BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

10-29-2016, 01:30 PM   #1
alexhasin
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550i

Unhappy Emergency help, did dealer lie to me?

Hello guys,

I really need your help here.

I bought 2016 750i in Canada. But my car doesn't have rear seat heating. This is very ridiculous.

The dealership originally thought I should have that, because for canadian version, the front and rear seat heating is a standard function. They thought BMW forget to build this during production.

However the dealer just told me today, my 7 series is not supposed to have back seat heating, because I have an option named Comfort Heat,Front.
And this option will remove the rear seat heating.

And the sales manager did show me the ordering guide states that "Comfort Heat,Front" will remove both front and rear seat heating.
But I did have seat heating for both front seats.

However the problem is, the ordering guide he showed to me is effective March,2016.
But my car is built in January, 2016.

And I did check the older version of ordering guide, there is not a note about heat comfort,front will remove seat heating, it's effective Oct, 2015.

Should my car(Production of January 2016) follow the ordering guide for Oct 2015 or Mar 2016?

And what does Heat comfort,front include ? It only includes front seat heating but not for rear seats heating?

I'm really disappointed and upset. I required dealer give me a new car with same built, but apparently it's not gonna happen.

The dealership insists that my car should not have rear seat heating, but i don't think so.

Could you guys give me some suggestions, really feeling hopeless now..
My Vin no. WBA7B0C51GG526846

I attached both ordering guide for 2015 OCT and 2016 MAR

Attached Images
File Type: pdf WechatIMG1.pdf (1.03 MB, 216 views)
File Type: pdf WechatIMG2.pdf (1.29 MB, 265 views)

Last edited by alexhasin; 10-30-2016 at 01:42 AM.. Reason: 7 SERIES SEAT HEATING
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 01:39 PM   #2
alexhasin
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Here is the problem.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 01:48 PM   #3
oshevtsov
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90/E60/F10/F15/F16/F32/G11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexhasin View Post
Hello guys,

I bought 2016 750i in canada. But my car doesn't have rear seat heating. This is very ridiculous.

The dealership originally thought I should have that, because for canadian version, the front and rear seat heating is a standard function. They thought bmw forget to build this during production.

However the dealer just told me today, my 7 series is not supposed to have back seat heating, because I have an option named Comfort Heat,Front. And this option will remove the rear seat heating.

And the sales manager did show me the ordering guide states that "Comfort Heat,Front" will remove both front and rear seat heating. But I did have seat heating for both front seats.

However the problem is, the ordering guide he showed to me is effective March,2016. But my car is built in January, 2016.

And I did check the older version of ordering guide, there is not a note about heat comfort,front will remove seat heating. And it's effective Oct, 2015

Should my car(Production of January 2016) follow the ordering guide for Oct 2015 or Mar 2016?

And what does Heat comfort,front include ? It only includes front seat heating but not for rear seats heating?

I'm really disappointed and upset. I required dealer give me a new car with same built, but apparently it's not gonna happen.

The dealership insists that my car should not have rear seat heating, but i don't think so.

My Vin no. G526684

You were clearly mislead by the dealer, no matter what it is in the ordering guide, you are not supposed to master these technicalities.

In this situation I would simply refuse to pickup the car until they fix by retrofitting or otherwise to your satisfaction.

I know there is PuMA measure (internal BMW instruction) allowing dealers to retrofit various options (even retrofits not offered officially) provided that client refuses to accept a car, when there was ordering error, and in some other cases.

If you accepted the car, just return it. I think Canadian law should allow that. Let it be their problem
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 02:04 PM   #4
alexhasin
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshevtsov View Post
You were clearly mislead by the dealer, no matter what it is in the ordering guide, you are not supposed to master these technicalities.

In this situation I would simply refuse to pickup the car until they fix by retrofitting or otherwise to your satisfaction.

I know there is PuMA measure (internal BMW instruction) allowing dealers to retrofit various options (even retrofits not offered officially) provided that client refuses to accept a car, when there was ordering error, and in some other cases.

If you accepted the car, just return it. I think Canadian law should allow that. Let it be their problem

The problem is I already pick up.

But the reason why they are still willing to discuss this me right now may be because I didn't require test drive of this car, and I didn't even have a look of this car to make the deposit. No one from dealership mentioned this problem to me before buying. And this is the third car I bought from them.

