BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

04-04-2018, 11:08 PM   #111
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

$3700/month makes as much sense as a toupee with a chin strap. It works for some people, but the rest of us will shake their head.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 11:11 PM   #112
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
To be clear, the price is high and higher than any other current car manufacturer subscription-based service, but many of you aren't putting enough value (or any value at all) on everything else that is apart of this program besides the vehicle itself.

A lot of you are comparing this to a lease or renting a car on an app like Turo and this isn't anything close to that. Of course this would be a rip off if you're only factoring in the value of the car, but car manufacturers aren't doing that.

You're missing a HUGE part of the equation when you only take into account the price of the car and compare it to the price of the car through a lease or app like Turo. BMW is factoring in a lot more than just the price of the car into this monthly price.

This is what you guys are missing- BMW is putting MORE VALUE on everything BUT the car and saying this is worth more than the car itself on a monthly basis.

Those things include flexibility, convenience, NEW CAR whenever you want, and EVERYTHING PAID FOR; you can have a new car everyday if you'd like, you can have the car delivered to your door or wherever you are; a BMW concierge will deliver it to you whenever you want (anytime). The car will be professionally detailed when you get it and fully fueled. Personal preferences (whatever that means) will already be set and ready once the driver gets in. You aren't stuck in a contract and can get out of said car whenever you want, you don't have to worry about damage or dents and if you'll be charged for those things like you typically worry about at the end of a lease, INSURANCE IS INCLUDED which in itself is a big perk, BMW Roadside Assistance is INCLUDED which is a nice plus, and vehicle maintenance is INCLUDED which adds up as well.

BMW isn't the first or second or even third car manufacturer to make this announcement. Subscription Services from Cadillac, Porsche, Ford, and Volvo are all currently available as I type this. In addition, Mercedes will announce their plans for a subscription based model very soon so keep your eyes open.

With that said, BMW knows they priced this high as this is a pilot program and they'd rather price it too high than too low. In addition, Ian Smith, CEO of BMW Group Financial Services USA and Region Americas, said “A pilot program is a great opportunity for us to learn." Their number 1 goal right now is to learn and get feedback on this service. BMW (and the rest of the US auto manufacturers) truly believe that subscription-based services are part of the future (along with autonomous driving) and their number 1 priority at this point in time is to receive data in the form of customer feedback to better understand the current and future market for this mobility service and to meet the individual and evolving needs of their customers.

It seems to me that they're still learning and they're just trying to gauge the market so they can have an educated understanding of the consumer and better price this service to be competitive in the long term along other manufacturers who like I said are offering the same thing.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay

Last edited by CLABRO; 04-04-2018 at 11:20 PM..
Appreciate 2
cotmfk2060.00
      04-04-2018, 11:52 PM   #113
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Cool thing for rich snobs to brag about at cocktail parties. Nothing more
When i think of “rich snobs”, i see Aston Martin...not M2.
Appreciate 1
Ibiza3640.50
      04-05-2018, 06:12 AM   #114
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasko View Post
Quote:
A [COLOR="Red"]highly emotional[/COLOR] and exhilarating "M" tier will consist of BMW's most powerful and highest-performing models such as: BMW M4 convertible, the all-new M5, BMW M6 convertible, as well as the BMW X5M and BMW X6M Sports Activity Vehicles.

"Highly emotional" is not exactly the best way to describe an M car. The only emotion that you are going to feel is anger and sadness when you look at your bank account and realize it's empty after paying for a BMW that you will never own.

Highly emotional? Now we know M stands for Menopausal...
Appreciate 1
Ibiza3640.50
      04-05-2018, 07:00 AM   #115
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

This has some benefits. I think the idea is great. Price is a tough pill to swallow, but I'm assuming the price will become more realistic over time. Not being able to modify the car would be annoying. And there will probably be no manual trans cars available.

There are some negatives to people who actually own their car. If this program is successful, there will be a good amount of poor condition Ms/non-Ms hitting the market after just a year, further bringing down resale. I wonder what this will do to car prices and maintenance costs going forward.

This could also be BMWs way of starting to end their super cheap leasing program. After a bit, they could try to raise leasing prices and lower the BMW Access to work to get people to switch to the Access program instead of leasing.
      04-05-2018, 09:22 AM   #116
ReeferCheefer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i,335i,335xi,328dx, 535i

Garage List
2008 E90 Montego  [0.00]
2022 s1000rr  [0.00]
2016 S1000RR  [0.00]
2011 535i xdrive  [0.00]
Turo is a better deal
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 09:38 AM   #117
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
This has some benefits. I think the idea is great. Price is a tough pill to swallow, but I'm assuming the price will become more realistic over time. Not being able to modify the car would be annoying. And there will probably be no manual trans cars available.

There are some negatives to people who actually own their car. If this program is successful, there will be a good amount of poor condition Ms/non-Ms hitting the market after just a year, further bringing down resale. I wonder what this will do to car prices and maintenance costs going forward.

