great on the high res screen)

There are two highlights I would like to mention, one being the split screen, which at first I felt miffed that the screen was not 100% filled by CP but I then started to change the split screen option more (just love sliding my finger in from the right to turn on, feels very iPad like). The other highlight is the touchscreen, for me this makes the whole thing work as intended. I'm so happy that apple put some power behind the screen to make touch responsive and very natural, even when driving. I have been using gesture control to change track (two pointy fingers) but even the on screen controls are easy to select/responsive.

Perhaps the most negative point is that there is only an "or" choice when it comes to CP and BMW phone integration. This means you have to use the CP interface for phone, contacts, music and SMS notifications as all the iDrive options for these are not synced/connected to your phone. There is a easy switch between the CP and standard phone options and I guess time will tell which I prefer with use.

Sorry for the waffle, hope it helps someone!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 04:18 AM   #2
KQF
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 730d M Sing Grey, Mocha

Thanks Tyzer,

Have you by any chance used the Spotify app? What are your thoughts on that? My work phone is an iPh 6 so will use Carplay for sure but I'm a heavy spotify user?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 05:41 AM   #3
tyzer
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQF View Post
Thanks Tyzer,

Have you by any chance used the Spotify app? What are your thoughts on that? My work phone is an iPh 6 so will use Carplay for sure but I'm a heavy spotify user?
will be tested for you today!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 07:48 AM   #4
KQF
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyzer View Post
will be tested for you today!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 02:48 PM   #5
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
To OP: Does Carplay connect via USB onlty or is it bluetooth also? I ask because if one uses the wireless charging one would have to connect Carplay by bluetooth.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 06:31 PM   #6
tyzer
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weinschela View Post
To OP: Does Carplay connect via USB onlty or is it bluetooth also? I ask because if one uses the wireless charging one would have to connect Carplay by bluetooth.

Thanks.
sorry should have checked this post before I replied on the other forum, BMW 7 Series supports wireless bluetooth carplay 100% and is how I set mine up
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 06:41 PM   #7
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
sorry should have checked this post before I replied on the other forum, BMW 7 Series supports wireless bluetooth carplay 100% and is how I set mine up
No apology necessary. Your info is very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 12:19 PM   #8
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyzer
So after 3 days with my G11, I thought I would share my thoughts and experiences with Apple carplay.

I don't know if this option is now available for all previous sept build G11/G12 owners but mine was built in September. I could not order it in the dealership or see it on the web builder (this is now available) and no 6CP option was on my build sheet. I write this, as at the time of ordering my car, no one could tell me whether carplay(CP) was going to be available to me (Redbaron gave same direction, but there was nothing from BMW or the genius service)

So my car arrived and i found that by going through the iDrive BMWconnectedstore, I could see the CP option (phew). However I needed the purchase information etc to be registered, so I ordered via my pc and it installed itself over the air. I had several failed attempts to get it connected, it's quite fussy in terms of procedure. Basically you install it very similar to the bluetooth iPhone connection process, but add a CP device instead, and let the phone take the lead in terms of answering configuration "yes" "no" options.

I have had several BM's and none have them have delivered a satisfactory performance when linked to my iPhones. Features like SMS notification were very hit or miss, track pickup from last point of play was again flaky. With the CP option on my G11 I found that both of these aspects are a huge improvement, I will try and breakdown the features i have tried:

Music:
Restarts from where I turn off the car, or if I continue on headphones and stop, it then restarts from that point in the car. Audio quality is perfect, I have the HK option and i don't hear any distortion or interference. My playlists seem to be more accessible than through standard iPhone to BMW interface, with art work, track lists that just work.

SMS:
When I receive a text, i can tap the screen or use the iDrive to play the message with very good text to speech. I have used speech to text to reply which has worked 100%

Maps:
Probably my least favourite app, simply because the iDrive map is so so good. Apple is not full screen and just seems duller and less detailed

Phone:
Just seems to be an extension of my phone, easy to use, easy to find my recents, I like the contact pictures (small thing but looks great on the high res screen)

There are two highlights I would like to mention, one being the split screen, which at first I felt miffed that the screen was not 100% filled by CP but I then started to change the split screen option more (just love sliding my finger in from the right to turn on, feels very iPad like). The other highlight is the touchscreen, for me this makes the whole thing work as intended. I'm so happy that apple put some power behind the screen to make touch responsive and very natural, even when driving. I have been using gesture control to change track (two pointy fingers) but even the on screen controls are easy to select/responsive.

