BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

05-03-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Thumbs up Car and Driver: 2009 BMW 750Li vs. 2009 Mercedes-Benz S550

review: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...omparison_test

Executive sweets: We compare two high-end sedans that just might fly below the corporate austerity radar.

BY TONY SWAN, PHOTOGRAPHY BY JEFF ALLEN
May 2009

So you had to say goodbye to the Gulfstream, the corporate retreat in the Napa Valley, and your custom wastebasket—the decoupage job trimmed with pages from a Gutenberg Bible. Times are hard, and it just won’t do to be perceived as excessively self-indulgent—especially if you’re high up in the echelons of a publicly held corporation.

The new corporate Puritanism extends to automobiles, too, but in this area you have a little more latitude. Consider these two execucruisers. Yes, they’re flagship sedans with prestige brand names. But even in an age of austerity, top execs are still allowed some personal-transportation indulgence. You don’t want to be flaunting it with a Bentley, of course. But they don’t expect you to drive an econocube, either. We admit that greenies won’t approve. Both cars carry gas-guzzler taxes, and their mpg during our test—17 for the Mercedes, 16 for the BMW—is pickup-truck poor. And yes, pricing for both cars is a little high for public approval—more than $88,000 base, well over 100 large as tested—but who knows that?

See, that’s the good part. To casual observers—not you or us, of course—one BMW sedan looks pretty much like another. That goes for Mercedes sedans, too, with the added benefit of looking like a Hyundai—though we’re pretty sure no one in Stuttgart perceives any advantage in this.

So, elegantly subliminal and not too likely to attract a lot of invidious attention. With cars bearing price tags like these, you expect more than understated grandeur. You expect power. Comfort. Upscale interior appointments. Technical sophistication. Dynamic competence. Even night vision.

Check. Both cars deliver on these expectations, and neither is likely to disappoint its owner. But of course there are distinctions, and in at least one category, the distinction isn’t particularly subtle.

There are other high-end sedans that meet our (relatively) low-profile criteria—the Audi A8L, the Maserati Quattroporte, the Jaguar XJ Super V-8, and the Lexus LS460L, or even the LS600hL hybrid, which adds a greenish tint to your comings and goings. But we confine ourselves here to the Bimmer and the Benz, the former because it’s new, the latter because it prevailed in our most recent comparison of long-wheelbase luxosedans . Here’s how the games played out.

2009 BMW 750Li
First place: Executive sweets.

In its last comparo appearance, the 750Li not only missed the winner’s circle—in itself a rarity for a BMW in C/D showdowns—it finished short of runner-up honors, too, placing third behind an Audi A8L and barely ahead of a Jaguar. Wow. What’s up with that?

In order of scoring magnitude, the offending elements were ergonomics (read: iDrive), exterior styling, interior styling, and, shockingly, fit and finish.

That was generation four in a family that dates to 1978. Here’s generation five, which not only addresses our gen-four demerits but adds some techno goodies that actually enhance the car’s safety index, as well as its basic BMW virtues—athletic reflexes in particular. The dreaded iDrive secondary-control collective has been overhauled and augmented with some auxiliary buttons that make it far more navigable, even to the staff’s card-carrying Luddite. The slab sides and “Bangle butt” that made the previous 7 hard to love have been replaced by strong horizontal character lines and a going-away view that’s still BMW but more cohesive—enhanced by clusters of LED turn signals, front and rear.

Inside, the BMW’s front seats get the edge for comfort and support, the optional head-up display ($1300) is a plus, and the
night-vision system with pedestrian detection ($2600) is remarkable. There were a couple of other extras in our loaded test car—a ceramic shifter ($650) and the $2500 Luxury Seating package (heated wheel, power rear sunshade, rear side-window sunshades, ventilated front-seat upholstery, driver-seat massage, heated rear seats)—that wouldn’t be missed if omitted.

But having experienced the Sport package—it includes active roll stabilization, 19-inch wheels wearing Goodyear Excellence run-flats (245/45 front, 275/40 rear), and BMW’s latest variable-ratio Integral Active Steering system that now includes speed-sensitive rear steering—we’d hate to leave home without it, even though it’s the priciest option ticket on the list at $4900. More on this in a minute.