This could also be BMWs way of starting to end their super cheap leasing program. After a bit, they could try to raise leasing prices and lower the BMW Access to work to get people to switch to the Access program instead of leasing.
Bingo.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 03:29 PM   #118
BMWKLR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white m235 cp RED w/gray pop

...And when the people see how lacking and under powered all the new models are the sales will start to drop...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 03:34 PM   #119
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

BMW is hedging their bets, as are many other manufacturers. if car 'subscription' services take off, it will disrupt their business/distribution model like Uber did to the hire car industry.

if they are one of the early entrants, then they get a piece and are less likely to be left out in the cold. all of this makes sense except for the price. if anything, they should lead with a loss so that they can get enough customers to really pressure test the program and grab market share up front.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 04:39 PM   #120
bmw_genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30

The amount of negative feedback is a bit disappointing because I don't think everyone is quite understanding the concept of the program.

Yes, $2000-$3000 is a lot for a vehicle payment when you consider you could purchase an M5 for around the same cost, but that's not the point or what you are paying for. The premium cost is going toward the fact that you can swap out your vehicle as you wish from the touch of a button on your cell phone and have it delivered to you.

This is the perfect kind of fit for someone that already doesn't mind to spend a lot on a vehicle and knows they will want something different or brand new at the drop of a hat. This type of system will allow that without them getting super upside down in negative equity or being stuck in a lease.

Cheers to BMW and I hope this program does well and spreads to more regions!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 04:53 PM   #121
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I'll swap my ride at enterprise exotics for less than a third if the price including insurance and maintenance. Not sure I should pay several times the amount just so someone can deliver it for me not worth the extra cost. I may want to drive something other than a bmw that might cost more than a bmw or m car as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 08:16 PM   #122
spiceyxi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 528i, '06 Z4C & '13 135i

It could be a good deal if you have terribly high insurance rates, plenty of cash and live in Nashville.

I'll stick to the used market with a warranty program. It would be fun for a month though.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 08:44 PM   #123
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
This is what you guys are missing- BMW is putting MORE VALUE on everything BUT the car and saying this is worth more than the car itself on a monthly basis.

Those things include flexibility, convenience, NEW CAR whenever you want, and EVERYTHING PAID FOR; you can have a new car everyday if you'd like, you can have the car delivered to your door or wherever you are; a BMW concierge will deliver it to you whenever you want (anytime). The car will be professionally detailed when you get it and fully fueled. Personal preferences (whatever that means) will already be set and ready once the driver gets in. You aren't stuck in a contract and can get out of said car whenever you want, you don't have to worry about damage or dents and if you'll be charged for those things like you typically worry about at the end of a lease, INSURANCE IS INCLUDED which in itself is a big perk, BMW Roadside Assistance is INCLUDED which is a nice plus, and vehicle maintenance is INCLUDED which adds up as well.
It's not a new a car every swipe of the app, as the vehicles will be re-used within the access fleet. "How new are the vehicles?
All vehicles are the current or prior model year. "
Current 3 year leases already have maintainance and road side assist included, so is windshield wiper replacements and washer fluid such a convenience? Furthermore, "What is the condition of the vehicles?
We are committed to delivering vehicles that are in excellent condition. To that end, we use technology to ensure that the vehicles are properly maintained and driven responsibly."

Looks like Big Brother will be looking over your driving style, as for the M tier this is concerning. "What data does Access by BMW collect?
We want to ensure the best service and safety for all of our members. To do so, we keep track of various data points to record vehicle and driver history."

Fuel is not included as under the FAQ's:
"All vehicles are delivered with a full tank of gas, and members are only responsible for the fuel they use. If you switch a vehicle without a full tank, your concierge will refill the vehicle and add the charge to your account following your switch.We never charge a fuel premium or convenience fee.

What value do you see in this? Over on Bimmerfest a Fester posted that he stopped by the Nashville dealership and they don't have every car available.

Damage is not included as the FAQ's:
"Are members responsible for their Access by BMW vehicle?
Yes, we expect our members to take care of the vehicles as if they owned them. Please drive responsibly, keep your vehicle clean, and let us know of any minor dings or spills via the Access by BMW app."

Personally, I can afford the M Tier access @ $3,700, but prefer my own personal two M vehicles, ordered and optioned to my style, in the convenience of my garage. So to save the detailing, people are going to be inconvenienced by filling up their current access vehicle with gas before swipping the app for a replacement vehicle that can be a prior model year? With a 3 year lease only the last year is your vehicle not a current or former model year, but that is all forgotten ordering for an ED experience during that last year.

Referrenced FAQ's can be found here: https://www.accessbybmw.com/faq#faq-topQuestions
cotmfk2060.00
      04-05-2018, 08:46 PM   #124
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceyxi View Post
It could be a good deal if you have terribly high insurance rates, plenty of cash and live in Nashville.

I'll stick to the used market with a warranty program. It would be fun for a month though.
BMW FS needs to do a background check prior to enrolling into access program, so I'm sure high risk drivers will be declined.
      04-06-2018, 12:09 PM   #125
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadar View Post
Same up here in NW Indiana. $2000 a month is an insane house!
Studio apartment (possibly) in Bay Area
Damn!
      04-06-2018, 12:12 PM   #126
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Better question is...who the f*ck lives in Tennessee?

