BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

06-19-2018, 11:58 AM   #1
pgn29
Rep
Drives: 13 750 LiX

2013 F02 Misfire issues.....

Hi all,

I have a serious issue and need some help. I'll try to get a video posted of the noise. I started to hear a noise that sounded like a air leak, and got a check engine light on in my car. I changed the spark plugs and ignition coils but that didn't solve the issue. It sounds like the noise is coming from the 1-4 cylinder bank. I have searched all over for help on you tube, forum, etc and nada. It sounds like an air leak, misfire, etc. I got a P0300 code which is random misfire. I used a scope and listened to the injectors. Most sound fine but some have a knock sounds on both sides on the car. I have no clue what to look for or do here. Any advice please asap would be much appreciated as my car is inoperative at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 02:06 PM   #2
chinb7
Rep
Drives: 2013 Apina B7

If you are hearing air leaks, check you crankcase breather hoses... they get very brittle and were redesigned. Common problem. Also there is a common vacuum leak at the inlets for the turbos, redesigned gaskets there as well...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 04:51 PM   #3
pgn29
Rep

Thanks for your quick feedback! Do you know if there are any diagrams, videos, etc. that could assist me with your suggestions by chance? Thanks much!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 05:10 PM   #4
pgn29
Rep

Here is a link of the video exhibiting the noise. Any ideas??

https://youtu.be/i3IZjao1LkI
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 05:22 PM   #5
pgn29
Rep

https://youtu.be/i3IZjao1LkI
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 09:07 PM   #6
chinb7
Rep

Not sure what that is... are you certain you have the correct spark plugs? It looks as if you have the updated breather hoses. The turbo inlet you can't really see from above but I doubt that would cause the noise you are hearing.

What I would do is slightly move/wiggle every vacuum hose while the car is running and see if the idle changes. Free and easy...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 09:09 PM   #7
chinb7
Rep

also the round cylindrical object below the intake that has the hard lines connected to it is 1 of your high pressure fuel pumps. that could definitely cause the misfire as well. it is also mechanically driven by the cams I believe so I would scope that out to see if its causing the tapping I'm hearing...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 09:17 AM   #8
pgn29
Rep

Chinb7 thanks so much for your input. I will surely keep looking and take your advice. As for the plugs and coils, yes the are exactly the same bosch double platinum and bosch coils. I changed them to see if that would help with misfire but it didn't do anything to solve the noise issue or misfire I am having
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 12:23 PM   #9
chinb7
Rep

I'm just throwing stuff out there... I just went through a misfire situation with my Alpina B7 and I know how frustrating it is... are you running rich at all? Do you smell fuel out of the exhaust? Wondering if it possibly could be an injector? Maybe if you have the time, pull the plugs again on that bank, make sure none of them are soaked in fuel, make sure your coils are seated properly and plugged in, and none of the connectors are damaged.

What I would also probably do is clear all the codes, start the car up again and see what code(s) come up first and look there...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 12:26 PM   #10
chinb7
Rep

You also have both MAF sensors unplugged in the video which can't be helpful with trying to narrow it down... I know you had to remove the intake to gain access...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 08:03 AM   #11
pgn29
Rep

Chinb7, I can't thank you enough for all the suggestions. Yes even with the MAFs plugged in and all together the noise exists. I took everything off the top to see if the noise to could be located more precisely. I also answered some of your questions below.....

are you running rich at all? Yes. Extremely rough idle, car isn't drivable at all no power.

Do you smell fuel out of the exhaust? I was smelling exhaust fumes in the car when the car was drivable. It became progressively worse.

Wondering if it possibly could be an injector? Not sure how to check this issue

Maybe if you have the time, pull the plugs again on that bank, make sure none of them are soaked in fuel, make sure your coils are seated properly and plugged in, and none of the connectors are damaged. Yes indeed I checked this on both sides...

What I would also probably do is clear all the codes, start the car up again and see what code(s) come up first and look there... Yes did this as well. P0300 code comes up right away after clearing codes.
Appreciate 0