This is a bigger car than the fourth-generation 750Li, which was far from petite. The wheelbase has grown from 123.2 to 126.4 inches, the track is wider, and overall length is up 1.4 inches, to 205.3. That’s a little bigger than the Benz. The only bigger car in this segment is Jaguar’s Super V-8, but the aluminum-intensive Jag scales in much lighter. The new 750Li is heavier than its 2007 predecessor—4760 pounds versus 4600. Heavier than the Benz, too.

Getting all that mass moving requires carrier-takeoff thrust, supplied by a twin-turbo, 4.4-liter V-8—a little more horsepower than the previous naturally aspirated 4.8-liter V-8 (400 versus 360) and a lot more torque (450 pound-feet versus 360). That’s enough to produce 0-to-60 sprints in 5.2 seconds, and if there’s a hint of turbo lag, it’s only in contrast to the immediacy of the Benz V-8.

More impressive, though, is what this big Bimmer can do on a fast back road. The combination of a new multilink front suspension (replacing the previous struts), a redesigned rear suspension, electronically controlled damping with four driver presets (comfort, normal, sport, and sport plus), active roll stabilization, and rear-wheel steering gives this car a level of cornering power and transient response that’s nothing short of phenomenal.

Though grip is modest at 0.82 g, the steering system, which turns the rear wheels in the same direction as the fronts (up to three degrees) at speeds over 37 mph, enhances turn-in. This is reflected in the lane-change test, where the Bimmer had a decided edge, and was even more dramatic on mountain roads. The faster we went, the better the BMW performed and the more confidence it inspired.

Is this sort of driving important to many of the execs who shop the cars in this price realm? Probably not. But it should be.

Name:  comparo1.jpg
Views: 6358
Size:  185.1 KB

Name:  comparo2.jpg
Views: 12259
Size:  175.4 KB

Name:  comparo3.jpg
Views: 5592
Size:  158.6 KB

Name:  comparo4.jpg
Views: 5468
Size:  186.4 KB

Name:  comparo5.jpg
Views: 5595
Size:  171.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 12:58 AM   #2
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

nice, but I'd still get the benz for looks
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 01:15 AM   #3
Sam12345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: jet black 335i coupe

Garage List
2008 335i Coupe  [0.00]
benz is betterr
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 01:23 AM   #4
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

The benz has an outdated look by now...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 02:30 AM   #5
Master Deep
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
I don't like how the s-class looks. The 7 is better but not by much. Just looks boring now. But i'm sure it drives great for such a big car.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 11:10 AM   #6
lostkhan
Lieutenant
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: 135i

A8 W12 for me
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #7
numba1guju
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 VW Jetta

test drove the 7 and S...prefer the 7 all the way...its an all around perfect car(minus gas mileage)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #8
Fastbuck
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F01 740d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
The benz has an outdated look by now...

True, I never did get those rear arches though. I think they've ruined the new E class by putting them on that too.

Fastbuck
2012 F01 740d M Sport Alpine White Oyster/ Oyster
2013 E84 X1 1.8d M Sport Alpine White Black/ Black
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 01:36 PM   #9
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

The arches are from MB history. The Sindelfingen body, aka the Pontoon of the 1950's. Sorta a trademark for Benz, like the analog clock on the dash.

Not saying it works in the new designs, but that's why they are there.

One thing between the 750 and the S, is that the S is the car I'd rather be in if I got into a major accident. Safety has been important with MB throughout history. Not so much with BMW, unfortunately.

MB has a much longer auto manufacturing history over all the other mfgs.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #10
mcacciola
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i, Silver - M Sport

Driving the Benz, is like being at the reading room of a big old library. You don't know you are there.

The Beemer is always the driver's choice.

But as many things in life. It's all subjective to you.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #11
Fastbuck
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F01 740d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
The arches are from MB history. The Sindelfingen body, aka the Pontoon of the 1950's. Sorta a trademark for Benz, like the analog clock on the dash.