Perhaps the most negative point is that there is only an "or" choice when it comes to CP and BMW phone integration. This means you have to use the CP interface for phone, contacts, music and SMS notifications as all the iDrive options for these are not synced/connected to your phone. There is a easy switch between the CP and standard phone options and I guess time will tell which I prefer with use.

. Did you manage to play (mirror) iphone video? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 05:03 AM   #9
Redbaron1973
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and G02 X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
screen mirror is an Android function

__________________________________________________ ________________

G02 X4 MSport X - Carbon Black w Black / Comfort Pack / Tech Pack / Privacy
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 02:42 PM   #10
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
screen mirror is an Android function
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 03:29 AM   #11
GhostWorks
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F07 530D SE GT ( 2010/07 )

Thanks

Nice to know that CarPlay is a Option via ConnectedDrive
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 12:51 PM   #12
KQF
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Music:

SMS:

Maps:

Phone:

Hi Tyzer,

Hows the motor running?

I finally got round to looking at carplay and when I set up connect drive the car play option was 235 quid odd plus vat! did you pay this - I didn't think there was a charge for it?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 01:44 PM   #13
tyzer
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Hi Tyzer,

Hows the motor running?

I finally got round to looking at carplay and when I set up connect drive the car play option was 235 quid odd plus vat! did you pay this - I didn't think there was a charge for it?

Thanks
Car is going very well except for a suspected slow puncture this week!

Yeah I paid the 235, i think its a 300 dollar add on in the dealer (usa) when ordering, actually i think you add it on now in the online configuration too

I would say its worth it, for me I can voice to text my texts and the menu system from apple is pretty good. I sometimes get a crackly sound but on the whole it behaves.

How are you getting on with yours?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 03:47 PM   #14
KQF
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Car is going very well except for a suspected slow puncture this week!

Yeah I paid the 235, i think its a 300 dollar add on in the dealer (usa) when ordering, actually i think you add it on now in the online configuration too

I would say its worth it, for me I can voice to text my texts and the menu system from apple is pretty good. I sometimes get a crackly sound but on the whole it behaves.

How are you getting on with yours?
ok wow I can't believe BM charge for this - This is the only Apple product I have so will pass but based on the cost of the car not an issue for most owners if they use Apple a lot.

no fun having a slow puncture - especially these wheels - any idea what a replacement would cost you? I had one of the first F10's back in July 10 and I got a nail in the first week - no-one had any of the tyres as they were too knew had to wait 2 weeks for the dealers to source one!

loving mine - been away for a few weeks but drove it this week again - love it! just passed 1200 miles today and its starting to feel even smoother - got 51mpg on a trip to lakeside. Still not completely happy with the HK system hoping it just needs more bedding in.

Wife hates it - too big might have to pick up a 2nd car as a run around
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 12:57 AM   #15
GhostWorks
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F07 530D SE GT ( 2010/07 )

Quote:
ok wow I can't believe BM charge for this - This is the only Apple product I have so will pass but based on the cost of the car not an issue for most owners if they use Apple a lot.

no fun having a slow puncture - especially these wheels - any idea what a replacement would cost you? I had one of the first F10's back in July 10 and I got a nail in the first week - no-one had any of the tyres as they were too knew had to wait 2 weeks for the dealers to source one!

loving mine - been away for a few weeks but drove it this week again - love it! just passed 1200 miles today and its starting to feel even smoother - got 51mpg on a trip to lakeside. Still not completely happy with the HK system hoping it just needs more bedding in.

Wife hates it - too big might have to pick up a 2nd car as a run around
HK system is only 600w compared to the B&W of 1400w, you could upgrade the speakers via bavsound (USA) its black Friday tomorrow so good deals currently , i hear the speakers make a huge difference
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 07:07 AM   #16
KQF
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostWorks View Post
HK system is only 600w compared to the B&W of 1400w, you could upgrade the speakers via bavsound (USA) its black Friday tomorrow so good deals currently , i hear the speakers make a huge difference
Ta for the tip - as mine is on a lease too much hassle to change them now but useful info for other owners - feel a bit gutted though the interior size and level of noise it should amazing but just not musical enough if that makes sense - oh well.

It looking a state though with the recent weather
Appreciate 0