BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

10-19-2016, 02:06 AM   #1
J4b3
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XF, 730 xdrive on order

24 hours later

Hi,

After seeing the dealer on Friday to sign some paperwork, I got a call Monday afternoon to say the car would be ready for pick-up at 4:30pm! Seeing as I hadn't yet got insurance, this was a frantic 2 hours as my current company wouldn't insure without a tracker being fitted, and it seems BMW don't offer a 7 day drive away deal that other dealers do. Eventually got sorted with Nationwide.

Anyway, car picked up at 5pm and yesterday I had a 160 mile trip to Watford to give it a try out

Spec is:
  • 730d xdrive
  • magellan grey
  • advanced parking package
  • seat ventillation
  • heat comfort package
  • driving assistant
  • head up display

Initial thoughts are good - I had the car set to adaptive but it felt a bit 'boaty' so changed to comfort and it seemed to handle better. Might just be a case of getting use to it after a sportier car

The adaptive cruise is good - it also does the steering (only up to 130mph!) on the basis that it can see the white lines. I don't think you can ever relax from the actual steering, but the package is a real benefit in stop start traffic

I've this morning managed to get car play installed so thanks to the other posters for input on this

Not sure about the key - it's a huge thing that needs constant charging and, apart from the remote parking, not sure yet of the benefits. am tempted to revert to the standard ones (as I can see myself letting it run flat and being stranded)

Got about 39mph on the trip down which I expect to increase as the car beds in

So far so good - once I understand how to post pictures I will
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 04:10 AM   #2
KQF
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 730d M Sing Grey, Mocha

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4b3 View Post
Hi,

After seeing the dealer on Friday to sign some paperwork, I got a call Monday afternoon to say the car would be ready for pick-up at 4:30pm! Seeing as I hadn't yet got insurance, this was a frantic 2 hours as my current company wouldn't insure without a tracker being fitted, and it seems BMW don't offer a 7 day drive away deal that other dealers do. Eventually got sorted with Nationwide.

Anyway, car picked up at 5pm and yesterday I had a 160 mile trip to Watford to give it a try out

Spec is:
  • 730d xdrive
  • magellan grey
  • seat ventillation
  • heat comfort package
  • driving assistant
  • head up display

Initial thoughts are good - I had the car set to adaptive but it felt a bit 'boaty' so changed to comfort and it seemed to handle better. Might just be a case of getting use to it after a sportier car

The adaptive cruise is good - it also does the steering (only up to 130mph!) on the basis that it can see the white lines. I don't think you can ever relax from the actual steering, but the package is a real benefit in stop start traffic

I've this morning managed to get car play installed so thanks to the other posters for input on this

Not sure about the key - it's a huge thing that needs constant charging and, apart from the remote parking, not sure yet of the benefits. am tempted to revert to the standard ones (as I can see myself letting it run flat and being stranded)

Sounding good so far, I'm with you on the key bit after the inital delight plan on leaving it as the spare at home and using the normal key

Look foward to the pics
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 06:20 AM   #3
oshevtsov
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90/E60/F10/F15/F16/F32/G11

Quote:
Couple of my observations re Display Key:

(1) Does seem huge, but the weight is moderate and when pocketed it feels lighter than it looks.

(2) When I first charged it to 100%, it lasted 12 days for me. I was not playing much with it though. When discharged the screen cannot be turned on, but basic functions (physical buttons) still work.

(3) In my usage scenario the only value added of the key is to start independent heating remotedly. I have used remote parking only to test and see what it is, otherwise it is pretty useless for me.

I am planning to install an aftermarket alarm system linked to my iPhone which will also support remote activation of independent heating/ventilation. Once this is done, I will be switching to 'regular' keyfob.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 06:41 AM   #4
KQF
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 730d M Sing Grey, Mocha

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshevtsov View Post
Couple of my observations re Display Key:

(1) Does seem huge, but the weight is moderate and when pocketed it feels lighter than it looks.

(2) When I first charged it to 100%, it lasted 12 days for me. I was not playing much with it though. When discharged the screen cannot be turned on, but basic functions (physical buttons) still work.

(3) In my usage scenario the only value added of the key is to start independent heating remotedly. I have used remote parking only to test and see what it is, otherwise it is pretty useless for me.

I am planning to install an aftermarket alarm system linked to my iPhone which will also support remote activation of independent heating/ventilation. Once this is done, I will be switching to 'regular' keyfob.
Thanks, good to know about charge and the fact that even when dead the key can still unlock and start the car?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 07:58 AM   #5
oshevtsov
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90/E60/F10/F15/F16/F32/G11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQF View Post
Thanks, good to know about charge and the fact that even when dead the key can still unlock and start the car?
Yes, it still allows you to unlock and start, even if you cannot turn on the display.

Though I have not pushed it to limits and do not know for how long physical buttons remain operational after the display stops turning on.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 05:06 PM   #6
tyzer
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 730d M-Sport Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4b3 View Post
Hi,

Spec is:
  • 730d xdrive
  • magellan grey
  • seat ventillation
  • heat comfort package
  • driving assistant
  • head up display

Good news j4, think I'm in agreement with most of what you have said. Still thinking about the key, if I didn't have the connected app it might have made sense and for me the remote park is a rarity. Don't forget the pics!
Appreciate 0