Not saying it works in the new designs, but that's why they are there.

One thing between the 750 and the S, is that the S is the car I'd rather be in if I got into a major accident. Safety has been important with MB throughout history. Not so much with BMW, unfortunately.

MB has a much longer auto manufacturing history over all the other mfgs.

I had a W211 and a W203 a few years ago, so I'm no stranger to the brand but the current S and new E just don't do it for me style wise. I'm not sure of your safety comparison either, I think the NCAP and USA equivalent crash test results are fairly similar between the brands.

Fastbuck
2012 F01 740d M Sport Alpine White Oyster/ Oyster
2013 E84 X1 1.8d M Sport Alpine White Black/ Black
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #12
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbuck View Post
I had a W211 and a W203 a few years ago, so I'm no stranger to the brand but the current S and new E just don't do it for me style wise. I'm not sure of your safety comparison either, I think the NCAP and USA equivalent crash test results are fairly similar between the brands.
I've had a lot of MBs and Bimmers in my past, also. And as we all know the BMW is the driver's car. But the MB is a stronger build, imho.

I agree about the new W212 E-Klasse. I dislike the body design, too. I have a 2009 W211 only as my daily driver; it's comfortable and effortless to drive. My P-car is for the hard driving weekend and track stuff.

I don't know of any crash tests for the S nor the 7ers. The IIHS (a gold standard here) has not tested them. So, not sure where you saw the numbers. NCAP has not crashed them either. So again, not sure what you're talking about there.

MB has been revolutionary in it's safety features. It doesn't advertise it however. They invented crumple zones in 1957. They are innovative and the first in passive and active safety, and their trademarked Pre-Safe system. The list is long in safety firsts.

All these innovations are first implemented in the S-Klasse. Airbags were first introduced in Europe with the S. BMW only follows in safety implementations although it's arguably first in many engine design and chassis builds.

And that was my only point: I'd rather be in an S-Klasse over a 750 if it came to an accident.

Driving fun would go to the BMW. And that's why I have two cars
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 08:20 PM   #13
Master Deep
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
bmw's are quite safe. (Just see Usain Bolt's M3...) I had a friend who totaled his 328 and walked away with barely any scratches. The 7 has to be even safer.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 11:19 PM   #14
ZuerstBMW
¡Viva España!
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i Mineral White

They got it right in the first picture(the old guy driving the Benz and the younger the BMW)
      05-03-2009, 11:32 PM   #15
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuerstBMW View Post
They got it right in the first picture(the old guy driving the Benz and the younger the BMW)

That's what I thought too the first time I looked at the pictures
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 10:17 AM   #16
E39hijinks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Lexus

Sorry but that's the biggest load of crap I've ever heard.

BMW has also been big on safety. In fact go check out the dated E90 chassis vs the new C-Class chassis test results from IIHS. The technical measurements with respect to the chassis movement, particularly lower footwell and A-pillar movement (Among all other measurements) is either comparable or BETTER in the E90. Translation? The chassis is just as strong.

Further, the superior passive and active handling in the 7-Series will allow you to avoid an accident altogether.

So with that being said, I'd rather be behind the wheel of a BMW so I can fare better in an accident I wouldn't have gotten into in the first place.

MBs and BMWs are both safe cars... but this proves that Mercedes aren't invincible... but I'm sure you knew that.

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/eclass...0523_002.shtml

Mass wins every time. Truth is you put any car... ANY CAR up against an immovable object at high speed. It's toast.

Quote:
Safety has been important with MB throughout history. Not so much with BMW, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #17
E39hijinks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Lexus

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/datatabl...lass=15&type=f

"BMW was presented with the "Safe Car of the Millennium" award by the International Brain Injury Association (IBIA) in recognition of the company's Head Protection System (HPS) - a safety engineering advance that can help reduce the risk of brain injury in the event of a severe side impact. This is the first ever award given by the IBIA to recognize an automobile manufacturer's contribution to the prevention of head injuries.

