BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

08-25-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
anonymousmoose
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C200 AMG Sport

Question Cost of owning a E65 7 Series?

Hi all,

I've been doing research in BMW. Everything form a 3 (E90) to a 5 (E60) series. Well when browsing the online car classifieds here in Australia, I couldn't help but notice the depreciation drop on the 7 series E65 models (2002-2003).

I mean, here in OZ, you can get a E90 3 for around $35,000 year 2007 4 cylinder model. Or for the same $$$ go for a E65 8 2002. It looks like a 7 would be much more value for money BUT I guess there there is always more to meets the eye.

So I'm wondering, would a 7 be more more expensive to run then a 3? Obviously the fuel cost would be more but I'm moreso talking about maintenance etc. Are parts for a 7 more expensive then a 3 etc?

Are the E65 a reliable car 8 years old. Would it see me through the next 5 years or so.

Last edited by anonymousmoose; 08-25-2010 at 09:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Hmmmm no disrespect but i think if you have to ask then you are better off avoiding an e65 7 series. They cost what they do brand new for a reason. Just because they cost the same as the 3er used now does not mean service, maintenance and parts have depreciated too. Same as say a 10 year old Ferrari 360. May have depreciated plenty but insurance, servicing, parts, labour etc are still very expensive.

If you are seriously considering one then you may be better buying used from a BMW dealer, particularly one from the platinum program as these cars have been certified to a high standard and thus bmw offer free maintenance and warranty for 2 years. So in that time just insurance, rego and petrol to think about.

Despite their age remember this was the flagship model of their time, meaning first for everything and the technology slowly filters down to lesser models over many years. Meaning plenty both electrical and mechanical which can go wrong and thus $$$$$.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

I had my E65 745i for nearly 5 years. The car is Ok to keep under warranty as I had 6 year/100K warranty. Even with warranty you have to be patient. As BMW 7er are usually the first ones with the latest and greatest in technology and features that are not found in lower level models. So because of that you might have few more visits to the dealer then you really expected. Other then that the car is awesome to drive and is great fun to own.

As for the great value in used car market you are correct. One can pick up a used 7 or 8 year old BMW 7er for great price. However, there is a catch the BMW 7er car will cost you quite a bit in upkeep cost $$$. So if you can afford to spend a lot of cash in up keep. Then by all means go ahead and buy one. Other wise you would be better off buying some car under warranty that would be far less expensive to maintain.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0