I suspect such a program could do very well in cities like Vancouver which are flooded with Asians who have "f*ck you" type of money. These people don't have to think before they spend like even a lot of reasonably rich folks do.
HCA executives, country music singers, NFL & NHL. Lot's of health care firms in the Nashville, TN area.
Nashville is f-ing loaded with wealth..it's one of the top 3 fastest growing cities in the country look it up.
I love visiting Nashville.
      04-06-2018, 12:32 PM   #127
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

another great benefit of the program is getting to breathe in the combined farts of all the other drivers in the 'club'. that's gotta be worth something, amirite!!
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2018, 04:29 AM   #128
Spara
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_genius View Post
The amount of negative feedback is a bit disappointing because I don't think everyone is quite understanding the concept of the program.

Yes, $2000-$3000 is a lot for a vehicle payment when you consider you could purchase an M5 for around the same cost, but that's not the point or what you are paying for. The premium cost is going toward the fact that you can swap out your vehicle as you wish from the touch of a button on your cell phone and have it delivered to you.

This is the perfect kind of fit for someone that already doesn't mind to spend a lot on a vehicle and knows they will want something different or brand new at the drop of a hat. This type of system will allow that without them getting super upside down in negative equity or being stuck in a lease.

Cheers to BMW and I hope this program does well and spreads to more regions!
This isn’t designed for a wealthy enthusiast who likes to swap out cars- it’s designed for...I don’t know who it’s designed for. I do like the concept though and would consider such a program for exotics.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 09:38 PM   #129
R0ut3r
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 Lamborghini Urus, 2021 Fe

Hey guys

If this allows you to have a car served to you on the tarmac when you land in the city you have to work in that week it makes heaps of sense.

I'm always sad leaving my cars behind and then getting whatever the rental companies have on offer, which is usually not M. I most often end up with X5 (with a N55) or 530... and that already costs 600$ a week.

I don't know. Sounds like I need more information to pass judgment on the program.
Montreal, Canada
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 10:04 PM   #130
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
This is beyond ridiculous.

$3000/month+ and it does not even include fuel or damages. Additionally, BMW is free to monitor everything you're doing with the vehicle. Can anybody tell me exactly why I would want this? Or how a lowly peasent such as myself can afford (or would even want to) spend this kind of money on a car?

No thank you, I'll just outright buy a car like I did with my M235i. It's mine, I can do whatever I want with it and BMW doesn't get to monitor my every move...

If I'd wanted to drive multiple M cars, it'd still be cheaper to just hire them or go to a local dealer. Even in an anti-car country like the Netherlands most dealers have M models in stock.

BMW is acting like a software company. Everything needs to be subscription based. It's disgusting.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2018, 10:24 PM   #131
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjkoevoets View Post
This is beyond ridiculous.

$3000/month+ and it does not even include fuel or damages. Additionally, BMW is free to monitor everything you're doing with the vehicle. Can anybody tell me exactly why I would want this? Or how a lowly peasent such as myself can afford (or would even want to) spend this kind of money on a car?

No thank you, I'll just outright buy a car like I did with my M235i. It's mine, I can do whatever I want with it and BMW doesn't get to monitor my every move...

If I'd wanted to drive multiple M cars, it'd still be cheaper to just hire them or go to a local dealer. Even in an anti-car country like the Netherlands most dealers have M models in stock.

BMW is acting like a software company. Everything needs to be subscription based. It's disgusting.
No, it wouldn't be cheaper to rent M cars for a month. Great that you have an M235i, but we're talking about somewhat higher end vehicles here. For people for whom money is secondary. Convenience (and prestige) is (are) primary.

When this comes to L.A. I might give it a try.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 10:57 PM   #132
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBimmer View Post
No, it wouldn't be cheaper to rent M cars for a month. Great that you have an M235i, but we're talking about somewhat higher end vehicles here. For people for whom money is secondary. Convenience (and prestige) is (are) primary.

When this comes to L.A. I might give it a try.
Those "higher end" vehicles are still not worth $3000/month+. Nor is the "convenience" of being able to swap to a different car every day. But hey, BMW is always looking for new sheep

At least I can buy an M235i outright with the only monthly payments being road taxes and insurance. But enjoy being screwed out of nearly $4k a month for the "convenience" of driving in cars you'll never own.

EDIT: I also can't wait for car manufacturers to come up with arbitrary traffic rules to ensure you treat THEIR car well. I can guarantee this will happen. Very similar to European insurance companies offering discounts to drivers that have black boxes installed on their cars.

This is a blatant money grab targeting "rich folk", nothing more.

-----

EDIT 2: To make matters worse, I'm actually thinking of Dutch pricing. And even then it makes absolutely little sense IMHO.
- M235i = €72,000 / $88,000
- M2 = €90,000 / $110,600
- M3 = €118,000 / $147,500
- M5 = €162,000 / $200,000

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.

Last edited by wjjkoevoets; 04-07-2018 at 11:12 PM..
Appreciate 0