BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

04-10-2024, 09:37 AM   #1
todao
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 760i

ASS Revisited

I’ve always hated the idea of ASS. I’ve driven cars where it’s so abrupt and the transition is anything but smooth.

When I got the 760 I was hoping it could be disabled. And to my dismay you can’t. I’ve had the car for almost a year and a half And I’ve gone to the other side! I now love ASS. When I roll up to a stoplight, the quiet in the car is wonderful. Further, after a year of ownership, I never notice the engine turning on when I give it gas from the light.

I’ve really come to enjoy the quietness of the car when it is stopped. Almost like the i7!
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004024.50
      04-10-2024, 10:15 AM   #2
pegogetem
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Garage List
2023 BMW 740i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by todao View Post
I’ve always hated the idea of ASS. I’ve driven cars where it’s so abrupt and the transition is anything but smooth.

When I got the 760 I was hoping it could be disabled. And to my dismay you can’t. I’ve had the car for almost a year and a half And I’ve gone to the other side! I now love ASS. When I roll up to a stoplight, the quiet in the car is wonderful. Further, after a year of ownership, I never notice the engine turning on when I give it gas from the light.

I’ve really come to enjoy the quietness of the car when it is stopped. Almost like the i7!
Driving in “SPORT” mode is the only way I know to disable it.
Appreciate 2
deutsch1004024.50
darylp310974.00
      04-10-2024, 01:13 PM   #3
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
I've come around on ASS also. It really doesn't bother me in the G70.
To disable it in Sport mode, Sport must be selected in "Drivetrain".
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004024.50
      04-10-2024, 09:37 PM   #4
Caveno
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 750

I’ve had my 760 for 7 months already and still not used to the ASS.

I still hate it. However I’m trying to get used to it. I feel like it’s really ruined my experience with the car. It just makes me paranoid.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004024.50
      04-11-2024, 08:25 AM   #5
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveno View Post
I’ve had my 760 for 7 months already and still not used to the ASS.

I still hate it. However I’m trying to get used to it. I feel like it’s really ruined my experience with the car. It just makes me paranoid.
If the car is making you paranoid, maybe there were tendencies there beforhand (my wife is a psychiatrist).
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004024.50
      04-11-2024, 10:16 AM   #6
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

What's Poppin' Y'all?

For those of you who do NOT like Auto Start Stop and/or use Sport and Efficient modes on a frequent basis, down below are a few tips that should (hopefully) make things easier for y'all:
NOTE: I've only tested this on iDrive 8.5 and so iDrive 8 users may have a different experience.
NOTE: Being that the i7 does NOT have Auto Start Stop, i7 drivers/owners can ignore most of the info down below.

1. Both Sport and Efficient (Eco) modes can be added to the favorites bar, and when selecting either mode from the favorites menu, will result in that mode being activated.
- This allows you to bypass having to go through the "MY Modes" button/app
- This will benefit those who use Sport mode to disable Auto Start Stop
- While theoretically "Expressive", "Theater", "Relax", and/or "Digital Art" modes can also be saved and activated from the favorites menu, it becomes redundant and useless to do so, being that you can enable these modes to become active upon starting your vehicle.

2. Remember that SPORT - Individual mode can be configured to have some or all of its driving settings be in "COMFORT" - Remember any variation of Sport mode will disable Auto Start Stop
- Yup! You can drive your vehicle in COMFORT mode by using SPORT - Individual lmao!

3. Max A/C, last time I checked, will also disable Auto Start Stop and the fan speed can be adjusted (lowered) while using Max A/C

4. Similar to Tip #1 - the menu where you can disable Auto Start Stop can also be saved to the Favorites menu - if done correctly, it should take you straight to the menu where you can disable Auto Start Stop (Deactivate one time)

Anyways, those are a few tips that should hopefully make things easier for y'all to either change driving modes or disable Auto Start Stop!
i7 drivers/owners, while y'all don't have Auto Start Stop, I hope these tips can benefit y'all as well!

A few side/closing notes about the driving modes and the Ambient Lighting Color:
1. I do NOT like how changing the driving mode will also change the layout in the instrument cluster (and in some cases the content too) and it will also change the Ambient Lighting Color - rather you like it or not
- In case y'all did not know, MY23 and MY24 X5/X6/X7/XM all have a unique setting that allows the Driving mode and the Ambient Lighting Color be separate from each other (e.g., If your ambient lighting in an X7 is set to "Turquoise", switching to Sport mode will result in the Ambient Lighting color not changing and will remain as Turquoise - switching to Sport mode in the MY24 5/7/X1/X2/iX will change the ambient lighting color to Red/Blue, rather you like it or not!)

2. I think BMW should've added a "Rainbow" setting to the Ambient Lighting feature to allow it to cycle (fade) through many different colors at a slow speed(e.g., Green --> Aqua --> Blue --> Purple --> Red, etc.)

3. I will NEVER get tired of those Automatic Doors and I found out yesterday that you can tell BMW to open/close the doors as well! Hahahah
NOTE: My neighbor just got a 7 and she named her car (i.e., the wake word) to "Hello HAL" and those who've seen 2001 Space Oddessy (1968) will know which HAL I am referring too Haha!

Anyways, stay safe out there my BMW fam-bam!

Cameron
Appreciate 1
pegogetem131.50
      04-11-2024, 02:03 PM   #7
patchan8984
Rep
Drives: BMW 840iCV, i7 x60

I will add that once added to the favorites bar, you can program in the two gestures (two fingers, or the open hand/closed hand/open hand) to some of these features. I have one set for driver side massage seats and the other to trigger the rear sunscreen. I may swap one of them out to automatically switch to sport mode...but the speech instruction isn't too hard to do that.
Appreciate 0