At this point, should I still insist to get a new car ? Or ask for compensation?

Thx for replying.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 02:34 PM   #5
alexhasin
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Unhappy Emergency help, did dealer lie to me?

Hello guys,

I bought 2016 750i in canada. But my car doesn't have rear seat heating. This is very ridiculous.

The dealership originally thought I should have that, because for canadian version, the front and rear seat heating is a standard function. They thought bmw forget to build this during production.

However the dealer just told me today, my 7 series is not supposed to have back seat heating, because I have an option named Comfort Heat,Front. And this option will remove the rear seat heating.

And the sales manager did show me the ordering guide states that "Comfort Heat,Front" will remove both front and rear seat heating. But I did have seat heating for both front seats.

However the problem is, the ordering guide he showed to me is effective March,2016. But my car is built in January, 2016.

And I did check the older version of ordering guide, there is not a note about heat comfort,front will remove seat heating. And it's effective Oct, 2015

My Vin no. WBA7B0C51GG526846

But the reason why they are still willing to discuss this with me right now may be because I didn't require test drive of this car, and I didn't even have a look of this car to make the deposit. No one from dealership mentioned this problem to me before buying. And this is the third car I bought from them.

Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf WechatIMG1.pdf (1.03 MB, 195 views)
File Type: pdf WechatIMG2.pdf (1.29 MB, 214 views)

Last edited by alexhasin; 10-29-2016 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 03:24 PM   #6
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Quote:
Wow; had no idea!

Where'd you hear of this?

Any examples of what's been retrofitted in the past?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 03:56 PM   #7
oshevtsov
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Wow; had no idea!

Where'd you hear of this?

Any examples of what's been retrofitted in the past?

Thanks!
I saw the PuMA message in person, about a month ago. And yes, I know that at least 6NS and 609 were retrofitted several times.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #8
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I saw the PuMA message in person, about a month ago. And yes, I know that at least 6NS and 609 were retrofitted several times.
Cool!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 04:03 PM   #9
oshevtsov
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The problem is I already pick up.

But the reason why they are still willing to discuss this me right now may be because I didn't require test drive of this car, and I didn't even have a look of this car to make the deposit. No one from dealership mentioned this problem to me before buying. And this is the third car I bought from them.

At this point, should I still insist to get a new car ? Or ask for compensation?

Thx for replying.
I would return and get a new one. Or get dealer's hard commitment to retrofit at their cost. Parts would most likely involve read seat cushions and backs, rear climate control panel, wiring, possibly seat module ECU (the one responsible for heating). Coding will also be required
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 04:07 PM   #10
oshevtsov
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Cool!
The language was more-or-less like this:

Retrofits are not allowed (except those offered officially)... But if client refuses to accept the vehicle, or the client is important, or bla-bla-bla, then this can be done... Please contact BMW AG for details, clearance, part list and how-to... But in any case this exception does not apply to 5AT, 5AS, 5DF (that is safety-related things).

Last edited by oshevtsov; 10-29-2016 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2016, 04:12 PM   #11
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The language was more-or-less like this:

Retrofits are not allowed (except those offered officially)... But if clients refuses to accept the vehicle, or the client is important, or bla-bla-bla, then this can be done... Please contact BMW AG for details, clearance, part list and how-to... But in any case this exception does not apply to 5AT, 5AS, 5DF (that is safety-related things).
Wow!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 04:13 PM   #12
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

4HA Seat heating, front and rear
4HC Heat comfort package, front and rear
494 Heated front seats

In the EU and Canada, 4HA is standard. Ventilation is an option.
In the US, 494 is standard.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 04:16 PM   #13
oshevtsov
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
4HA Seat heating, front and rear
4HC Heat comfort package, front and rear
494 Heated front seats

In the EU and Canada, 4HA is standard. Ventilation is an option.
In the US, 494 is standard.
Yeap. But as per 2016 ordering guide 4HB (Front Heat Comfort Package) which the OP has deletes 4HA, and leaves OP only with front heating...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 04:22 PM   #14
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

OP:

Was the car built to order or did you take same off the lot? If built to order, this need to be escalated to corporate ASAP, as your dealer has demonstrated they're not on your side and you're putting miles on the car in the meantime.