'As motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of brain injury worldwide, BMW is to be applauded for their achievement in making automobiles safer," explains George A. Zitnay, PhD, President and CEO of the International Brain Injury Association. "BMW approached the problem of brain injuries resulting from automobile crashes with the idea that injury could be prevented - not just minimized. As a result, they designed an innovative restraining system that surpasses current head injury restraint standards in the U.S. IBIA encourages other industries and manufacturers to follow the example set by BMW."

In case of a side-impact collision, the Head Protection System (HPS) - which is integrated in the A-pillar and roofline - supplements the effect of the side airbags that are integrated in the door panels. Only this combination of cushioning devices helps to reduce head rotation and ensure a head-neck spine alignment needed to help prevent serious head or spinal injuries."

I am well aware that Mercedes is big on innovation, but BMW does not take safety lightly. Geezus
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #18
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcacciola View Post
Driving the Benz, is like being at the reading room of a big old library. You don't know you are there.

The Beemer is always the driver's choice.

But as many things in life. It's all subjective to you.
In the US, this statement is mostly true. But don't fall into that category of persons that believe that whatever the "norm" is in the US is what the "norm" is or should be everywhere else.

MB has quite a large following in many countries across the pond. And though stock forms can be less entertaining than some would like, there are plenty of cures for that sort of ill...

All of that said, my blood platelets are the shape of BMW roundel's. Though the front of the 7er is leaves more to be desired, its innards are very impressive.

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 09:01 PM   #19
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by numba1guju View Post
test drove the 7 and S...prefer the 7 all the way...its an all around perfect car(minus gas mileage)
Wait for the F10 5er.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 09:57 PM   #20
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E39hijinks View Post
Sorry but that's the biggest load of crap I've ever heard.

BMW has also been big on safety. In fact go check out the dated E90 chassis vs the new C-Class chassis test results from IIHS. The technical measurements with respect to the chassis movement, particularly lower footwell and A-pillar movement (Among all other measurements) is either comparable or BETTER in the E90. Translation? The chassis is just as strong.
Umm, not talking about C-Klasse nor E90s here. (And if you want to talk other than the 7 Series and the S-Klasse, the 5 Series was a disaster in crash tests, no pun intended.)

Anyway, all I said is that I'd personally rather be in a S-Klasse then a 7er when it comes to an accident. Really, don't take it so personally. I'm not sure what your "wrecked exotics" pic actually means(?) I once saw a pic of an armored Humvee taken out by two diesel locomotives.

MB has pioneered safety. They invented a lot of the safety features cars use now. BMW also uses those features. And that's what I pointed out. Again, please don't get your knickers in a bunch. It's just car talk.

That said, I've owned many BMWs. Including a 1600 and a 2002 tii. And many modern ones too. I love them, they are great cars.

And I've also owned many MBs and P-cars, too. Equally excellent cars. I own MB and Porsche as my current choices, but am considering an M5 in 2010. I'm hoping for something great, we'll see.

btw, who is Geezus?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #21
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Umm, not talking about C-Klasse nor E90s here. (And if you want to talk other than the 7 Series and the S-Klasse, the 5 Series was a disaster in crash tests, no pun intended.)

Anyway, all I said is that I'd personally rather be in a S-Klasse then a 7er when it comes to an accident. Really, don't take it so personally. I'm not sure what your "wrecked exotics" pic actually means(?) I once saw a pic of an armored Humvee taken out by two diesel locomotives.

MB has pioneered safety. They invented a lot of the safety features cars use now. BMW also uses those features. And that's what I pointed out. Again, please don't get your knickers in a bunch. It's just car talk.

That said, I've owned many BMWs. Including a 1600 and a 2002 tii. And many modern ones too. I love them, they are great cars.

And I've also owned many MBs and P-cars, too. Equally excellent cars. I own MB and Porsche as my current choices, but am considering an M5 in 2010. I'm hoping for something great, we'll see.

btw, who is Geezus?
You also have to keep in mind that just because someone invented something, doesn't mean that they are the best at it. Often enough, companies that take an existing invention and implement it in their own way, improve on the original idea/function...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #22
martieg
Texas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i Black Sph PP/SP/NV/MTk

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Car and Drive always places BMW first.
Appreciate 0