BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

11-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
redflagbj
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Exclamation Annoying Resonance between 45 and 55 mph

I have recently noticed a very annoying resonance from the rear part of my 740il when it travels at speed range between 45 and 55 mph. This resonance sounds like a very low frequency bass and you can feel pressure to ear from to time if you pay very close attention to it. This problem only surfaces after my car reaches 15k miles. Since it had been getting worse, I switched my old tires with 4 new non-RFTs which helped greatly in minmizing this annoying resonance during this speed range. Nevertheless, I can still hear it if the car runs on very smooth asphalt with the volume of this resonance being much lower than before, but it is still there. My friend's 760il has much louder resonance than mine during the same speed range. We checked this out with a local dealer and was told that this was a common issue with F02 long wheel base car design and there was no fix for it! Has anyone come across this same issue? If so, any success in fixing it? Any advice will be appreciated as this really drives me mad. Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by redflagbj
I have recently noticed a very annoying resonance from the rear part of my 740il when it travels at speed range between 45 and 55 mph. This resonance sounds like a very low frequency bass and you can feel pressure to ear from to time if you pay very close attention to it. This problem only surfaces after my car reaches 15k miles. Since it had been getting worse, I switched my old tires with 4 new non-RFTs which helped greatly in minmizing this annoying resonance during this speed range. Nevertheless, I can still hear it if the car runs on very smooth asphalt with the volume of this resonance being much lower than before, but it is still there. My friend's 760il has much louder resonance than mine during the same speed range. We checked this out with a local dealer and was told that this was a common issue with F02 long wheel base car design and there was no fix for it! Has anyone come across this same issue? If so, any success in fixing it? Any advice will be appreciated as this really drives me mad. Thanks a lot!
Try loading the trunk with pillows and blankets. That my shift the resonate frequency. An empty trunk is like a giant resonator.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
BPM3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW Active Hybrid 7 L

I have the similar issue with resonance in my ActiveHybrid7L also but you can only hear it if you pay attention to it. I took it back to the dealer, they said it's normal and no fix. But I am still skeptical about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
redflagbj
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPM3 View Post
I have the similar issue with resonance in my ActiveHybrid7L also but you can only hear it if you pay attention to it. I took it back to the dealer, they said it's normal and no fix. But I am still skeptical about it.
Sorry to hear this on yours! This seems to be a common issue with F02 design. A lot of F-02 740 and 750s are having this problem. But the strange thing is that this noise did not surface until I hit around 28000km on the odo meter. Before this it was perfectly fine! I am very sensitive to noise and I would have noticed this it were there within first 1000km. No difference whereever you sit inside the cabine. Tried to do the wheel alignment and change to all new tires, no change. Will take it back to dealer to see if there is a fix!
Appreciate 0