Be polite, but firm and to the point; simply state you were shown cars that had heated rear seats upon order and you expected yours to come with same. Also give corporate the option to either replace the whole car with the correct build or to retrofit the option in a timely manner, which I'd say is how long it took for your car to be built and delivered. The whole rear seatback and bottom may need to be replaced if the heating element isn't already within same. :|

Also be sure to contact corporate in multiple ways; telephone, website, e-mail and written letter.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited by dbs600; 10-29-2016 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 05:04 PM   #15
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yeap. But as per 2016 ordering guide 4HB (Front Heat Comfort Package) which the OP has deletes 4HA, and leaves OP only with front heating...
I missed that on second page.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 05:38 PM   #16
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Irrespective of what an order guide says, what matters is what a customer is told or not told upon order placement. If navigation is standard in 2016, but not in 2017, and a car ends up being a 2017 build and doesn't have navigation, I'd say it's the dealer's responsibility to inform a customer that the car won't have navigation unless ordered.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 05:41 PM   #17
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Irrespective of what an order guide says, what matters is what a customer is told or not told upon order placement. If navigation is standard in 2016, but not in 2017, and a car ends up being a 2017 build and doesn't have navigation, I'd say it's the dealer's responsibility to inform a customer that the car won't have navigation unless ordered.
I agree, but it makes things complicated when owner signs papers and drives off lot. I still think they should be firm on issue and request it be corrected.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 05:42 PM   #18
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
I agree, but it makes things complicated when owner signs papers and drives off lot. I still think they should be firm on issue and request it be corrected.
Agreed.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 07:51 PM   #19
alexhasin
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
When I made deposit to buy it, both dealer and I think I would have rear seat heating as it's a standard function said from dealership. When I found this problem after picking up my car, they explained why I don't have rear seat heating. They didn't explain before I bought this car.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 08:01 PM   #20
alexhasin
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
OP:

Was the car built to order or did you take same off the lot? If built to order, this need to be escalated to corporate ASAP, as your dealer has demonstrated they're not on your side and you're putting miles on the car in the meantime.

Be polite, but firm and to the point; simply state you were shown cars that had heated rear seats upon order and you expected yours to come with same. Also give corporate the option to either replace the whole car with the correct build or to retrofit the option in a timely manner, which I'd say is how long it took for your car to be built and delivered. The whole rear seatback and bottom may need to be replaced if the heating element isn't already within same. :|

Also be sure to contact corporate in multiple ways; telephone, website, e-mail and written letter.

Good luck and keep us posted!
My car was a demo, I did't build it by myself.

However, the dealer told rear seat heating is a standard function, so make me believe that there is rear seat heating on my car as it should be there.

Manager just told me retrofit rear seat heating is not possible as BMW can't do that.

Right now I require them give me a new car with same build or give me CAD $ 12000 as compensation. This amount is my friend told me, he calculated how much the dealer has to spend to buy back my car and give me a new one. He said 12000 is much smaller cost than buying back my car and replace a new one.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 11:58 PM   #21
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
My car was a demo, I did't build it by myself.

However, the dealer told rear seat heating is a standard function, so make me believe that there is rear seat heating on my car as it should be there.

Manager just told me retrofit rear seat heating is not possible as BMW can't do that.

Right now I require them give me a new car with same build or give me CAD $ 12000 as compensation. This amount is my friend told me, he calculated how much the dealer has to spend to buy back my car and give me a new one. He said 12000 is much smaller cost than buying back my car and replace a new one.
Sorry, but based upon the above, I think you're out of luck.

Maybe someone else here has other, additional suggestions?

Keep us posted regardless.

Last edited by dbs600; 10-30-2016 at 01:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 01:20 AM   #22
oshevtsov
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
This is equivalent to '*uck off', it is a standard response they are giving to everyone.

They can retrofit. But for this they need to write to BMW AG, explain the situation, insist that the retrofit is absolutely critical and may have implications on dealer's reputation, and request to establish parts list and retrofit procedure.

So the manager needs to elevate the issue to his/her boss, the boss should directly instruct servicemen to open PuMA case and follow-up on that. Otherwise, servicemen are mostly reluctant to do this as they could not care less - they have lots of work anyway and do not want to deal with exceptional cases.

I think returning the car or imminent threat to return the car can make your dealer move faster and think out of their regular box.
Appreciate 0